Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fitness Stuff was a wasted opportunity

Sure, the climbing wall is nice, but I just thought it could've benefited from more gym equipment. Pull up bars, free weights, stairmasters, and climbing machines. It also features aerobics videos on TV, but even Sims 2 had that, and they're not as complex as actual equipment.

It's good that SPs are cheap and contain at least one item with new gameplay, but I just think each SP theme could tap more potential to make that $10 price tag worth it. So far, the one with the best value for me is Backyard. The others have CAS and build items that I like, but are just okay in terms of value.
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?

Comments

• Options
    KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    Let me start off by saying that I think they went in a poor direction with the Fitness stuff pack.
    That said, I think most of the other stuff packs are pretty good. Taking out some of the earlier ones like luxury party and spooky stuff.
    The thing about stuff packs to me is that they aren't meant to appeal to every player, they're made for people to pick and choose elements they'd like to add to their game, not with the expectation that every player is going to like every stuff pack. Like when you said you thought backyard stuff has the best value, I kind of chuckled because I almost never use the stuff from that pack. Ever. But that's the thing, even though for me it was not a great value, it was for you. I'm certain people feel the same way about other packs.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think more gym equipment would have been boring. We already have several of them to choose from, and unless you're into gym irl, there's nothing more similar than two gym equipments where you're lifting heavy things. So I'm really happy they went for something different (climbing) and I'm also happy we got earbuds and TVs which are far more relatable fitness activities for me than more gym equipments.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Karallyne wrote: »
    Let me start off by saying that I think they went in a poor direction with the Fitness stuff pack.
    That said, I think most of the other stuff packs are pretty good. Taking out some of the earlier ones like luxury party and spooky stuff.
    The thing about stuff packs to me is that they aren't meant to appeal to every player, they're made for people to pick and choose elements they'd like to add to their game, not with the expectation that every player is going to like every stuff pack. Like when you said you thought backyard stuff has the best value, I kind of chuckled because I almost never use the stuff from that pack. Ever. But that's the thing, even though for me it was not a great value, it was for you. I'm certain people feel the same way about other packs.

That's true. The SPs are more of a stand-in for the Sims 2 and 3 store, rather than a follow-up to the old SP model, so they tend to appeal to specific niches. Someone like me would think Backyard has great value because I think the water slide, pitcher, bird feeder, and CAS items are good additions. Someone else would think Bowling has good value because they love bowling. As a matter of fact, I do like what most of the SPs offer--it's just that I think a lot of them can still be fleshed out. I mean, the bowling pack looks nice, but it seems too singular, I guess? Like they based an SP around one single activity than a slightly more general theme. At least that's my take on it.

I guess if we think of them as the equivalent of Sims 3 store sets, they have better value (1500 simpoints is around $30, which is how much certain premium sets cost). But still, there's nothing wrong with getting the most out of an SP theme.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    I think more gym equipment would have been boring. We already have several of them to choose from, and unless you're into gym irl, there's nothing more similar than two gym equipments where you're lifting heavy things. So I'm really happy they went for something different (climbing) and I'm also happy we got earbuds and TVs which are far more relatable fitness activities for me than more gym equipments.

Personally, I would've preferred the climbing wall in addition to new gym equipment. From what I've seen, the pack contains a new weight machine and treadmill, but they're just reskinned versions of objects that already exist in the game.

• Options
    DyingLight wrote: »
    A static bike and dumbbells wouldn't been awesome instead of the climbing wall. And not too complicated. I want normal things that people use on their everyday lives. Call me boring. :confused:

Yeah, even a bike would be nice. Sims 2 had one in FreeTime, I think, so it would've been okay for them to recycle some things there.

• Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Our New Fitness Pack is and Excellent Pack, it is and Excellent addition to our game packs.

