Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fitness Stuff was a wasted opportunity

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I thought Spa Day was pretty nice, actually

I agree spa day was really really nice, but I've heard complaints about how Spa Day is a waste of money because they rarely use to spa items

Yeah, I guess subjectively, it depends on how much a player uses a certain pack. I think Spa Day lives up to its theme, and it depends on the player if they're going to use it a lot or not. Fitness could've used some more gym equipment types IMO, but I guess some players already like the offered items as it is and would probably use it a lot.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    I personally find GPs more appealing than SPs but again I don't think these two types of packs are directly comparable because they are somewhat different in terms of what they actually add to the game itself.

Most of the players have probably pointed out that the game developers are now releasing SPs as those store items they used to sell on the sims 3 store website that contains items that are far more specific, and as many of you have already mentioned, may not necessarily appeal to all players. What EA is trying to do with the SPs is more like a tinier, more 'timid' approach to reintroduce those previous 'premium contents' from the sims 3 store that are way too overpriced.

I'm not currently planning on spending any more money on SPs myself unless I find something that looks really fatanstic (like agh I really need this in my game this is so good) or useful to my casual simming because some third party contents released by the simming community on Tumblr are just way too better in terms of quality than the official ones.

Finally, I think LGR's done a great job summing up his review of this pack with this sentence: 'Get a $10 burger instead, it'll make you happier'.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

I agree spa day was really really nice, but I've heard complaints about how Spa Day is a waste of money because they rarely use to spa items
    It's funny that Spa Day added more athletic wear than Fitness Stuff...

And I actually really like Spa Day and find it's moodlet-giving stuff very useful for TS4, plus it came out on my birthday so that was nice. :wink:
    ChocoCub wrote: »
    I personally find GPs more appealing than SPs but again I don't think these two types of packs are directly comparable because they are somewhat different in terms of what they actually add to the game itself.

Most of the players have probably pointed out that the game developers are now releasing SPs as those store items they used to sell on the sims 3 store website that contains items that are far more specific, and as many of you have already mentioned, may not necessarily appeal to all players. What EA is trying to do with the SPs is more like a tinier, more 'timid' approach to reintroduce those previous 'premium contents' from the sims 3 store that are way too overpriced.

I'm not currently planning on spending any more money on SPs myself unless I find something that looks really fatanstic (like agh I really need this in my game this is so good) or useful to my casual simming because some third party contents released by the simming community on Tumblr are just way too better in terms of quality than the official ones.

Finally, I think LGR's done a great job summing up his review of this pack with this sentence: 'Get a $10 burger instead, it'll make you happier'.

I love LGR. :D
    Omri147 wrote: »

It's funny that Spa Day added more athletic wear than Fitness Stuff...

And I actually really like Spa Day and find it's moodlet-giving stuff very useful for TS4, plus it came out on my birthday so that was nice. :wink:

Well, to be fair, Spa Day is a GP, so content-wise it's bound to have more CAS items than any SP.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Sure, the climbing wall is nice, but I just thought it could've benefited from more gym equipment. Pull up bars, free weights, stairmasters, and climbing machines. It also features aerobics videos on TV, but even Sims 2 had that, and they're not as complex as actual equipment.

It's good that SPs are cheap and contain at least one item with new gameplay, but I just think each SP theme could tap more potential to make that $10 price tag worth it. So far, the one with the best value for me is Backyard. The others have CAS and build items that I like, but are just okay in terms of value.

I have to agree because of the theme of the Pack, should have been more fitness items even if it is boring. Also, there is no weight gauge to monitor an Sims weight as it was in Sims 2 and I think it is vital if you have an Sim that lives and breathe fitness. What may be boring for one may be exciting for another, it is all about choice. However, it is an SP after all and it is cheap.

Well, I don't mind too much that the UI doesn't display fitness parameters. Maybe a weighing scale object or body composition monitor would've fit right in the theme
    That would work too.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2017
    CK213 wrote: »
    It seems people want Stuff Packs to be Game Packs.
    More fitness objects requires more animations and that moves you to Game Pack territory.

Stuff packs used to be $20 with no new game play, so what we have isn't all that bad compared to what we used to get.
    But perhaps EA should just dump Stuff Packs and try to crank out an extra game pack or two per year.
    May be true but EA/Maxis appeared to change the structure of SPs and the inclusion of barbells, dumbells, etc would still fit in the theme of this SP they may not require much animation than the climbing rock. I rather have those fitness items than furniture being the theme is fitness.

Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    I agree sp are really niche packs. Some will like it, and others will not. I personally am a real gym lover in real life (like huge workout enthusiast), but this pack has to be my least favorite sp. I think it's cause the furniture also was not really up my alley.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited June 2017
    Karallyne wrote: »
    Let me start off by saying that I think they went in a poor direction with the Fitness stuff pack.
    That said, I think most of the other stuff packs are pretty good. Taking out some of the earlier ones like luxury party and spooky stuff.
    The thing about stuff packs to me is that they aren't meant to appeal to every player, they're made for people to pick and choose elements they'd like to add to their game, not with the expectation that every player is going to like every stuff pack. Like when you said you thought backyard stuff has the best value, I kind of chuckled because I almost never use the stuff from that pack. Ever. But that's the thing, even though for me it was not a great value, it was for you. I'm certain people feel the same way about other packs.

