Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you pick a trait to pass on in a family?

So I don't play legacy challenges so I don't know if this is a thing. But whenever I start a new family with one of my sims I pick a trait to get passed on to all their future relatives.

I normally pick something like insane, unflirty, or jealous. Just something to make playing that family just a little more interesting.

Comments

• LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    I always have at least one trait pass down from a family member. I use dice or generators to randomize from which parent the trait comes from and which trait it is.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I think that is a thing, I think it's a common variation on the legacy challenge... I don't remember the name for it but yeah there is one in which you choose a trait to be passed through the legacy. :)
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    With my current legacy, I started trying to have each child get one trait from each parent and then the third trait is my choice. So I have traits like Lives The Outdoors that have been passed down since the beginning. I feel like it changes enough to not be boring, but helps keep the family connected.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    When I remember I'll have the child trait come from one parent, the teen trait come from the other parent, and the adult trait be completely unique. Most of the time I gear the traits to what I want my Sim to be when s/he grows up, especially if you've got duplicate traits with the parents (both parents Creative or Active, for example).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    Oh, the insane trait is a natural one to pass down and lots of fun for the insane parent and child throughout the years.
  • LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member
    In my legacy's .. I use the pinstarr generator. And for most rolls, it comes real close to picking up the traits from both mom and dad .. but sometimes, I get something out of the blue.. a trait that has not been in the family line at all. Since my legacy game is a 10 gen .. lol, I'm dependant on there being kids, and the first time I rolled Dislike Children .. I'm thinking ... Uh Ohhh.. But ya know what, the child that had this trait, turned out to be the best dad ever ! I not longer fret anymore about getting an undesirable trait from the rolls anymore.. as that is what keeps the legacy fun and interesting .. but now, if only I could get the jealousy trait at least once.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I don't pass down traits in a legacy, instead I try to use each trait somewhere down the line before taking a previously selected one again.

However, I pass down certain characteristics, like an overarching theme for the legacy. For example the Drachstedts were all about the stars, some were astronauts, some painters, others fortune tellers (writer, actually, with a cc computer that looked like a crystal ball).
  • basslinewildbasslinewild Posts: 268 Member
    I usually only pass down traits like genius and athletic. I usually don't play any of the "bad" traits like slob, insane, evil, etc.
    Tessa :)
    Gallery items under : TessaNicolle
    Check out my houses!
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Laceyrose wrote: »
    In my legacy's .. I use the pinstarr generator. And for most rolls, it comes real close to picking up the traits from both mom and dad .. but sometimes, I get something out of the blue.. a trait that has not been in the family line at all. Since my legacy game is a 10 gen .. lol, I'm dependant on there being kids, and the first time I rolled Dislike Children .. I'm thinking ... Uh Ohhh.. But ya know what, the child that had this trait, turned out to be the best dad ever ! I not longer fret anymore about getting an undesirable trait from the rolls anymore.. as that is what keeps the legacy fun and interesting .. but now, if only I could get the jealousy trait at least once.

I quite using Pinstar's generator because it turns out that more than likely I'll get the glutton trait. It shows up nearly every time I use the generator.
  • metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    Now that's a good idea, I'm thinking on giving a passing trait to my current legacy.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    Sorta, kinda. I had Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab have another child, a son named Maddox. He had a face very similar to that of Geoffrey. I'm now playing Maddox' great-grandson Tor Landgraab who has a nearly identical face. Tor and his wife Scarlett (Spencer-Kim-Lewis) have twin sons, Reid and Daniel. I hope one of them grows up to also look like his father. I should take pictures and post them sometime.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member

@DivieOwl Are you using another generator ? Where as Ive not had that much problems with it, I basically use it for my heir, as he is the important sim in my game when playing a legacy. Those that are spares .. well,.. sometimes, they get what I give them.. or maybe at least one :)
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I used to carry Neat on to any heir of mine because I'd love seeing them uncomfortable LOL. I stopped after a while since I didn't want it to lose it's novelty.
    One of my families had a streak of constantly getting Insane when I'd rotate away on their birthdays to leave it up to chance, and another part of my family had the same thing happening but with Mean (which is in tune with the rest of my townies who are either Childish or Evil these days.) I sort of liked doing that instead since I got lazy using generators.

Whenever I play and a toddler/child/teen ages during my gameplay, it's usually a family I play long term. I'd just kind of watch their autonomy and see how they act. If they keep running outside to say hello to strangers, I'll give them Outgoing. If they avoid communication, I'll give them Loner. If they're always heading to the kitchen, I'd give them Glutton, and if they keep getting on the treadmill or autonomously working out, I'll give them Active. Little things like that to retain the kind of "personality" they had before they've aged.
  • honeyboomhoneyboom Posts: 243 Member
    my sims pretty much always have creative and genius. they learn faster and houses are prettier bc paintings.
    "every star may be a sun to someone"-carl sagan
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I had a legacy that passed on the jealousy trait. I do like passing on traits from parent to child though...especially the lifestyle ones since it feels realistic to me.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • PositivibeePositivibee Posts: 52 Member
    For me it's not usually a trait but a skill that I'd keep in my families ;) . (Ex. Painting, logic.) Especially in TS4, since I'm not a big fan of the trait system. In TS3 I usually kept the trait that went along with the skill, but then again you could chose up to 8 traits in TS3 (5 w/o uni).
    For example, my self sim is a high logic writer who's married to Travis Scott who is a tech programmer. So I made their daughter Bethally level in logic and videogames. I feel that this keeps some consistency in families.
  • CxpmemeCxpmeme Posts: 76 Member
    Yee, i always pass down the insane trait cause it makes sense i guess