What I can see from icmnfrsh, Neia and Karallyne , also me Stormsview.comments is that they/we knew/know very little about this pack. so take one object from the pack and speak on that, or what you have heard. maybe they tried the parts they speak of ?. It does not seem like it to me.
    1) aerobics lol no aerobics so first go check it out before you say it's the same as TS2.
    2) more gym equipment would have been boring, we do have more gym equipment, check it out. but they are nice, one with new features.
    3) I think they went in a poor direction with the Fitness stuff pack... now a smart person would say that (smart people can go to an office meeting and talk about things they know nothing about all the time. now I know Karallyne will get me for this lol. she knows its true. But is smart enough to change the subject fast lol. and she did. started talking about what she did know about. good move.
    . The fitness pack, wall climbing is a nice addition to our fitness. it's so nice and futuristic
    But the pack also have a new full bathroom, new windows all beautiful, also new dining table with new chairs, not too big like I.. Stormsview said lol, in and earlier post. I did not check it out first. beautiful new lights, new sitting lounge. check it out you may change your mind. check out the pack.... even when trying to defend the pack they can not because they have not checked it out fully.

And we need to stop putting things down that we know little about. Perhaps even commenting on things we have not even used. or saw in the game . Why did I include myself because I was just like them putting down a pack from looking at pictures. so I saw this discussion and instead of adding my comment I decided to go into the game and first go to a lot and put down all in the pack set it up and have sims to use it. and I also use the beautiful textures. Then I invited a group of friends to use the things even eating lunch on the beautiful dining table. they used all of the parts in the pack. then :(
    Guilt came over me. because of what I had said in a different post. The reason I return and say its and excellent pack. with so much in it that we can use and lots of new clothing. Someone worked hard on this And it's getting put down for no reason.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2017
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Sure, the climbing wall is nice, but I just thought it could've benefited from more gym equipment. Pull up bars, free weights, stairmasters, and climbing machines. It also features aerobics videos on TV, but even Sims 2 had that, and they're not as complex as actual equipment.

It's good that SPs are cheap and contain at least one item with new gameplay, but I just think each SP theme could tap more potential to make that $10 price tag worth it. So far, the one with the best value for me is Backyard. The others have CAS and build items that I like, but are just okay in terms of value.

I have to agree because of the theme of the Pack, should have been more fitness items even if it is boring. Also, there is no weight gauge to monitor an Sims weight as it was in Sims 2 and I think it is vital if you have an Sim that lives and breathe fitness. What may be boring for one may be exciting for another, it is all about choice. However, it is an SP after all and it is cheap.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

I have to agree because of the theme of the Pack, should have been more fitness items even if it is boring. Also, there is no weight gauge to monitor an Sims weight as it was in Sims 2 and I think it is vital if you have an Sim that lives and breathe fitness. What may be boring for one may be exciting for another, it is all about choice. However, it is an SP after all and it is cheap.

Well, I don't mind too much that the UI doesn't display fitness parameters. Maybe a weighing scale object or body composition monitor would've fit right in the theme

• Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    I love the furniture in this pack.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    It seems people want Stuff Packs to be Game Packs.
    More fitness objects requires more animations and that moves you to Game Pack territory.

Stuff packs used to be $20 with no new game play, so what we have isn't all that bad compared to what we used to get.
    But perhaps EA should just dump Stuff Packs and try to crank out an extra game pack or two per year.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »
    It seems people want Stuff Packs to be Game Packs.
    More fitness objects requires more animations and that moves you to Game Pack territory.

Stuff packs used to be $20 with no new game play, so what we have isn't all that bad compared to what we used to get.
    But perhaps EA should just dump Stuff Packs and try to crank out an extra game pack or two per year.

Well, I wouldn't mind extra game packs. They're great. Although they actually have a lot of new gameplay. A few new equipment with new animations would probably fall within the domain of stuff packs

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited June 2017
    I like having SPs as an option because of the price point and the ability to combine them with other content. By that I mean, they are there if someone wants to add some new content to their game for, as has been recently pointed out, the price of a high-end burger. Someone can pick up a couple of them or a bundle with a GP or something. I think the option is fine and I wouldn't argue for getting rid of lower price point content as an option. They are just there as ways to customize.

GPs serve their own purpose; I'm definitely not going to bash GPs. I don't think this needs to be a case of SPs vs. GPs. They are all just options for players to choose from at different price points. I'm not in favor of removing choices for players. EA are certainly evaluating costs and sales figures in determining future strategy. This series is still playing catch up after a fairly slow start in terms of content release. It has picked up the pace this year especially in the direction of family play. Clearly players are feeling a bit impatient for some of the big content that is outstanding (yet to be released) and the impatience for that sometimes results in impatience with SPs that come out faster.

