Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Protection from malware: Downloading custom Content

2...Next

Comments

• princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    ive been downloading cc for a long time now and never got a virus, heck, i dont even have an antivirus on my computer. a good adblocker would simply do the work.

Lucky you then. Windows 10 has it's own good (for a change) antivirus program in Windows Defender and that is good enough for most people. I have always found it better to be prepared. Using adblockers might mean that you cannot use some sites which depend on the revenue the adverts bring and that is a lot of news sites that I like to go to.

you can also modify your windows files so it blocks malware and ads automatically without needing an extension in your browser.
    That's a hosts file.

i dont see how your comments help with anything in this topic. yeah its a hosts file but not everyone knows whats a host file is. i was just trying to use simple language.
    all i use to protect my computer is an updated hosts file and windows defender and its just fine.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member

plopppo2 wrote: »
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    ive been downloading cc for a long time now and never got a virus, heck, i dont even have an antivirus on my computer. a good adblocker would simply do the work.

Lucky you then. Windows 10 has it's own good (for a change) antivirus program in Windows Defender and that is good enough for most people. I have always found it better to be prepared. Using adblockers might mean that you cannot use some sites which depend on the revenue the adverts bring and that is a lot of news sites that I like to go to.

you can also modify your windows files so it blocks malware and ads automatically without needing an extension in your browser.
    That's a hosts file.

i dont see how your comments help with anything in this topic. yeah its a hosts file but not everyone knows whats a host file is. i was just trying to use simple language.
    all i use to protect my computer is an updated hosts file and windows defender and its just fine.

You therefore are using an antivirus program. It was not very good before Windows 10 but good now and I would use it but I had just bought a year's worth of Avast Premium just before it was released.

"Windows Defender Antivirus is a built-in antimalware solution that provides security and antimalware management for desktops, portable computers, and servers2." Microsoft.
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Mendota wrote: »
    I am on topic. I'm sayin cc plum that's why I never use. I've always said it ruins the game and now a computer aswell. There's plenty and plenty of evidence of it's malicious potential. Why anyone downloads or uses it is beyond me.

You are being very unfair and unhelpful. I have used CC in all my sims games and I never had issues. It is just a matter of sticking to safe sites. Mod the Sims being one example. It is true that unfortunately many creators try and use cheap free sites to host their content and therein lies the problem, but it is simply wrong for you to call CC plum and make fun of someone's misfortune. Just today I downloaded from MTS a canning station that allows you to make jams and jelly to sell and eat. It is done by a very gifted creator who custom content foods have really added to my game. And then there is MC commander that many use to add story progression and many other features to their game. These programmers give of their time and add much to the community and enjoyment of the game. If you choose to not use CC fine, but don't come and make derogatory comments.

It's not derogatory, it's a fact cc and mods ruin the game. It's so common nowadays that when you have a problem and post about it the first thing you get told is to remove cc and mods. Like, how is that fair and helpful when I don't use any?
    All I meant was what do people expect then when they download this stuff. It's obvious that most of the time it's not gonna work cause it's not original game content by the actual game creators. No need to get mad at the cc creator, just yourself.

Not a fact. Big difference between fact and opinion. If it was a fact, everyone would have problems with mods and cc ruining their game and that's not true. I play with lots off cc and mods and have no problems.
    Some good insight and recommendations from this thread. Real bummer you got done like that by lousy creators. Super important to only use well-known and trusted sites. I don't even download anything hosted on mediafire personally. Custom content doesn't "ruin the game" either and that certainly isn't a "fact." Not sure why that even needs to be said. Hope OP can banish this malware.

okay I'll tag you every time i post about a problem with my game and you can say that to the people who ask me to remove cc and mods, thanks :)

And distorting the "facts" to try to make your point, doesn't make it true, either. Fact... there is bad mods and cc out there, that can cause problems within the game. Not "ruining" the game, just graphic glitches, performance issues, or start up issues. Yes, that is a fact. Bad cc or mods can cause problems, but not "ruin" the game. And there is much more mods and cc that do not ruin the game (fact), but actually enhance it and make it better (my opinion. see the difference?).