That's true. The SPs are more of a stand-in for the Sims 2 and 3 store, rather than a follow-up to the old SP model, so they tend to appeal to specific niches. Someone like me would think Backyard has great value because I think the water slide, pitcher, bird feeder, and CAS items are good additions. Someone else would think Bowling has good value because they love bowling. As a matter of fact, I do like what most of the SPs offer--it's just that I think a lot of them can still be fleshed out. I mean, the bowling pack looks nice, but it seems too singular, I guess? Like they based an SP around one single activity than a slightly more general theme. At least that's my take on it.

I guess if we think of them as the equivalent of Sims 3 store sets, they have better value (1500 simpoints is around $30, which is how much certain premium sets cost). But still, there's nothing wrong with getting the most out of an SP theme.

I love stuff packs. I never bought sims 3 store items. I bought Fitness for the CAS and buy items and I am not disappointed and I don't feel like I wasted a single dollar . I love the new clothing too :) #winwin And I wasn't going to buy it at first but then I saw the light o:)

• JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I have to agree with the OP...
    Personally, I've felt they missed the mark with Fitness Stuff. It feels more like a modern furniture themed pack with a climbing wall and fitness clothing thrown in. I would've much rather seen an exercise bike and pull-up bar included along with more gym themed décor items (i.e. gym bags, workout posters, energy bar displays, and maybe a changing bench for the locker rooms).
  • Angela_4588Angela_4588 Posts: 246 Member
    They should have added a bike that you could ride around your neighborhood. Instead of going on a jog all the time you could go on a bike ride. A stationary bike would be cool too.
    Gallery Username : XInspiredAngelX
  • AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    I think more gym equipment would have been boring. We already have several of them to choose from, and unless you're into gym irl, there's nothing more similar than two gym equipments where you're lifting heavy things. So I'm really happy they went for something different (climbing) and I'm also happy we got earbuds and TVs which are far more relatable fitness activities for me than more gym equipments.

In real life i teach advance challenged yoga poses and I'm very much into fitness and even i think more equipment would be a bit boring however {unless i am doing something wrong} i really wish i could add the tv workouts in my fitness club/group and have all of them doing it at the same time :( because when I add it to my group as an activity {workout} they all run off in different directions jogging doing sit ups or push ups outside and the sim i am controlling can't ask them to join in :'( I would love more fitness "group" activities if i wanted to add a complaint but other then that I LOVE IT <3
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2017
    I still hope the upcoming packs will bring back
    • Exercise bike (TS2 EP7 FreeTime)
    • Jumping rope (TS2 EP8 Apartment Life)
    • Trampoline (TS3 EP02 Ambitions)
    • Pull-up bar (TS3 EP06 Showtime)
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm not a climbing wall fan(had it in S3 and didn't use it much) and had hoped for some actual machines. We got stuff, but no machines at all to put in a traditional gym. I wanted a stepper, chin up bar, stationary bike, mountain climber machine, or fitness flyer type of exercise equipment. I'm hoping that they add these things in the future.

Yes the dumbells décor would've been really nice and the dumbbells and an exercise ball.

I liked the single bench type thing above and the glass table along with the hair and one of the pants, but I really would've been happy with real equipment. LeGardePourpre, I love the pic above and that was how I envisioned a gym type add on and I would've been over the moon for that. I haven't looked at the pack in game yet and I may like more of it, but as OP said, I really wanted a pack with everything gym related/belonging right in the gym room and with machines. :)

I still hope the upcoming packs will bring back
    • Exercise bike (TS2 EP7 FreeTime)
    • Jumping rope (TS2 EP8 Apartment Life)
    • Trampoline (TS3 EP02 Ambitions)
    • Pull-up bar (TS3 EP06 Showtime)
    Sure, the climbing wall is nice, but I just thought it could've benefited from more gym equipment. Pull up bars, free weights, stairmasters, and climbing machines. It also features aerobics videos on TV, but even Sims 2 had that, and they're not as complex as actual equipment.

It's good that SPs are cheap and contain at least one item with new gameplay, but I just think each SP theme could tap more potential to make that $10 price tag worth it. So far, the one with the best value for me is Backyard. The others have CAS and build items that I like, but are just okay in terms of value.
    The new gameplay and the CAS content are interesting , I regret the objects ignore the theme, they could be in any Stuff Pack.

How a chair, a sofa, a table and a bookshelf can be Fitness objects ? Seriously !

