Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do's and dont's trolling is too vague

"Don’ts that can get you banned right away:"
"Be a troll. Trolling is deliberately posting sarcastic, off topic, or rude things to start a fight."

Sarcasm is hard to identify online as it is. Something that one will think is sarcastic, might not be so at all. I think it's kind of dangerous that that can be a straightforward ban, but it's completely up to the interpretation of the mod reading the comment.

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think the three main rules cover that issue.
    Be kind, respectful, and polite.
    Don't ask the same question over and over again.
    Post relevant replies to the discussions other members create.

So if you are polite, and keep to the OP's topic you should be good. I'm pretty sure they would take in a posters history when determining that last part.. since it's "can" get you banned. "Can" indicates a process back there. Hopefully history starts when all of this was implemented.
    I'm happy for the changes personally. I've noticed people are more polite already.
    egTcBMc.png
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I think the three main rules cover that issue.
    Be kind, respectful, and polite.
    Don't ask the same question over and over again.
    Post relevant replies to the discussions other members create.

So if you are polite, and keep to the OP's topic you should be good. I'm pretty sure they would take in a posters history when determining that last part.. since it's "can" get you banned. "Can" indicates a process back there. Hopefully history starts when all of this was implemented.
    I'm happy for the changes personally. I've noticed people are more polite already.
    I agree with your assessment regarding current behavior. The sort of aggressive behavior that this forum has seen has all but died out since the EA staff introduced themselves. A little upturning of the social order is a healthy thing. Let's hope it continues.

All in all I am very pleased with the new management.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I meant to say first three not three main. I think I said it that way because those are the ones that matter the most to me. I'm sure people have seen them but here's the link.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/922562/sims-forum-rules-and-guidelines#latest
    egTcBMc.png
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    main rules are easy to understand, however in a company with many different employees that will all have the right to judge as they see fit, you really don't want to be vague. Sarcasm is hard to identify. Off topic can range from someone going "oh BTW I played that game too!" to actually hurtful comments. You're talking about a few hundred separate moderators all making personal judgement based on that rule. Which is why I think the rules should be as clear as possible.
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    @mirta000 It is very hard to get into that much detail with the rules - if we did that the Rules & Guidelines would be 10+ pages long. In most cases the rules do boil down to simple short rules that were highlighted above (Thank you @Hermitgirl :smile: ):
    • Be kind, respectful, and polite.
    • Don't ask the same question over and over again.
    • Post relevant replies to the discussions other members create.
    • Keep secret stuff secret: don’t post personal info. That means your home address, email address, phone number, credit card details, EA account details, or CD-keys / Product Codes.
    • Follow the EA User Agreement.
    • Report abuse to an EA Community Manager or a moderator. You can click the Flag button on any offending post.

As for personal judgment of the moderators - we work as a team and get input from each other all the time so we aim to be aligned as much as possible
    We also appreciate that your opinion may be different, that is why we have appeals system for bans. For other actions, you can send a moderator a private message if you have questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top