Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Sims 5 before 2020? I think it's safe to say!

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
So it seems EA are going to deliver The Sims 4 to consoles at the end of the year WITH DLC available (unless Perfect Patio Stuff is completely random).

In a normal Sims cycle, The Sims 5 would be announced next year before mid year so it can be discussed around E3 time (EA would use EA Play). But it makes no logical sense that they would move on to The Sims 5 if they have just solidified The Sims 4 on alternate platforms, as well as launching The Sims Mobile, will which take on future content of The Sims 4 as well.

So do you think it's safe to say, The Sims 5 isn't coming until next decade? I can almost see The Sims 5 only starting development in 2020, as part of an announcement for The Sims anniversary, and The Sims 4 continuing past the 20th anniversary.

It just seems sill to launch The Sims 4 on console, with actual Expansions etc. for them to stop within the next two years.
Especially with The Sims Mobile, since with the announcement of The Sims 5, TSM would be seen as outdated.

Thoughts?

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    It also says to me, if the Sims 4 was to end next year, they wouldn't have bothered with any version outside of PC/MAC and pulled a SimCity 2013 and called it a day.

The fact they are not only releasing to console, but for the first time also releasing DLC (they could have with The Sims 3 console but it flopped) means that they are confident that it will do well long-term.

This is purely speculation though, hence where I posted it :p But considering they ported the PC version, rather than developing a version specifically for console (which would have been easier, when it comes to control mapping) suggests to me that it will be treated like the PC game is. Full scale release.
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    It really seems like that's the case.

Makes me sad. I want the Sims 4 to have nothing to do with the 20th anniversary of The Sims.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

Makes me sad. I want the Sims 4 to have nothing to do with the 20th anniversary of The Sims.

Yeah. It's an utterly bitter experience seeing something that I once loved turn into bubbling muck.
  • JoshuaSims0JoshuaSims0 Posts: 207 Member
    Well. Sims 3 was out in 2009. Sims 4 came out in 2014. 5 Years. So it could come out before 2020. Maybe more.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't know if they announce The Sims 5 next year but I'm pretty sure TS4 won't go beyond the regular life of the series. TS3 was delayed from ending because TS4 was delayed from being finished....so, you can't go by TS3's life span to think TS4 will last just as long, seriously, four years is long enough for any of them. Remember...they said they went back to their roots with this one (which is highly debateable) but if that's true then TS4 should end after 3 1/2 years like TS1. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm going to take them at their word when they say not to look for patterns from previous games to predict the duration of this one.

I also don't think that releasing a version on tablets and on consoles necessarily competes with TS4 because those versions appeal to a different kind of play and player.

I'm enjoying TS4 and I'm not going to move on any earlier than I want to if at all from this version.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited July 2017
    We really don't know to what extent the console port has been changed. One of the biggest changes is the entire UI which has to be redone for controller input, additionally every base game creative tool has to be reworked for controller input.

That aside they will also have to make changes to the game itself to optimize performance on console, it will resemble the PC version just like Sims 3 did, but in the end it will be adapted for console and not a carbon copy, similarly to how Sims 3 pulled it off.

We also don't know to what extent they will be offering DLC. Console is not the platform to release a multitude of DLC packs, a handful maximum is all I would honestly expect to be released and within that assortments I wouldn't expect anything larger than a stuff pack. Porting Sims 4 to console taps into the last remaining market, it's not intended to become a DLC powerhouse like the PC version which outsells console considerably.

I do want to correct some inconsistencies in your post: Sims 3 on console DID have DLC, they repackaged store sets and sold them again. Stuff packs are comparable to store sets so it's not too outrageous that they are doing this again for TS4. Releasing The Sims 4 on console has nothing to do with the PC game's lifespan - realistically the console port of 4 will be replaced by a Pet's successor. The exactly same situations happened here for Sims 3, porting the game over is more of an accessibility thing not something that's going to bring in boat loads of additional cash. The majority of people who own the PC version aren't going to go out and purchase the console version, let alone all of the DLC for it. Also, if The Sims 3 on console was a flop there would have been no Sims 3 Pets on console. A failure doesn't greenlight a sequel. I think you are overthinking this release honestly, EA could abandon it after a year. We won't know anything until it's officially announced.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm going to take them at their word when they say not to look for patterns from previous games to predict the duration of this one.

I also don't think that releasing a version on tablets and on consoles necessarily competes with TS4 because those versions appeal to a different kind of play and player.

I'm enjoying TS4 and I'm not going to move on any earlier than I want to if at all from this version.

I would point out there has been more of a cross over for console games since TS2, where as most TS1 players would never touch a console or mot of TS2 players were die hard pc players, but late in TS2's history there was born a cross over breed of gamer who started prefer TS2 on console more than the pc version since they were more of rpg/console players. So, actually yes, since the end of TS2 console does compete with pc versions and why you see more and more of the crappy rpg/console stuff get implemented into the pc versions...just take a look at TS3 it reeks of rpg type concepts more so (moodlet systems, boo) than TS1 or TS2 ever did. Why did they change the forumla? Because it is easier to port over moodlet gameplay than simulation and sandbox.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Especially with The Sims Mobile, since with the announcement of The Sims 5, TSM would be seen as outdated.

Thoughts?[/center]

Well Freeplay came out in 2012 and TS4 was announced just a year later, so no I don't t agree with this. Free play is still getting updates all these years since its release, and I'm sure TSM will continue to be updated long into 5's lifespan.

I think the 20th anniversary is just such a perfect time to release (not announce, release) the fifth generation of the sims, I don't think they'll pass up on that.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    I see you are still making these sort of threads then @jackjack_k !
    giphy_1.gif
  • BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I feel there is so much left for them to do with Sims 4 before thinking about 5, but who knows :smile:
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Not to sound all negative about this but I think the sooner we all stop thinking of TS4 as a regular sims game the easier it will be in the long run. TS4 is basically its own game. Things are so different with this game compared to the past games we can't follow the same sims cycle as before. For example, 2 and 3 there was a new supernatural for almost each EP. Before vampires was released they said that the supernatural "Tradition" was not a tradition and now we know why. Because supernaturals are potentially getting their own packs now. They're asking us to get involved with creating a new stuff pack for 2018, which again is something we've never done before. Instead of multiple EPs coming out every year we're only getting one. So if they're only doing the bare minimum of EPs which was 8 (minimum because 3 had 11 EPs) then we're talking about 4 more years of EPs alone.

Now that we've got a TS4 console version and from what I've read they're planning on adding DLC in the future, now there's another reason to believe that TS4 cycle won't end for a while. According to the FAQ for the console, there will be more news about future DLC but they hope to update the game periodically meaning they're going to probably add the same kind of DLC we've received for the PC version. TS5 is far from being announced. At this rate it looks like something that's not even in the gurus rearview mirror.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member

This so selfish to me. I really like this game and I want it to last for as long as possible. The future of sims 4 should not be defined by the people who dislike it.

Thoughts?[/center]

Well Freeplay came out in 2012 and TS4 was announced just a year later, so no I don't t agree with this. Free play is still getting updates all these years since its release, and I'm sure TSM will continue to be updated long into 5's lifespan.

I think the 20th anniversary is just such a perfect time to release (not announce, release) the fifth generation of the sims, I don't think they'll pass up on that.

Free play was it's own game, The Sims Mobile ports gameplay from PC :)

What? Logical predictions that dissapoint you?
    We really don't know to what extent the console port has been changed. One of the biggest changes is the entire UI which has to be redone for controller input, additionally every base game creative tool has to be reworked for controller input.

That aside they will also have to make changes to the game itself to optimize performance on console, it will resemble the PC version just like Sims 3 did, but in the end it will be adapted for console and not a carbon copy, similarly to how Sims 3 pulled it off.

We also don't know to what extent they will be offering DLC. Console is not the platform to release a multitude of DLC packs, a handful maximum is all I would honestly expect to be released and within that assortments I wouldn't expect anything larger than a stuff pack. Porting Sims 4 to console taps into the last remaining market, it's not intended to become a DLC powerhouse like the PC version which outsells console considerably.

I do want to correct some inconsistencies in your post: Sims 3 on console DID have DLC, they repackaged store sets and sold them again. Stuff packs are comparable to store sets so it's not too outrageous that they are doing this again for TS4. Releasing The Sims 4 on console has nothing to do with the PC game's lifespan - realistically the console port of 4 will be replaced by a Pet's successor. The exactly same situations happened here for Sims 3, porting the game over is more of an accessibility thing not something that's going to bring in boat loads of additional cash. The majority of people who own the PC version aren't going to go out and purchase the console version, let alone all of the DLC for it. Also, if The Sims 3 on console was a flop there would have been no Sims 3 Pets on console. A failure doesn't greenlight a sequel. I think you are overthinking this release honestly, EA could abandon it after a year. We won't know anything until it's officially announced.

None of the DLC had gameplay though.

And it's already been confirmed by SimGuruDrake the console edition will get the PC DLC library in WulfSimmers thread, and that they plan on continuing updates to the game post release.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I would point out there has been more of a cross over for console games since TS2, where as most TS1 players would never touch a console or mot of TS2 players were die hard pc players, but late in TS2's history there was born a cross over breed of gamer who started prefer TS2 on console more than the pc version since they were more of rpg/console players. So, actually yes, since the end of TS2 console does compete with pc versions and why you see more and more of the plum rpg/console stuff get implemented into the pc versions...just take a look at TS3 it reeks of rpg type concepts more so (moodlet systems, boo) than TS1 or TS2 ever did. Why did they change the forumla? Because it is easier to port over moodlet gameplay than simulation and sandbox.

Not going to disagree with you with regard to the influence of console gaming on gaming style within the PC version, I'm sure there is some crossover influence in that respect. That crossover might also be defined as broadly cultural as well. By that, I mean that gaming trends as whole change over time with new influences to some extent.

I have to say that I can't remember TS1 and TS2 well enough to analyze the differences in gameplay beyond the obvious features that were different. I think I played those games simultaneously for a while. I remember the introduction of genetics and aging in TS2, of course, and events like trying to get kids into private school or into a sorority on a timer. I don't remember it with particular depth though. The influence of console gaming on TS3 is something that I will confess that I have not noticed. Part of that may be because I've never played console games with any significance.

When I said that PC TS4 doesn't need to compete with the console version but rather that they can be complementary, I was referring to the idea that they tend to appeal to different gamers. There's probably a relatively small percentage of gamers who play both the console and the PC, though maybe there are some who do so situationally. I don't see making a different option to appeal to a slightly different audience of gamers as an inherent problem. I don't think it needs to be a case of PC vs. console at all. It's just an expansion of ways that people can play.

As for the influence of "RPG elements", I don't think adding in console is a decisive factor in the debate on ways to play. The challenge for them is to try to appeal to many different play styles and interests. The debate over wanting more or less structure in the game is one that already exists with or without the console players.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited July 2017

Nope, I find it difficult to be disappointed with things I don't care about so don't presume I do lol!! And no Jack I'm not talking about your "logical" "predictions" I'm talking about these threads where you claim something will happen because you're so accurate with your predictions right? Then get super argumentative with everyone else if they don't agree with your opinion. Happens every time :)
    giphy_1.gif

Nope, I find it difficult to be disappointed with things I don't care about so don't presume I do lol!! And no Jack I'm not talking about your "logical" "predictions" I'm talking about these threads where you claim something will happen because you're so accurate with your predictions right? Then get super argumentative with everyone else if they don't agree with your opinion. Happens every time :)

When have I predicted something that hasn't happened? :smirk: My track record is pretty good.

I never get argumentitive when someone doesn't agree with my opionons :joy: I only get argumentative if someone claims I'm posting false info.

And you know what happenes everytime? I post a source, and people backtrack.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    If outrage from the start of Sims 4 is anything to go by, I hope the devs actually take their time in developing Sims 5 to be up to scratch as a base game.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • ZoaeaZoaea Posts: 79 Member
    It seems like ea spends time in development of the packs and announces them right before release. So if they are planning a sims 5 I am sure it is in production already (even if just a smaller team) as big games take a few years to develop. With more spread out releases of dlc I feel like we have at least 2 years left of sims 4, if not more.

When is the anniversary anyway.
  • Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    Honestly, I hope they take as long as possible for Sims 5. Some people are so quick to move on and seem to generally not care about the people who've spent their hard earned money on the game we have now. I want to see the Sims 4 be the best it can be and I am glad they decided to stop adding content only when it seems like there is nothing else to add. Maybe the huge wait time for Sims 5 will be worth it, only time will tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    So it seems EA are going to deliver The Sims 4 to consoles at the end of the year WITH DLC available (unless Perfect Patio Stuff is completely random).

In a normal Sims cycle, The Sims 5 would be announced next year before mid year so it can be discussed around E3 time (EA would use EA Play). But it makes no logical sense that they would move on to The Sims 5 if they have just solidified The Sims 4 on alternate platforms, as well as launching The Sims Mobile, will which take on future content of The Sims 4 as well.

So do you think it's safe to say, The Sims 5 isn't coming until next decade? I can almost see The Sims 5 only starting development in 2020, as part of an announcement for The Sims anniversary, and The Sims 4 continuing past the 20th anniversary.

It just seems sill to launch The Sims 4 on console, with actual Expansions etc. for them to stop within the next two years.

Thoughts?

I'd say maybe 2021.