Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Including Laundry as a potential SP concept for us to vote for was a mistake

Comments

• DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    But also @DeservedCriticism i gotta say that the earlier gloating really wasn't necessary. You've done it before and I've ignored it but come on. Its rude/annoying not to mention ain't helping your popularity. I know it gets frustrating because you get backlash a lot for being critical most of the time, but seriously.

For what it's worth: sorry. Usually I try and type up why I do those posts, but I guess I've gotten lazy lately.

If you're curious, that's not about "gloating" for me, but rather it's about calling attention to the subject and encouraging a more open-minded approach to such discussions in the future. You probably don't remember this, but the first thread I made back when this project was first announced got a much less-than-stellar reception. People just accused me of needing something to criticize or hate on or that I can't just accept the project is great and leave it at that, and not many seemed to consider that I legitimately felt laundry "sunk" and heavily skewed the polling. It's only at the final vote that people were a bit more receptive to the idea. I'd like if people were a bit more open-minded in the future when people come posting concerns. It's not about "revenge" or something, but rather reminding them they made a mistake to denounce such a concern so quickly, and perhaps remembering that will dissuade them from doing it again in the future since people don't like being called out on their mistakes. Me "gloating" is more or less supposed to function as calling out those people on that mistake; not to be a petty jerk, but just to ensure they remember it. You may think that's a jerk move regardless and that's fine, but personally I love mistakes and being wrong. I have vivid memories of giving a wrong answer in a math class when I was like 14. Teacher was a jerk about it, some kids laughed....but I remember that lesson vividly, moreso than the lessons I understood immediately without problem. I'd like to use that same concept to make people remember the time they were dismissive of a concern and the concern turned out to make rather accurate predictions, and that way maybe it won't repeat in the future and the next concern someone posts will be heard out a little more. Mistakes can be an excellent opportunity for growth. If that means letting some strangers on the internet think I'm arrogant or something just to make sure it registers as a mistake, so be it.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    *sigh*
    Ah forums how I love thee and thy drama :D
    Im going to be honest I had these exact thoughts long before dc showed up to play.

My biggest give away was, an ironing board decor item and other washroom things like hampers that we could vote on (and won as an object we will get) while the other ideas had not as much representation.

@Triplis I recomend leting the angery and disapointed rant here or else they may try to eat you, your kinda in the lion pit of the spurned my friend. Escape while you still can! :D

It was what it was at least some simmers are happy.
    I would kinda like to do this again though I had fun doing it.
    lol. :D
    Geesh I needed that today.
    :) Thanks for the kind and wise words.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    *sigh*
    Ah forums how I love thee and thy drama :D
    Im going to be honest I had these exact thoughts long before dc showed up to play.

My biggest give away was, an ironing board decor item and other washroom things like hampers that we could vote on (and won as an object we will get) while the other ideas had not as much representation.

@Triplis I recomend leting the angery and disapointed rant here or else they may try to eat you, your kinda in the lion pit of the spurned my friend. Escape while you still can! :D

It was what it was at least some simmers are happy.
    I would kinda like to do this again though I had fun doing it.
    lol. :D
    Geesh I needed that today.
    :) Thanks for the kind and wise words.

Aw no problem,
    Also only time in my life I may ever be called wise so I'm just going to fluff my feathers a bit right now. :)
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    I knew the second that laundry was suggested for eco, that's the theme we were going with and that was the gameplay. I love the idea of voting for the pack features and seeing it progress through development, but not when the fate of it all was obvious from the second you saw the first pole. Dont get me wrong, i'm happy that we're getting laundry in TS4, but I don't want it to be a missed opportunity of getting something new. And I don't feel they even needed to include it in the vote, because we were probably going to see it in another pack. All I see this is being a thrown away opportunity to truly add something new.
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    I knew the second that laundry was suggested for eco, that's the theme we were going with and that was the gameplay. I love the idea of voting for the pack features and seeing it progress through development, but not when the fate of it all was obvious from the second you saw the first pole. Dont get me wrong, i'm happy that we're getting laundry in TS4, but I don't want it to be a missed opportunity of getting something new. And I don't feel they even needed to include it in the vote, because we were probably going to see it in another pack. All I see this is being a thrown away opportunity to truly add something new.
    It would have been nice for it to not have seemed that way agreed. I really hope the other ideas get a chance I know there's a petition somewhere to sign of your interested.
    Also why I would like to do this again with new topics maybe then it would be adjusted and balenced diffrently.
    It would have been nice for it to not have seemed that way agreed. I really hope the other ideas get a chance I know there's a petition somewhere to sign of your interested.
    Also why I would like to do this again with new topics maybe then it would be adjusted and balenced diffrently.

This is my #1 concern. I'd argue that the 2nd and 3rd place results for both the overall theme and the final result need some review and revisiting, because they might've won if laundry weren't involved. I'd hate to see a theme like Dangerous Stuff or Off-The-Grid just die out because they didn't achieve enough support, and I do think we need to acknowledge that if all laundry fans voted for something else instead, then it's fully possible that the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th place ranks might've been their second choice. The first poll was a little better at handling this and asked for an order of preference, but the second didn't do this.

The project still provided insight to the process as intended and it's a bit too late to correct things now, but I do hope that in the future, future repeats of such a project will exclude pre-existing game concepts, and ideas like Starter Home stuff, Dangerous stuff, Off the Grid and Preservatives probably all deserve some serious consideration regardless of their losses.
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member

This is my #1 concern. I'd argue that the 2nd and 3rd place results for both the overall theme and the final result need some review and revisiting, because they might've won if laundry weren't involved. I'd hate to see a theme like Dangerous Stuff or Off-The-Grid just die out because they didn't achieve enough support, and I do think we need to acknowledge that if all laundry fans voted for something else instead, then it's fully possible that the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th place ranks might've been their second choice. The first poll was a little better at handling this and asked for an order of preference, but the second didn't do this.

The project still provided insight to the process as intended and it's a bit too late to correct things now, but I do hope that in the future, future repeats of such a project will exclude pre-existing game concepts, and ideas like Starter Home stuff, Dangerous stuff, Off the Grid and Preservatives probably all deserve some serious consideration regardless of their losses.

I refuse. Off-the-Grid Game Pack or bust!
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World

100% with you there. All of the ideas mentioned from the start I feel had some appeal to them. I may not personnaly use them or buy all of them but I can see them all being loved and being great additions to gameplay.
    I liked off the grid and the wedding thing myself.

100% with you there. All of the ideas mentioned from the start I feel had some appeal to them. I may not personnaly use them or buy all of them but I can see them all being loved and being great additions to gameplay.

I wanna see that Dangerous Stuff one be a thing too. And that Funeral one sounded nice as well. I'd like something other than them just dropping dead and the living crying for days
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World

What are we busting? And dont say cats this time :p
    or dog we dont need the pet crowd hounding us (ok im going to the cornor of pun shame for that one :D )

What are we busting? And dont say cats this time :p
    or dog we dont need the pet crowd hounding us (ok im going to the cornor of pun shame for that one :D )

Hahahahaha I only ever got the pets version of anything for the random animals that walk around outside.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World

I wanna see that Dangerous Stuff one be a thing too. And that Funeral one sounded nice as well. I'd like something other than them just dropping dead and the living crying for days

Ha your sims at least cry.
    My sims vampire daughter was playing her phone in the sun when I wasn' looking, the daughter died and because the mom wasn't on the same lot she didn't even bat an eye. She obviously wasnt all that fond of her daughter
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited June 2017

My sims vampire daughter was playing her phone in the sun when I wasn' looking, the daughter died and because the mom wasn't on the same lot she didn't even bat an eye. She obviously wasnt all that fond of her daughter

So my vampire has the ability to be resistant to sunlight and I completely forgot this. So I threw a grill/pool party for my sims and a lot of the sims invited were vampires. Very bad decision to say the least. Three sims died that day (the party was more or less a funeral, the people inside didn't seem to care), and now I have to find vampire replacements for them. I also find it sorta funny how vampires are tortured in City Living because they just sit there walking around the city burning up.

Hahahahaha "Oh my daughter died? Guess I'll just make a new one"
    Parenting 101, your vampire's figured it out
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member

"'Cause you always on that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 phone." Lmao
    Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    The pack doesn't even have to be called something that means Eco Living. It could be called Laundry Life. After all not only are we getting a set of laundry items, but we also got two sinks, a lightbulb suitable for a basement, and a couple of clothes hanging items. We could simply forget the original intent and instead go with the direction it's actually started taking.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I think the inherent problem with this line of thinking is the assumption that any of the things that were included throughout these votes would be coming to The Sims 4 if they weren't included in this project. They may someday, but there's no guarantee that they will. The only way to guarantee the inclusion of any of the things you've voted upon, was for them to win their vote.

Maybe I join late to this thread, but replying to Graham, as I see for the thread title, in fact the think is the other way, assuming than the features at this vote than no won, will be discarded forever. AND than laundry was a long ago requested feature, then it started with advantage*

*About this, I remember at twitter how some people was asking to you for laundry to be included at City Living
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    I think the inherent problem with this line of thinking is the assumption that any of the things that were included throughout these votes would be coming to The Sims 4 if they weren't included in this project. They may someday, but there's no guarantee that they will. The only way to guarantee the inclusion of any of the things you've voted upon, was for them to win their vote.

Maybe I join late to this thread, but replying to Graham, as I see for the thread title, in fact the think is the other way, assuming than the features at this vote than no won, will be discarded forever. AND than laundry was a long ago requested feature, then it started with advantage*

*About this, I remember at twitter how some people was asking to you for laundry to be included at City Living

I agree with this. Kind of a stacked game from the beginning. Should have excluded laundry and kept only 'new' themes, or had only returning themes and no new concepts. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Doesn't really make a difference for me since I don't buy stuff packs, but looking at it from the very beginning this whole ordeal has heavily leaned toward laundry. Whether that was their intent or not, it overtook the entire voting process when laundry was explicitly mentioned for the eco-friendly description even though it did not fit. Now the pack isn't even representative of the winning theme, eco friendly, it's about laundry. I can see why their packs are so bad now, they have a backwards development process where they set out to make one thing and it morphs into something else entirely due to their own backwards decision making process. That's not a good thing, but it explains cool kitchen, fitness stuff, and some of their other questionable releases.
    edited June 2017
    Now the pack isn't even representative of the winning theme, eco friendly, it's about laundry. I can see why their packs are so bad now, they have a backwards development process where they set out to make one thing and it morphs into something else entirely due to their own backwards decision making process. That's not a good thing, but it explains cool kitchen, fitness stuff, and some of their other questionable releases.

Now that you mention it....

Wouldn't it make more sense to brainstorm gameplay objects before everything else? I mean gameplay objects are more or less going to define the theme, and they're also the most demanding. I mean it's entirely conceivable they could brainstorm a theme like Dangerous stuff, but then when it comes time for the gameplay stuff, they realize they can't do a gameplay concept they'd had planned from the start.

Same would never apply to clothing and furniture. Once you've ironed out the theme and the gameplay objects and ensured they can function, you can freely create the furniture and clothing around that theme without any worry of the clothing "failing" or not turning out as initially imagined. Same cannot be said for gameplay objects, so....why the heck do they do gameplay objects last?

Now I'm curious what the reasoning behind the order is. I mean if this had been the other way around with gameplay objects shortly after the theme, then at least you can more or less collapse the theme and gameplay objects together and quickly surmise it was a mismatched title. The way things unfolded, you've got some fans thinking "that's not even eco-friendly," and had laundry lost...? A lot of the furniture objects were already set to be laundry-themed, so what was the plan if something like the scrounging for food theme won...?

edited June 2017
    Yeah that is a good point @DeservedCriticism if laundry hadn't won a few of the items would have seemed out of place, maybe making the art is more time consumeing but I can't really see that in my own expirience with animation. :/ Hmm.
    I could maybe see picking an overarching theme first as most of the brainstorming sessions I've been in start with a broader idea to try and get everyone along the same lines (ie we say eco so people aren't thinking of game play for say midevil Europe) and then we fine tune down with details, however in this they had themes with some vague ideas already mentioned meaning the theme vote kinda became a feature vote.
    Also all the other packs were kinda vague where as I think laundry was more clear cut and dry when it was mentioned in the eco pack which again made it a weird theme vote.

Edit, I said featue vote at the end instead of theme I ment theme
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Now the pack isn't even representative of the winning theme, eco friendly, it's about laundry. I can see why their packs are so bad now, they have a backwards development process where they set out to make one thing and it morphs into something else entirely due to their own backwards decision making process. That's not a good thing, but it explains cool kitchen, fitness stuff, and some of their other questionable releases.

Wouldn't it make more sense to brainstorm gameplay objects before everything else? I mean gameplay objects are more or less going to define the theme, and they're also the most demanding. I mean it's entirely conceivable they could brainstorm a theme like Dangerous stuff, but then when it comes time for the gameplay stuff, they realize they can't do a gameplay concept they'd had planned from the start.

Same would never apply to clothing and furniture. Once you've ironed out the theme and the gameplay objects and ensured they can function, you can freely create the furniture and clothing around that theme without any worry of the clothing "failing" or not turning out as initially imagined. Same cannot be said for gameplay objects, so....why the heck do they do gameplay objects last?

Now I'm curious what the reasoning behind the order is. I mean if this had been the other way around with gameplay objects shortly after the theme, then at least you can more or less collapse the theme and gameplay objects together and quickly surmise it was a mismatched title. The way things unfolded, you've got some fans thinking "that's not even eco-friendly," and had laundry lost...? A lot of the furniture objects were already set to be laundry-themed, so what was the plan if something like the scrounging for food theme won...?

Yes it would. Clothing and objects are interchangeable, the gameplay is what the entire SP is essentially focused on. Picking your clothes, and objects before you even have the gameplay locked down is a bad approach. As we saw from voting, laundry was the clear winner before the gameplay vote was even near to being open. Had off the grid won, those laundry room pieces wouldn't fit at all. If your off the grid the last thing you're gonna worry about is a freshly furnished laundry room without laundy.
    edited June 2017

Yes it would. Clothing and objects are interchangeable, the gameplay is what the entire SP is essentially focused on. Picking your clothes, and objects before you even have the gameplay locked down is a bad approach. As we saw from voting, laundry was the clear winner before the gameplay vote was even near to being open. Had off the grid won, those laundry room pieces wouldn't fit at all. If your off the grid the last thing you're gonna worry about is a freshly furnished laundry room without laundy.
    Actually it may be to try to keep interest longer.
    I dont know if I really think this of the team, but sometimes when doing events you purposely put activities that will be the most engaging further back to entice people to participate longer.

Even looking at the forums now you can see a lot of people who didn't want laundry now saying they no longer care and plan on taking their leave. You also see some who don't want laundry saying that sucks but I still want the items so I'll buy it.

The feature is a major part of the pack so if they had done the vote sooner chances are people would have
    1 cared less in general if it wasn't their thing
    2 less people would have gone into the item and stuff votes
    Less people going in is bad because by having more input on items your more likely to end up appealing to a larger audience, it gets more exposure and there for conversations about the stuff and because of how much stuff "won" in those votes more people feel like they "won" something and will see the pack better.

If the people who hadn't wanted laundry had dropped out before the stuff and didn't feel like they won anything then the pack would probably have done much worse.

And since this was a vote and somebody was going to lose they maybe wanted to do everything they could to ease up on that disappointment feeling buy giving us the stuff and clothing votes where more people naturally "win".

Edit: this wasn't finished when I posted my tablet glitched sorry, I'm just going to finish this up :#
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Other reason why Laundry was put TO WIN as I can see
    4 themes
    3 are for a Game Pack. Laundry just need a SP

Food Preserve will be too cut at a SP. Nectar Making is to take more than 1 pack. New harvestables from further packs than can be used, also we already have Vampire GP. Nectar Making as a SP cant use plasma fruit, or also harvestables from Get to Work

Off the grid, also further packs could benefit from it.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    The best man won, now do an Elsa and let it go.
  • IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    The best man won, now do an Elsa and let it go.

They're not hurting anyone. You get to be happy, let other people be disappointed and share their thoughts. I don't really see how telling someone to let it go is in anyway helping them let it go. Its not like Laundry will be ripped away from you, so you gotta chill now, my man.
    Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif