Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which laptop would be better?

I'm currently looking at the new HP Omen ranges, I've always had a HP for the Sims and I want to try their gaming laptop. I mainly use my laptop for general browsing and TS4 with most EPs. They're very similarly priced with very similar specs:

Option 1:
Windows 10 Home 64
i7-7700HQ Quad-core processor
(17.3") anti-glare
8GB RAM with 256GB PCIe® SSD and 1TB storage
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Option 2:
Windows 10 Home 64
i7-7700HQ Quad-core Processor
(15.6") full hd
16GB RAM with 256GB PCIe® SSD and 1TB storage

As you can see the only difference is the screen size/RAM. I personally usually prefer a bigger screen, but if I wanted the same RAM I'd have to pay more than I wanted. My question is, am I being stupid prioritising screen size over RAM? (Although I have seen some players swear by an anti-glare screen). Or, would the increase in RAM size make a noticeable difference to gameplay that it really matters? (Again, some swear by 8gb being fine).

Help would be greatly appreciated!

xgu3gOi.gif
"It's just called a phone."
"What an impractical name."

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited July 2017
    Harolly wrote: »
    I'm currently looking at the new HP Omen ranges, I've always had a HP for the Sims and I want to try their gaming laptop. I mainly use my laptop for general browsing and TS4 with most EPs. They're very similarly priced with very similar specs:

Option 1:
    Windows 10 Home 64
    (17.3") anti-glare

Option 2:
    Windows 10 Home 64
    (15.6") full hd

As you can see the only difference is the screen size/RAM. I personally usually prefer a bigger screen, but if I wanted the same RAM I'd have to pay more than I wanted. My question is, am I being plum prioritising screen size over RAM? (Although I have seen some players swear by an anti-glare screen). Or, would the increase in RAM size make a noticeable difference to gameplay that it really matters? (Again, some swear by 8gb being fine).

You are probably better off not getting HP, I know they are gaming laptops however HP is not known for gaming where as Asus Rog and MSI are. also other's like fangbook (Clevo) and even Acer predator/Nitro can make a better choice.
    What's you're budget and where are you located? We can go through you're options. Not dismissing the HP but you can do better and maybe even for cheaper.
    Also the Anti glare screens are never going to be completely glare free.. especially if used outside.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    HarollyHarolly Posts: 75 Member
    edited July 2017
    @chesterbigbird thanks for the reply/help! I live in the U.K, and my budget is about £1000, I don't mind going a little over that as the HP was £1100. Also based on location, I wouldn't be using my laptop outside :D

I've been looking and this is the only one I've found at the same sort of price range:
    MSI Apache Pro GE62VR 15.6" Gaming Laptop
    Windows 10
    Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ processor
    RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/msi-apache-pro-ge62vr-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-10158038-pdt.html

Would this be better?

Post edited by Harolly on
    xgu3gOi.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2017
    @chesterbigbird thanks for the reply/help! I live in the U.K, and my budget is about £1000, I don't mind going a little over that as the HP was £1100. Also based on location, I wouldn't be using my laptop outside :D

I've been looking and this is the only one I've found at the same sort of price range:
    MSI Apache Pro GE62VR 15.6" Gaming Laptop
    Windows 10
    Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ processor
    RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/msi-apache-pro-ge62vr-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-10158038-pdt.html

Would this be better?

This one has some pluses that the HP does not possess, more memory, better video card and while the SSD is smaller it is not a major setback just remember these days 128 GB is not a lot of space and I would leave the OS on the SSD and no other programs if all can be helped. MSI and ASUS ROG(which I have) is pretty good and you can also shop customized laptops on CyperpowerPC and IbuyPower to see if you can catch an deal. I also use MSI and ASUS parts in my desktop systems. Now some laptops SSDs can be upgraded and MSI if I am not mistaken can be and that is an option you can look at down the road. :) I also agree with Chester.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    @Goldmoldar the only negatives I've found with the MSI is that it apparently has more tendency to overheat, and I looked at the ASUS laptops, but they are a little out of my price range! If I was a bit more tech savvy I would look at custom laptops :D
    xgu3gOi.gif
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited July 2017
    @Goldmoldar the only negatives I've found with the MSI is that it apparently has more tendency to overheat, and I looked at the ASUS laptops, but they are a little out of my price range! If I was a bit more tech savvy I would look at custom laptops :D

You can always gets phoebebebe13's help if you want a custom laptop. She and chester helped me configure my custom laptop.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    @DeKay I had a brief look but I think I'd rather stick with a brand, much easier to locally source! Especially if anything goes wrong
    xgu3gOi.gif
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    @DeKay I had a brief look but I think I'd rather stick with a brand, much easier to locally source! Especially if anything goes wrong

I see.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited July 2017

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/1206552. This is custom , Has same specs as the HP only has better hardware. All you would need to do is put it in your cart and buy it.

Several of us in here own cyberpower custom computers. They are a legit company and yes the laptop is under warranty. They will fix it if you have any issues
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Thankyou very much! I was just a bit sceptical because I've never bought a custom laptop before so thought buying a premade brand would've been easier. Didn't realise it would be so easy, plus that laptop looks awesome too haha.

Another question if you don't mind, is the GTX1050 Ti good for gameplay? Or would it make much difference if I got the 1060, I'm unsure what the difference is? Everything else looks perfect for me spec wise though thanks!
    xgu3gOi.gif
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    The 1060 will help your laptop being more viable for either newer game or games thad requires more graphic memory(VRAM).

Id go with the 1060, the 1050ti is just not worth it anymore.

In my opinion.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @Harolly your very welcome. The 1050 ti is good enough to run this whole game. The 1060 is just slightly better than the 1050 ti but more costly.

The game requires a GTX 650 on desktop or better. You can see the 1050 ti (laptop) is a better card than the 650 on desktop. You will be fine with the 1050 ti http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-650-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2017

Option 1:
    Windows 10 Home 64
    (17.3") anti-glare

Option 2:
    Windows 10 Home 64
    (15.6") full hd

As you can see the only difference is the screen size/RAM. I personally usually prefer a bigger screen, but if I wanted the same RAM I'd have to pay more than I wanted. My question is, am I being plum prioritising screen size over RAM? (Although I have seen some players swear by an anti-glare screen). Or, would the increase in RAM size make a noticeable difference to gameplay that it really matters? (Again, some swear by 8gb being fine).

I would have to say go with option two because the first one is what they have been offering years now, so it's not new at all. Twice the Ram, no contest.

But if you go with option two, that 16GB RAM with 256GB PCIe® SSD and 1TB storage
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated) It's going to last you a lot of years, and it will handle whatever you throw at it.
    Also, that large screen one is hard to take with you. and hard to find a carry on for it and they are heavy... An HP is putting out the best computers.

Now also it depends on your lifestyle. do you just want to play at home, then you may want to look into a desktop. with the number 2 specs.
    and they are coming wireless. so that will not be a problem.

even if I am using an LT I use a wireless mouse for games.

then it's the battery, if you do not plan to keep it in the plug, you may not want to stay put.

Final, sometimes once you go 17 and larger screens you do not want to go back. so just look longer for everything you want.
    I did not read the other suggestions, so mine just may be a repeat lol

One more thing. remember a desk top will always be stronger even with same specs. With that on a desk top. you can play sims,4 and be in an online community, at the same time, and it will not be a problem... Just please do not get a cheap net. it's not worth it. But I am sure you never have :)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    lwebb245lwebb245 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi I was wanting to buy a new computer to better run the Sims 4 and I was wondering if the Inspiron 15 5000 Series Non-Touch is a good choice. Here are the specs:
    Processor
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    Memory
    8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
    Hard Drive
    1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon™ R7 M445 Graphics 4GB GDDR5
    Display
    15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED-Backlit Display, Non-touch
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    lwebb245 wrote: »
    Hi I was wanting to buy a new computer to better run the Sims 4 and I was wondering if the Inspiron 15 5000 Series Non-Touch is a good choice. Here are the specs:
    Processor
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    Memory
    8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
    Hard Drive
    1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon™ R7 M445 Graphics 4GB GDDR5
    Display
    15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED-Backlit Display, Non-touch

No i wouldn't recommend that,
    Ideally you need either a i5 quad core (not dual core.) Or i7 Quad core for a laptop.
    Either one of these for a cpu
    i5-6440HQ
    i5-7300HQ
    i7 6700HQ
    i7 7700HQ
    Ofcourse i would recomend the i7 over the i5
    And for graphics card
    GTX 1050 or higher (960 1050ti 1060 1070.)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    lwebb245lwebb245 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > lwebb245 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi I was wanting to buy a new computer to better run the Sims 4 and I was wondering if the Inspiron 15 5000 Series Non-Touch is a good choice. Here are the specs:
    > Processor
    > 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
    > Operating System
    > Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    > Memory
    > 8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
    > Hard Drive
    > 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    > Video Card
    > AMD Radeon™ R7 M445 Graphics 4GB GDDR5
    > Display
    > 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED-Backlit Display, Non-touch
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No i wouldn't recommend that,
    > Ideally you need either a i5 quad core (not dual core.) Or i7 Quad core for a laptop.
    > Either one of these for a cpu
    > i5-6440HQ
    > i5-7300HQ
    > i7 6700HQ
    > i7 7700HQ
    > Ofcourse i would recomend the i7 over the i5
    > And for graphics card
    > GTX 1050 or higher (960 1050ti 1060 1070.)

Thanks for your reply chester!!

Do you if there is a laptop around $600 that would run the Sims 4 smoothly preferably with high graphics?
  • Options
    lwebb245 wrote: »
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > lwebb245 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi I was wanting to buy a new computer to better run the Sims 4 and I was wondering if the Inspiron 15 5000 Series Non-Touch is a good choice. Here are the specs:
    > Processor
    > 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
    > Operating System
    > Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    > Memory
    > 8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
    > Hard Drive
    > 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    > Video Card
    > AMD Radeon™ R7 M445 Graphics 4GB GDDR5
    > Display
    > 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED-Backlit Display, Non-touch
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No i wouldn't recommend that,
    > Ideally you need either a i5 quad core (not dual core.) Or i7 Quad core for a laptop.
    > Either one of these for a cpu
    > i5-6440HQ
    > i5-7300HQ
    > i7 6700HQ
    > i7 7700HQ
    > Ofcourse i would recomend the i7 over the i5
    > And for graphics card
    > GTX 1050 or higher (960 1050ti 1060 1070.)

Thanks for your reply chester!!

Do you if there is a laptop around $600 that would run the Sims 4 smoothly preferably with high graphics?

Not around $600. This would most likely be around the cheapest
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154497
    And again this is with the i5 and not i7 (although this newer i5 should be able to handle the game ok)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide