Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adoption

:)I was wondering, how often do you have your sims adopt a child? Under what circum stances do you choose adoption over just using Try for Baby?

I hardly ever adopt, I like seeing my sims genes being passed down. I often forget the adoption option is even there but once I remember, i will usually adopt just to mix things up a bit.

OH! Also, what age do you normally adopt? Baby? Toddler? Child?

Comments

• duck74duck74 Posts: 686 Member
    edited August 2009
    Depends if i want to make it hard or not

if there isn't gunna be a baby i will adopt a child or toddler rarely a baby
  • TEEKZARTEEKZAR Posts: 37 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i once adopted because one of my sims wanted another child and was only a few days away from being an elder,
    i thought it'd be easier to adopt than put her through her fifth pregnancy :)
  • seagreen9seagreen9 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i normally adopt a kid or tot because they are so cute
  • aarinaarin Posts: 7,260 New Member
    edited August 2009
    My sims use to adopt pretty often, but all the kids I was getting were genetically fat or super tan which irked me so I stopped and only decided to have genetic children. :(
  • SimGalSimGal Posts: 234 New Member
    edited August 2009
    :shock: I know how you feel, aarin. Seriously, almost all adopted kids are usually fat or tan. :roll: I don't know how to get kids skinny, so i usually just made them the maid or something. :? Although i do adopt alot. Seriosly, one was at the top of the fat meter. That also annoyed me cause her mom was the same. :x
  • KittyTopiaKittyTopia Posts: 322 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Really?

:?

My adopted kids are all white.

I had one fatty tho....
  • KajamzKajamz Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Idk all of my city's children turn out fat from normal parentage...
  • firestar77_2firestar77_2 Posts: 10,144 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I've only adopted once.
  • MsConceit5MsConceit5 Posts: 132 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i haven't actually adopted yet on the sims 3 i did very few times on the sims 2
  • luckynicole659luckynicole659 Posts: 7,707 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, my adopted kids usually come out fat or just plain ugly. I don't like using adoption, but I wish there was a cheat to speed up the pregnancy just like in ts2...
  • VexingQueryVexingQuery Posts: 2,180 Member
    edited August 2009
    I can't say I've ever officially adopted a sim-kid. Makin' em the old-fashioned way is just too much fun, and I like to see what genetics does to the offspring. I think I'd only adopt if I had a male-male partnering and it was their only way to have kids.

That said, I did once make friendly with Opal Suarley, the child-ghost in the Sunset Valley graveyard. I picked up her grave, restored her, and raised her as my own. She was a good kid, and ended up BFF with my sim's son. If I could have officially adopted her, I would have. Does that count?
  • KittyTopiaKittyTopia Posts: 322 New Member
    edited August 2009
    [img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/087/464/001/00/screenshot_original.jpg"height=550 with=650"[/img]

Prettest adpoted sim Jasmine

Aged to YA in the pic with her son.
  • rumoredxpirate7rumoredxpirate7 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i didn't even know there was an adoption option....
  • ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited August 2009
    All 3 of the adopted sims in my game were chubby red haired boys :D
  • rrus24rrus24 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2009
    The only reason i had an adoption was because my couple was the same sex. One parent wanted kids the other didn't. The one who didn't was only using the other parent to get a raise. A day after the adoption she moved out, married the next door neighbor, and had 6 kids. She was nice, wasn't she?
  • crazybadazycrazybadazy Posts: 1,144 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I find this thread really amusing, it makes me want to adopt sims. I haven't adopted yet I like making my sims have their own kids. I think I might try the adoption because I have a loner sim who doesn't seem to be able to find a husband.
  • hlouisehlouise Posts: 409 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i have had my sims adopt 3 girl children. One was not fat but very tan, the next was super white and very fat, and the last one was black and fat. But for some reason my adopted kids were always more fun than the try for baby ones
  • pinklilyrose7pinklilyrose7 Posts: 44 New Member
    edited August 2009
    My young adult sim married an elder woman(dont ask me why, he probably has gone mad or something)... She had her days counted and obviously as an elder, she couldnt have children. So they adopted a little a toddler. He already had two daughters from a previous marriage so they opted for a boy. It was the cutest toddler ever, and they wondered why would someone give him up for adoption. Anyway, that's the recent couple i had that adopted.
    I also had a gay couple once, two males, one of them a rockstar and the other a business developer (meaning: buying local businesses for profit). They adopted a female child, who ended up kind of lucky because they were rich and made her an heiress to everything!
    The other times when i adopted was with regular couples who just wanted to give someone a home. Either way, i prefer for them to have biological children so there are no surprises or disappointents. So far only two of the adopted children ended up playing a major role in my game. I dont play legacies.
  • cupcakecupcake Posts: 5,097 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I only have adopted once, she turned out pretty. But she had to be on the treadmill every day otherwise she would blow up pretty quickly.
  • eiphos1212eiphos1212 Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited August 2009
    I have been playing sims 1, 2 and three since they came out and I've NEVER adopted a sim before. The thought has never occured to me while I've been playing and I'm such a perfectionst who loves to make perfect families that I don't know if I could handle that kind of uncontroled risk... lol. I always control all the traits so madly. I've never had a trait picked for me either. I should really broarden my playing style though. Good topic because now I think I'm going to go play and addopt a child. :D
  • xxDDxxxxDDxx Posts: 645 New Member
    edited August 2009
    hehe ^^Im kinda the same as you!! =D
    ..I havnt adopted in Sims3 yet but i think i will jst to see how it turns out!! lol
  • CillianPearlCillianPearl Posts: 82 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I only adopted once, before I enabled a certain hack so that my gay Sims could have a baby naturally. xD

She was really cute! She had violet eyes, tan skin, and was rather fit. I didn't make her the heir, but she stayed with my other Sims until she died. She was like a second mommy to her sisters children.

Screenshot-174-1.jpg

Screenshot-194-1.jpg
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    edited August 2009
    In TS2 I used to create a family of toddlers and children, all looking really different but not ugly, have the parents die or just ignore the kids and lock them away (sounds really mean I know) :evil: and then the Social Worker would come and take the kids away and they'd go into the adoption bin. :D

So whenever I wanted to adopt a child I knew I'd get a normal looking one. Has anyone tried that with TS3? I havent yet but was wondering if it worked?
  • byronh29byronh29 Posts: 182 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I adopted a few times before I got a same-sex Try for Baby mod.

Anyway, it seems all the adopted kids are so fat that you have to use the body sculptor 3 or 4 times before they look normal :P I think the chance of having a really good looking adopted Sim is about the same as pressing "randomize" in create-a-sim, i.e. virtually zero.
  • byronh29byronh29 Posts: 182 New Member
    edited August 2009
    asimbsim wrote:
    In TS2 I used to create a family of toddlers and children, all looking really different but not ugly, have the parents die or just ignore the kids and lock them away (sounds really mean I know) :evil: and then the Social Worker would come and take the kids away and they'd go into the adoption bin. :D

So whenever I wanted to adopt a child I knew I'd get a normal looking one. Has anyone tried that with TS3? I havent yet but was wondering if it worked?

Hmm, that sounds like a really neat idea. Maybe i'll test it tomorrow if I get the time.

What I do know for sure is that when your kids are taken away by the social worker they still exist in the neighbourhood, they move into other people's houses and I can only assume that's because those families used the adoption service. I'm not sure what your chances would be of getting them if you tried the same thing.