Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm done with Windows 10... When plums hit the fan...

BluessunBluessun Posts: 139 Member
edited August 2017 in Off Topic Chat
Honestly speaking, this would be just a bunch of plums, even in simlish, so..

My main rig is old, i7 860 @ 3.6, 16Gb ram, GTX 1070 (omg something from this century), few HDD's from 2005 and bunch of gaming gear with one 144Hz 21x9 (2560x1080) monitor. It actually runs GTA V at 90-110fps, Sims 3 and 4 steady 144fps (Sims 3 Isla Paradiso how ever 10-30), Medieval Engineers for some reason caps at 120 and so on..

My travel laptop (Lenovo Yogabook) promted about creative update, ok, go for it. Few minutes later my main rig wanted to install it too but without any option to do it later. Ok.. if I must.. And all those plums were flying after that...

Yogabooks screen is turned 90 degrees off and my main rig is stuck (again) loading useless junk. So it takes (again) about couple of days to sort things out plus to find all new useless plums with this update... And install drivers again for G25, TrackIr5... In words, plum plum plum microsoft plum plum...

I'm going back to Win 7 on my main rig, at least then I maby can play Sims 3 maby every day, not once a week... My second desktop is just fine with Win 7, though it's not able to play games since it's built for other stuff.

Sorry for all those plums, just had to get this out of my system...

(no plums were actually hurt in any way making this post)

Your turn ;)
Sims 3 PC monitor is discontinued due severe freeze and/or sunburn! Yeah, I'm a nut, so give me a cracker... With cheese, please..
"I knew this was a great idea! But you should have told me how bad it actually is..."

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,293 Member
    Are you suggesting that Windows 10 has a need to update, endlessly? My gaming rig is just turning three years old next month. I specifically purchased it with Windows 7, for which I'm quite happy. Just got a laptop, for travel, that has Windows 10 on it. Already I hate it. Too many bells and whistles that I can't understand. Mind you, I switched from Windows XP to 7 without any hitch. I'm seriously considering downloading a beta program that will make Windows 10 look and feel more like Windows 7, since I can't even find where I can change my desktop. I hate those plumb balloons!

I am in the process of transferring files from my gaming rig to this laptop. I would very much like to transfer my FTM 2017 program, too, but we'll see if that's possible. I have considered downloading Origin to it, too, just to see if this laptop has what it takes to play my game. Not hopeful of that, but wanting to experiment anyway. At worst, it won't play and I'll simply delete Origin. Windows 7 can also run Sims2.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • BluessunBluessun Posts: 139 Member
    edited August 2017
    Sims 2 works on Win 10 too.

I might have something in setting and tweaking I have missed but my main rig first liked win 10 but now it's forcing me to update to newer build (again) and that's the main problem. My rig is old enough for win 10 trying to force drivers that does not work. I have auto driverupdate off, but still it forces noncompatible junk every now and then. Plus my old and slow HDD's and P55 chipset on MB does not make it any easier..

I do not see any reason to update the main rig (hardware) cause it runs games so good (when win10 is not plumming it).

And I like win 10, it is actually very good. Updating system is just very big pile of plums and specially with older hardware like my rig, compatelrunner.exe is a real issue before you get it shut down for good..
    Sims 3 PC monitor is discontinued due severe freeze and/or sunburn! Yeah, I'm a nut, so give me a cracker... With cheese, please..
    "I knew this was a great idea! But you should have told me how bad it actually is..."
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Well, you shouldn't have upgraded your old rig to Windows 10. But to be fair, I have a new rig with a fresh install of Win 10 and it still stinks. The updates always break something... *sigh*
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    True, but I am in luck because I did not use my Win7 Ultimate key to upgrade, I had a spare Pro key so I used that. I do feel sorry for everyone who cannot go back to Win7 anymore..

I'm suprised that even with new equipment it's still this bad. Somehow reminds me of Windows Millenium Edition. That was most likely worst windows ever :neutral:

My Yogabook is now good, took actually only 10 mins to fix it :blush: ...

While my main rig is currently updating Win7, I'm almost sure I'll get it ready today. Then it's time for simming :)
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Yay, at least you got Windows 7 back. Happy simming!
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    Good to hear you've been able to go back to Windows 7. I've heard so many bad things about Windows 10 that I have no intention of upgrading until it's absolutely required. Windows 7 supposedly will stop receiving support at some point in 2020 which is probably going to be bad since it sounds as though nothing else is likely to come along to use instead. :|
    We can hope that Win7 will get extended support like WinXP did. If not, I'm seriously considering Linux...
    Guess what.. I have to start all over again.. When I get new HDD for windows... For plums sake it was only 14 years old drive...

Now this is why I NEVER have my photos, music, games and other software on same disk where windows is installed. All I really lost was bookmarks from this week and few screenshots.

Win 10 and Win 7 are now at siege. This impossible situation will be altered as soon as more hard or solid space comes available, when the middle man between bank and wallet makes a decision that makes no sence anyway. Now where is my plumgun...
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Kendrana wrote: »
    Good to hear you've been able to go back to Windows 7. I've heard so many bad things about Windows 10 that I have no intention of upgrading until it's absolutely required. Windows 7 supposedly will stop receiving support at some point in 2020 which is probably going to be bad since it sounds as though nothing else is likely to come along to use instead. :|

It's in January 2020. I think the 14th.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Microsoft's been trying so hard to force the Windows 10 Creator's Update on me for the longest time after I tested it some months ago and went back to my earlier PC build.

Windows 10 Creator's Update boasts "game optimization" when it actually gave me so many sudden issues with my games. Games like GTA 5 and Witcher 3 which played at a steady 60 FPS before CU on average were suddenly playing at much lower frames per second on average ON CU.

I've since then opted out of "feature updates" and just recently aggressively blocked that particular Creator's Update update from ever hitting my PC.

I get that they want to keep things up-to-date and fresh, but I also think it's unfair that they force these updates on us who have absolutely no problems with our PCs the way we have them set.
    // take me back to 2018.
    Windows 10 was quite good untill recently, though I still don't understand why it needs force updates that is allready known to not work properly on older rigs.

I actually don't care about the telemetry system either, I have nothing to hide, just don't do it when I need the computing power somewhere else and same goes for those update checks too. That's why I have all telemetry blocked. Usually I can browse web in peace, and this would be a good time to check/run anything useless but no, 30-45 minutes ingame, then all needs to be done at same time slowing my computer down to almost halt. Shutdown the game and wait few minutes, and all is good for hours.

I bought SSD today so maby that will change now. At least installing windows (10 and 7 dualboot) was extremely quick and updating 7 goes lightning fast. Win 10 still needs to be updated and all that gaming junk :D

I wish there isn't going to be any more hickups.
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I used GWX Control Panel to keep the Win10 "update" (though it seems more like an "UPGRADE" to me) from EVER installing itself onto my machine! Sadly, this means that I've not updated my o/s since this mess first started - too nervous that Win10 might sneak onto my machine!

I'm happy with my Win8.1 and don't plan to "update" to Win10 any time soon! I was forced to upgrade once from my Win XP to my current system (thank to Hurricane Matthew wrecking most of my stuff)! I'm not going thru another "forced upgrade" again!

RIP "Dino-PC" and ALL my old Sims saves! :(
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
    @5782341b77vl Sorry to hear about "Dino-PC". Hopefully that was the worst loss there.

Win 7 seems to have as much system slowing garbage as win 10 these days but with a little luck, I think I found a way to avoid these. Updating is now completely off, at least it should be and I found one new telemetry thingy thru services.msc in Win 10. So far so good, and I'm almost ready for gaming again. Sims 3 iching in my plumgun :p
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    edited August 2017
    Just wanted to mention that someone pointed me to a program called Spybot Anti-Beacon a while back. I use it on my Windows 7 Pro install and apparently it's supposed to take care of the telemetry nonsense; that is assuming M$ is even still trying to push that on people using the Win 7 OS.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I have this Windows 7 unregistered install disk from wayback that I was going to use on a past laptop which gave up the ghost before I impulsively (Christmas Sale) bought an Windows 8 one. I keep threatening the laptop with it. Reformat and install.

NB Save all the latest available device drivers for the hoped for or current OS to a usb stick after installing the basic ones on first install. They might be unavailable later on - as I have found.