Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reaction buttons

IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
edited August 2017 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Any chance we can have specific agree, thanks, and lol buttons back instead of the weird ones we have now, which all kind of mean the same thing? or at least I am not sure what the subtle distinction is and when to choose which.

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I don't think that we ever had thanks. I do miss disagree though, it was harmless but as was the case on the forums, subject to abuse. I always had more agrees than disagrees but if someone posted a picture and someone 'disagreed' with it then it was war.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
  • Options
    Yeah I only mentioned the positive buttons, I know the negative ones can be problematic. But thanks and agree, along with one that just means like, at least allow us to express different meanings, unlike the ones we have now that are a bit cryptic and too similar
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Thanks is a good generic meaning button to have as the only one, in my experience. It covers the possibility of insightful (as in, "thanks, that was insightful"); it covers the possibility of "lol" (as in, "thanks, that was funny"). You get the idea.

The only benefit I see to the string of buttons we have is if someone is information hungry about the nuances of how people are reacting to their posts. In terms of people reacting "accurately," thanks pretty much covers everything we already have, imo.

That and maybe the unique character of it if someone is into the idea of this forum standing out from others.

I'll admit I've always felt a bit weird about forums having reaction buttons though. I know they can serve a beneficial purpose, but part of me can't get past the fact that forums are not run-and-gun social media interaction. They are more slow and plodding, in-depth discussion, so soundbite reaction buttons don't make as much sense. Plus I think I'm being a bit of an old man about it... "back in my day, forums didn't have reaction buttons and you had to manually type bbcode tags if you wanted to quote a post!" (I'm not actually an old man, but apparently I'm working on becoming one.)
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2017
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Yeah I only mentioned the positive buttons, I know the negative ones can be problematic. But thanks and agree, along with one that just means like, at least allow us to express different meanings, unlike the ones we have now that are a bit cryptic and too similar

Apparently, "Lol" is negative, too. They're ALL negative according to the powers that be. I'm honestly surprised they let us keep Awesome. All it takes is for someone to post that their dog died and someone "Awesome's" it. Or any other post where the poster is offended by the reaction.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited August 2017
    .. I think that was done Maybe not regarding a death but something not particularly "awesome"

But as for returning other buttons, unless the site is set to reveal who clicked what, it'll always have problem-clickers and reactions thereto, thus forming the very distractions the new moderators were brought in to help quell.

EDIT: On second thought, even revealing who clicked what... might cause even bigger issues.

Alas even though these things exist on other sites, with the attendant distractions, they won't return here.
  • Options
    Well I thought there was new "management" on the forums and they may bring us into line with the other social outlets they run.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    The LOL button is harsh - people laugh at you. I had like 18,000 of them on my other profile.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited August 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    Thanks is a good generic meaning button to have as the only one, in my experience. It covers the possibility of insightful (as in, "thanks, that was insightful"); it covers the possibility of "lol" (as in, "thanks, that was funny"). You get the idea.

The only benefit I see to the string of buttons we have is if someone is information hungry about the nuances of how people are reacting to their posts. In terms of people reacting "accurately," thanks pretty much covers everything we already have, imo.

That and maybe the unique character of it if someone is into the idea of this forum standing out from others.

I'll admit I've always felt a bit weird about forums having reaction buttons though. I know they can serve a beneficial purpose, but part of me can't get past the fact that forums are not run-and-gun social media interaction. They are more slow and plodding, in-depth discussion, so soundbite reaction buttons don't make as much sense. Plus I think I'm being a bit of an old man about it... "back in my day, forums didn't have reaction buttons and you had to manually type bbcode tags if you wanted to quote a post!" (I'm not actually an old man, but apparently I'm working on becoming one.)

Being an old man is great, all of your ill behavior is largely excused, you can quit working and still get payed as well as get discounts on everything plus you can tell people how you're better than them because of what you had to do in the old days. They have it pretty sweet, I mean minus arthritis and memory issues, but then you can just make other do you bidding because they feel bad for you >:)
    I'm sure everyone else is happy I'm bearly YA :D I would have too much fun being old.
    ( I also gave you an insightful :p:D )

Anyways there was another discussion about this a while back specifically about the lol button. I came away from that feeling that buttons aren't really the best for communicating. Plus their advantages are limited by having all reactions public it feels more of like a bragging thing or one up man's ship when thing get heated. I think the one advantage they have is it saves posts that just say, "I agree" saving space on threads. (and save me having to write a paragraph when someone says something funny :p@Triplis )
    Here's the other thread for those interested
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/919691/why-dont-we-have-the-lol-option-anymore/p1
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Being an old man is great, all of your ill behavior is largely excused, you can quit working and still get payed as well as get discounts on everything plus you can tell people how you're better than them because of what you had to do in the old days. They have it pretty sweet, I mean minus arthritis and memory issues, but then you can just make other do you bidding because they feel bad for you >:)
    I'm sure everyone else is happy I'm bearly YA :D I would have too much fun being old.
    ( I also gave you an insightful :p:D )

Anyways there was another discussion about this a while back specifically about the lol button. I came away from that feeling that buttons aren't really the best for communicating. Plus their advantages are limited by having all reactions public it feels more of like a bragging thing or one up man's ship when thing get heated. I think the one advantage they have is it saves posts that just say, "I agree" saving space on threads. (and save me having to write a paragraph when someone says something funny :p@Triplis )
    Here's the other thread for those interested
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/919691/why-dont-we-have-the-lol-option-anymore/p1
    Lol true. Those old people man... apart from the impending death and decaying body, it seems like a pretty good deal. :tongue:

Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member

Exactly.....people wish these buttons back because they have no way of tracing who pushed what button and why so its easier to be mean/spiteful if they wish to do that. There are always going to be nastiness from someone on this particular forum because some don't like to hear the opinions of another, think that some shouldn't have the opinion they are having and will debate you on it and some will even fight with you on your points, or even just some that are just downright mean to you for no apparent reason. By not having the LOL, disagree, and all they eliminate the problem of people being mean via button pushing. Now, if you really want to be mean or if you really want to laugh at someone, you have to go to the lengths of typing it in which means that you will be singled out when you do because others will ask why you are laughing or being ugly about things.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    But what does that have to do with Agree, Like, and Thanks? How can someone be nasty with one of those? The only thing you can do to be nasty is not press one at all, and the poster will never know you didn't simply not see their post. It's much easier to imagine putting on a sarcastic voice when you say "awesome." (which is a button we do have) than to do it when you say agree or like. If the idea of different buttons is a problem, why not just one - Like.
  • Options
    But what does that have to do with Agree, Like, and Thanks? How can someone be nasty with one of those? The only thing you can do to be nasty is not press one at all, and the poster will never know you didn't simply not see their post. It's much easier to imagine putting on a sarcastic voice when you say "awesome." (which is a button we do have) than to do it when you say agree or like. If the idea of different buttons is a problem, why not just one - Like.

By agreeing/liking posts that have horrible stuff like for instance......you say in the off topic "my dog passed away" or something like that. Someone pushes a "like" button, hence nastiness.
  • Options
    No, on facebook before they had different buttons we used to press like in sympathy as well as pleasure. Everyone knew what you really meant. Never saw anyone say "oh how come you liked my dog dying" or anything
  • Options
    No, on facebook before they had different buttons we used to press like in sympathy as well as pleasure. Everyone knew what you really meant. Never saw anyone say "oh how come you liked my dog dying" or anything

That's on Facebook, here it's different......there are some people who wish to target people and give them a hard time on here. Since they took away the buttons? It's been a lot better. Not trying to say you are wrong, in some instances you are correct, but people were using it specifically to be nasty.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    Bear31 wrote: »

That's on Facebook, here it's different......there are some people who wish to target people and give them a hard time on here. Since they took away the buttons? It's been a lot better. Not trying to say you are wrong, in some instances you are correct, but people were using it specifically to be nasty.

What Bear said.

This isn't Facebook and should never really be anything like FB in my opinion. Facebook only just added those other options in last year I believe because people didn't feel right about hitting "Like" when someone had posted something bad that had happened to them or to others. Once I had posted about a celebrity dying and someone hit "Awesome" but that person had explained to me that they hit "awesome" because the celebrity that I had posted about was an awesome singer.

The buttons that we have now are just fine. And I really don't think of them as meaning the same thing. I hit "Insightful" if I see a thread that I thought was very helpful. I will hit "Like" if it's something that's nice. And I will hit "Awesome" if it was a picture or a Sims story that made me laugh. So I really don't have a hard time trying to decide on what to hit when I want to hit one of those buttons.