Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should some things never be a part of The Sims?

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    There is no telling where future Sims games will go or even what people might like to see in the game in the future. I base what I want in the game on what I can conceptualize now mostly... "Oh wouldn't it be great if they could do that?", kind of thinking and always have. Sometimes though the game takes a turn in a direction I didn't expect or even want and I can either enjoy it despite myself or not. This has already happened for me and I'm expecting more of the same for the Sims franchise overall.
    I don't think there is anything in a life simulation that I can say absolutely no I don't want it in there. I was thinking at first maybe real time.. never that. However if they made it much, much more real to the point that you are marveling with every step I can see enjoying it. With the caveat that hopefully you could fast forward while your Sim sleeps. So I guess from the information I have now I can say.. maybe I would like that after all.
    As far as the future is concerned there is no limit on imagination and what is possible.

egTcBMc.png
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I think a feature that's inherently unfun to play with is active careers. Time and resources have been wasted on an idea that was nice in theory because our imagination has no limitations but in practice it just fails to deliver what people expect from it. Both sims 3 and sims 4 active careers have no replayability value - I know many people like them but I'm just expressing my opinion here. A game like the sims simply can't expand on such a broad concept like the career of a scientist (for example) due to its own limitations and the only way this kind of career can be made is linear, repetitive and boring. I personally think active carers should have never been included in the series unless there was a way to make them into a rich experience with many different possibilities.

But of course I respect everyone who loved GTW and Sims 3 Ambitions (i personally find the sims 3 way of handling active careers a little bit better than sims 4). As JoAnne65 said, there is no real answer to OP's question. I'm with the crowd who thinks pre teens are not needed even though I'm a family player who loves realism in my game and that's because I believe once teenagers are a fully fleshed out life stage there will be no need to have something between them and children. So yes, i also agree that a certain amount of detail could weigh the game down to the point of absurdity - sort of - because yes, we do have pre teens in real life but do we really need them in the game, even though it's supposed to simulate life? Wouldn't that be a little bit overwhelming for a player?

So, to summarize - I personally believe there are indeed certain things that should never be included in the series unless done extremely well - Active careers (sadly, too late for that) and additional life stages being at the top of the list. I'd probably find more but right now these are the only ones that come to my head immediately.
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't think there's anything that should be excluded unless, in practice, it becomes highly tedious. As the poster above me pointed out, active careers are a tedious task (my opinion of course) so I'm not really interested in that. I'm not saying they shouldn't have ever been included, but maybe in the future they could spend resources doing something different. Or instead of active careers, try active school or school activities. That gives an old idea new spin and the chance to be fun again.

And I do not think progressive aging is impossible. I see it not really being true progressive aging but rather a system similar to what we have with toddlers (they "gradually" walk better and do more things based on skills). For aging, they could have time just gradually develop the height and abilities within a life stage, but the stages themselves would still have distinct transitions. For example, within the teen life stage, the sim might start off a little bigger than a child stage. After a few days, they grow to the second height level and start developing wishes for things like driving and part time jobs, then at the top stage are nearly the height of young adults. This is highly possible but would obviously require more animations for each height. Certainly NOT impossible in a new base game though.

There are things I think I will never see in a sims game but would like:

1. The ability to take scissors to a Sims hair and style it however you liked, or have sliders for hair and bangs length. Also an animation for a sim to pull his or hair back into a pony tail or braid.

2. More of an interactive process in kitchens. This could be somewhat optional. But a detailed system where you perhaps have mini games to complete better quality cooking creations would be fun for me. More kitchen appliances like a stand mixer, toaster, etc would be great as well and the ability to crowd those items onto counter spaces

3. Detailed financials and budget system. Your family could truly give allowances to individual kids and teens. Funds could still be pooled into the household but easier to see a break down of who has earned what money, and that money could follow individual Sims in household splits if desired.

4. A more gradual appearance of a house getting dirty or cluttered. Dust piling in the corners, grime building up on surfaces, piles of papers gradually increasing around the house.

5. A more detailed crafting system. Perhaps you could have beading as a craft for example, and within that it could zoom in and you could actually participate in a mini game to create necklaces and bracelets as you liked, with the option for an "auto craft" so you wouldn't HAVE to do that if you didn't feel like it. (Added this in an edit)

There's a lot more. In general I would love a rich, detailed play environment where I felt like I was truly simulating someone's life. I don't think I'll ever see this in my lifetime. I like The Sims series very much. But I'll always dream of more.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited August 2017
    Erpe wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Erpe If you mean they are not actually letting us vote where it comes to real constructive things, I agree.
    That was what I meant and I believe that the reason is that they want to target the game more "broadly" and not just at the simmers who are old enough to use the forum.

I found discussions about console gamers having huge problems even to be allowed to play E rated games online even though they have bought the games but only can play them offline. They get a message about being "too young to have an account" if they attempt to go online. I think that this problem exists for TS4 too for simmers who are less than 18 yrs old.

They only have to have one adult account. then the adult account makes a child/children account for their child.

All this is on your Home Page.
    HOW TO SET UP A CHILD EA ACCOUNT FOR YOUR UNDERAGE CHILD
    Parents should make their own EA Account before creating one for their child. Use your email address to set it up — you’ll use it again as the parental email for your child’s account.

If you need to contact EA for help with either account — yours or your child’s — use your account to talk to EA

Once you (the parent or guardian) have an EA Account, you can create an account for your child. Launch the Origin client and follow the steps below.

On the login window, click Create an account.
    If you need to, log out of your account first.
    When prompted for the Date of Birth and Country, enter your child's date of birth.
    Choose an ID and password that both you and your child will remember.
    EA recommend choosing a password that’s different from your own.
    Enter the email address from your own EA Account in the Parent's Email field.
    You’ll get an email verifying that you created your child’s account. Follow the instructions in the email to activate your child's account.

EA. TIP: Write your child’s ID and password down, then keep them in a safe place. That way you’ll both always have a way to remember them.
    If you do forget their password, you can reset it in a few quick steps.

Add games to your child's account
    When you purchase an eligible game on disc from a retail store or site, it will come with a Product Code. Log into your child's EA Account, and redeem the Product Code in Origin to add the game to that account.

Underage accounts cannot make purchases in the online Origin store.

Children who have underage accounts can upgrade their account to a full access account once they reach a certain age, which varies from country to country.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    Limited content in the same vein as not being able to have apartments outside of San Myshuno. That really makes that pack a turn off for me especially because the cheap apartments are actually made with base game BB stuff.

Also, adults not being able to play the Void Critters game is very odd for me. There's plenty of adults who play games, but not even teens can play that in the Sims 4!
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    @Erpe If you mean they are not actually letting us vote where it comes to real constructive things, I agree.
    That was what I meant and I believe that the reason is that they want to target the game more "broadly" and not just at the simmers who are old enough to use the forum.

I found discussions about console gamers having huge problems even to be allowed to play E rated games online even though they have bought the games but only can play them offline. They get a message about being "too young to have an account" if they attempt to go online. I think that this problem exists for TS4 too for simmers who are less than 18 yrs old.

They only have to have one adult account. then the adult account makes a child/children account for their child.

All this is on your Home Page.
    HOW TO SET UP A CHILD EA ACCOUNT FOR YOUR UNDERAGE CHILD
    Parents should make their own EA Account before creating one for their child. Use your email address to set it up — you’ll use it again as the parental email for your child’s account.

If you need to contact EA for help with either account — yours or your child’s — use your account to talk to EA

Once you (the parent or guardian) have an EA Account, you can create an account for your child. Launch the Origin client and follow the steps below.

On the login window, click Create an account.
    If you need to, log out of your account first.
    When prompted for the Date of Birth and Country, enter your child's date of birth.
    Choose an ID and password that both you and your child will remember.
    EA recommend choosing a password that’s different from your own.
    Enter the email address from your own EA Account in the Parent's Email field.
    You’ll get an email verifying that you created your child’s account. Follow the instructions in the email to activate your child's account.

EA. TIP: Write your child’s ID and password down, then keep them in a safe place. That way you’ll both always have a way to remember them.
    If you do forget their password, you can reset it in a few quick steps.

Add games to your child's account
    When you purchase an eligible game on disc from a retail store or site, it will come with a Product Code. Log into your child's EA Account, and redeem the Product Code in Origin to add the game to that account.
    Underage accounts cannot make purchases in the online Origin store.

Children who have underage accounts can upgrade their account to a full access account once they reach a certain age, which varies from country to country.
    Thanks for the answer!

But the problem is that a child account can't be used to buy games or expansions and that such accounts don't give access to game forums. They don't seem to give access to connect to other players and play the games online even if you own them.

For a game like TS4 this must mean that if a parent gave the basegame to a 13 yrs old child then download-only expansions can't be bought or installed for the game and the 13 yrs old won't be able to get access to neither the gallery nor this forum.

Besides that there are other complications for console games too because such games are often bought from Microsoft's store instead of Origin and then it seems like EA's support usually refuse to help at all. I read about a 35 yrs old and another similar person who both got the message that they were underage when they attempted to play online. Somehow their age weren't transferred correctly from Microsoft to EA. But EA's support claimed that it wasn't their problem and Microsoft wouldn't help either. Anyway this is of course offtopic here. But it is dangerous to give a birth date which means that your under 18 yrs old when you make an EA account if you don't want to risk huge problems.

But my main point is that we shouldn't judge the usual age of simmers playing TS4 from this forum because the under 18 simmers (who likely mostly are under 15 too) don't have access to the forum even though they likely are the biggest group of TS4 simmers anyway.
  • NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    There is no feature that should not be part of the sims, but they should make as much optional as possible and add settings for most features so everyone can configure their game more to their preference.
    A feature that has enough people interested would not drain from any other feature as they could simply hire additional staff to do additional sales.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Erpe said
    But the problem is that a child account can't be used to buy games or expansions and that such accounts don't give access to game forums. They don't seem to give access to connect to other players and play the games online even if you own them.

For a game like TS4 this must mean that if a parent gave the basegame to a 13 yrs old child then download-only expansions can't be bought or installed for the game and the 13 yrs old won't be able to get access to neither the gallery nor this forum.

Besides that there are other complications for console games too because such games are often bought from Microsoft's store instead of Origin and then it seems like EA's support usually refuse to help at all. I read about a 35 yrs old and another similar person who both got the message that they were underage when they attempted to play online. Somehow their age weren't transferred correctly from Microsoft to EA. But EA's support claimed that it wasn't their problem and Microsoft wouldn't help either. Anyway this is of course offtopic here. But it is dangerous to give a birth date which means that your under 18 yrs old when you make an EA account if you don't want to risk huge problems.

But my main point is that we shouldn't judge the usual age of simmers playing TS4 from this forum because the under 18 simmers (who likely mostly are under 15 too) don't have access to the forum even though they likely are the biggest group of TS4 simmers anyway.

Child accounts are protected. o:) The parents have made the account because they do not want their child to buy games they may not approve of. also, they may not want their child talking freely with adults on this forums. No parents want's that. if the parent wants the child to have a game they will have to buy it. then add it to the child's account. Children can go to a store and buy a game. but the only person that can add that game to the child Origin account is the parent. This protection will only end when the child becomes an adult in their country.
    This is not a mean thing EA does but a way to protect children.
    The reason why a child is not allowed in the gallery? Because they can get access to MODs and CC that their parents may not approve of them using.
    Why do you complain?
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Nelus wrote: »
    There is no feature that should not be part of the sims, but they should make as much optional as possible and add settings for most features so everyone can configure their game more to their preference.
    I'd forgotten this angle. The concept of toggle type settings. I think it's an important factor to take into account. If things are (theoretically) designed in such a way that stuff is optional/toggable as much as possible, that would mean that in an ideal framing of things where resources are infinite, there's little to no justification for not wanting a feature to exist in the game, since you can just turn it off.

