Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will preteens work/look in the Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    Why not just make teens shorter no need to make new life stage which cost a lot of money to remake all the animations. Also, pre teens don't impact the game in a big way Parenthood already has teens acting like real teens.

Totally agree!! I think between YA and Adult, there should also be some redefining there! :)
  • Options
    Umm...when were preteens announced?
    Umm...when were preteens announced?

They weren't......not yet anyway
  • Options
    Klthf wrote: »
    Bear31 wrote: »
    This is what the teen stage is for....there's nothing that can be done with them that you can't do with a child or with the teen and later years even. I think that they ought to just redefine some of the stages they have now.

I would be okay with a change in the teen stage. If they were able to make teens actually look like teens I would be fine with that. If they aren't going to add preteens, than the teen stage needs a drastic change. They feel and look like young adults to me.

But please stop with the argument that there is nothing that can be done with them that can't be done with other life stages. That argument is nonsense. Young adults and adults also look and feel the same. There is really no difference between the two in the game, so that can't be the single argument for not adding preteens.

It's a legitimate question......no one here is arguing. I can and will voice my opinions......these are my opinions. If you don't like it then you can put me on ignore. I am not opposed to the OP stating her opinions in the matter nor am I trying to get her to be argumentative toward me. I'm simply asking a question and am genuinely curious.

My opinion is, since there isn't any defining of stages between teen, young adult, and adult that they need to redefine them as a whole. Maybe if they did then there wouldn't be talk of preteens.
  • Options
    navaninavani Posts: 86 Member
    The problem is that there is also not much gameplay difference between young adults, adults and the elderly. The only difference is that older women do not get pregnant. So this argument that preteens would not bring new gameplay loses its grip. The central point is that nobody jumps from the stage child to young adult. And that's what happens today in the game. At least, physically. Parenthood only corrected the behavioral issue, but the adolescents' looks still do not match reality. Although many teenagers are as tall as their parents, it is inconvenient in a game like The Sims not to know if the character walking on the street is a teenager or an adult.
  • Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    Although many teenagers are as tall as their parents, it is inconvenient in a game like The Sims not to know if the character walking on the street is a teenager or an adult.

Even if they changed teen height, we still wouldn't know whether a character walking on the street was a teen or an adult. The only time that would be helpful is when the teen is standing next to adults for height comparison. It would be a whole lot of work, for literally no reason.
  • Options
    navaninavani Posts: 86 Member
    Not if the height difference is significant. Not to mention that they could make them thinner and more innocent!
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    KlumsyKate wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I oppose the movement to allow children to romance. This is not something that the series needs, and thankfully it is almost certainly not something that the devs will implement.

This isn't child, this is preteen. Children won't allow to romance, only preteens.
    Preteens are, in fact, children.
  • Options
    The problem is that there is also not much gameplay difference between young adults, adults and the elderly. The only difference is that older women do not get pregnant. So this argument that preteens would not bring new gameplay loses its grip. The central point is that nobody jumps from the stage child to young adult. And that's what happens today in the game. At least, physically. Parenthood only corrected the behavioral issue, but the adolescents' looks still do not match reality. Although many teenagers are as tall as their parents, it is inconvenient in a game like The Sims not to know if the character walking on the street is a teenager or an adult.

Hence my stance on redefining the stages instead of adding on one that's not even needed. As another simmer stated "preteens are, in fact, children" (quoting OE)
  • Options
    KlumsyKateKlumsyKate Posts: 451 Member

Hence my stance on redefining the stages instead of adding on one that's not even needed. As another simmer stated "preteens are, in fact, children" (quoting OE)

Its an excuse. An overused excuse. Young adults and elders are adults but they get their own separate life stage. So why can't we have preteen as a separate life stage if we have young adult? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    I oppose the movement to allow children to romance. This is not something that the series needs, and thankfully it is almost certainly not something that the devs will implement.

This isn't child, this is preteen. Children won't allow to romance, only preteens.
    Preteens are, in fact, children.

Young adults are, in fact, adults. ???
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member

Its an excuse. An overused excuse. Young adults and elders are adults but they get their own separate life stage. So why can't we have preteen as a separate life stage if we have young adult? It makes no sense.

For aesthetic reasons and uni? YA probably did not require a lot of resources to create because they are baisically just adults copy and pasted but with less "old" features (wrinkles, etc).
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    FloppyFish wrote: »

For aesthetic reasons and uni? YA probably did not require a lot of resources to create because they are baisically just adults copy and pasted but with less "old" features (wrinkles, etc).

We didn't need young adults in the first place since they are "similar" or "basically the same"
  • Options
    Anyway you acted in your OP like preteens were confirmed coming or something. They aren't. They probably won't even be coming at all to The Sims 4 (or any other Sims game) period. Almost no new unique gameplay that would come for them. Seriously, I don't even know why you guys bother making these preteen threads.
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    Why do peole care so much about the exact definition of preteens? In my own native language we don't have a word for it. They are just called children. I think there are many other languages that don't have a word for it. To me, preteen would just be the name of the stage before the teen stage in the Sims 4. I have always seen the current Sims 4 teens as being around 16-19 years old. Preteens would be between 11-15 years old to me. I miss those ages in my game, and I think Sims 2 and Sims 3 teens looked more like 14-16 years old. I think preteens are supposed to fill that gap.

To get back to the original question, I think the preteen stage should be about awkwardness. About insecurity about all the changes happening. Unique to the preteen life stage could be:

- crush bars instead of romance bars, they show a one-sided relationship that can be build by giving notes to crush, staring at crush, daydreaming about crush, writing about crush, holding hands with crush, giving air kisses to crush; when preteens grow up, they might get an advantage to building the romance bar faster with a former crush (given both are teen or older of course). Preteens might ask their crush to become boyfriend/girlfriend. When accepted, they will be able to go on a date (with parental supervision: they might try to get their first kiss without being seen by their parents); when rejected, they become sad or embarrassed for a long time.
    - they keep their child trait and get a special preteen trait that changes into an adult trait when becoming teen; for example rebellious (changes into mean, evil, hothead or kleptomaniac), joyless/bored (changes into gloomy, snob or lazy), hyperactive (changes into active, childish or goofball), shy (changes into loner or clumsy), artsy (changes into creative, music lover or art lover), gamer (changes into geek, bookworm or genius), caring (changes into good, family oriented or neat), boy/girl-crazy (changes into romantic or self-assured). The idea is that these traits combine some of the traits that they might later change into, since this stage is about change and insecurity, about Sims figuring out who they are
    - preteens might become embarrassed, tense or uncomfortable when being around others ('What are they thinking of me?', 'How do I look?', 'They are all against me!', 'They are all looking at me!')
    - they might obsess over certain activities and become inspired or focused as a result and then they will be able to talk talk about those acitivities obsessively with other Sims (who might become bored as a result); this because they are still trying to figure out their interests and might thus obsess over something for a short period of time
    - in CAS boys get a breaking voice and girls also get a lower voice; a special walking style, since they are supposed to be gangling; there will be some sliders to define the body, like shoulders, breasts, etc.

Preteens should still have some childish facial features and they should be shorter than teens, but taller than children. Preteens should unlock all adult skills, but they won't be able to go past level 5 of each skill, or level 3 with five level skills like dancing and bowling. If they haven't completed their child skills, they should also still have access to those. So in effect preteens will have the same skills as children, except they will also unlock the adult skills up to level 5. This also means they should be able to use the drawing table and other child activities.

Preteens also should be able to play with toys. But they will become embarrassed if anyone sees them doing so, except when children or toddlers see them or when they are childish (or hyperactive, see preteen traits above). Preteens should also be able to care for babies or toddlers to some extent, like giving them food.

lol like another simmer said aren't these just teens / teen ideas? Why should this be for preteens specifically?
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    Anyway you acted in your OP like preteens were confirmed coming or something. They aren't. They probably won't even be coming at all to The Sims 4 (or any other Sims game) period. Almost no new unique gameplay that would come for them. Seriously, I don't even know why you guys bother making these preteen threads.

