Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Distinguish my reaction on the posts

I didn't find a separate thread for ideas and suggestions, so I make this one because there's one issue that bothers me just a little.
I wish that when I click some reaction like "Like" or "Awsome" on a post, it becomes bolded or something like that. Kind of like it is on Facebook or YouTube. I'm not even sure if it's possible but it'd be cool :)
I'm writing that also because maybe there's such feature already and that's just my browser's fault. That kind of information would be helpful as well ;)

Comments

• PreslynnPreslynn Posts: 36 Member
    I really want to know WHO liked my posts as well. Like on facebook.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I don't think it is a very good idea, particularly in that forum users here utilize the Insightful tag as a downvote option. Seeing who is doing it is going to lead to a lot more personal animosity than already exists. Things are improving here quickly with the new management. Let's not take a step backward.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,567 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I don't think it is a very good idea, particularly in that forum users here utilize the Insightful tag as a downvote option. Seeing who is doing it is going to lead to a lot more personal animosity than already exists. Things are improving here quickly with the new management. Let's not take a step backward.

Hello @OEII1001
    The suggestion is only for the simmer to see themselves that they have pressed like or awesome or insightful on a post. It helps them to check to see if they earlier pressed it on the post. It is only the simmer who did it themselves who would see it, not the person who wrote the post.
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @OEII1001
    The suggestion is only for the simmer to see themselves that they have pressed like or awesome or insightful on a post. It helps them to check to see if they earlier pressed it on the post. It is only the simmer who did it themselves who would see it, not the person who wrote the post.
    My apologies then for speaking out of turn.
  • lisalittlesimmerlisalittlesimmer Posts: 404 Member
    @OEII1001 people usethe insightful button as a downvote? Who? Why? I always used it for what is says, I'm confused now about the few insightfuls I got :D
    My lot showcase
    Origin ID: lisalittlesimmer
    K5IURhP.jpg
    @OEII1001 people usethe insightful button as a downvote? Who? Why? I always used it for what is says, I'm confused now about the few insightfuls I got :D
    I was surprised to learn that too. When I first started posting here I would click the Insightful option regularly if I found the post, well, insightful. After reading of prominent forum members using it as a downvote I stopped clicking it altogether. I only click Like or Awesome now.

For me, yes, I have over 400 downvotes. Maybe I should get a badge.
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    OEII1001 people usethe insightful button as a downvote? Who? Why? I always used it for what is says, I'm confused now about the few insightfuls I got :D

I've honestly never heard this either, granted I've only been here a short time, but I typically see insightfuls on..well...insightful posts.
    Karallyne wrote: »
    OEII1001 people usethe insightful button as a downvote? Who? Why? I always used it for what is says, I'm confused now about the few insightfuls I got :D

I've honestly never heard this either, granted I've only been here a short time, but I typically see insightfuls on..well...insightful posts.
    Well the story, as it was relayed to me, is that there used to be an LOL button -- obviously not League of Legends. While intended to be used with things one found humorous, it was quickly appropriated as mockery, as one might imagine it would be. So LOL was replaced with Insightful. The cool kids got together and decided that Insightful was going to be the new LOL, and here we are. I think it's needlessly mean, so I never click it.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    @Preslynn,
    Preslynn wrote: »
    I really want to know WHO liked my posts as well. Like on facebook.
    Others have asked for this as well but the moderation team won't enable it for us to see who hit. We once had a glitch on the site that allowed some members to see who hit what because of certain browsers had allowed it but that soon got fixed as it did nothing but caused problems. When we had the Disagree and others could see who had hit them, they would then turn around and ask when that person thought that they had to hit the disagree button. Some members had taken to members pages to harass them and even made harassing PM's to some members who had hit the Disagree button. And even now that we don't have them, the Simguru's had already stated that they won't allow this to happen as they don't want trouble on the site. So it's best to leave it a mystery and not allow it.
  • HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    Thank you @rosemow for understanding my idea :) I don't really need to see who liked my post. I just want to know if I did react already for somebody else's one. I don't always remember if I liked particular post so I'm ending up with clicking it twice. It's a small detail but with bigger amount it could even save some time ;)
  • PreslynnPreslynn Posts: 36 Member
    If Insightful is being used in a mean way by people who are "in the know", on people who don't know what is going on, it shouldn't be there. I thought all three options were positive, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested what I did (which I only did it here because I cannot make my own thread. Sorry for hijacking this Helena!)

A bit dramatic maybe but just knowing this now makes me consider not bothering to become a full member because it makes the board sound cliquey and like certain members are laughing behind newer members backs because they don't know that they are being laughed at when "Insightful" is hit. I had enough of the cool kids and their secret schemes and language in high school already.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I wouldn't worry about the insightful movement. It seems to have mostly died out and never seemed very strong to begin with. When I got them it made me grin. I don't get as many as I use too lol. Feel free to give me insightfuls whenever you want.
    As for the bolding. I don't know. I sometimes reclick a like but its rare. I'd have to forget I read something. Sometimes I have a bit of lag when I click like and get errors now and then on the site. I'm guessing if it puts more stress on the system.. no I don't think I'd like that.
    egTcBMc.png
    @Preslynn Don't worry, your idea is not offtopic and I was a new member myself not so long time ago, so I understand :)
    As for insightful reaction, I also find it rather strange. I see how 'LOL' one could've been used in a mocking way, but insightful? Weird, indeed. Especially that it's rather hard to figure it out on your own.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited August 2017
    Thank you @rosemow for understanding my idea :) I don't really need to see who liked my post. I just want to know if I did react already for somebody else's one. I don't always remember if I liked particular post so I'm ending up with clicking it twice. It's a small detail but with bigger amount it could even save some time ;)

You'll see the number of likes, insightfuls and awesomes going up or down after you click. That is the way I find if I had clicked one before. Bolding is a good idea though as I also have a variable memory!

I thought it was Awesome that was used as lol though for some time after lol disappeared. I welcome any. :p
    Post edited by Simburian on
    @Mchap353 Yes, I know about numbers going up and down. However, I still have to click it, see that numbers went down, and then click it again ;)
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited August 2017
    This reminds me of the time when Chrome had a glitch where you could see who had loled your posts. Things got ugly super fast, especially on the activities page, woooo wee :D

A couple of regulars had a sudden departure :neutral: Yeah.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    I need a feature like that too, I always end up clicking on a reaction for my post twice, therefore removing the reaction alltogether when all I wanted is to give the person a like and I forgot that I already did it before. Just mark the button we already clicked somehow, either by making it bold, italic, by inverting the colors of the number button... Something, anything.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited August 2017
    I was surprised to learn that too. When I first started posting here I would click the Insightful option regularly if I found the post, well, insightful. After reading of prominent forum members using it as a downvote I stopped clicking it altogether. I only click Like or Awesome now.

I've given you insightful that were genuine before, so not quite that many down votes I promise :)

Anyways I agree with op I also would like someway to tell if I have reacted to something or not.
    Preslynn wrote: »
    If Insightful is being used in a mean way by people who are "in the know", on people who don't know what is going on, it shouldn't be there. I thought all three options were positive, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested what I did (which I only did it here because I cannot make my own thread. Sorry for hijacking this Helena!)

A bit dramatic maybe but just knowing this now makes me consider not bothering to become a full member because it makes the board sound cliquey and like certain members are laughing behind newer members backs because they don't know that they are being laughed at when "Insightful" is hit. I had enough of the cool kids and their secret schemes and language in high school already.

Honestly a few people say this but even look at most of us here and we don't get it or didn't know.
    I find it humorous actually because I don't care if someone thinks insightful can be insulting that isn't what the English language says and I still get points for it :smirk: jokes on them in my mind.
    Others who have said they were aware of it also have mentioned how while it was a thing when lol first was removed it really isn't used in such a manner anymore. (probably because bullies want reactions and insightful as I said doesn't insult naturally.)
    Don't stress about it, majority of the people here don't know about it and many of those who do probably aren't being mean. It's a select few and really they just aren't smart enough to grasp what insightful means in my opinion. :)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited August 2017
    You used to be able to see who liked what but it caused such a scene as we also had disagree back then so everyone complained when someone disagreed with their content. I once even had a message from someone asking me why I disagreed with them in a thread :#
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I think most of us here agree that we don't need to see WHO liked/disliked our post - we just want to see if we already have reacted to particular post :)
  • naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    i have 11 insightful, does that mean 11 people made fun of me without me knowing ?
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @nani I have 2000! :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I would like this feature too. I am always forgetting if I have already liked/awesomed a post.

You do already have 4 Insightful badges. ;) Insightful is better than Zagadoo. I still remember when I received my very first Zagadoo......
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1