Again, if it was a "fact" that mods and cc "ruined" the game, NO cc or mods would work. Instead it's simply a matter of poorly made cc or mods and/or outdated cc or mods cause "problems" within the game. That is a fact. What you said is an opinion. Your opinion and probably others opinion, and you and they are entitled to it, but don't try to pass it off as a fact.
  • dominimpdominimp Posts: 162 Member
    >:)

It usually isn't the site that causes the cc malware but the author who uploads it.

If the site itself is malware, usually browsers detect it and prevent the site from loading.

Keep track of the authors who upload it and mark down which authors are safe and which are not. Stick to small number of sites that have cc on them as opposed to several 100 sites. If you keep your websites that have cc on them smaller, then trusting authors will deliver you good content.

In a similar position as the OP: In Sims 2 (Many moons ago) I went on a CC spree and didn't take my own advice, I went to google and clicked everything for the first 5 pages. Sims 3 is when I took my own advice and only went to 3 sites.

Sims 2 CC I had was in the thousands and I didn't mark down the authors, ultimately causing extreme game lag, virus', and an all-around bad time.

Bottom line is stick to a small number of sites, never download from an author who gave you malware from a piece of cc you really like. Digital items, no matter how visually stunning they may be, is worth the cost of buying a virus scanner to remove nasty virus' said item injects onto your PC.

IMO

>:)
  • FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    I've never had issues but what annoys me is when you get to >.> 'adfly' and all those other ones and they ask you to turn your adblock off... I don't care how beautiful the CC is if you want me to turn my adblock off you can wave goodbye.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    I am on topic. I'm sayin cc plum that's why I never use. I've always said it ruins the game and now a computer aswell. There's plenty and plenty of evidence of it's malicious potential. Why anyone downloads or uses it is beyond me.

You are being very unfair and unhelpful. I have used CC in all my sims games and I never had issues. It is just a matter of sticking to safe sites. Mod the Sims being one example. It is true that unfortunately many creators try and use cheap free sites to host their content and therein lies the problem, but it is simply wrong for you to call CC plum and make fun of someone's misfortune. Just today I downloaded from MTS a canning station that allows you to make jams and jelly to sell and eat. It is done by a very gifted creator who custom content foods have really added to my game. And then there is MC commander that many use to add story progression and many other features to their game. These programmers give of their time and add much to the community and enjoyment of the game. If you choose to not use CC fine, but don't come and make derogatory comments.

It's not derogatory, it's a fact cc and mods ruin the game. It's so common nowadays that when you have a problem and post about it the first thing you get told is to remove cc and mods. Like, how is that fair and helpful when I don't use any?
    All I meant was what do people expect then when they download this stuff. It's obvious that most of the time it's not gonna work cause it's not original game content by the actual game creators. No need to get mad at the cc creator, just yourself.

Not a fact. Big difference between fact and opinion. If it was a fact, everyone would have problems with mods and cc ruining their game and that's not true. I play with lots off cc and mods and have no problems.
    Some good insight and recommendations from this thread. Real bummer you got done like that by lousy creators. Super important to only use well-known and trusted sites. I don't even download anything hosted on mediafire personally. Custom content doesn't "ruin the game" either and that certainly isn't a "fact." Not sure why that even needs to be said. Hope OP can banish this malware.

okay I'll tag you every time i post about a problem with my game and you can say that to the people who ask me to remove cc and mods, thanks :)

And distorting the "facts" to try to make your point, doesn't make it true, either. Fact... there is bad mods and cc out there, that can cause problems within the game. Not "ruining" the game, just graphic glitches, performance issues, or start up issues. Yes, that is a fact. Bad cc or mods can cause problems, but not "ruin" the game. And there is much more mods and cc that do not ruin the game (fact), but actually enhance it and make it better (my opinion. see the difference?).

Again, if it was a "fact" that mods and cc "ruined" the game, NO cc or mods would work. Instead it's simply a matter of poorly made cc or mods and/or outdated cc or mods cause "problems" within the game. That is a fact. What you said is an opinion. Your opinion and probably others opinion, and you and they are entitled to it, but don't try to pass it off as a fact.

So you're saying what I'm saying, it's a fact that cc and mods ruin the game. Cool.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Karallyne wrote: »
    CC doesn't "ruin" your game. The worst it usually ever does is just not work or look bad.