No I didn't mean to make them look like they were confirmed. If you have an issue with people making threads about preteens, then too bad. You can't do anything to stop it. People have much as write to make threads about preteens that the ones who want zombies, mermaids, witches, pets, university, seasons, cars, and other stuff. This forum is used to share ideas.
  • Options
    Why do peole care so much about the exact definition of preteens? In my own native language we don't have a word for it. They are just called children. I think there are many other languages that don't have a word for it. To me, preteen would just be the name of the stage before the teen stage in the Sims 4. I have always seen the current Sims 4 teens as being around 16-19 years old. Preteens would be between 11-15 years old to me. I miss those ages in my game, and I think Sims 2 and Sims 3 teens looked more like 14-16 years old. I think preteens are supposed to fill that gap.

To get back to the original question, I think the preteen stage should be about awkwardness. About insecurity about all the changes happening. Unique to the preteen life stage could be:

- crush bars instead of romance bars, they show a one-sided relationship that can be build by giving notes to crush, staring at crush, daydreaming about crush, writing about crush, holding hands with crush, giving air kisses to crush; when preteens grow up, they might get an advantage to building the romance bar faster with a former crush (given both are teen or older of course). Preteens might ask their crush to become boyfriend/girlfriend. When accepted, they will be able to go on a date (with parental supervision: they might try to get their first kiss without being seen by their parents); when rejected, they become sad or embarrassed for a long time.
    - they keep their child trait and get a special preteen trait that changes into an adult trait when becoming teen; for example rebellious (changes into mean, evil, hothead or kleptomaniac), joyless/bored (changes into gloomy, snob or lazy), hyperactive (changes into active, childish or goofball), shy (changes into loner or clumsy), artsy (changes into creative, music lover or art lover), gamer (changes into geek, bookworm or genius), caring (changes into good, family oriented or neat), boy/girl-crazy (changes into romantic or self-assured). The idea is that these traits combine some of the traits that they might later change into, since this stage is about change and insecurity, about Sims figuring out who they are
    - preteens might become embarrassed, tense or uncomfortable when being around others ('What are they thinking of me?', 'How do I look?', 'They are all against me!', 'They are all looking at me!')
    - they might obsess over certain activities and become inspired or focused as a result and then they will be able to talk talk about those acitivities obsessively with other Sims (who might become bored as a result); this because they are still trying to figure out their interests and might thus obsess over something for a short period of time
    - in CAS boys get a breaking voice and girls also get a lower voice; a special walking style, since they are supposed to be gangling; there will be some sliders to define the body, like shoulders, breasts, etc.

Preteens should still have some childish facial features and they should be shorter than teens, but taller than children. Preteens should unlock all adult skills, but they won't be able to go past level 5 of each skill, or level 3 with five level skills like dancing and bowling. If they haven't completed their child skills, they should also still have access to those. So in effect preteens will have the same skills as children, except they will also unlock the adult skills up to level 5. This also means they should be able to use the drawing table and other child activities.

Preteens also should be able to play with toys. But they will become embarrassed if anyone sees them doing so, except when children or toddlers see them or when they are childish (or hyperactive, see preteen traits above). Preteens should also be able to care for babies or toddlers to some extent, like giving them food.

lol like another simmer said aren't these just teens / teen ideas? Why should this be for preteens specifically?

Because its not for teens?
  • Options
    Teens act more like this than preteens I think. These ideas would make good for a teen lifestage, way better than for a preteen one. Why should these ideas be for preteens only?
    Mafia Stats

• Options
    Teens act more like this than preteens I think. These ideas would make good for a teen lifestage, way better than for a preteen one. Why should these ideas be for preteens only?

These ideas are applied only to preteens. We weren't writing these ideas down for teens.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    They will just look like taller children.
    They will reuse clothes from children and maybe teens.
    "Middle school" listed as their school.
    Some new..."traits" that give them a certain emotion +1 buff randomly.

The whole point of a pre teens is that they aren't in the "teen" numbers of age yet. They can't be thirteen, fourteen or fifteen. That's teens.

