Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you really need custom content?

2...Next

Comments

• OGmandyVOGmandyV Posts: 56 Member
    Just this week I finally downloaded some CC and Mods. It's been really fun seeing what people have created. I mostly like the CC. The mods are nice, but I'm not 100% sure of what they're all capable of.

I did find some CC that was Harry Potter themed and included Harry Potter traits!
    http://brittpinkiesims.tumblr.com/post/147893668100/the-sims-4-harry-potter-mod-pack-part-2-of-3

I think I just like CC because I like playing dress up and decorating the house. It can get addicting for sure!
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited August 2017
    Technically, I don't NEED to buy expansion packs, game packs or stuff packs, but I buy them because they enhance my game experience. Same goes for installing custom content, and selected Mods (though I keep my number of mods down to reduce potential conflicts and reduce how much I have to test/troubleshoot for each new patch since those usually break them). Quality custom content is like adding new stuff from a stuff pack. It doesn't add game features, unlike mods and official packs. Plus it costs a LOT less than buying stuff packs (or store content when I bought Sims 3 store stuff - eventually I bought out most of the store over time).

Also, the OP's article tries to equate mods with custom content -- this is incorrect. Mods change the gameplay/functionality of your game in some way. MCCC is a good example of a script mod. There are also object mods, such as the canning station from MTS, and overrides, that change default behavior/color choices of existing content working as a replacement. Custom content by contrast, is recoloring/remeshing existing objects/CAS content.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    No, you definitely don't. Sims 4 honestly has some of the best looking sims out of the series, but I find myself using CC more in Sims 4 than I ever did on previous versions of the game because a lot of the Maxis match CC looks pretty good. Most CC (not all) looks very out of place in Sims 3 imo. CC for Sims 3 tends to have super glossy, hyper realistic alpha-type textures, which I'm personally not fan of. So for Sims 3 I tend to just stick to vanilla Maxis/EA made content aside from a default skin and eye replacement.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    depends. if i'm making someone based on a real person and nothing "official" match with what i'm wanting to do, that way i need CC for that particular sims/household to look right.
    Before the toddler pack came, i needed toddler's cc because i refuse that my big families have a bunch of toddlers looking identical.
    4 hairstyles, seriously ?

other times i don't need it, but i use it because it's pleasant to have a sims being unique.
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• matthewrodneymatthewrodney Posts: 150 Member
    I haven't ventured into CC with TS4 yet, but in previous games it helped the game feel more real to find things that exist in the real world but have no Sims equivalent.
    pax_link.jpg?w=680
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Yes I do, I always have since there are no hair styles that really match my own but one and I like having other options to choose from.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    definitely not a necessity in fact I went through the process of de-ccing my sims recently as I found that they were too overloaded with custom content. I ended up deleting about 5 gbs of unecessary cc from my game. Now I can download sims without mods and they look the same on any computer. Before they would just look bald and naked and scary.
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Yes, especially CC for male sims (I think male sims are very lacking in CAS items compared to female sims), laundry (I know we're getting a laundry SP but for now I have to use CC to make my houses more realistic), and separate shower heads (I don't like the default showers that have the shower head, back walls, floor, and stall as the same object, I like to create my own shower stalls as I usually like them to be bigger such as like this).
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited September 2017
    Of course you don't 'really' need it to play the game. It's not something that is forced. It's a choice. It's what's so great about The Sims. You can mod your game, or you can leave it vanilla. Which there are other games out there that are like this as well.

However, I enjoy Custom Content and enjoy the variety of options it gives me. It allows me to create more unique Sims and that in turn allows more distinctive households. I also enjoy mods like MC Command; it allows me to have more than 8 Sims in the household.. allows me to see Sims that are pregnant and how many babies she'll have.. though a lot of the time I don't look at this. But it's nice to know it's there.. just in case one day I do get tempted to see. But I feel it'll ruin it for me if I see the gender of the baby and if it's twins or triplets. I'd rather be surprised when she has the first baby and sets them in the bassinet and then another baby is announced. ♥

It allows me to decorate my houses with different furniture because (don't get me wrong, CAS and the build/buy are great) The Sims 4 hands down has some verry cute stuff. I just like having more choices.

I do have to admit though.. a World Creator, or for the Content Creators to figure out how to create new maps and add new lots, would be fantastic because I love play families and ... sometimes.. the worlds we have can be overcrowded. While Brindleton Bay looks amazing, waiting a year for a world... really... stinks. :(
  • maicemaice Posts: 167 Member
    I have a few cc items. About 4 hairstyles, and about 4 beards. I downloaded them only because I had downloaded a sim who used them and I wanted to keep his look. Unfortunately I had a hard time matching the right hair and beard, so I ended up with about 4 of each until I landed on the right ones.

Admittedly... they do make my sims look better. But I was perfectly fine before I had them, and I don't plan to download any more. I like CC just fine, but I think it's something I could get super carried away with and I feel like I'd spend more time collecting CC than actually playing.
  • SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    I do. The Sims 4 is the most boring generation I've played, and having custom content and mods makes it more exciting.
    One of my favorite custom packs is the Harry Potter one. The person who created it did such an amazing job!
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Yes i do, i totally hate my game with only EA content. Once i have CC in it, i get more happy and can fulfil my desires for homes. I dont necessary need clothes and looks for sims though, I am sort of ok with EA clothes, just the hair sometimes look a bit strange, so i download a thing or 2 out of that category.
  • fharlzfharlz Posts: 9 New Member
    Yes. I didn't have it when I switched laptop, but I literally couldn't do it. I have over 20gb, all alpha, and I honestly just couldn't play without it. I love the fact that the sims is a game that anyone can play, even if it means wanting to change it.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited October 2017
    Personally, I don't use mods, except the MCCC or whatever it's called.
    Edit: I do use a body hairs mod, since that one isn't included in the vanilla game or any expansion for that matter.