3c2a8647-00258a53-000258a5.jpg3c2a8647-00258af3-000258af.jpg3c2a8647-00258bc3-000258bc.jpg3c2a8647-00258c93-000258c9.jpg3c2a8647-00258893-00025889.jpg3c2a8647-00258e53-000258e5.jpg
    SP team was less inspired by the Fitness theme, there is no decorative object like dumbbell rack
    sims3u10.jpg
  • TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    This SP is nice but the name seems to be wrong. There are 4 things related to fitness in this: A new treadmill, clothes, the tv exercise and the Climb Wall. The earbuds is useless to fitness. They was coded to music lovers only. The new objects are beautiful, but fitness? no. They aren't fitness.

I think that there are a design conception problem happening in the Sims Team.

They are defining themes and choosing incorrectly what it could brings. Fitness is an exemple of this and put a laundry in an eco stuff pack is another exemple.

This design process problem is even worse with the earbuds. Since TS1 when a sim is listening to music the fun bar is filled up. This is so basic in the game series that this relation should've never been cut off. If it is overpowered, in a design process, you would create something to balance it instead of cutting off such a basic relation.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    For a pack supposedly about fitness, there was very little fitness in it. Such a grand opportunity to add a whole lot of extra items/options, and they blew it! How could I have forgotten about the Sims2 obstacle course? DUH! Yes, that would have been great, and the tires, and rope climbing, dangling cargo net, log lifting (in partnership with other sims), log rolling (Sims2), Olympic style stuff like discuss, shot put, javelin, etc. Yeah, they missed a big opportunity big time!
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I disagree. I like that it's added an alternative to the main gyms that have been around since base game. I wouldn't have bought it if it was all about dumbbells and reskins of already existing work out equipment.

Welcome to Dharm's Rock Climbing World

NZXzC8K.png

x8efxSe.png

LTKy6WH.png
  • TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I disagree. I like that it's added an alternative to the main gyms that have been around since base game. I wouldn't have bought it if it was all about dumbbells and reskins of already existing work out equipment.

NZXzC8K.png

x8efxSe.png

LTKy6WH.png

How many objects from Fitness stuff pack did you use in this lot?
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited July 2017
    Tutano wrote: »

NZXzC8K.png

x8efxSe.png

LTKy6WH.png

The rock wall and the new treadmills and weight lifts. That's it. This lot is all about rock climbing. And some yoga. Ohhhmmmm. It's the focus.

ETA: But I LOVE the new dining set! It's in use in many of my residential lots.
    I like some of the ideas here, btw. Maybe in a future pack we can have some of these things

• SimAppleSimApple Posts: 27 Member
    > @CitySimmer16 said:
    > icmnfrsh wrote: »
    >
    > I thought Spa Day was pretty nice, actually
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree spa day was really really nice, but I've heard complaints about how Spa Day is a waste of money because they rarely use to spa items

Most of the feedback ive seen about spa day is positive. how much content gets used is up to the player. i use spa day rather often. if those "complainers" don't use the spa day items, because yoga doesn't appeal to them for example, then I wonder why they bought the pack in the first place.
    edited July 2017
    The climbing wall could be an activity at Granite Falls
    Some CAS content from GP01 Outdoor Retreat could match to it

3c1af1f2-00000102-00011be2.jpg3c1af1f2-00000102-00011e82.jpg

@fullspiral
    Tutano wrote: »
    The rock wall and the new treadmills and weight lifts.

Good point, Tutano shows the SP11 Fitness Stuff is useless except for the 3 fitness objects (30 objects in the trash bin)

"it's added an alternative to the main gyms" but you ignored 90% of the objects of the pack so decorative dumbbells could be added.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 298 Member
    edited July 2017
    Think my biggest issue not with the wall, but rather i would have wished they added more abilities to tie packs together so they worked better harmoniously. In other words to make lots where activities are feel more interesting to visit, but also helping conserving space in the limited amount of possible lots available. At the rate they push out stuff pack with additional gameplay items you will eventually need to compress them into a few lots, in order to able to enjoy them all.

Then i guess like some said would loved to see weight decor and stuff like to feel more workout like, but i am perfectly fine with wall itself, think unless you made spinning with big video screens or something fun like that. Traditional workout items would not been entertaining for the pack, i mean you often have to watch sims during activities unless you have a home gym. How many want to sit watch a sim lift free weights from a bench or ride a fitness bike etc, less they found a way to make it look interesting and entertaining. I doubt it would'nt be that many aside from a few hardcore fitness enthusiast.

If not the wall then they should probably made dance workout instead like Zumba.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    @fullspiral The climbing wall could be an activity at Granite Falls

Some CAS content from GP01 Outdoor Retreat match to it

3c1af1f2-00000102-00011be2.jpg3c1af1f2-00000102-00011e82.jpg
    yes, Granite Falls would be good but I rather a real-looking mountain to climb. That is in Outdoor Retreat. Indoor Workout stuff in the Woods, that would take a long extension cord. and rated for outdoor use. Then what if it rains or your feet are wet from crossing the river. Grand Reaper time. lol
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
    edited July 2017
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    @Stormsview

Granite Falls is also a good place for outdoor yoga, sauna cabin and hot tub.

I compleatly replaced my Woods in Granite Falls, So I have all that and more. Now I will replace the cabin's :)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top