Being paranoid about CC and not wanting to use it is perfectly fine, the rest of us aren't plum for using it, though. You see people reply to remove mods and cc as the first step to solve a problem just because there are plenty of people who aren't bright enough to do that themselves (and usually you see that the problem wasn't even caused by their mods or cc).

I just found that response kind of funny (in like a "that's really dumb" kind of way) because if you're posting threads about problems you're having in the game and people are telling you to remove mods and cc as a first step when you don't have any, then obviously mods and cc aren't causing your problems, are they.

The game has bugs, that's why my game doesn't work how it's supposed to sometimes. But most people I see post here have their problems solved by removing cc and mods. And it's sad that some third party crap has become the default.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • BookworkgirlBookworkgirl Posts: 129 Member

Sorry I have put liked on the thread I thought you were laughing cause I stuffed up so thanks for explaining! :)Most of the custom content is okay but as I found they are those suspicious ones where like me if you just click and then get infected! Like I totally ignore the ad vert site where the file was located and open up a funny webpage and then open again to another site to download. I did not know you need to be extra careful going on main sites to author sites and then clicking on a link. Now I will do that and teach everyone here how! :) So everyone here can be protected no matter what accidental site they come across. Its not 100% you won't get infected but it helps! :)
  • FrootyDiamondFrootyDiamond Posts: 15 Member
    Yikes!!! Sorry to everyone about this btw, I don't think I've had this issue. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I don't really have an anti virus thing, only the thing that came in with windows 10
    edited August 2017
    Yikes!!! Sorry to everyone about this btw, I don't think I've had this issue. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I don't really have an anti virus thing, only the thing that came in with windows 10

If you do not have antivirus protection please scan your computer right away with Trial! And see if anything is found on your comp! After that install shadow defender and pay for it and also Comodo internet security.

Here is some advice to know if your system is infected

http://support.eset.com/kb2563/?locale=en_US

https://www.itechtics.com/kaspersky-2017-offline-installers-download-links/
    Post edited by Bookworkgirl on
    I've never had issues but what annoys me is when you get to >.> 'adfly' and all those other ones and they ask you to turn your adblock off... I don't care how beautiful the CC is if you want me to turn my adblock off you can wave goodbye.

Yes thanks for mentioning that site! But no need to worry of ad blockers when you have sandbox, or comodo sandbox to protect you! The ads cannot harm you. But i was silly and went to those sites with out even any protection cause i thought author site was fully ok. :(

Adfly has also been blacklisted
    https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/adf.ly
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited August 2017

You are incorrect Mods and CC do not ruin the game, they more than likely enhance game play. They ask people to remove their mods and CC (if they have any) just so they can eliminate that first, they do break sometimes but most big mod/CC creators update their stuff regularly. I have a few mods/CC that are from 2015 and still work great in my game. You have been on this forum long enough to know that quite a lot of people that play vanilla have problems with their game as well.

Most of us that use CC/Mods know the risks we are taking hence all of the helpful sites people are listing in this thread. As @mendota wrote a lot of the mods/CC make the game that much more enjoyable, I also use MC Command Center, and wouldn't play my game without it, it does so much in terms of game play, one of which is eliminating annoying autonomous actions that so many people still complain about. It is updated and Deaderpool adds new things all of the time. Eg, if your baby/child gets taken away due to neglect, it doesn't get deleted from your game, it will now be adopted by another family, so you have the chance to add it back to your family if you wish, some people here on the forum have been asking for male/female only clubs, MCCC lets you have them.
    There are other mods that actually fix some of the bugs we have in the game, if/when EA ever gets around to fixing them, we just have to remove the mod/mods, no harm no foul.
    A side note, it was Deaderpool that found the problem with the doctor career, people were having a problem when their sim reached level 8 in the Doctor career no pregnant sims were going to the hospital so people couldn't complete the Deliver a Baby promotion task, this had been broken for a long time, about 2 months ago Deaderpool posted what he found wrong in the programming and how to fix it, it was fixed in the July 18th patch. The guy knows his stuff.

You, like everyone else, have the right to express your opinion on this forum but going into a thread you totally disagree with just to post negative or not constructive to the thread comments is not cool, that would be like me going into your "Post your Favorite Outfit NO CC thread" and posting a sim in my favorite CC outfit or writing something negative about me not liking the clothes that come with the game, this would not be a very nice thing to say to people that like these clothes.
    Just because people have the right to express their opinion, doesn't mean they always should.
    Post edited by Jagwithtude on
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited August 2017
    DivieOwl wrote: »

So you're saying what I'm saying, it's a fact that cc and mods ruin the game. Cool.

