Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Sims 5 before 2020? I think it's safe to say!

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Actually, the latest quarter reports shows that sales of Andromeda weren't bad at all, just not exceeding expectations. And the backlash wasn't anywhere near as bad as Sim City 2013. So not a franchise killer, imo.

I'd guess that we'll get an MEA2. How well that sells and how well it is received will determine the future of the franchise.

Given that there is no real solid competition for Sims, I doubt unless something happens that causes sales to plummet or unless some actual competition shows up, there's no danger for Sims.

they fired the Bioware CEO and outright stated that there will never be a sequel to ME:A and the whole of ME is on hold. How much of a hint do you need that it greatly disappointed EA?

Coming from a person that thinks that ME:A is an actually better game than ME3 and quite liked it.

Can you post a link to where there is a direct quote from a named Bioware employee for that? I've not heard anyone on the Mass Effect fan forums say that per Bioware no sequel is ever coming, with or without a source. Because I'm honestly not going to believe it, unless I hear it from someone at Bioware. And even then there are times where they say no sequel and then come out with one. Happened to Dragon Age.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member

Actually, the latest quarter reports shows that sales of Andromeda weren't bad at all, just not exceeding expectations. And the backlash wasn't anywhere near as bad as Sim City 2013. So not a franchise killer, imo.

Wasn't it Simcity 2015? xD
    A friend is trying to get me to play it because of the fact it's MP, but I don't want it unless it's on a very good sale haha.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options

Wasn't it Simcity 2015? xD
    A friend is trying to get me to play it because of the fact it's MP, but I don't want it unless it's on a very good sale haha.

Possibly XD

I don't have it either. And mostly because I don't really play the City simulation games I already have XD
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Possibly XD

I don't have it either. And mostly because I don't really play the City simulation games I already have XD

Ah sandbox city builders. Yeah owning multiple that you like is difficult anyway. Never-ending gameplay and you can only play one at a time.
    Banished, Planetbase, Cities Skylines, Tropico. :D
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Possibly XD

Ah sandbox city builders. Yeah owning multiple that you like is difficult anyway. Never-ending gameplay and you can only play one at a time.
    Banished, Planetbase, Cities Skylines, Tropico. :D

Not to mention the previous Sim City games as well, which is what I own. I did get Cities Skylines during the Steam summer sale, though. Haven't installed or played it yet, though.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Can you post a link to where there is a direct quote from a named Bioware employee for that? I've not heard anyone on the Mass Effect fan forums say that per Bioware no sequel is ever coming, with or without a source. Because I'm honestly not going to believe it, unless I hear it from someone at Bioware. And even then there are times where they say no sequel and then come out with one. Happened to Dragon Age.

I did link you to article that not only states that ME is on ice, but that Andromeda will not receive any single player DLC. I don't know how much of a red light do you need.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    jusMeh wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I see you are still making these sort of threads then @jackjack_k !

What? Logical predictions that dissapoint you?

Nope, I find it difficult to be disappointed with things I don't care about so don't presume I do lol!! And no Jack I'm not talking about your "logical" "predictions" I'm talking about these threads where you claim something will happen because you're so accurate with your predictions right? Then get super argumentative with everyone else if they don't agree with your opinion. Happens every time :)

When have I predicted something that hasn't happened? :smirk: My track record is pretty good.

I never get argumentitive when someone doesn't agree with my opionons :joy: I only get argumentative if someone claims I'm posting false info.

And you know what happenes everytime? I post a source, and people backtrack.

You are so full of it.... :/

Literally... :/
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Ciarassims wrote: »

you know what's funny? If there's no more sims games after The Sims 4 because EA screwed up completely, technically jack would be correct. I wonder if he would like to be :D
  • Options

I did link you to article that not only states that ME is on ice, but that Andromeda will not receive any single player DLC. I don't know how much of a red light do you need.

You said no sequel. No DLC and on hold does not mean no sequel. So until I hear it directly from someone at Bioware that there will be no sequel, I'm not going to believe it's been officially declared dead. And from what I've heard in the debates on a Bioware fan forum there's been no definite answer on single player DLC either way.

First article: Nothing directly from Bioware that said no sequel, no DLC, or on hold. Just speculation due to the moving of the Bioware Montreal team.

Second article: No named sources and he's been known to have to edit his articles afterward due to wrong information. So leary of the author's credibility, so without named sources or direct quotes from EA/Bioware, going to take anything he says as his interpretation of what was said and that it might not be ending.

Third article: Referenced the second, but didn't state that they thought there would be no DLC or that there would be no sequel.

All did indicate that there was good evidence that the game was on hold. So you still haven't posted anything from a named source that states that there will be no sequel. And it appears that there's been no official word on DLC either. And since most companies won't announce if things are on hold, I will accept that the evidence does point to the game having been put on hold, if not second priority behind other projects (like work on the SP DLC when you've got a moment after working on Anthem).
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »

you know what's funny? If there's no more sims games after The Sims 4 because EA screwed up completely, technically jack would be correct. I wonder if he would like to be :D

Probably brag about how at least the sims series finished with a bang and the sims 3 wouldn't be able to do that :joy:
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    dearlaurindearlaurin Posts: 49 Member
    Not excited for consoles and kind of scared about Sims 5. Honestly lol.
  • Options
    DeathCabForCutieDeathCabForCutie Posts: 59 Member
    > @king_of_simcity7 said:
    > jackjack_k wrote: »
    >
    > @king_of_simcity7 wrote: »
    >
    > Simulator4 wrote: »
    >
    > king_of_simcity7 wrote: »
    >
    > kaywilliams wrote: »
    >
    > @king_of_simcity7
    >
    > This game is not "watered" down anything. Its an extremely well made Sims game and a fine addition to the series. It has every bit of a reason to be a part of the 20th anniversary and people who dont like that will just have to seethe, I guess.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You not been on these forums for long? :no_mouth:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What does that have to do with the poster's opinion of the game?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Most players are disappointed in TS4
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Then why did EA literally just say that it's been one of the best years for The Sims, and The Sims 4 has charted better on global PC charts than The Sims 3? Why did a Guru acknowledge that The Sims 4 is about to outsell The Sims 2 on PC? Why are EA confident that The Sims 4 on console will be able to sell WITH EPs/SPs/GPs, when they previously weren't with The Sims 3 console?
    >
    > You are not "most players" you are the minority.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I am the many, not the few :wink:

Know where have I heard that slogan before? :D
  • Options
    DeathCabForCutieDeathCabForCutie Posts: 59 Member
    > @king_of_simcity7 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Simulator4 wrote: »
    >
    > king_of_simcity7 wrote: »
    >
    > kaywilliams wrote: »
    >
    > @king_of_simcity7
    >
    > This game is not "watered" down anything. Its an extremely well made Sims game and a fine addition to the series. It has every bit of a reason to be a part of the 20th anniversary and people who dont like that will just have to seethe, I guess.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You not been on these forums for long? :no_mouth:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What does that have to do with the poster's opinion of the game?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Most players are disappointed in TS4
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Then why did EA literally just say that it's been one of the best years for The Sims, and The Sims 4 has charted better on global PC charts than The Sims 3? Why did a Guru acknowledge that The Sims 4 is about to outsell The Sims 2 on PC? Why are EA confident that The Sims 4 on console will be able to sell WITH EPs/SPs/GPs, when they previously weren't with The Sims 3 console?
    >
    > You are not "most players" you are the minority.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I am the many, not the few :wink:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In other words, you know you're wrong :wink: Otherwise you could prove what you're saying.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I am on the strong and stable side! :smiley:

And again! :D
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @DeathCabForCutie You know what I am talking about! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited August 2017
    Just because McDonald's sells a lot doesn't mean it's gourmet. TS4 looks amazing at first glance, but it's so shallow, I find myself buying packs because I want to like this game... maybe that's why it's charting higher. What we already have (Base + EP's + GP's) isn't enough for the majority of people

I'd imagine that has quite a bit to do with it: a base game that's empty and woefully incomplete (compared to its predecessors, at least) means lots of EP sales.

I don't care for TS4; I wanted to love it, really and truly. But, as I said, it's just so anemic. EA could have done much better: we know it, and they know it.

I've always said that TS4 looks and handles like a mobile game. And I'm convinced that it was supposed to be one, until someone at EA said, "nah, port the thing to PC because ALL THE MONEY!"

I loved TS2 and 3, and am still actively enjoying both. But I'll play TS4 (I own in addition to the base game, I have Get To Work, Get Together, Spa Day, and Outdoor Retreat) and get bored so quickly that I'm back to 3 within an hour or two. I never understood EA giving us such awesome tools (like CaSt) only to take them away.

I do think that, if a TS5 is going to be announced, the 20th anniversary makes sense. But I hope the dev team takes their time with this one, so they don't take another giant step backward.

If there is a TS5 in the future, I'd also love to see a more mature aesthetic. Those of us who grew up loving TS1 and 2 are now adults, and the game's style/design choices should reflect that; there has to be a way to attract new players without alienating the entire established fanbase. But I don't work for EA, so that's their job to figure out, not mine.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    ToulouseGooseToulouseGoose Posts: 75 Member
    how long do u think it will take to get to the sims 420?
  • Options
    colbyfromagecolbyfromage Posts: 268 Member
    I don't know that it'll be financially viable for them to create a Sims 5, since the gaming landscape is changing so rapidly. Money is in microtransactions, which TS4 kind of has locked down in a way with their stuff packs, but it's a lot easier and requires a lot less work to make an app that can nickel and dime a broader base of more casual users. Spending large quantities of resources in creating one excellently developed game for a single time purchase doesn't seem to be the way for the future of game development right now.
  • Options
    I don't know that it'll be financially viable for them to create a Sims 5, since the gaming landscape is changing so rapidly. Money is in microtransactions, which TS4 kind of has locked down in a way with their stuff packs, but it's a lot easier and requires a lot less work to make an app that can nickel and dime a broader base of more casual users. Spending large quantities of resources in creating one excellently developed game for a single time purchase doesn't seem to be the way for the future of game development right now.

Mobile games are actually very hard to profit from. Especially because you have to launch as F2P.
    You're right about PC titles though. I mean look at other simulation games. The only reason though why it does work for other games (Crusader Kings II, Cities Skylines, Civilization series, they all have a lot of DLC), is because the base game had a lot of thought and love put into it, so people want more. The strategy shouldn't be to sell the base game empty. The strategy should be to make a game so good that your audience will do anything to get more of it.
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member

Mobile games are actually very hard to profit from. Especially because you have to launch as F2P.
    You're right about PC titles though. I mean look at other simulation games. The only reason though why it does work for other games (Crusader Kings II, Cities Skylines, Civilization series, they all have a lot of DLC), is because the base game had a lot of thought and love put into it, so people want more. The strategy shouldn't be to sell the base game empty. The strategy should be to make a game so good that your audience will do anything to get more of it.

I agree with @mirta000 ~ if the game is good on its own, people will buy anything that gives them more of what they love. The focus shouldn't be on pushing DLC if the base game is empty; nickel-and-diming your loyal player base is insulting and, after a time, they'll stop taking the bait.

I bought every single EP and stuff pack for TS2 because I just couldn't get enough of it; for TS3, I own all the EPs and a ton of store content, but no stuff packs (as I didn't feel they were needed to enhance gameplay). But TS4 doesn't stand on its own~ I briefly considered City Living and Parenthood, but that $ would be better spent on TS3 stuff packs.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    matthewrodneymatthewrodney Posts: 150 Member
    I've just started playing the Sims 4, I held onto TS3 for as long as I could because I didn't like the things I heard about the beginning of 4. It just occurred to me (hence why I searched for this thread) that we are three years into TS4 now, and the average lifespan for an iteration of the game has been 4-5 years.

So we're definitely on the back end of the game now. And what surprises me is still how empty the game feels compared to TS3. I mean toddlers just were brought into the game 8 months ago. It concerns me that I feel like this game wasn't given what it really needed to be a complete game. Yes, I know we're still 2-3 years away from the Sims 5, but halfway through it still feels like it is lacking just so much.

Is this the future direction of the series? Have they learned from their mistakes with this game about what people really want? I dunno, I guess all of this to say that I hope they put in more effort to filling out this game before abandoning it for the next version.
    pax_link.jpg?w=680
  • Options
    ari100ari100 Posts: 74 Member
    Just think guys, in the far future, we while look back onto all the sims games, TS1, TS2, TS3, TS5, TS6. Blocking out of our memory that TS4 ever existed in the Sims franchise.
  • Options
    ari100ari100 Posts: 74 Member
    > @Dayvon64 said:
    > Honestly, I hope they take as long as possible for Sims 5. Some people are so quick to move on and seem to generally not care about the people who've spent their hard earned money on the game we have now. I want to see the Sims 4 be the best it can be and I am glad they decided to stop adding content only when it seems like there is nothing else to add. Maybe the huge wait time for Sims 5 will be worth it, only time will tell.

I am people who have spent my hard earned money on all the Sims games right from the start. The amazing TS1. I deserve a better game for all that I have spent.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    @king_of_simcity7

This game is not "watered" down anything. Its an extremely well made Sims game and a fine addition to the series. It has every bit of a reason to be a part of the 20th anniversary and people who dont like that will just have to seethe, I guess.

You not been on these forums for long? :no_mouth:

What does that have to do with the poster's opinion of the game?

Most players are disappointed in TS4

Then why did EA literally just say that it's been one of the best years for The Sims, and The Sims 4 has charted better on global PC charts than The Sims 3? Why did a Guru acknowledge that The Sims 4 is about to outsell The Sims 2 on PC? Why are EA confident that The Sims 4 on console will be able to sell WITH EPs/SPs/GPs, when they previously weren't with The Sims 3 console?

You are not "most players" you are the minority.
    You have to distinguish because I think that the facts are:
    1. Most experienced simmers are disappointed with TS4 because they compare it with the previous games and don’t like the simplifications and omissions in TS4.
    2. Most new simmers love TS4 because it is their first big Sims game and it sure isn’t more primitive than TS1 which also became very popular for the same reasons.

EA’s statements about high sales numbers for TS4 are probably true but mainly because the new very young simmers are the majority of simmers (just not in this forum though).

The console version of TS4 is made by another company who (with just a little help from Maxis) are using their own new technic to just transfer the PC game and most of its updates and expansions too to consoles. The expansions will therefore also be released much faster for the console game than they were for the PC game. But I doubt that they all will be released anyway because EA doesn’t want them to delay the PC game which still is more important to EA. Therefore I still think that TS5 will be released in the second half of 2019 and announced in the middle of 2018. After the release of TS5 the console version of TS4 most likely won’t get more expansions. But it is very likely that EA will release a console version of TS5 very shortly after the release of the PC version because EA now has this new technic which makes it easy to just release the same game for both platforms.