Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovacy Challenge - a new (and short!) challenge.

Comments

• Options
    Katie_LouKatie_Lou Posts: 29 Member
    Hiya @Kgaff I really liked your first post. Enjoy your renovacy!

More triplets, @ADWilson? I thought Sims was supposed to relieve stress, not induce it... :D
    "Language is wine upon the lips." —Virginia Woolf
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @Kgaff ~ posted on your thread, but want to drop a comment here as well.
    I really enjoyed reading your take on things and look forward to reading more. :)

@Katie_Lou ~ Yes, more. I decided to go all in and do things I wouldn't normally do. I can now check off this particular box and not bother with back-to-back triplets again. :wink:
  • Options
    fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    @ADWilson 6 kids! sounds like a nightmare brewing. I cant wait for the next update. I love the names you selected.

@Kgaff looking forward to your take on this challenge as well.

its always interesting to see how the same household can take such different paths in other players games.
  • Options
    SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi @ADWilson Really enjoyed your next chapter - and the way the boys' celtic names reflected Euan's, just as the girls' names went with Patience. Liked the boys' rooms too, and the way you decorated them. Triplets twice - that's hard work...I have done it because I quite like playing challenging families (and I did a hundred baby challenge that featured a lot of triplets! And had a plotline too, which I was quite pleased about), but there's a lot of potty training in there.
    Have you thought of creating a renovacy...I really like your take on architecture and decorating. I'd play it! Playing my own is not quite the same...

@Kgaff I commented on the end of your story, but wanted to drop you a line here as well and say what fun it is seeing two different takes on the same story happening side by side.
  • Options
    Revamped my Warehouse chapter 1 - a lot less observations and a lot more story, now. Another first for me.
    Here if interested. (same pics but lots more words)

How are everybody's renovacies coming along?
  • Options
    fleshjenn wrote: »
    @ADWilson 6 kids! sounds like a nightmare brewing. I cant wait for the next update. I love the names you selected.

@Kgaff looking forward to your take on this challenge as well.

its always interesting to see how the same household can take such different paths in other players games.

I'll readily admit that it can be a bit hectic at times ... even when the kids are older. What was I thinking? LOL
    Both Euan and Patience have the LTW of raising 5 children so I figured two rounds of birth/toddler training would get them to the money-making side of things sooner rather than later (forgetting during planning that when the youngest hits YA this challenge is done). Oops!

Thanks! Not sure which I enjoy more ... playing and writing or reading what everybody else is doing.
    I have no clue what I'd do without Google! Found a lovely site listing virtues so I ran with those that made pretty names for girls and another listing Scottish names for boys.

@Kgaff's version is fantastic, but I walk a fine line between enjoying reading it and not letting those great ideas influence what I'm doing or not doing. I'm sure it will be similar when I move along to the next challenge that others have played. I'm like a magpie when it comes to collecting ideas, tips & tricks and advice from others. Ha ha
  • Options
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    Hi @ADWilson Really enjoyed your next chapter - and the way the boys' celtic names reflected Euan's, just as the girls' names went with Patience. Liked the boys' rooms too, and the way you decorated them. Triplets twice - that's hard work...I have done it because I quite like playing challenging families (and I did a hundred baby challenge that featured a lot of triplets! And had a plotline too, which I was quite pleased about), but there's a lot of potty training in there.
    Have you thought of creating a renovacy...I really like your take on architecture and decorating. I'd play it! Playing my own is not quite the same...

@Kgaff I commented on the end of your story, but wanted to drop you a line here as well and say what fun it is seeing two different takes on the same story happening side by side.

Hello @SamelaRita :)
    Thank YOU! Your names inspired my choices. Glad you like the design and decor since I'm merely extending/enhancing the good bones already provided. I really liked the looks of the layout and wanted to maintain as much of the original as possible.

I don't often get triplets and this is my first time with two consecutive sets.
    The walker and playpen objects are such a help with keeping training going without wearing poor Euan & Patience out each day. I set up an "assembly line" of potty, walker and playpen for times when a parent was solo. When those skills were done, books and toys (peg box and xylophone) were lined up and down the upstairs hall. Some things were parent trained and others, toddler-led. I also rotated having one parent stay home and another go out collecting flowers or whatnot in order to avoid the Stir Crazy moodlet while increasing the bank balance.

Congrats on doing a 100 Baby Challenge!!! I periodically ponder doing one, but think it would drive me nuts and bore readers to tears.

While playing this, I admit considering the possibility of making one and getting your permission to link it in this thread but haven't fleshed anything out yet. Would it be okay if I bounced ideas, asked questions and/or got advice in a PM or three? You obviously know what makes it work and several ideas I had just seemed too difficult or not enjoyable enough to expect others to give it a go.
  • Options
    @Katie_Lou - I love your re-write! And the way you've gone into the characters in more depth, and the way you've obviously enjoyed writing it too.

@ADWilson - I'd be really happy for you to make one up and link it to this site. I'd love to play it too...ask as many questions as you want. My starting point was usually either the building - I wanted to try a particular style - or the family and their back story. The McPhails started with the family, and the Railway one with the station idea.

• Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @Katie_Lou You have a good start going. I love the idea of washing clothes in the water and the dinner conversation was great!

@ADWilson seriously ARE YOU CRAZY???? You had three more babies! The ones I have are driving me mad!!!

We had a superbowl party last night so I won't get a new chapter up until tomorrow but...

I've played a couple more days and I am totally exhausted and my simmies are at the boiling point. I have one doing the day shift and one doing the night shift. Flower picking is now the only form of income. Plus, mom and dad can't get it together. One brings the kids downstairs and the other takes them right back up!! I finally moved everything down stairs until the kids can do the stairs themselves. HA! take that!

Oh and thank you for all the positive comments, it gives me the courage to go on. <3 Cuz, well, this is hard!
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Looks, like I have a lot of reading to do today to catch up with everyone has been doing.

Finished playing week 3 of the Newton-Brown's last week, got my notes typed up this morning.
    http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges/newton-brown-week-3

I'll probably get week 4 played this week, and then typed up next week or maybe this week. Hard to say.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @Katie_Lou great start. looking forward to seeing how you progress.
  • Options
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn What a transformation! You wouldn't know it for the same site - and I do like the exterior style.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn I agree! It's amazing what you have accomplished in such a short time. I love the look of the house you came up with from what you had to start with. :) I don't know how you keep track of all those people. :astonished:

@ciane I seriously do not understand how you can do one of these in two weeks!!! It took me two days just to clean the walls so I could paint, even then some of the graffiti is still there showing through. I don't know how to train 3 kids to walk, talk, use the potty and read. They might have to do some heavy time in the play pen!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Wow, I had a lot to catch up on! Loved, loved, loved all the stories! Great house @Mmdrgntobldrgn! I caught up on your Snyder story too @ADWilson - LOVED the pretty wedding! @Katie_Lou - Who knew you were such a story teller?!

I played my renovacy through the weekend now, but I haven't posted pics and written things up yet. I've been so super busy lately and had doctor, physical therapy, and occupational therapy back to back to back in the morning. But, as hubby works the night shift tonight, I might get something done later.
  • Options
    @Katie_Lou ~ LOVED the way you fleshed out the characters further and described the circumstances leading them to where they are now. GREAT job!

@Mmdrgntobldrgn ~ I agree with SamelaRita. Hard to believe that this is the same plot of land/build you started with ... the before/after has me thinking of a caterpillar's transformation into a butterfly. Same, yet not. Wow!

@Kgaff ~ It's not easy! Euan & Patience are busy from the time they wake until the time they drag their tired bodies to bed. The walker and playpen made this sheer bout of lunacy on my end more manageable. I haven't really used either of these items before but knew that I had to in their situation.

In fact, I'm learning quite a bit while playing through this challenge: collecting flowers can be quite the cash cow; The playpen is a true marvel! Besides, learning to talk and the skill from the abacus ... if a toddler already knows how to talk, they can do the actions and gain hidden Charisma skill. Toddlers can play peek-a-boo while in it and build their relationship. How fortunate that both items aren't expensive!; teens can help with the toddler training. While I didn't do that, it was interesting to discover the "teach to walk/etc" actions in their menu of choices.

Speaking of teens, while they can help care for the toddlers they don't do it in quite the same way as their parents. Asking them to "feed x on floor" often entails them toting the tot downstairs instead of going where directed which the parents do just fine. That means feed downstairs and then tote tot back upstairs to where the books and toys are. One small stairway means a lot of traffic troubles as sims get in a queue to go up or down.

To be honest, the care doesn't get any easier when they are children and teens. Some of these sims ignore the action queues they were given and oh my goodness ... so many mood drops that I fully expect all of them to turn & yell at me for putting them through this! The next time I play this particular family (just for fun!), I will spread out the bouncing bundles of joy if possible. lol
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Katie_Lou ~ I wasn't ignoring your question on how the renovacies are going, just felt that the above post was getting way too long. So of course I end up writing another mini-novel here.

Am currently in the beginning of Week FOUR and needing to write THREE, but it's slow going and at times no going. A number of you are friends and see my s3 page posts so you know what's going on. I'll try to be brief (ha!) and give an update here.
    My mother-in-law is currently in the hospital (been there just over two weeks) & has fully realized that she can't return to her apartment so plans are in place to transfer her into Skilled Nursing (Rehab). She will either move to an Assisted Living Facility or a Nursing Home (tbd by what she can/can't do as a result of rehab). We're heading up to see her again tonight and hope to learn more about when the transfer will happen (been several delays already).

I was picked as a juror on Monday with the trial set to be a one-day on Tuesday. Yesterday afternoon we all realized that part of today would also be needed and set up things accordingly. Our legal system is quite the learning experience with all of its rules and procedures & I admit that I'm a bit in awe of those who choose any professional capacity within this "big machine". I arrive home tired and don't think of opening my game, sorry.

It's also hard thinking of game as our 19 yo (almost 20) cat who had been steadily declining off & on for a while, knew her time was nearing and began letting us know Monday night by starting to seek a hidey hole. She passed away last night. Our 20-year old daughter is having a really tough time as she considered Missy to be a friend & sister. Hubby and I are also sad, but part of our sadness is due to the hurt our daughter is experiencing. I'm sitting here tearing up as I type this. Sorry to bring the fun atmosphere found here down with my stuff ... something I never intended to do as I always have done my best to keep threads I'm a part of, positive and easygoing/light on personal drama.

I shall take a couple of days to just be. I might be here, I might not, so please don't be upset if I am not really responding to any comments that might be left directly for me (perhaps PM might be best so we don't bog down this thread with my stuff and take away from all the awesomeness that @SamelaRita brought to our attention). I want to recharge my personal battery so I can focus on the fun and truly be a part of it once more when I "return".

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Patience needs to be patient a little while longer and will hopefully have enough funds by the time the challenge is done to go the spa for a well-deserved treatment or package. Euan might go too.
    Post edited by ADWilson on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ok so I finally got around to opening up my old wordpress account. and found it fairly easy to use. So I made up a quick summary of my adventure with the railway house. I do think my skills have become a bit rusty. Need to take a refresher course in sim picture taking. maybe brush up on adding links and such.

Railway Renovacy Attempt 1
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I came here to say that I did get my post done so I am caught up with my sim play now.
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/pit/1wk

I hope your daughter adjusts to the loss of her lifetime feline companion easier than you might envision, @ADWilson, and that your MIL can make a transition to assisted living after PT.

Oh, I loved seeing your pics and reading your tale @fleshjenn. I was super sad that the attempt was a bust!

• Options
    @ciane lol thanks for reading. I think I had just been out of the game so long I forgot how hard it was to maintain a large household. also every time I went to look for something to help them, I realized I hadn't installed it yet. like chickens and grampas grove.

I am trying to do a clean install now, but it takes so long, and no actual play time going that it is so annoying.

I did get to read your story from the begining as a wonderful distraction. I think you really managed to capture how chaotic it is to keep so many small sims busy and learning. after reading some of the other stories I thought i was the only one having trouble keeping all the kids in check. lol
  • Options
    So sorry for the tough time you're having, @ADWilson. Please make sure you take some time for yourself. If you're anything like my mum (and most mums!) you'll be trying to hold everything together by being the rock for everyone else, but don't forget about yourself. Big, big hugs to you.

@Mmdrgntobldrgn - Have to agree with the others, what an incredible transformation! So impressed with what you've done with the lot.

Loved your blog post, @fleshjenn, it had me laughing lots! "The mansion is never grand if your sims keep peeing themselves!" - LOL!

Kids' bedrooms are looking spectacularly colourful, @ciane, lovely choice of windows too.

Been neglecting my own story and trying my hand at building a little renovacy of my own, more of just a fixer upper and maybe not as challenging as some of @SamelaRita's, but it's been fun coming up with ideas nonetheless. Hopefully will have something to post by the end of the week.
  • Options
    @ciane I'm following both your @Mmdrgntobldrgn . You are both playing the same challenge and both have totally different views on it. It's quite interesting to see how vastly different your builds are and how the members of the two families interact and change. Fascinating :)

@fleshjenn LOL! I learned the hard way about how to spend the money too!! I like to build more than play and never realized how costly bringing up children can be!

I have updated my post with Day 2 (I can't believe it's just day 2, sigh) http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16308799/#Comment_16308799
  • Options
    A new warehouse update here.

Updates might be a little delayed from me, we're prepping to move within the next month so I'm spending a lot of time packing and cleaning which doesn't leave much time for simming - but I'll still be checking in as much as I can. :)
  • Options
    I've enjoyed everyone's progress updates.

Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Katie_Lou Really liked the update, and the way Kirsten got to feel like a teen again for a little while. Like the way the characters are slowly unfolding.
    @fleshjenn - I've never had one sim threaten to kick another out - must try for that some time! Large families are always a challenge - which of course is why I put one in, mwah ha ha!
    @ciane I laughed out loud at the picture of Pamela not being sure what to do with the bug-eyed goldfish!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Finished the Newton-Brown renovacy I was working on.

http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges/newton-brown-finale

I'm happy with how it turned out.
    What I started with as @SamelaRita created it.
    screenshot-10_17_orig.jpg
    The final. I tried to keep as much of the original landscaping as possible. No cfe, and minimal moo. I saved an empty copy to my library for future use. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to move Olivia to a new save or not.
    screenshot-267_5_orig.jpg

I still need to work on the relationship aspect of the challenges, as I was still struggling to keep the family members friends, especially Pamela when I wrapped it up.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top