Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Keeping The Sims 4 Running Smoothly?

Hello! I've been playing the Sims on a MacBook Pro early 2015 model for nearly a month now. It's been lots of fun, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to keep it running smoothly. I had to use testingcheats twice (once to remove a stuck childhood phase and the other to add a trait because I forgot to add it when my Sim aged up) I always made sure to disable testingcheats when I was done. My game suddenly got laggy just when I was playing it a few minutes ago. It basically froze up. I've already repaired my game before writing here.

I've seen a lot of talk about the "Tray" folder under the Sims 4 and keeping it clean. I've never done anything to it yet, but there seems to be a whole bunch of things in there when I check it out. Maybe this is why my game froze up? I don't want to do something to mess up my game! I really like my Sims and I don't want to lose them! :frowning: Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    You can always pull your Sims 4 folder out to your Desktop and allow the game to generate a new one and then transfer back your saved games. That should clear out anything that could be causing the game to lag. I would not clear out the Tray folder as this holds the data for CC not installed via the Gallery. So if you use a lot of CC that will cause your game to become laggy no matter the version.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Thank you @Tremayne4260. I don't use any CC, so I don't have to worry about that. I tend to worry too much. The game seems to be running smoothly now that I've repaired it. If something comes up again I'll deal with it. :) Thank you so much!
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    Hello! I've been playing the Sims on a MacBook Pro early 2015 model for nearly a month now. It's been lots of fun, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to keep it running smoothly. I had to use testingcheats twice (once to remove a stuck childhood phase and the other to add a trait because I forgot to add it when my Sim aged up) I always made sure to disable testingcheats when I was done. My game suddenly got laggy just when I was playing it a few minutes ago. It basically froze up. I've already repaired my game before writing here.

I've seen a lot of talk about the "Tray" folder under the Sims 4 and keeping it clean. I've never done anything to it yet, but there seems to be a whole bunch of things in there when I check it out. Maybe this is why my game froze up? I don't want to do something to mess up my game! I really like my Sims and I don't want to lose them! :frowning: Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Which MacBook Pro do you have? There are 13" and 15" models and the 15" are split into an entry level with integrated graphics and a high end with dedicated GPU. A 13" will start to lag quicker when you add more packs to the game as the Mac will be struggling to keep up with all the demands the game is making. Lowering graphics settings can sometimes help with this issue.

The Tray folder is where the files for your Library items are stored. Crin has a couple of great pages on explaining the Tray folder and what it does:

http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/extended-loading-time/

http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2016/10/lags-and-freezes-patch-1-24-102/
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Hi @BluebellFlora! I use a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina. I keep all my settings on low (except for distance view and reflection. I repaired the game and it seems to be alright now (I always make mountains out of molehills). I only have the base game and the parenthood pack. I might buy 1 or 2 more packs in the future (such as eco living). Thank you for the links to Crin's guides. I read them and now I understand what the tray folder is. If I have any more problems, I'll be sure to check them out again and read more of the forum threads or make my own for help. :) Thanks again!
  • Options
    janwearsbracesjanwearsbraces Posts: 53 Member
    Hi @Lyoufln! Apologies if any of this is obvious or redundant, but, when you play the Sims, is it the only program you're running? You mentioned in another thread that we play on the same model MBP. The first thing I always do before starting the Sims is to make sure no other programs are running. As far as testingcheats goes, that shouldn't affect the performance. I've used it for ages with no issues.

Since our little 13" MBPs weren't designed to be gaming computers, we have to help them as much as possible. I have reset the game from time to time, using the method that @Tremayne4260 mentioned and it's helped for a while. I've had this computer for 2 years and only recently have I experienced game crashes and freezes. Some of that is probably from all the game packs and CC I've accumulated over the years, but the rest is, I believe, related to the computer's limitations.

But, if you don't go have your graphics on high settings, don't have a high number of game packs and CC, make sure the game is the only program running and your computer has good air circulation, you should be able to play the game. (We already talked about the overheating issues.) I also recently learned to keep the laptop plugged in while playing the game. If I had to get rid of the game packs and CC to play, it wouldn't be much fun. So, for me, the ultimate solution is to trade in this machine for a 15" MacBook Pro because they have a dedicated video card and more power. In the meantime, as I mentioned, I do frequent saves just in case another freeze/crash occurs!
    Spiral staircases please!
  • Options
    Hi @janwearsbraces I don't think anything else is running when I play (besides Origin) but I will be sure to check. What do you mean by reset the game? Would I lose all my Sims if I did that?
  • Options
    janwearsbracesjanwearsbraces Posts: 53 Member
    @Lyoufln

If you've tried the Origin "repair game" tool and nothing seems better, you can reset the game to the factory defaults.

If you have things you’d like to save (Sims, buildings, etc.), do the following:

1. If you’re playing the game, quit it and quit Origin.
    2. Go into Documents—>Electronic Arts. You’ll see a folder called “The Sims 4”. Drag that to your desktop.
    3. Start the game, then immediately quit the game.
    4. Go back into Documents—>Electronic Arts. You’ll see a newly created folder called “The Sims 4”.
    5. Take the following files from the old Sims 4 folder on your desktop and drag them to into the newly created “The Sims 4” folder. You’ll be asked if you want to replace the item. Click “replace”.
    —Custom Music (folder)
    —Mods (folder)
    —Options.ini (file)
    —saves (folder)
    —Tray (folder)

If you don’t have any game info or things you’d like to save, then you can do steps 1-3 from above and ignore steps 4 & 5.

Maybe @BluebellFlora can confirm this? I've done this a few times already, but I may not have explained the steps clearly enough.
    Spiral staircases please!
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    That's a good description of a factory reset :) I would be cautious about the Mods folder though just in case it is corrupted or incompatible CC that is causing the issue. Moving them over in batches would be better, unless you know 100% it's not a Mod/CC issue. Similarly with the Tray folder if it's bloated.

The Options.ini file is just your in game settings so don't bother copying it over. It will be recreated when you launch the game and it will determine the optimal graphics settings based on what your machine can handle. You can always change the settings in the options after you've loaded the game.

This is a really common cause of crashing and not loading - people set their graphics options too high in game then the game won't load because the computer isn't capable of running it at the settings the user has chosen. If this happens just trash the Options.ini file and load the game again.
    apple-signature.png