Why are you even bothering with me if you found my obsession with preteens disturbing (I don't know why and how you find it disturbing, can you please explain? I talk about all the time blah blah blah I make threads about them all the time blah blah blah Its seems disturbing that a grown woman have a weird attachment to preadolescents)? Should you be avoiding me or something like that?
  • Options
    But why should they ONLY be for preteens? Lol I feel like TEENS are more like this. All this romance and figuring out who you are stuff, it makes 9-12 year olds seem so much more complicated than they really are, lol. Teens, I feel, are more worried about reputation and romance and all that yak. And the whole "figuring out who you are" thing I feel is more of a teen thing, because you really find out who you are more when you're older. Or, you're at least more accurate.
    Mafia Stats

• Options

The whole point of a pre teens is that they aren't in the "teen" numbers of age yet. They can't be thirteen, fourteen or fifteen. That's teens.

Why are you even bothering with me if you found my obsession with preteens disturbing (I don't know why and how you find it disturbing, can you please explain? I talk about all the time blah blah blah I make threads about them all the time blah blah blah Its seems disturbing that a grown woman have a weird attachment to preadolescents)? Should you be avoiding me or something like that?
    To be fair, you are making thread after thread after thread about the same thing. It is akin to blasting an air horn and then chastising people for not ignoring the air horn.
  • Options

We didn't need young adults in the first place since they are "similar" or "basically the same"
    I agree. The Young Adult stage was designed as a vehicle for University in The Sims 2. Since then it is indistinguishable from the Adult life stage. I would prefer to have each existing phase have more meaningful interactions, rather than simply adding phases for the sake of adding phases. That is why I oppose pre-teens.
  • Options

To be fair, you are making thread after thread after thread about the same thing. It is akin to blasting an air horn and then chastising people for not ignoring the air horn.

Uh....last part is a bit confusing but I understand what you are saying. Yeah, it can get repetitive at times.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    The preteen life stage represents 11-15 year olds

wat

Thought the same :D It means preTEEN because they are under thirTEEN years old. So 10-12 I'd say.

Btw, op, I've seen you posting quiet much stuff about preteens, and most people that commented were rather against the implementation of them, do you think people become more positive about them when you post something about the same topic again?

Nah, I do that out of my own boredom.

Posting the same thing over and over out of boredom is known as spamming, flooding, or trolling. It broadcasts "I have no life".

May I suggest some more constructive hobbies: Writing in a private journal (if you don't have a journal book you can create a file and hide it on your computer, and if you have Microsoft Office you can even password protect it), playing sports, watching youtube videos (especially ones on how to do stuff), whittling sticks with a pocketknife, picking (and eating) edible berries (mmm..strawberries, blueberries, blackberries), gardening (in hot weather you can water yourself as well as the plants), running through/jumping over a lawn sprinkler, playing computer games (if you are bored with the ones you are playing, play different games), write letters/emails to friends and family or send "I'm thinking of you" greeting cards (homemade if you cannot afford to buy them), take up crocheting or knitting, draw or paint pictures in a sketchbook (or draw on lined paper if you don't have a sketchbook), write jokes/satire, learn how to use a 3D art program, teach yourself to program a computer or tablet app. The list could go on and on.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options

No I didn't mean to make them look like they were confirmed. If you have an issue with people making threads about preteens, then too bad. You can't do anything to stop it. People have much as write to make threads about preteens that the ones who want zombies, mermaids, witches, pets, university, seasons, cars, and other stuff. This forum is used to share ideas.

I never said I had an issue with people making preteen threads. But, I have an issue with spamming the forums with the same old "preteens are 11 to 15, they go to middle school, have crushes, and X and Y." that you post every week. None of your preteen threads are significantly different from each other, and propose the same old same old ideas generally. Just post on your current threads, you don't need knew ones.

I am also allowed to discuss on your threads (and anyone else's). At the bottom of each thread I have an option to "COMMENT" on it, as in, share MY VIEW on the topic. If I disagree with what YOU say, I can SAY MY OPINION. I never said, "Oh you're not allowed to post preteen threads omg I hate them so much..." or, "Oh MEH GOsh You CANNOT post a PRETEEN!!! thread!!!". What I did say, though, was my VIEW ON PRETEENS on your preteen threads.
    Mafia Stats