Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think of The Sims 4 on PS4/Xbox One?

Recently The Sims 4 has been announced for PS4 and Xbox One but reactions from Simmers, particularly from Windows and Mac Simmers, have been mixed. The console release will probably satisfy players interested in The Sims series who doesn't own a PC or Mac but has a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One but Windows and macOS players will find little interest in it since the console port will likely be the same as the Windows/macOS version.

Console games of The Sims are considered one of The Sims games to have divided The Sims' fanbase since the console games are different from the games on Windows and macOS. The PC vs Console argument/debate doesn't help. Here's what I consider The Sims' fanbase to be divided into:
  • Those who only accept the Windows and macOS games and dislike any game not on Windows/macOS.
  • Those who will accept the games on any platform.
  • Those who like The Sims 2 but dislike The Sims 3.
  • Those who like The Sims 2 and/or The Sims 3 but dislike The Sims 4.

I don't know if anyone likes or dislikes The Sims and/or The Sims Bustin' Out since both have the gameplay of The Sims on Windows although it included an object limiter and only allowed one floor. The Urbz: Sims in the City or The Sims 2 are what caused the community to be divided between PC and console.

The Sims 2 is what started the war between Windows and console since this game and The Sims 2 Pets are viewed as inferior to the Windows version since the console version lacked children, aging, and multi-stories although TS2 had 2 player which is the last Sims console game (until MySims Party and Racing) to have 2 player.

The Sims 3 on PS3/Xbox 360 did improve on the issues (such as removal of kids) but it's a mixed bag. While did have the Windows and macOS gameplay elements, many Simmers disliked the changes in PS3/Xbox 360 such as the fire meter, removal of open world, not being able to change Households, and Sims removed from the Household being deleted none which were issues on the original Windows and macOS version. The PS3/Xbox 360 version is also viewed as a carbon copy of The Sims 3 on Windows and macOS since the former is almost identical to the latter aside from the inclusion of Karma Powers, Challenges, and some changes.

And now we have The Sims 4 being announced for PS4/Xbox One. I don't know if this game divided The Sims 4's community but it seems Simmers are divided between players who are excited that The Sims 4 is coming to their console and those who think the console game won't be as good as the Windows/macOS version, the fact that the console trailer is using the Windows footage doesn't help. Also some Simmers have gotten disappointed that The Sims 4 will not be coming to Nintendo Switch.

I don't know what people think of The Urbz: Sims in the City and The Sims 2 Castaway since neither of them have a Windows version (although The Sims Castway Stories could be considered a PC equivalent). I'd assume The Sims 2 Apartment Pets was hated considering the negative reception (I think).

What are your thoughts about The Sims 4 on console and the console games in general?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    My thoughts are I hope it's just like the pc version.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think Sims 4 will be suited for those that do not use computers or have problems with it on the PC. For me it may not be a wise choice being I play on the PC. I believe Sims 4 may be better developed for the console looking on how they evolved but there will still be some shortcuts on it. I just do not see it functioning 100% on the console as it is on the PC not even on the Xbox One X unless EA/Maxis program for it separately but that won't happen and MS would not allow it in order to keep the older Xbox Ones compatible and uniform. Also, you still can't use an mouse. All in all EA/Maxis still might make quite a bit of money on Sims 4 for Consoles. Update: Guess I was wrong about myself, The console is not too skimpy and even though I hate the controller it plays like the PC version and it appears to be better than all the other console versions made in the past. I am hoping MS get those Mouse and keyboard support in soon.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think its brilliant they are bringing the game to console. There isnt really any need for a divide in the community as we know that the console game wont effect the development of the pc game as any dlc that comes out on the console will be from the line up of dlc we already have released on pc. Plus to be honest if you already own it on pc then whats the problem, you dont have to buy it again on console if you dont want to. I think its going to sell really well on console, especially now that the majority of games are sold digitally. You can shop for games at home on your sofa, i know you could do that before on older consoles but more people have access to better wifi and its become more of a common thing to do.
  • Options
    Linds6606Linds6606 Posts: 72 Member
    Since the game is coming to consoles does that mean I could play with an XBOX controller on my pc?
  • Options
    usamoyousamoyo Posts: 7 New Member
    I've been playing the Sims for many years. My first sims game was Bustin' Out on the PS2. I remember this game fondly and enjoyed it at the time, but much like many childhood games, revisiting it now wasn't as fun as I remembered it to be. Replaying the Sims 2 Pets on PS2 was even less enjoyable. Nowadays, I solely play Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4 on PC.