This is, of course, a very theoretical framing, since there aren't infinite resources and in TS4, there aren't many hard toggles. But speaking more in terms of the future of the franchise...
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    edited August 2017
    Stormsview wrote: »
    @Erpe said

Child accounts are protected. o:) The parents have made the account because they do not want their child to buy games they may not approve of. also, they may not want their child talking freely with adults on this forums. No parents want's that. if the parent wants the child to have a game they will have to buy it. then add it to the child's account. Children can go to a store and buy a game. but the only person that can add that game to the child Origin account is the parent. This protection will only end when the child becomes an adult in their country.
    This is not a mean thing EA does but a way to protect children.
    The reason why a child is not allowed in the gallery? Because they can get access to MODs and CC that their parents may not approve of them using.
    Why do you complain?
    I likely wouldn't complain if it really only was a small problem about 0 to 14 yrs old children. But I don't at all agree that 15 to 17 yrs old teens are children too and I would sure hate EA if EA prevented me from playing online with my friends when I was in that age group in a game which I even likely had payed for with my own money from a part time job. In some countries you don't even count as an adult until you are 21 yrs old.

The other problem is that some gamers are told that they are under age even when they are 30 or 40 yrs old because the way the accounts are made is so complicated that people make mistakes and because not all EA games are bought through Origin. Some EA games are bought in other download stores (owned by Sony, Microsoft, Amazon, Valve and so on) which can give problems too.

But I agree that the problems are bigger with other games because Sims games are usually played by about 13 yrs olds and adults over 25 yrs old while the 15 to 24 yrs olds for different reasons seem to mostly play other games instead.

Another problem is: Why are 13 yrs olds allowed to use Facebook but not to play non-Facebook games online?
  • CrueltivityCrueltivity Posts: 161 Member
    This thread is about things that shouldn't be on the game WHY are people writing bibles about the age group of The Sims? Create a thread and discuss about it there.

On topic - active careers and religion
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think if teens actually filled the space between child and young adult, I'd be happy. There are many things I don't consider worth putting in, as a player I'm far more considered with improving personality of sims and drama, but I don't see much point in things like laundry. So for me, there would definitely be things I'd leave out, but everyone values different parts of the game so I doubt there would be much way to objectively rule out certain features across the board for every player.
    @Erpe you derail every thread you participate in with your strange passion for discussing teenagers and children and i advise you to find yourself a whole different forum if you want to do that so much. This is a thread with a very clear, specific topic.

On topic - i agree that toggles for certain features would be a great idea. If a feature is optional, things wont be too overehelming. Still, only works with certain type of them. We already have an option for an instant age-up so people who don't want additional life stages could just fix the problem that way.
    agustd wrote: »
    On topic - i agree that toggles for certain features would be a great idea. If a feature is optional, things wont be too overehelming. Still, only works with certain type of them. We already have an option for an instant age-up so people who don't want additional life stages could just fix the problem that way.
    True. And in theory, the age-up type mechanic could be made even more robust in future titles... things like allowing you to jump forward multiple stages, or go backwards, without even going into CAS.

Granted, for a lot of toggles, the game would probably need to be designed heavily with toggles in mind, from the ground up. I think it's theoretically possible, it's just not very viable for this game in a lot of cases. It's also a potential drain on resources that could be spent on other things, so there's always that factor too. But if a foundation was created such that toggles are more trivial to create, that might make it a more viable concept going forward.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Yeah mermaids ,fairies, and plant people, these things need to stay in the sims 3.Ughh really!! :/
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    I feel plantsims are weird. I dunno about mermaids. Fairies are cool though
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    So I guess toggles would be a feature that you could get a pack like the Vampire pack because you like the clothes, hair, and décor, but don't' want actual vampires in your game, etc.? That would be a very handy feature!
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
    PugLove888 wrote: »
    So I guess toggles would be a feature that you could get a pack like the Vampire pack because you like the clothes, hair, and décor, but don't' want actual vampires in your game, etc.? That would be a very handy feature!
    Yeah, when you put it that way, it'd probably help with sales as well as player customization (that is, talking about a version of the game where, hypothetically, it's built to implement toggles without much hassle). So that'd be one motivation to consider it as something of importance to plan for in future iterations.
    Triplis wrote: »
    PugLove888 wrote: »
    Yeah, when you put it that way, it'd probably help with sales as well as player customization (that is, talking about a version of the game where, hypothetically, it's built to implement toggles without much hassle). So that'd be one motivation to consider it as something of importance to plan for in future iterations.

@Triplis , yes, thanks! I know of several Simmers who don't like supernatural Sims, (sometimes due to religious beliefs, and sometimes due to preferring a more realistic game) but do like a lot of the stuff that comes with these packs. Also, some people only like certain types of supernaturals, (eg. they love witches, but hate werewolves). For that last group, it would be best to have the ability to toggle each type of supernatural Sim. ;)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Is this about preteens? I have a different question. Should players/customers/fans ever have to think about time and resources and the saugage making of a 'game'? Doesn't that just lead to more fretting, worry, disappointment, bad feelings and in fighting of what should go into a game when even the players and they are customers, are fighting over where and how those budget dollars and resources should be spent?

Wasn't it much more fun in times past to make your wish list, submit it and hope some of it got done, rather than debate and talk about budgets, process, how things are voted in or out of a game? Should customers ever have to worry about that? Not in my opinion.
    So true.
    The problem about this for me is that we then always will become disappointed because they always will make the game very different from our wishes and I don't like to be so disappointed all the time. Therefore I try to understand their way of seeing the game instead of just having beautiful unrealistic dreams that never will be fulfilled anyway. But be my guest if you prefer unrealistic dreams and eternal disappointments instead ;)

LOL. There was a time, I didn't have to ask for stuff in 'The Sims'. Remember those days? It was a decade ago. We happily picked up an EP in the 'store' and said oh, look, a TS2 EP! and bought it. Nobody was sitting around begging or demanding anything that I can remember. Heck I don't even recall an 'idea' thread back on the old BBS. It was more like oh wow, Seasons! and off we went to play it. I think including customers into the process sort of took the magic out of the playing. Now, we have to think about things like well if they put in this, then they won't be able to add this other thing etc....playing a game should never be about 'process' but about the magic.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited August 2017
    10 years ago an idea was "what if my sims could travel to space and go through adventures on a spaceship"

In the year of 2017 an idea is "what if my sim could stop drinking water obsessively and dying of embarrassment after pis***g themselves"

Post edited by agustd on
    Is this about preteens? I have a different question. Should players/customers/fans ever have to think about time and resources and the saugage making of a 'game'? Doesn't that just lead to more fretting, worry, disappointment, bad feelings and in fighting of what should go into a game when even the players and they are customers, are fighting over where and how those budget dollars and resources should be spent?

Wasn't it much more fun in times past to make your wish list, submit it and hope some of it got done, rather than debate and talk about budgets, process, how things are voted in or out of a game? Should customers ever have to worry about that? Not in my opinion.
    So true.
    The problem about this for me is that we then always will become disappointed because they always will make the game very different from our wishes and I don't like to be so disappointed all the time. Therefore I try to understand their way of seeing the game instead of just having beautiful unrealistic dreams that never will be fulfilled anyway. But be my guest if you prefer unrealistic dreams and eternal disappointments instead ;)

LOL. There was a time, I didn't have to ask for stuff in 'The Sims'. Remember those days? It was a decade ago. We happily picked up an EP in the 'store' and said oh, look, a TS2 EP! and bought it. Nobody was sitting around begging or demanding anything that I can remember. Heck I don't even recall an 'idea' thread back on the old BBS. It was more like oh wow, Seasons! and off we went to play it. I think including customers into the process sort of took the magic out of the playing. Now, we have to think about things like well if they put in this, then they won't be able to add this other thing etc....playing a game should never be about 'process' but about the magic.
    Yes I clearly remember those days. I first saw the Sims 1 basegame in the stores and later also its expansions which a lot of young teen girls looked with huge interest at. Sometimes they were accompanied by their mom who looked almost as interested - but probably mostly because their daughters and their daughters friend were so interested. Often I also saw them buy the newest EP. So I looked a little of those packages too. But they seemed to me to be only targeted at young girls who were mostly interested in a dress up game and for me a little surprisingly didn't mind the ugly graphics. But I only bought very different games for myself.

Then I in 2004 saw a video about TS2 which had much better graphics and also some kind of gameplay that I had never seen before. This made me buy the game immediately and I played it all the time for the next 2 to 3 years. But after buying the first 5 EPs I had realized that most of the game's quality was in the basegame and that the EPs didn't really improve the game enough to be worth their price. Then EA also suddenly added the dreadful Securom to the next EPs. So it was an easy decision for me to stop buying them.

I didn't stop to play the game though. But I got a mod that allowed me to select which EPs that I wanted to be active for each new game that I started. This soon meant that I mostly played without activating any of my EPs because the EPs often destroyed some of the original family stories and neighborhood stories which I wanted to expand instead. Then a little year later I stopped playing TS2 at all and chose other very different games instead.

TS3 made me interested because of its open world. So I bought it and I also bought its first EPs. I liked WA very much. But it didn't feel to me like a Sims game. Instead it felt more like I was playing just another RPG game when I tried to solve all those quests in the 3 new worlds.

The next TS3 EPs I bought too. But once again it didn't really feel that I got enough for my money. So I stopped buying them and a few months later I also stopped playing TS3.

It was different days because University and Seasons had never been seen before when we got them for TS2 and a RPG-like EP like World Adventures was also very new when we got it for TS3 and the same was the open world.

But now nothing is new anymore. People just want Pets, University, Seasons and the open world back which I find very uninteresting because if I wanted those things then I would just go back to TS2 or TS3 instead.

TS4 is very uninteresting for me because it has nothing new that interests me. EA simplified the game for the next generation of young simmers but couldn't find anything better than putting a little more partying, some boring collecting, the "new" emotions and the autonomous multitasking (which I don't like because I want to control my sims) into TS4 and I knew from the above that if a Sims basegame doesn't have high quality then it is extremely unlikely that later expansions can repair it. Therefore I stopped playing TS4 already after I only had bought its very first GP and its very first EP. This doesn't mean that I regard TS4 as a bad game though but just as a "new" Sims game that isn't at all targeted at experienced simmers but almost only at new young simmers who haven't played the previous games because they were too young when those games were released.

Therefore I am only waiting for EA to release a new and different Sims game which I know that EA will do again sooner or later. I am not optimistic about TS5 because I know that EA once again just will start over and target TS5 mostly at new young teen simmers. But I could become positively surprised though. Generally I am more optimistic about other Sims games that EA likely will release too. The Sims Medieval was a good game and the Sims Freeplay was also a good game for me to play along with other games until I reached the top level in the game. The Sims Mobile isn't at all a game for me though. But there will come more new sidegames too because the Sims concept has been one of the most successful game concepts for EA ever. So EA will surely make more experiments to use it both for new PC sidegames and for other platforms :)

So true.

