Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sweet SIMtember Homemade Gift Exchange -- CLOSED

Comments

• Catdog123Catdog123 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Toys were so fun weren't they? I remember me and my friends just playing bringing all of our toys together; GI Joes, Barbies, Beanie Babies (those were so popular when I was a kid lol all those people thinking they would be worth a lot of money), Transformers and this toy Trex I had. The Joes and the Barbies banning together to save the beanie baby cat from the Dino overlord and his robot minions. Good times lol.
    Siggy_4.jpg
  • Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    @Catdog123 I actually still have my Beanie Babies, lol. This is mostly because 1) I only had a few and 2) I only had adorable ones like the Siamese cat! ;) They're packed up in a closet somewhere with the rest of the relics of childhood that I decided I liked enough and were in good enough condition to keep for the next generation of little ones.

@ADWilson Pretty sure I had that mobile home too, actually, lol. And yes, excited to see my buddy name!

@Jessabeans I only had about 3 my little ponies, but my cousins had a huge collection...the sea ponies, and the ones with the translucent butterfly wings, and a couple of the fuzzy ones...one of my favorite things to get to play with when we went to visit! (well, that, and raiding my cousin's nancy drew collection. We did a lot of borrowing back and forth of books back then!)
    edited August 2017
    @Bookworm742 I have some of the beanies and my action figures stored away (part nostalgia part being a pack rat.) And one small beanie from a kids meal, a crab one gets to not be stored but sit on a shelf in my bathroom because I have a nautical theme going on in there. :tongue:
    Post edited by Catdog123 on
    Siggy_4.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Catdog123 wrote: »
    Beanie Babies (those were so popular when I was a kid lol all those people thinking they would be worth a lot of money).

I was totally one of those people, plus I'm a pack rat!
    I loved Trolls when I was younger. I tried to collect them all...ooh and Cabbage Patch Kids!

• MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited August 2017
    These stories about toys and how people played with them is very interesting! :)

My sister used to get Troll dolls as gifts from relatives. She never asked for them, but for some reason our relatives would give her Troll dolls. She would sometimes carry one around with her, but I don't know that she preferred them over any other dolls, other than that they were a lot smaller so easier to carry in her pocket.

I never had Barbies, but I had a lot of other dolls. My sister and I mostly played with these zoo animals that we bought in a pack from the Zoo where I live. There were a hundred or so animals in the pack, two of each type, and many of the animal types had a baby of it as well. Each of the animal types had specific personalities that we would use in our stories. We found that much more useful than playing with standard dolls, I think. Plus they were smaller, so we could make these large dioramas and give our animals a whole world. But we always knew, if we brought in any animal, what character he would play, which made storytelling much easier to do cooperatively. Because that's what we did when we played with toys, we made up stories with each other.

I've only owned three beanie babies; a unicorn, a dragon, and a pair of white tiger cubs that were playing together. (They were actually sewn together into a single toy.) I keep the unicorn on my monitor, as a mascot. The dragon is too large for it. Anyone who knows me well understands why I bought those particular ones. :)
  • SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    edited August 2017
    *Smh* am I the only girl here that preferred toy cars over barbies and other dolls? I had a miniature farm with trucks and tractors. It also had animals but they were less interesting ;)

I sometimes wonder if I had been born in this generation, would I have been called a transgender... I hated dresses and long hair and girls toys and pink, oh I hated pink! And being a girl in general... yet when I was 17 I finally decided dresses and high heels could be fun lol. Now I love cars and high heels, great combo I think xD
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
    edited August 2017
    @SjappielovePaul Reminded me of my hot wheels race track I loved that thing but was always falling apart lol. That or a car flying off of it.

I never really gave much thought to toys being gender segregated at the time even though being a boy and having action figures and hot wheels I also liked my beanies and had no issue playing with my friends dolls. Just sort of saw them as female counterparts to my action figures. Though lets be honest action figures are just dolls with plastic hair and more articulation. But shh lots not ruin the secret. :tongue:
    Siggy_4.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    FYI, my barbie had a town house, the van, and a pink car. It usually took so long to set up everything and get the barbies dressed that I don't remember much in the way of story lines. The Sims are, of course, the barbie replacement. Now, I still spend all my time setting up and dressing them and don't spend as much time actually playing!
  • Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    I was a bit of Tom Boy as well - growing up I had a full Transformer/GI Joe collection as well as Barbie and My Little Ponies - When I got my Pony paradise Estate everyone lived there together it was GI Joe's Base as well as where Barbie had her own clothing shop. I never gave it much though I played with boy and girl stuff equally - now-a-days they would say there was something wrong with me I am sure but my mother never put labels on things I was free to play when I wanted, how I wanted and with what I wanted. Ahh, I do so miss the good-ol-days.

