Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Packs

2...Next

Comments

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »
    Personally I am not happy with the Sims 4 expansion packs. Call me fussy, but I have been playing the Sims since the first game came out in 2000, and all the excuses I keep hearing about why the Sims 4 EPs aren't as good as the previous games' EPs make me furious. Expansion packs for a game that are being made in 2017 should not be inferior to ones made ten to twenty years ago using much older technology. They should be BETTER. No ifs no buts. There should also be two a year not one like it is now. I didn't get any Sims 3 expansion packs, (so I can't comment on those) but then that's because it came out when I was a student and couldn't afford the packs or had time to play it.

Anyway Get Together is probably the best of the lot, as it had a reasonably good world and the club system was new. Even then I got bored fairly quickly and the club system wasn't fleshed out nearly enough. Get to Work had a great idea (going to work with your sims) but poorly realised. The careers were fairly monotonous after a while and seemed broken and unpolished, though the science one was quite fun overall. I'm also very disappointed there were only three. Pretty lazy if you ask me, it felt half done. EPs for previous sims games would have concentrated on many more live careers and ditched the retail bit. That afterall did have its own pack in the Sims 2 and it needed to in order to be fully developed. That actually brings me to the retail. Compared to the Sims 2 it was atrocious. Stripped of everything that made it good in S2, it was buggy, tedious and really difficult to make any money. Was not fun in the slightest, hence I've only tried doing retail once or twice. I think they were trying to put too many different ideas into GTW and they all suffered being too shallow and unfinished as a result.

City Living I really really was not impressed with. I was sort of excited when it was announced (along with feeling perplexed at why they'd gone for another nightlife-esque pack when I thought GT was the city pack and people clearly want things like Pets and Seasons), but pretty horrified as the announcements came about limitations and the endless excuses. I was so horrified decided I would not buy it unless it was at least half price in a sale. Eventually got it at half price but it was such a disappointment. They seem to have spent all their time and money on making the city look good and neglected everything else. Yes it might look impressive, but there's barely any lots, none of which come free to build on, it feels very empty, each district feels and looks the same and you can't go to many areas that look city-like (eg the bustling shopping areas in the distance, the subways etc). The city is extremely lacking. The apartments were awful, playing them felt no different to playing a normal house lot. No landlord to casually chat to, no NPC roommates, no communal areas, a loading screen to see your neighbour, only two or three other apartments in the block, elevators aren't proper elevators, and most importantly not being able to build any, or even move them or place them in different worlds. I mean what the heck! The S2 Apartment Life had all of those things, plus a hugs huge world with absolutely loads of pre built apartments to choose from, and it's nearly 10 years old! And they managed to fit in magic as well. As I said there's no reason why they couldn't have put these in a much newer game, so I do not buy any of the excuses. No matter how hard I tried I could not put the fact that the Sims 2 did it so much better out of my head, and I really did not enjoy CL. I even feel paying £15 for it was too much. It's one of the reasons I've given up playing S4 unless they bring out a good EP. The game packs have started getting better and toddlers are back, but I feel it's too little too late. Whether I continue playing or not rests on how good the new EP is. However judging from their current record on EPs, I'm not holding my breath (If it IS pets, then I fully expect it to have less in it than S2 pets). For now I'm back to S2 playing AL and loving it.

I wish could give you 10 more "Awesome" rates.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimSaraSimSara Posts: 534 Member
    edited July 2017
    DyingLight wrote: »
    I think some GPs are better than the EPs... And that is not a good thing to me. :neutral: City living had so much potential, I can't believe it took them an entire year to release it, but it turned out to be meh. GT is my favorite because it added a lot of new things and features and GTW has no replay value IMO.

Yah City living to me was disappointing. Not that I don't like, or regret buying it.It seems like they pendthemost time designing the world . Then the features in the world.

I 100% agree with this. I wish they would've spent more time on the features and making it more communal. I think the worlds are a bit over the top and kinda confusing to navigate, there's a lot of empty area too which makes them feel bland to me. The spice district is great, but the others are "meh". When I first heard about this EP I was excited and thought it would be my favorite but that's not the case. I can't say I've been blown away by any EP... there are things I like/don't like about each and the things I do like have been bugged forever.

I also think that some of the GP's are better than the EP's. I'm more optimistic about the next GP than I am for the next EP.

• Lolli999Lolli999 Posts: 19 Member
    When buying a sims game i get really excited, new stuff! But these last games especially the EP's i feel extremly riped off. It's like buying so few things, when expecting more. In the old EP's in TS3 and TS2 you got a lot of new funiture.

This makes me not want to buy some of the EP's, which is kind a sad, since i really want for the game to be amazing!
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    I have to admit I prefer the game packs. I loved Get To Work, but found the retail system petty unpolished. I haven't explored Get Together enough yet to see if that system is different.

For the price, I find the value of the game packs far exceeds what you get out of an Expansion Pack.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    I have to admit I prefer the game packs. I loved Get To Work, but found the retail system petty unpolished. I haven't explored Get Together enough yet to see if that system is different.

For the price, I find the value of the game packs far exceeds what you get out of an Expansion Pack.
    That's because you can't compare TS4 EP's to the EP's of the predecessors.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited August 2017
    Karilan wrote: »

It's neat, but not always reliable. Clubs have a "do and don't do" function but I find that members won't always do the same things, they never do things 'together' autonomously; some will do actions not listed as a club activity, and some will (rarely) perform forbidden actions, however if you don't choose to scold them nothing happens, and if you scold them nothing happens. For instance, I created a club who's only activities were dancing and woohoo with other club members, and dancing is the only action that ever occurred. Conceptually, it sounds like a great tool but it's execution does leave room for improvement in many areas.

I too find Gp's more valuable than EP's (minus outdoor retreat). GTW imo is the strongest EP(even though it's mostly linear gameplay and retail is far from fleshed out), and every one since has been more disappointing than the last.
  • fluffykinsfluffykins Posts: 37 Member
    I would like to see less stuff packs and more expansion packs
  • ZoaeaZoaea Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2017
    You know, games cost the same or close to it compared to 20 years ago. It seems like big box games were 60$. When you keep selling a product without increasing the price yearly with inflation, you end up selling less product. For example, chocolate bars have been near a 1$ (US) for close to 30 years. They keep making the bars thinner, and lighter.

People in this thread keep mentioning that it's like they don't get as much as they used to for their dollar. You posters are right. Personally I wish games had kept inflating. Now you just get watered down games. And I mean all game producers not just sims (I didn't play sims before this spring).

Litterally a game you paid 60$ for in 2000 should cost about 85$ today.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Zoaea wrote: »
    You know, games cost the same or close to it compared to 20 years ago. It seems like big box games were 60$. When you keep selling a product without increasing the price yearly with inflation, you end up selling less product. For example, chocolate bars have been near a 1$ (US) for close to 30 years. They keep making the bars thinner, and lighter.

People in this thread keep mentioning that it's like they don't get as much as they used to for their dollar. You posters are right. Personally I wish games had kept inflating. Now you just get watered down games. And I mean all game producers not just sims (I didn't play sims before this spring).

Litterally a game you paid 60$ for in 2000 should cost about 85$ today.

Not quite. Console games have always been expensive for as far back as I can remember. But I can remember a day when chocolate bars were far less than $1 and PC games averaged around $30.

That's all inconsequential though. Inflation is what it is. Have chocolate bars really gotten thinner? I haven't noticed. They seem the same to me and they cost more too. But I'm not really a chocolate fan. Maybe I just didn't notice.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    Off topic but where I live the weight of chocolate bars is on the wrapper :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Off topic but where I live the weight of chocolate bars is on the wrapper :mrgreen:

They are here too. I just never really paid attention to it. *shrugs*
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

They are here too. I just never really paid attention to it. *shrugs*
    Me neither, nor to the calories B)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ZoaeaZoaea Posts: 79 Member
    I'm a chocolate obsessed person, so I did notice, but there are also articles around. Usually due to outrage when ever something silly happens, like changing the shape of toberlone so that it has less. ='( *sniffles*
    Lol. Calories are a myth!

Ah. I was aware they changed the ingredients for the Cadbury cream eggs and it upset people. Those, I have suspected are smaller than they used to be. Never really thought about it though.