Yes I clearly remember those days. I first saw the Sims 1 basegame in the stores and later also its expansions which a lot of young teen girls looked with huge interest at. Sometimes they were accompanied by their mom who looked almost as interested - but probably mostly because their daughters and their daughters friend were so interested. Often I also saw them buy the newest EP. So I looked a little of those packages too. But they seemed to me to be only targeted at young girls who were mostly interested in a dress up game and for me a little surprisingly didn't mind the ugly graphics. But I only bought very different games for myself.

Then I in 2004 saw a video about TS2 which had much better graphics and also some kind of gameplay that I had never seen before. This made me buy the game immediately and I played it all the time for the next 2 to 3 years. But after buying the first 5 EPs I had realized that most of the game's quality was in the basegame and that the EPs didn't really improve the game enough to be worth their price. Then EA also suddenly added the dreadful Securom to the next EPs. So it was an easy decision for me to stop buying them.

I didn't stop to play the game though. But I got a mod that allowed me to select which EPs that I wanted to be active for each new game that I started. This soon meant that I mostly played without activating any of my EPs because the EPs often destroyed some of the original family stories and neighborhood stories which I wanted to expand instead. Then a little year later I stopped playing TS2 at all and chose other very different games instead.

TS3 made me interested because of its open world. So I bought it and I also bought its first EPs. I liked WA very much. But it didn't feel to me like a Sims game. Instead it felt more like I was playing just another RPG game when I tried to solve all those quests in the 3 new worlds.

The next TS3 EPs I bought too. But once again it didn't really feel that I got enough for my money. So I stopped buying them and a few months later I also stopped playing TS3.

It was different days because University and Seasons had never been seen before when we got them for TS2 and a RPG-like EP like World Adventures was also very new when we got it for TS3 and the same was the open world.

But now nothing is new anymore. People just want Pets, University, Seasons and the open world back which I find very uninteresting because if I wanted those things then I would just go back to TS2 or TS3 instead.

TS4 is very uninteresting for me because it has nothing new that interests me. EA simplified the game for the next generation of young simmers but couldn't find anything better than putting a little more partying, some boring collecting, the "new" emotions and the autonomous multitasking (which I don't like because I want to control my sims) into TS4 and I knew from the above that if a Sims basegame doesn't have high quality then it is extremely unlikely that later expansions can repair it. Therefore I stopped playing TS4 already after I only had bought its very first GP and its very first EP. This doesn't mean that I regard TS4 as a bad game though but just as a "new" Sims game that isn't at all targeted at experienced simmers but almost only at new young simmers who haven't played the previous games because they were too young when those games were released.

Therefore I am only waiting for EA to release a new and different Sims game which I know that EA will do again sooner or later. I am not optimistic about TS5 because I know that EA once again just will start over and target TS5 mostly at new young teen simmers. But I could become positively surprised though. Generally I am more optimistic about other Sims games that EA likely will release too. The Sims Medieval was a good game and the Sims Freeplay was also a good game for me to play along with other games until I reached the top level in the game. The Sims Mobile isn't at all a game for me though. But there will come more new sidegames too because the Sims concept has been one of the most successful game concepts for EA ever. So EA will surely make more experiments to use it both for new PC sidegames and for other platforms :)

@Erpe , I agree with you on a lot of points, even though I have never regretted buying a EP, GP, or SP for the Sims. :) TS4 is a stripped down version of The Sims, but I believe that this, in part, is for different reasons. Yes, I'm sure EA is looking towards the next generation of Simmers, but even adults can't always afford a strong enough computer to run TS3. :( Many of the things they stripped down were due to most people's games lagging dreadfully, and this included adult Simmers. Whenever I would play TS3 I would read on all of my down time spent waiting for my computer to catch up. (Good thing I love to read! :D ) So while part of me is disappointed with TS4 :/ , part of me is relieved! ;)
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited August 2017
    This maybe off topic maybe idk but I need to type it before I forget so I see potential in Pre-teens I guess because I didn't start playing the Sims on PC but on consoles so On consoles it went from baby which you really couldn't do nothing with but feed and play (Does that sound familiar Sims 4?) Than the baby would jump into a child (I found that very odd. Again sounds familiar doesn't it?) The child on consoles never grew up. Adults never grew into Elders (I found that odd as well) but it was console which is limited.

