Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Very Poor Performance on 1050 Ti

cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
So I am getting terrible performance on my new laptop, I did all the steps to get the game to NOT run off the Intel and use the Nvidia instead and all that jazz, I even went through getting the card in the games GPU database. The performance is absolutely terrible and I can't seem to find any way possible to fix it.

The problem seems to lie in moving the camera for the most part, the framerate jumpiness when moving the camera is absolutely insane. Not to mention the fact that the game ignores the control panel Vsync settings and I locked it with RivaTuner but thats the least of my concerns at the moment. So the problem is most noticeable when moving the camera, which is a bit of a big deal because in sims you tend to move the camera a lot and it manifests itself in full brief lock-ups in the tiniest camera movements. Even when I'm not moving the camera I think it is still happening because sometimes the Sims animations will skip when they are walking but it is not as noticeable because things aren't happening as fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNOp-GRcXUc
Here is a video to show just what happens. The framerate is nowhere near where it should be either. There is tons of videos of Sims 3 on Youtube and people running it silky smooth just fine, so there has to be something I am missing here but I can't figure out what.

Full list of mods:

NRaas DebugEnabler
NRaas MasterController
NRaas MasterControllerCheats
NRaas Overwatch
NRaas StoryProgression
NRaas Traveler.

Specs are in my signature but I will repost if anyone has signatures off:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700HQ
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage: 128gb SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD (sims 3 on HDD)

EDIT: I just noticed this in the DeviceConfig file:
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Name (database): GeForce GTX 1050 Ti [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1c8c, Board: 15901043, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 21.21.13.7705, GUID: D7B71E3E-5FCC-11CF-EA6D-9D351BC2D835
Driver version: 7705
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

I don't know why the texture memory is being shown as 32MB, the last time I checked this GPU had a bit more than 32MB of VRAM ;) I don't know if that might be the problem? Or if I did something wrong in putting in the graphics card in the database and if so how could I fix it?
PC Specs:
Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
16GB DDR4 RAM
128GB SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
6685561181.png
Rogers Ignite 70u internet

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hi there, Cale. What I'm seeing in that video is camera stutter, a bit more severe than most. That's very common on the newest upper end cards, unfortunately. I know this isn't the solution you are looking for at all, but I would suggest not moving the game camera around so quickly and so often. I bet the others here can make further suggestions with respect to your card's performance within the game by way of Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner, but there may not be a total fixall solution.

And I would take another look at that fps locking. Perhaps you need to experiment with locking in at creative frame rates like 59 or 61 if (I am assuming) 60 is still producing such goofy behavior.

And you will want to confirm that you haven't fallen "vicitm" to Win 10's new Creator Update, it does nothing but make a mess of TS3.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15902876/#Comment_15902876

On the texture memory override, yes that tends to happen with a lot of originally unrecognized cards. On the GraphicsRules sgr file, look for the following two lines:
    seti textureMemory 32
    setb textureMemorySizeOK false

And change them to:
    seti textureMemory 1024
    # setb textureMemorySizeOK false
    (change the 32 to 1024 and add the hashtag to the second line)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited July 2017
    Changing texture memory to 1024mb seemed to have help with the camera stuttering problem a good amount. I will try messing with the frame lock to see what else I can do, it still does it sometimes when moving the camera but not as severe now, if I can't find a perm fix I may just try to learn to live with it, I don't normally move the camera like that, I just did that do demonstrate what was going on, although I did go a bit overboard on it.

For some reason I can't get the Game Bar to come up either in Sims 3 when pressing the hotkey.

Another interesting thing is that increasing the texture memory literally halved my load times which were quite fast in the first place.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sometimes I think they should rename that file from GraphicsRules to AbandonAllHopeYeWhoEnterHere.sgr, but glad to hear that you got some relief from that step. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net