But I understand why. The Sims is a complex game in terms of mechanisms, and carrying this over to console would be difficult. Yet, I somewhat have hope for this instalment of Sims on console. In the past, in terms of memory the PS3 and Xbox 360 were much less capable. The 360 came in 4GB, 12GB, 20GB, 60GB, 250GB and 320GB. If the average person had, say 60GB, the Sims 4 would have been a no-go on a console like this. Although the base game itself wouldn't take up a huge amount of memory, if we would like to hope there will someday be expansion packs on console (rather than a repeat of the Sims 2 Pets), then we would start to see the memory filling up very quickly.
    Saying this, the recent Xbox One comes in sizes up to 1TB, which is plenty of space by anybody's standards.

Forgetting expansion packs, as long as the base game itself becomes a port of a good standard, I'm not fussed. But it would be great to see expansion packs become a thing on console as DLC.
  • Options
    usamoyousamoyo Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Linds6606 said:
    > Since the game is coming to consoles does that mean I could play with an XBOX controller on my pc?

I somewhat doubt it since the UI is designed for mouse, but you never know.
  • Options
    KellzKellz Posts: 8 New Member
    I love the fact that Sims 4 is on PS4 but I along with many many others thinks it's pretty messed up how Sims 4 doesn't have schools or grocery stores that was the biggest let down to myself an all my followers an friends we all ask to please put stores an schools in Sims 4 like it was in Sims 3..an we would love to hear what will or want be done about this?
  • Options
    MrStrangeMrStrange Posts: 66 Member
    I've been pretty happy with it. Couple things here and there struck me as odd, like no Sliding Doors, no phones except for the one you keep on you, cars , just little things . That being, that they are not there.

Is there a way to keep specific families from aging when you are not playing them? If you know, couldn't hurt to make that an option . I don't know how hard it would be to patch in an option for that.
    Maybe household Sims saved in the library don't age?

Just a thought!
  • Options
    shotbyronshotbyron Posts: 59 Member
    The game itself is a lot of fun! I played the first Sims game. And Sims 2. Haven't really played the series since. So this was a huge step up from the last game I played. I am really disappointed with the amount of content though. Maybe it's just me.. but it seems like the older games had way more stuff in it. The controls aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.
  • Options
    Im enjoying it. Its brilliant that console players now have the same experience as pc players.
  • Options
    Paulmarch76Paulmarch76 Posts: 56 Member
    Great game. Still prefer the Sims 3 controls for PS3. The Triple Play trophy is a pain. I have tried for it at least 30 times with no success. On the plus side male pregnancy is fun! All I want them to add is body hair & Werewolves.
    Grease is the word!
  • Options
    crashhat141crashhat141 Posts: 90 Member
    I've only had the sims 4 for a couple days but I can already tell the sims 3 console was a far better game. The sims 3 had so many buildings you could go to, you could complete challenges as you play, and karma powers. The sims 4 doesnt even have any challenges from what I can see. I'm already regreting my purchase!
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I've only had the sims 4 for a couple days but I can already tell the sims 3 console was a far better game. The sims 3 had so many buildings you could go to, you could complete challenges as you play, and karma powers. The sims 4 doesnt even have any challenges from what I can see. I'm already regreting my purchase!

They make challenges or special events every once and awhile. This game gets updates every so often to add that along with fixes bugs.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

They make challenges or special events every once and awhile. This game gets updates every so often to add that along with fixes bugs.

I could be wrong but im pretty sure i read on twitter that console players wont get those special events. Im sure i saw this in an FAQ somewhere, may have been the official one IGN were referring to in their review. I think the way that patches are rolled out for console is a longer process as it has to go to sony/Microsoft before its rolled out and i imagine that takes a while hence why they wont do the events on console. Again could be wrong as just a guess going off a comment simguruduke made.
    Post edited by Simsfan99111 on
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

I could be wrong but im pretty sure i read on twitter that console players wont get those special events.

Perhaps, they may not. The console version sounds too restrictive for some people. But, they did say that it was supposed to be the same as the PC experience. It did not live to my expectations, so I stay on PC to play. My teen wanted it for console, so she bought it herself since I refused to rebuy a game I already own for pc.
  • Options
    JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    I never played The Sims on a console before, and the controller is a bit tricky in the beginning, but so far I prefer it to the PC. I know we still have some bugs that need fixing but The Sims 3 on PC was a nightmare for me! That's the reason I stopped playing The Sims 3, just too many bugs and glitches that I wasn't enjoying the game anymore.

I was going to skip The Sims 4 but then I saw that it was coming to consoles and I thought I'd give it a try. So far, I'm happy with the game. Maybe it is still too early to tell how smooth gameplay is going to be, as we don't have all the content yet.

The fact we cannot have mods doesn't bother me because I never liked using them.
  • Options
    crashhat141crashhat141 Posts: 90 Member
    Getting events every once in awhile seems kind of lame compared to a in game list of 300 challenges that you could do while playing the game. I didn't know this was a direct port of the pc version, I figured it was going to be similar to the sims 3 console. Bringing a direct port over was their first mistake.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

In my opinion TS4 Console is much better. TS3 Console was buggy plus you couldn't change households. If you did yours was wiped. Also TS4 is a direct port of the pc version TS3 wasn't.
  • Options
    JokertasticJokertastic Posts: 1 New Member
    I was excited for this game on PS4 at first, but I am not regretting my purchase. I came in with the expectation that I could have a premade house, and not have to build one from scratch. It took me hours just to create my characters, and with no architectural eye and very little time to play my PS4 (only on the weekends), I don't even see myself playing this. At this rate, I'd pay for a pre-made house option for DLC.
  • Options
    JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    > @Jokertastic said:
    > I was excited for this game on PS4 at first, but I am not regretting my purchase. I came in with the expectation that I could have a premade house, and not have to build one from scratch. It took me hours just to create my characters, and with no architectural eye and very little time to play my PS4 (only on the weekends), I don't even see myself playing this. At this rate, I'd pay for a pre-made house option for DLC.

I agree that we should get the option to play one of the premade households when starting a new game. It also took me ages to create one to begin playing. Hope that option can be added with a future update.
  • Options
    At first I was upset cause we didn't have stores but once I got the hang of the game it is actually a great game I spend day an night on it but it would be great if they put schools an grocery stores back that would just make it that much better an to have drivable cars or even just cars to get u to point A an B like in Sims 3 I'd be happy with that but it's a great game
  • Options
    Definitely need more places to go
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited December 2017
    Recently The Sims 4 has been announced for PS4 and Xbox One but reactions from Simmers, particularly from Windows and Mac Simmers, have been mixed. The console release will probably satisfy players interested in The Sims series who doesn't own a PC or Mac but has a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One but Windows and macOS players will find little interest in it since the console port will likely be the same as the Windows/macOS version.

Console games of The Sims are considered one of The Sims games to have divided The Sims' fanbase since the console games are different from the games on Windows and macOS. The PC vs Console argument/debate doesn't help. Here's what I consider The Sims' fanbase to be divided into:
    • Those who only accept the Windows and macOS games and dislike any game not on Windows/macOS.
    • Those who will accept the games on any platform.
    • Those who like The Sims 2 but dislike The Sims 3.
    • Those who like The Sims 2 and/or The Sims 3 but dislike The Sims 4.

I don't know if anyone likes or dislikes The Sims and/or The Sims Bustin' Out since both have the gameplay of The Sims on Windows although it included an object limiter and only allowed one floor. The Urbz: Sims in the City or The Sims 2 are what caused the community to be divided between PC and console.

The Sims 2 is what started the war between Windows and console since this game and The Sims 2 Pets are viewed as inferior to the Windows version since the console version lacked children, aging, and multi-stories although TS2 had 2 player which is the last Sims console game (until MySims Party and Racing) to have 2 player.

The Sims 3 on PS3/Xbox 360 did improve on the issues (such as removal of kids) but it's a mixed bag. While did have the Windows and macOS gameplay elements, many Simmers disliked the changes in PS3/Xbox 360 such as the fire meter, removal of open world, not being able to change Households, and Sims removed from the Household being deleted none which were issues on the original Windows and macOS version. The PS3/Xbox 360 version is also viewed as a carbon copy of The Sims 3 on Windows and macOS since the former is almost identical to the latter aside from the inclusion of Karma Powers, Challenges, and some changes.

And now we have The Sims 4 being announced for PS4/Xbox One. I don't know if this game divided The Sims 4's community but it seems Simmers are divided between players who are excited that The Sims 4 is coming to their console and those who think the console game won't be as good as the Windows/macOS version, the fact that the console trailer is using the Windows footage doesn't help. Also some Simmers have gotten disappointed that The Sims 4 will not be coming to Nintendo Switch.

I don't know what people think of The Urbz: Sims in the City and The Sims 2 Castaway since neither of them have a Windows version (although The Sims Castway Stories could be considered a PC equivalent). I'd assume The Sims 2 Apartment Pets was hated considering the negative reception (I think).

What are your thoughts about The Sims 4 on console and the console games in general?

Improved controls
    The gallery
    CC and mods

Might temp me to buy it but honestly it looks just the same as the PC so why should I even buy it all over again if its just the same game with even less options and less packs I already got for PC.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    The game being a direct port of the PC/Mac version means that the PS4/Xbox One version will stay true to the original and devoid of limitations that plagued previous console games such as the controversial fire meter. It will also include the features added through updates (this could be good or bad depending on the feedback) in the PC/Mac version.

However, the bad thing of this means that the UI isn't scaled (according to play people say) and the controls being awkward according to some players. Regarding the features added through updates, the update features being included in PS4/Xbox One is good if it's a feature that Simmers are OK with such as Pools, cross-dressing, basements, and toddlers, but this can be bad if it's a controversial feature such as the Monster under the bed or the Tragic Clown especially since the former can't be disabled other than purchasing Coolala, The Defender Wall Light or using a double bed instead of a single bed.

There are also some other criticisms too such as the fact that The Sims 4 will not be coming to the Nintendo Switch and that The Sims 4 is more expensive on PS4/Xbox One than on Windows/macOS. For example, The Sims 4's Standard Edition on Windows/macOS is $39.99 USD whereas the same edition on PS4/Xbox One is $49.99 USD (a $10 USD difference). This is also true with Digital Deluxe (Windows/Mac) and Deluxe Party Edition (PS4/Xbox One) where they're $49.99 and $59.99 USD respectively. Also DLC from Windows/Mac don't carry over which I can see being a problem since TS4 plus every DLC is $400+ USD although keep in mind that the PS4/Xbox One port is for people who want to play The Sims but doesn't have a Mac or a Windows PC (or your PC/Mac can't play The Sims 4 well).
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    GunngirlGunngirl Posts: 32 Member
    I tried it waaaaaay back, back when it was probably sims 2 or some type of sims version on console. I was probably on Playstation 2 at the time, can't remember. But it sucked. obviously things have improved, but I still think the sims is meant for a computer. But I'm glad a better version is for console players who might not have a good enough computer or never bought the game before. Then it might be worth it to you.