WOW, you really have to be right, don't you? she said nothing of the kind. you just can't stand it that people love to use CC/Mods in their games and enjoy them. Again like a few people have already pointed out to you, you are stating an opinion and not a fact or perhaps you can't tell the difference?
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

edited August 2017

@FrootyDiamond
    Don't worry, You have the antivirus program in Windows Defender and if you have the latest Windows 10 security updates you should be ok as it is much better for this OS. You can't block being updated if you have the latest Windows Creator edition of it. You can reschedule those by you choosing the hours that are convenient for you though and you can do that in Windows Settings. I've noticed lately that Microsoft are doing one off, small updates after some of those security scares lately. It turns itself off if it detects a virus program already on the PC.

http://www.belarc.com/ has a free Advisor utility that I find very useful as it can tell you (and give you their website addresses of where to get updated) if your security is up to date, especially for any Adobe or Java programs that you might have. They are the most likely to be exploited.

Malwarebytes has a good free utility which has extra security https://www.malwarebytes.com/ Keep it up to date and you can run it if you think you have problems. Plus, the latest Windows 10 updates usually provide an updated Malicious software removal tool (updated monthly) in the download. Just check for it if needed.

hth
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    "sites that are safe: TSR"
    :joy::joy:
    get adfly skipper, adblock, and download from tumblr. many tumblr cc creators aren't using adfly anymore anyways because of all the complaints.
    this cc blog is nicely organized and you can find many different creators on there if you don't want to sift through all the garbage.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member

Please do not force your own strange paranoias on other people. This thread is not even about CC's potential of breaking game's functionality but about possibilities of getting malware because of it which ruins your computer, not your game so see yourself out.

ON Topic: I've been downloading CC since Sims 1 was still a thing and I've never had an instance of a file being infected, I'm quite shocked tbh. Websites like ad fly, shorte, etc. are a different story though. There's this terrible culture in CC community of hooking every download link to a malicious website with ads that can give you a nasty malware so beware of those. I wish there was some other way to pay the creator for their kindness and work that doesn't include the abomination that is ad fly, the only times I've seen people get malware because of cc is when they got re-directed somewhere sketchy by that website and that's the reason i've stopped CC shopping for a long while.
    agustd wrote: »

Please do not force your own strange paranoias on other people. This thread is not even about CC's potential of breaking game's functionality but about possibilities of getting malware because of it which ruins your computer, not your game so see yourself out.

ON Topic: I've been downloading CC since Sims 1 was still a thing and I've never had an instance of a file being infected, I'm quite shocked tbh. Websites like ad fly, shorte, etc. are a different story though. There's this terrible culture in CC community of hooking every download link to a malicious website with ads that can give you a nasty malware so beware of those. I wish there was some other way to pay the creator for their kindness and work that doesn't include the abomination that is ad fly, the only times I've seen people get malware because of cc is when they got re-directed somewhere sketchy by that website and that's the reason i've stopped CC shopping for a long while.

I agree. Avast is always patting itself on the back at protecting me from some ad - connected even with SimsVIP for example.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Why have I put up this Post?
    I trusted the author content too much and It backfired so I have concluded that its now good to be paranoid so incidents like this do not happen again! I hope it will help you all and that you can protect yourself and let others know so they don't just click a link and download it with out scanning! Its okay to be paranoid if it means hours of saving yourself from disaster!

Its even dangerous downloading an infected file cause your system will have already been infected so using a sandbox to download the file and scanning it is much safer or even submit it online to scan.

Please post any site here that you have found to be infected

Sites infected
    • MW:JS:GEN2?malware.generic_jsobfuscator.1.2
      sims4luxury(dot) blogspot.com.au/

Main site ok but the links I found were infected
    • sims4updates dot net
    • Malware: MW:BLK:2:
      mio-sims(dot)blogspot.com/2015/10/updated-plants.html

Dangerous Blacklisted site
    Sites that are safe
    Excellent examples of protection malware videos
    Here are some very good videos to show you what will give you some good protection from the nasties malwares you might come across. Its not 100% protection but enough on those accidental occasions you find a rogue malware, virus, trojan, etc.

For most of us we would only need Comodo internet security free version it has everything we need so our sims are happy! But if you want extra protection then shadown defender is the way to go!

Who to ask for help if I got infected?
    Check the forums below and they can help you or post on these forums too if anyone can help!

Kaspersky the best paid antivirus software - Use trial if your system is infected
    https://www.itechtics.com/kaspersky-2017-offline-installers-download-links/

How do I know if my computer is infected with a virus
    http://support.eset.com/kb2563/?locale=en_US

More detail on infected system
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-know-if-your-computer-infected.htm

Comodo Internet security free
    https://antivirus.comodo.com/free-internet-security.php

Sandboxie
    https://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie

Shadow defender
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/

Websites to scan files or links
    https://sitecheck.sucuri.net

Comodo Firewall 10 against the Serpent - Free - Best
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2dqv5V51bU

Best browser Malware protection
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600902/sandboxie-absolute-best-browser-malwarevirus-protection/

Sandboxie VS Light virtualization for internet browsing
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-vs-light-virtualization-for-internet-browsing.390002/

Paid programs and their free alternatives
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/paid-programs-and-their-free-alternatives.31259/#post-238933

SandboxIE vs. Shadow Defender differences?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/169139/sandboxes-explained-how-theyre-already-protecting-you-and-how-to-sandbox-any-program/

Shadown defender Review and Test
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=qS6fiBF_C7w

Shadow defender vs selected malware - Has music so it can be turn off and read text
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_cIy80Wkce4

Avast Free vs Ransome test - Left some ransome ware
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Vb9JsFyJnfs

Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware Beta 8 - Sub optimal
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=NeDrsiflQt0

Comodo, Sandboxie, and Shade vs an Exploit - Summary 4:21
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UztAMQCdQms

These are some articles
    https://www.howtogeek.com/187037/how-to-scan-and-repair-a-badly-infected-computer-from-outside-windows/

https://www.howtogeek.com/173478/10-important-computer-security-practices-you-should-follow/

https://www.howtogeek.com/143263/how-to-test-your-antivirus-firewall-browser-and-software-security/

https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-avoid-malware.422/

https://www.howtogeek.com/187037/how-to-scan-and-repair-a-badly-infected-computer-from-outside-windows/

Setting up the Firewall For Maximum Security and Usability
    https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-451-4799-.html

Thank you for all the tips! This is why I never use ad.fly - too often their advertising is infected. Just 5 seconds? Long enough to infect a computer. Not to even mention all the links that for me open in new tabs when viewing an ad.fly ad. I just say no to ad.fly links.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited August 2017

Custom content and mods can enhance the game for some players, myself included. It is important however, to get these from a trusted source, and test new custom content/mods before relying on them. Mods usually have to be updated with every game patch as well. I get most of my Sims 4 mods from Around the Sims, Mod the Sims, and the Sims Resource. I also don't mind supporting those sites via Paypal occasionally, and much prefer that to services like ad.fly that pay content creators for the ads their downloaders view - because those ads are too often infected. Even the ads for nonsubscribers to thesimsresource.com are misleading and can contain fake download links - but these fake links can easily be blocked with a good adblocker. Ad.fly will actually prevent you from downloading the content if you use an adblocker. NOT worth it.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member
    agustd wrote: »

I wish there was some other way to pay the creator for their kindness and work that doesn't include the abomination that is ad fly, the only times I've seen people get malware because of cc is when they got re-directed somewhere sketchy by that website and that's the reason I've stopped CC shopping for a long while.

Just my 2Cents: There is a simple solution; pay for membership on reputable sites like TSR. I paid a year out on TSR and now there are zero ads, quicker downloads and the CC is generally of exceptional quality. (I only paid a month the first time out and went a year after a lot of testing.) Many creators have Patreon accounts where you can pay them directly. I ALWAYS avoid "Free Wares", there is to often a hidden cost and that can be dangerous! I take the mods out and keep them in an external folder and only load items I may want for specific building challenges. Once my build is done I remove the mod. I have yet to experience any difficulty BUT If 1 did break my game I would simply remove the game and do a fresh install.
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac