Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All Girls?

Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
So, I decided to start a new Legacy attempt. Nothing new there *Shakes head, laughing at myself*

Anyways, my founder has four children now. Three pregnancies. And each and every one of the four, are girls. I definitely went and rolled the dice in CAS before the births of all of the younger siblings, to avoid the dreaded "First Born Glitch". And while I wanted her to have three children to be able to chose from, for the heir, the game decided to surprise me with twins as the outcome of her third pregnancy. FUN! *LOL*

But all four are girls. Now I know this happens in real life all the time, but...Later on down the road, when the heir and the spares start having their own kids, if it turns out that I've got an "all girl glitch", does anyone know of a way to fix it? I dont have any CC or mods that would cause such, at least I'm pretty darn sure, anyways.

Would appreciate it if anyone has any advice/feedback on this, thank you!

Now, back to dealing with 1 child, 1 toddler and 2 babies in game...Oh, did I mention the oldest was born with only one nice point? Yeahhhhhhhhh, lots and lots of encouraging niceness from mom is in her future! Dad cant do it, he's only got three nice points, himself! :D

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    It's not a glitch. It's just RNG.

When a Sim gives birth in TS2 it does not check for what genders have been born before. So there's always a 50/50 chance for a boy or a girl.

However, gender is determined at birth and not conception so if you pause the moment your game autofocuses you on the birth, save the game, and then play, if you get the gender you do not want, you can exit without saving. Keep in mind that this will change the genetics and personality as well.

One of my families had 3 boys before having their only daughter (and youngest child). Of the 120 born in game Sims in that same neighborhood: 58 were male, 62 were female, the reloading trick was not used at all.

Over short number of trials (such as the average number of kids one makes a single pair of Sims have), you can have runs that appear to defy the odds (3+ girls/boys in a row). However, the more births you have, the more it will approach the average.
  • Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    @Seera1024 , thank you for your reply! And yes, I know about pausing the game right before the birth, saving and then seeing whether you get a boy or a girl, and exiting to the neighborhood without saving, to try again if it's not what was wanted. Also, that twins are determined on conception, rather than birth. I knew I could do the exit without saving when the twins were both girls, but I decided to go with it. I was just wondering (and hoping it wasn't!) if it might be a glitch that they were all girls.

So thank you again. Wow you had a lot of births in that one neighborhood, congratulations! B)
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    First born glitch? I've never heard of this!
    @xitneverendss , the "first born glitch" is a glitch which can sometimes, though not always, occur in the game. Basically causing all subsequent children born after the first, to be clones of the first born when it comes to genetics and personality. To avoid this glitch, save the game right before the mother delivers, and go into the neighborhood screen, then into CAS; where you roll the dice for a few times (I do both male and female dice rolls a few odd times just to be on the safe side), will ensure that the glitch doesn't occur. I've heard you have to roll the dice an odd number of times, rather than even, but I don't know personally, if that's true or not.

Also, you don't have to save the CAS sim, just X'out of the create a sim, and back to the neighborhood and then back to your lot where the birth is about to happen, and voila! You should then have avoided the risk of the "First Born Glitch"! ;)
    @xitneverendss , the "first born glitch" is a glitch which can sometimes, though not always, occur in the game. Basically causing all subsequent children born after the first, to be clones of the first born when it comes to genetics and personality. To avoid this glitch, save the game right before the mother delivers, and go into the neighborhood screen, then into CAS; where you roll the dice for a few times (I do both male and female dice rolls a few odd times just to be on the safe side), will ensure that the glitch doesn't occur. I've heard you have to roll the dice an odd number of times, rather than even, but I don't know personally, if that's true or not.

Also, you don't have to save the CAS sim, just X'out of the create a sim, and back to the neighborhood and then back to your lot where the birth is about to happen, and voila! You should then have avoided the risk of the "First Born Glitch"! ;)

As long as you don't roll the die the same number of times at the start of each play session, you'll be fine.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Another thing with the firstborn glitch - it helps to play more than one family and have births in between the kids in the same family that are at risk for the firstborn effect. But it's totally controllable by saving as soon as your sim goes into labor and then going to CAS to roll the dice - I just spam the dice for a bit and then pick a random number 1-10 and click it that many more times.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    Wow okay, good to know. Is there no kind of mod out there for this? Seems like kind of nuisance to deal with something I wouldn't even remember until it actually happened lol. Does playing all families in a town rotational help with this?
    Wow okay, good to know. Is there no kind of mod out there for this? Seems like kind of nuisance to deal with something I wouldn't even remember until it actually happened lol. Does playing all families in a town rotational help with this?

Yes and no for rotational play.

The problem is the RNG aspects resets every time you restart the program. So unless the first family you played with a pregnancy that session was a set of parents having their first kid together, you'd run into the issue. The ones after them would be fine provided they are played before you close the game down for any reason.

There is no mod to correct this issue without player input.
    Bummer. Okay well I'm glad I know about this at least. Looks like TS2 isn't as shiny and perfect as it seems when you're looking back at it with rose tinted glasses lol
    Bummer. Okay well I'm glad I know about this at least. Looks like TS2 isn't as shiny and perfect as it seems when you're looking back at it with rose tinted glasses lol

None of the games are. It just boils down to the one game whose pros outweigh the cons the most. As it is with most favorites within a genre or series.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »

None of the games are. It just boils down to the one game whose pros outweigh the cons the most. As it is with most favorites within a genre or series.

I expect sims, any of the series, to be buggy at this point. As long as it isnt game breaking, I just deal with it.
    I definitely find more bugs and issues in 3 than 2, 1 I cant be bothered to install and I dont play 4 often enough to notice, but just because I have less issues with 2 isnt the reason why I like 2 the most. 2 is my favorite because I've put the most time into it, and as I was like 6-7 at the release I basically grew up playing it for hours and hours every single day. No amount of glitches, bugs, errors, quirks, etc will change how special it is.

The Batbox, a bugfixing mod, has an option to "rerandomize sim generator" which you can use if loading CAS is too slow. Wait until the sim giving birth starts to wave, save before the build and buy modes grey out, and click that option. It will force you to reload the house (which is why you should save immediately before using it,) but it works to prevent the firstborn glitch.

Always read and understand what the batbox does before using it, as it is a somewhat powerful mod, but this part should work perfectly.
    @Scribal_Goddess , thank you for that information about using the Batbox! It's on modthesims, right? I tried doing a search for it there, but came up empty handed. Would you happen to have a link to it, please?
  • MidnightmoonliteMidnightmoonlite Posts: 27 Member
    I understand the feeling lol last night I was wanting my sims to just have 2 kids. One boy and one girl but I ended up with 4 boys before I got the girl.. normally I'll save the game right before she gives birth if i want a certain gender but I just went ahead and had all the boys. So it does happen
    @Serendipity38 Here you go if you haven't found it already.
    @xitneverendss , YOU'RE awesome! Thank you so very much!
    @Serendipity38 No problem! :)
    @Scribal_Goddess , thank you for that information about using the Batbox! It's on modthesims, right? I tried doing a search for it there, but came up empty handed. Would you happen to have a link to it, please?

Batbox is at MATY (More awesome than you)

Batbox is at MATY (More awesome than you)

@xitneverendss also gave me the link to the Batbox, but thank you as well!