Until someone introduced me to the Sims on PC It was almost the same concept but a whole different gameplay much and than Sims 2 came about and it introduced toddlers, teens, elders and YA (for college.) I was blown away. Even back in the day I was thinking their should be a lifestage between child and teen but I was just so happy to have this I didn't really care.

Sims 3 introduced YA not as part just a university but actually in the game. The Sims 3 was open world and teens could do more than they did in Sims 2 I was excited and Pre-teens though it was still on my mind I had all that gameplay it was on the back burner.

Sims 4 it's not because of the teens height of why I want Pre-teens I'll say it again it is NOT BECAUSE OF THE TEENS HEIGHT that I want Pre-teens it's more of teens seems more mature in this Sims game then the previous even with Parenthood and the mood swings they seem more mature. Also in my opinion the only that stands out from the previous games is the toddlers, spa day/yoga, and the cafe that's it. So this coming from a person who played on console who had no life stages to a ton of lifestsges.

Do I think/hope a life stage can be added into the game? *Quoting Leo D. From the great Gatsby* "Absolutely old sport absolutely." The answer is toddlers a lot of people didn't want them a lot if people think they were a waste of time and money (sounds familiar.)

Now I would like to apologize for derailing the thread and to answer OP's questions honestly I can't really answer the question because I don't know really what's the budget that EA or Maxis have for the features, gameplay, or Life stages to be added or what can't be added. I'm the type of person that will hope and wish and voice my opinions and ideas until a I get a firm answer from the right people that knows everything that goes on in the EA or Maxis office.

Sorry again for derailing.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited August 2017
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    This maybe off topic maybe idk but I need to type it before I forget so I see potential in Pre-teens I guess because I didn't start playing the Sims on PC but on consoles so On consoles it went from baby which you really couldn't do nothing with but feed and play (Does that sound familiar Sims 4?) Than the baby would jump into a child (I found that very odd. Again sounds familiar doesn't it?) The child on consoles never grew up. Adults never grew into Elders (I found that odd as well) but it was console which is limited.

Until someone introduced me to the Sims on PC It was almost the same concept but a whole different gameplay much and than Sims 2 came about and it introduced toddlers, teens, elders and YA (for college.) I was blown away. Even back in the day I was thinking their should be a lifestage between child and teen but I was just so happy to have this I didn't really care.

Sims 3 introduced YA not as part just a university but actually in the game. The Sims 3 was open world and teens could do more than they did in Sims 2 I was excited and Pre-teens though it was still on my mind I had all that gameplay it was on the back burner.

Sims 4 it's not because of the teens height of why I want Pre-teens I'll say it again it is NOT BECAUSE OF THE TEENS HEIGHT that I want Pre-teens it's more of teens seems more mature in this Sims game then the previous even with Parenthood and the mood swings they seem more mature. Also in my opinion the only that stands out from the previous games is the toddlers, spa day/yoga, and the cafe that's it. So this coming from a person who played on console who had no life stages to a ton of lifestsges.

Do I think/hope a life stage can be added into the game? *Quoting Leo D. From the great Gatsby* "Absolutely old sport absolutely." The answer is toddlers a lot of people didn't want them a lot if people think they were a waste of time and money (sounds familiar.)

Now I would like to apologize for derailing the thread and to answer OP's questions honestly I can't really answer the question because I don't know really what's the budget that EA or Maxis have for the features, gameplay, or Life stages to be added or what can't be added. I'm the type of person that will hope and wish and voice my opinions and ideas until a I get a firm answer from the right people that knows everything that goes on in the EA or Maxis office.

Sorry again for derailing.

Aw man I didn't mean to put that all in bold...sorry again :( it's been two years since I got on here and I still can't get used to this chat System goodness gracious. Anyone know how to edit it from being bold?