Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dealing with Corrupted CC

Over the past month or so, I've downloaded a considerable amount of content from the Exchange. I'd download fairly large amounts of Sims and lots at a time, then load up the game and use some of it, though I usually didn't use or check all of it right after downloading it- in other words, I really can't tell when each issue started cropping up. The problem here is that over the past week, I've realized that somewhere along the line, I must have downloaded several unwanted pieces of CC.

They're corrupted in different ways- there's a pair of shoes that show up in every outfit, even sleepwear; a sweater that can be worn by male Sims, but somehow changes their body to that of a female Sim; and a particularly inappropriate item that I never (intentionally) downloaded and have no desire to keep at all, not to mention that it causes the 'demon baby' glitch on younger Sims. I'm not sure if I unwittingly downloaded lots with households attached, or if all of the corrupted content came with Sims, but it's really, REALLY annoying.

My problem is this. The easiest way to detect the corrupted content is to go into CAS and just look for it- but I'm really not into the idea of uninstalling and reinstalling Sims and lots and then booting up the game countless times- especially since the game generally takes a century or two to load. Does anyone know of a better way to figure out where the items came from and remove them?

TL;DR- I somehow managed to download a ton of bad CC along with Sims and lots, but I can't remember when each issue cropped up. What's the best way to deal with it?

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited July 2017
    Assuming you still have the sim3packs you downloaded from the Exchange you can scan each one with CUSTARD to see which one(s) have the offending CC. If you find out which ones are problematic, you'll next have to figure out which sim or lot to uninstall, which you might be able to tell from the name of the file or what you see in CUSTARD.

If you end up having to install/reinstall to find the CC, you might consider installing a world like (Bigger) Builder's Island. It's a small world and has nothing on it. It should save you significant load time to check CC in CAS or build/buy mode. If you do install/reinstall the 50% method might be helpful.
  • JJFABBYJJFABBY Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2017
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Assuming you still have the sim3packs you downloaded from the Exchange you can scan each one with CUSTARD to see which one(s) have the offending CC. If you find out which ones are problematic, you'll next have to figure out which sim or lot to uninstall, which you might be able to tell from the name of the file or what you see in CUSTARD.

If you end up having to install/reinstall to find the CC, you might consider installing a world like (Bigger) Builder's Island. It's a small world and has nothing on it. It should save you significant load time to check CC in CAS or build/buy mode. If you do install/reinstall the 50% method might be helpful.

Thanks a lot! I managed to find and remove two of the annoying items with CUSTARD, and I also found another problematic item that I didn't even realize I had. I'm going to go through again later and see if I can't pin down where that last annoying item is.
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    I recently found a family on the Exchange that has bad CC attached to it and the problem is even though I removed the Household it came from the bad CC is still in my game and I can't seem to get rid of it. It's not on Crinrict's Sims 3 bad CC list. It's no longer in my list of Downloads and the Household is not listed when I search for them either. How do I get rid of the bad CC without having to spend 2 days re-installing my game? When I try to run the Household through the CC Cleaner it crashes my cleaner. :( I've tried everything thing I can think of to remove it. So any help would be wonderful.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    I recently found a family on the Exchange that has bad CC attached to it and the problem is even though I removed the Household it came from the bad CC is still in my game and I can't seem to get rid of it. It's not on Crinrict's Sims 3 bad CC list. It's no longer in my list of Downloads and the Household is not listed when I search for them either. How do I get rid of the bad CC without having to spend 2 days re-installing my game? When I try to run the Household through the CC Cleaner it crashes my cleaner. :( I've tried everything thing I can think of to remove it. So any help would be wonderful.
    Strange as it may seem, uninstalling and reinstalling your game will have no impact. CC, bad or otherwise, lives in your TS3 user game folder in Documents. It has nothing to do with your program install, usually an uninstall and reinstall leaves the user game folder in Documents behind (usable or not might be another story). The installation procedure only involves game elements in the player's Program or Program (x86) Files (or Applications as the location is called on a Mac).

First way would be Method by Mell, look for it towards the end of the following page. The assumption here is that the CC is lurking somewhere in your DCCache Folder's dbc files, which is where sims3pack type content gets installed into once the Launcher is finished with it. But this will only work if you also get rid of whatever it was you downloaded that was carrying the bad content, in other words the household apparently, or else it will just keep showing up again.
    http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

Second way is to pull out and get rid of all of your dbc content and start building it up again, hopefully without the offending item/household.

Third way is to pull out your entire TS3 user game folder from Documents and build up a new one from scratch.

But the underlying issue here, that the household itself as downloaded came with Bad CC, still has to be resolved unless it is your intent to just not put it back in your game at all (sorry if I wasn't understanding this part). If you clean everything up no matter how you do it and put the household and saved game as they were back in your game folder again, the Bad CC will return. But the cleanup, whichever way you do it, should work if the now removed household was the source of the Bad CC.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    @igazor you are so awesome. It worked, thank you so much! I took out the only dcdb0.dbc file I had and it got rid of the bad CC. Thank you so much! You are awesome :smiley:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Oh, if that was your only dbc file (there was no dcdb1.dbc or higher) then yes, that would have been the equivalent of the Second Way above. Hopefully it is not too painful for you to restore any other sims3pack CC you had installed in that one bundle that may have been important to you, if indeed you had any.

Glad to have been of assistance. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net