Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying SSD for Sims 3

Hi tech responders! With some help from the wonderful people here (especially @chesterbigbird and @Karritz), I built my gaming PC back in 2013. It's still running amazingly, but I've decided to treat myself with an SSD to reduce my start-up times for Windows, Sims 3 and Adobe applications like Photoshop.

I've done my research and spoken to my techy brother, who helped me with the physical assembly of my PC, but I wanted to run everything by the people here—I know I can trust you guys and I want to be sure before I spend the money.

1. Is there another brand/product that you would recommend over the Samsung 850 EVO? I don't care too much about exact speeds, as long as it is an obvious improvement over my current HDD, but I'm worried about reliability and price. The 850 EVO comes with a five year warranty and is only a little more money than the three year warranty brands. I'm looking at AUD$239 for 500GB (although I probably only need 250GB, which would cost AUD$139).

2. Is there any reason an SSD might not work with my computer? My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Fatality
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775 Watt
Case: Thermaltake A31 Mid Tower Case

RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7950

3. I have an OEM version of Windows 7, still with the installation disc and codes. If I want to install Windows fresh to this new drive (but keep my files on the HDD, which would remain as an internal drive for back ups and media files), is this the correct procedure:
- Disconnect current HDD, but leave in case as-is
- Connect SSD and sit in bay below HDD
- Turn on computer and run Windows installation
- Reconnect HDD
- After installing everything I want to SSD and moving files over (or backing up to USB), eventually reformat HDD to get rid of Windows—for a while, maybe a few weeks, I would have Windows on both drives

4. Is there anything I need to know about looking after an SSD? Obviously, I won't defrag it.

Let me know if I need to provide any more information. I think I have this figured out, but I'm so excited to speed up my Sims loading experience that I'm sure I'm forgetting things! Thanks so much. :smiley:
a.k.a. Erin
Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2017
    I don't know that you can have windows installed on both the hdd and the ssd and keep them both in the same computer. @chesterbigbird input Thanks

PS do you use allot of CC and mods? If so I would get a 500 gb ssd. I have 250gb Samsung EVO ssd and space runs out quickly.
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Thanks, @phoebebebe13 – that's one of my main concerns, too. I'd like to start clean on the SSD, install my needed programs (including my beloved Sims!) and transfer files slowly across (rather than cloning the whole original drive), but not sure exactly how that will work.
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @kellycot1 Your welcome. When I bought my ssd, they were more expensive so I only got the 250 gb. I wish I had 500 gb. I may add another ssd eventually and just run my sims on that without windows. I will keep my 250 strictly for windows and all the other programs I need on C drive. I also have a 1tb hdd. I move all my saved sims , builds, cc downloads, screen shots, extra save games to my 1tb hdd for safe keeping so I don't overload my ssd. You need to keep 50gb hard drive space free while running this game so I really only have 200 gb to play with on c frive

Chester is the build expert. She would know how you should handle moving everything over.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Thanks again, @phoebebebe13 – I only have a 500GB HDD now and could probably run all my programs within that 200GB without too much trouble. But if I'm buying an SSD now and it isn't that costly to upgrade to a larger size, I may as well do it and spend less of my future life worrying about moving extras to the HDD and making space! I didn't need much convincing, but I think you've convinced me the 500GB is worthwhile. :wink:

Oh, just saw the edit on your last post now. I use a few mods, but no CC. I do have the entire Sims 3 Store installed though, so I know that takes up a lot of space. I also like to have a few saves in my folder with different Store installation combinations, so that I can build in CAW with just Build/Buy items installed. My Sims 3 folder in My Documents is about 30GB.
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    @kellycot1 Your welcome. I would do the 500gb. I would still drag any game files you want to save on your hdd for safe keeping. I always use save as option to generate a new clean save every time I play. This way I can go back to an old save if the game messes up somewhere . You should only keep a few saves in the launcher at a time. I leave no more than 10. If I want to save the extra saves they get put on HDD
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 – that sounds like a good system to use, so I'll definitely be doing that. Seems like the 500GB is a no-brainer in this case, especially for the money. Thanks for sharing your insight and experiences; I try to do my online research, but nothing beats talking to people who actually play and understand Sims 3.
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    @kellycot1 I agree . It's best to come in this forum and ask since many of us have played around with ways to get this game to run properly. I could never go back to playing this game on hdd again. What a difference playing this game on ssd. The load times are awesome on ssd. 5 minutes or under on my largest of saves. I have both a gaming laptop and desktop. I got the laptop first and it came with an ssd. I was amazed how much better the game was on ssd. I made sure the desktop had ssd. Others who finally broke down in here and got an ssd will tell you the same thing.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Crucial is another popular brand sometimes offering lower prices but lacks a little speed depending on the model. When doing research before buying my first SSD, I landed on Samsung and I'll continue buying this brand. It's not just about speed but also quality. If you can spare the cash I say it's worth it. I started out with a single 250GB for OS + small applications and eventually got a second 250GB for games. It saved me cash at the time but it's a bit of a mess having multiple drives. :p

You're build is fine for adding an SSD. You can clone the HDD to the SSD. In this case it's perfect if you get the 500GB SSD since you mentioned your HDD is also 500GB.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 – thanks so much for the help! I hadn't heard much about Crucial, but they are available through the local supplier I was planning to go with. I'd save AUD$19 by going with their 525GB over Samsung's 500GB, but that extra space and $19 doesn't seem worth it, since, as you say, Samsung have the quality (and better warranty, if not also better speed). I'd definitely prefer to avoid having more than the one SSD and storage HDD (that already seems like a lot to me!), so it makes sense to just go 500GB now—I'm all for saving myself hassle later!

Glad my build is all good. I was researching motherboards and SSD compatibility, and was losing my mind a little!

I wouldn't mind having the option to clone, but I'd prefer a fresh Windows and game install if that's feasible. I've got nearly four years worth of junk accumulating on my HDD and I'll have the time to do it in a week or so, so it feels like a good time for some spring cleaning of my programs and files—it'll give me a chance to figure out what I really need access to and what I'd just like to keep backed up somewhere.
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    Anytime I need to look up compatibility, PCPartPicker is a really helpful website. Browse by Individual Parts at the top and then on the part page, scroll to the bottom left side to see Compatible Parts. It will even list the best prices and stock. B)

Cloning is a quick easy way to transfer all your stuff but of course, I agree a nice spring cleaning is always needed every now and then. I'm excited for you to sim on the new SSD because I know how much of a difference it makes with this game. Not that you need any more convincing but for me on an HDD loading save files took anywhere between 4-7 minutes (depending on the size) and now 1.5-4 minutes (depending on the size) on an SSD. I didn't mind playing on the HDD but I defiantly can't go back now.

• Options
    @Simasaurus09 – thanks for the tip about PCPartPicker. I'd found that site when looking at prices, but didn't even notice the Compatible Parts section. I feel much better knowing it is definitely compatible, even though it seemed pretty likely.

I'm really excited about getting to Sim on it! My game loads quick enough at first, which is why I haven't bothered with this until now, but when I'm doing things in Edit Town (or starting and exiting my game to check something), I can get a bit frustrated with all the loading. Obviously, it'll make a huge difference for long-played saves as well. It'll be wonderful to have my PC start up faster, so that when I get the Simming feeling, I can start it and get into my game quickly! It's a bit of an indulgence, but I'm justifying it by pretending that it will also help me start up the PC faster to do some work. :wink:

Now I can't wait for the end of next week! I'm very tempted to go out now and buy it, but it'll drive me crazy having it here and not having the time to set it up or play Sims on it.
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think you'll love SSD load times! I bought/used my first one about two months ago and I'm impressed. For what its worth, I bought this one: Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5" for $280usd. Its been performing perfectly under pretty heavy usage for about two months now. Not much of a test timewise, but so far so good. Like you, I preferred Samsung but omg the price! I kept seeing users that had run out of room much faster than they'd anticipated. So I compromised on the brand for a larger size and got the 1TB for all my apps/games and I dump storage data to a large cheaper/slower HDD.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I think you'll love SSD load times! I bought/used my first one about two months ago and I'm impressed. For what its worth, I bought this one: Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5" for $280usd. Its been performing perfectly under pretty heavy usage for about two months now. Not much of a test timewise, but so far so good. Like you, I preferred Samsung but omg the price! I kept seeing users that had run out of room much faster than they'd anticipated. So I compromised on the brand for a larger size and got the 1TB for all my apps/games and I dump storage data to a large cheaper/slower HDD.

amazon has the samsung evo 850 1tb for $319
  • Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member

You must be like the terror of WallyWorld the way you find hot bargains! B)

Dang, that's a good price! Its currently getting $390usd at Microcenter, $370 at NewEgg. hmm, my hubby was test driving this new pc of mine and he really liked the speeds. I told him I'd build him a new one if, if __ I'm delaying until I arrive at some unfair advantage to fill that blank in. Maybe I should snatch that SSD for future needs. or shamelessly switch mine with that one ssshh. its all kellycot1's fault :p
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I thought about mentioning the Crucial MX300 and I double checked the pricing compared to the Samsung 850 EVO in USD & AUD but it's slim. The Samsung still takes the cake in the end even with a little boost in price, it's worth it. http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-500GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-525GB/3477vs3643

The nice thing about Samsung is I noticed their SSDs go on sale often. Amazon almost always has the best price. So I guess it depends on when you buy.

@Dusty_Boots I'll be the devil on your shoulder and say switch em' out. >:) He still gets a 1TB in the end which is pretty darn nice.
  • Options

You must be like the terror of WallyWorld the way you find hot bargains! B)

Dang, that's a good price! Its currently getting $390usd at Microcenter, $370 at NewEgg. hmm, my hubby was test driving this new pc of mine and he really liked the speeds. I told him I'd build him a new one if, if __ I'm delaying until I arrive at some unfair advantage to fill that blank in. Maybe I should snatch that SSD for future needs. or shamelessly switch mine with that one ssshh. its all kellycot1's fault :p

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498765155&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=damsung+evo+850+1tb
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots – I'd say I'm sorry for the temptation, but... do it! You know you want to. :wink:

It's times like these I wish I was in the US! I can technically buy from Amazon, but it is a nightmare in currency conversion fees and the shipping is expensive. Local is better anyway, just in case something goes wrong.

I think I'm settled on Samsung now, since it is only marginally more expensive (~$10 to $20 more at the 500GB mark) and better quality. To be honest, the five year warranty has me feeling pretty convinced! I'm a sucker for a good warranty.

Anyway, that just leaves the very specific logistical matters, like whether Windows can be installed on both SSD and HDD at the same time for a while (until I get a chance to move things I want across and reformat). My Googling says it is okay, as long as the SSD is the only drive connected when installing Windows and as long as I make sure the SSD has boot priority. Hoping someone else has an idea/experience with doing this, but if not, I'll back up what I can and try it when I get the SSD.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped reassure and convince me! :smile:
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    I don't have experience with it but that's what I read too.
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 – thanks for your input! At least if we both read it, it's more likely to be true, right? :tongue:
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited July 2017
    Excuse me while I butt into (Hi Erin!) this thread.
    @kellycot1... I move all my saved sims , builds, cc downloads, screen shots, extra save games to my 1tb hdd for safe keeping so I don't overload my ssd. You need to keep 50gb hard drive space free while running this game so I really only have 200 gb to play with on c frive.

@phoebebebe13 New computer is here and it's awesome! I've installed all my Sims 3 games onto the SSD, but I have around 100 gb of Sims folders that I use back and forth. I have separate folders that have 1) all store content, 2) some store content, 3) loads of cc. I just put the folder I want to play in documents. Should I save the folders that I'm not playing on the D drive? Or should I transfer the whole documents folder to the D drive for good? I'm wondering if it's wise to copy the game folders back and forth from SSD to HDD when I change out games.

ETA: So Windows is not on the D drive? Only on the SSD drive?
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @kellycot1... I move all my saved sims , builds, cc downloads, screen shots, extra save games to my 1tb hdd for safe keeping so I don't overload my ssd. You need to keep 50gb hard drive space free while running this game so I really only have 200 gb to play with on c frive.

@phoebebebe13 New computer is here and it's awesome! I've installed all my Sims 3 games onto the SSD, but I have around 100 gb of Sims folders that I use back and forth. I have separate folders that have 1) all store content, 2) some store content, 3) loads of cc. I just put the folder I want to play in documents. Should I save the folders that I'm not playing on the D drive? Or should I transfer the whole documents folder to the D drive for good? I'm wondering if it's wise to copy the game folders back and forth from SSD to HDD when I change out games.

If you have 500 gb ssd there is no need to redirect your documents folder. I would only suggest that if you were playing on a smaller ssd. I just open up my saves folder, drag the saves I want to keep over to d drive and then delete them off of c drive so I don't keep too many saves in the launcher. I only keep my most current saves in the launcher. I usually number my saves example Moolight Falls 1, 2, 3 etc. I have never had a problem dragging my saves from D drive back to my sims 3 save folder should I want to go back to a different game or prior save

PS they put the ssd on c drive with windows. D Drive will be your second hard drive without windows. Enjoy that new computer!
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Okay, thanks for explaining. I am loving the computer. Just timed it, 1 minute and 10 seconds to load almost all EPs and SPs!
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member

Personally, if your ssd has the space, I wouldn't transfer the folders back and forth between ssd and hdd. I just feel that the constant writes to an SSD for folder transfers, especially when a Sims folder is in the GB's, is unnecessary writes to an ssd. I run 3 to 4 Sim folders each game (Sims 3 and Sims 4) and just rename the folders when I want to play depending on which I want to run (example: The Sims 3 would have a "The Sims 3" folder that's active. When I want a different folder I add "store content" to the end and erase "challenges" from a different folders end). I do back up to my hdd weekly, though, which is a good habit to be in.
  • Options
    DivieOwl wrote: »

Personally, if your ssd has the space, I wouldn't transfer the folders back and forth between ssd and hdd. I just feel that the constant writes to an SSD for folder transfers, especially when a Sims folder is in the GB's, is unnecessary writes to an ssd. I run 3 to 4 Sim folders each game (Sims 3 and Sims 4) and just rename the folders when I want to play depending on which I want to run (example: The Sims 3 would have a "The Sims 3" folder that's active. When I want a different folder I add "store content" to the end and erase "challenges" from a different folders end). I do back up to my hdd weekly, though, which is a good habit to be in.

I use the second hard drive for storage and works just like an external hard drive would @ZeeGee . I keep my files there for safe keeping. If you keep all your files on c drive and your ssd goes bad, you will loose everything . You also should not keep too many saves in your game save folder . It will jam up the launcher.
  • Options
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    Personally, if your ssd has the space, I wouldn't transfer the folders back and forth between ssd and hdd. I just feel that the constant writes to an SSD for folder transfers, especially when a Sims folder is in the GB's, is unnecessary writes to an ssd.

Okay, so transferring the files back to 'c' drive would actually be rewriting them again. I'm starting to get it now. Thank you.

I use the second hard drive for storage and works just like an external hard drive would @ZeeGee . I keep my files there for safe keeping. If you keep all your files on c drive and your ssd goes bad, you will loose everything . You also should not keep too many saves in your game save folder . It will jam up the launcher.

The D drive is like an external hard drive. Okay, now I get it. Thanks!