year4_paradise-estate.jpg
  • Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    *Smh* am I the only girl here that preferred toy cars over barbies and other dolls? I had a miniature farm with trucks and tractors. It also had animals but they were less interesting ;)

I sometimes wonder if I had been born in this generation, would I have been called a transgender... I hated dresses and long hair and girls toys and pink, oh I hated pink! And being a girl in general... yet when I was 17 I finally decided dresses and high heels could be fun lol. Now I love cars and high heels, great combo I think xD

Oh, no, I had plenty of matchbox cars and trucks too...plus a bunch of little metal airplanes (my dad was a pilot!) I also loved catching lizards and climbing trees, thought snakes and mice/rats/gerbils were pretty neat critters, *hated* wearing dresses after I was school-aged, and despised pink. It's grown on me a little more now that I'm older, but yeah, lol. I'm not really a car person these days (it gets me from point A to point B, and some of them are prettier than others, and that's the extent of my interest!) but I do love some pretty heels! Still rarely wear dresses or skirts, though. :lol:

And I too had a couple of GI Joes, a Green Lantern action figure, and a really nifty Superman action figure I loved that came with a "kryptonite" ring that made him fall over when in close proximity (there were magnets in both Superman and the ring).

@ciane and yes, in many ways the sims are my grown up Barbie replacement! :wink: I think I'm more into the creating part these days, as compared to the storytelling part of my childhood.

I was lucky, my mom was of the opinion that girls could play with boy toys and boys could play with girl toys and it was all ok! (My dad hated the fact that my brother had his own cabbage patch boy doll, which he wanted because I had one....but my dad wasn't as open minded as my mom!)
    Wow, I didn't know about the magnetic kryptonite! That's super cool, @Bookworm742.

It's fun finding out all these little facts about people.
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    @SjappielovePaul I have an older brother, so I played with both toy cars *and* dolls.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Hello and ...
    620480c74200f3e81b8b1ef0ac6255b5--saturday-quotes-weekend-quotes.jpg

Sorry to interrupt all the cheerful chatter regarding childhood toys, but it's time to remind all that today is the last day to accept Buddy letters. In less than 10 hours (6 pm EST) the deadline for turning them in will be here! If any more SimFriends wish to join in the fun, please drop a post letting us know you're interested and then get those lovely letters in!

In a nutshell,
    6pm EST is the deadline for turning Buddy letters in!
    If joining, let us know to expect more letters and get those in as soon as possible.

Thanks! That is all. You may now return to what you were doing before :)
    WooHoo! I can't wait! *rubs hands together in anticipation*

• MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    legos, paints, barbies, million dollar woman doll, Lt. Uhra doll, erector set, fabric scraps, climbed trees, caught snakes - my mom banned me from bringing them in, pop cap toys, paper dolls, Lisa Frank stickers, and tons of books

I was always making something for my dolls paper or otherwise. :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    Closing in less than an hour!!!
    Closing in about half an hour!!!
    Speaking of Barbie did anyone have Gem .... I loved the show but hated the doll, she was so big she had to have all of her own clothes. On top of hat her big but couldn't fit in most of the Barbie cars I had. LOL Reading all about kids toys made me think of this ... I don't know why.

Truly Truly Outrageous!
    ** alarm buzzer **

6 o' clock and easy to see that all is good

PMs with Buddy Names will soon be sent on their way
    Then construction fun will happen in this game we all play :)
  • LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    Got my buddy as well. :)
    Siggy_4.jpg
  • tanubanuetanubanue Posts: 4,116 Member
    Received my buddies name
    Time to reread buddy letters and get inspired!
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Good luck buddies, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Mystik1978 wrote: »
    Speaking of Barbie did anyone have Gem .... I loved the show but hated the doll, she was so big she had to have all of her own clothes. On top of hat her big but couldn't fit in most of the Barbie cars I had. LOL Reading all about kids toys made me think of this ... I don't know why.

Truly Truly Outrageous!

You should have had Misfits dolls instead, their songs are better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top