That said, yes, I'd have liked to see more types of fitness equipment in this SP. I'm still on the fence about it but I only have a few SPs right now. I do plan to acquire more from time to time though. I do generally like the content from SPs and I use that content regularly. I like being able to mix in varied content from across the packs I have and I like discovering some of the stuff as I go along. In a rotation, I use different types of content including things that I might not otherwise pick that I end up getting with a pack.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    > @Stormsview said:

> 3) I think they went in a poor direction with the Fitness stuff pack... now a smart person would say that (smart people can go to an office meeting and talk about things they know nothing about all the time. now I know Karallyne will get me for this lol. she knows its true. But is smart enough to change the subject fast lol. and she did. started talking about what she did know about. good move.
    >
    >

I actually got a good laugh from this, thanks xD
  • Options
    I like having SPs as an option because of the price point and the ability to combine them with other content. By that I mean, they are there if someone wants to add some new content to their game for, as has been recently pointed out, the price of a high-end burger. Someone can pick up a couple of them or a bundle with a GP or something. I think the option is fine and I wouldn't argue for getting rid of lower price point content as an option. They are just there as ways to customize.

GPs serve their own purpose; I'm definitely not going to bash GPs. I don't think this needs to be a case of SPs vs. GPs. They are all just options for players to choose from at different price points. I'm not in favor of removing choices for players. EA are certainly evaluating costs and sales figures in determining future strategy. This series is still playing catch up after a fairly slow start in terms of content release. It has picked up the pace this year especially in the direction of family play. Clearly players are feeling a bit impatient for some of the big content that is outstanding (yet to be released) and the impatience for that sometimes results in impatience with SPs that come out faster.

That said, yes, I'd have liked to see more types of fitness equipment in this SP. I'm still on the fence about it but I only have a few SPs right now. I do plan to acquire more from time to time though. I do generally like the content from SPs and I use that content regularly. I like being able to mix in varied content from across the packs I have and I like discovering some of the stuff as I go along. In a rotation, I use different types of content including things that I might not otherwise pick that I end up getting with a pack.

Yeah, I think the Fitness pack is okay actually, but I just don't think it's worth getting right now. I have some of the SPs, and generally I do appreciate what they offer. Maybe if Fitness had introduced more unique items, I'd have gotten it at once.

• Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    > @Karallyne said:
    > > @Stormsview said:
    >
    > > 3) I think they went in a poor direction with the Fitness stuff pack... now a smart person would say that (smart people can go to an office meeting and talk about things they know nothing about all the time. now I know Karallyne will get me for this lol. she knows its true. But is smart enough to change the subject fast lol. and she did. started talking about what she did know about. good move.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > I actually got a good laugh from this, thanks xD
    >
    >
    :)
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Agreed completely
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2017
    The new gameplay and the CAS content are interesting , I regret the objects ignore the theme, they could be in any Stuff Pack.

How a chair, a sofa, a table and a bookshelf can be Fitness objects ? Seriously !

3c2a8647-00258a53-000258a5.jpg3c2a8647-00258af3-000258af.jpg3c2a8647-00258bc3-000258bc.jpg3c2a8647-00258c93-000258c9.jpg3c2a8647-00258893-00025889.jpg3c2a8647-00258e53-000258e5.jpg
    SP team was less inspired by the Fitness theme, there is no decorative object like dumbbell rack

sims3u10.jpg
    If I compare SP10 Bowling Night Stuff and SP11 Fitness Stuff, SP10 got more decorative objects about the theme.
    As if SP11 was about Fitness by accident.

3c2a8647-002416e3-0002416e.jpg3c2a8647-00241663-00024166.jpg3c2a8647-00241b73-000241b7.jpg3c2a8647-00284853-00028485.jpg3c2a8647-00241303-00024130.jpg3c2a8647-00238883-00023888.jpg3c2a8647-00275413-00027541.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The so-called 'fitness pack' should have been titled 'modern furniture pack' because that is what it mostly is. There is more fitness in the center illustration in the post above mine than the pack ever thought of having. For shame, EA!
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I am really enjoying fitness stuff, which is kind of ironic because I wasn't that excited about it.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I wish it had been a military course of objects for Sims as a precursor to the military career. Instead of that modern day wall to climb how about something like the military uses?>TS2, I digress. How about some courses on a venue lot where Sims have to run through those tires like football players and military? You know outside the box of ideas.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Thing is though, its gonna end up being the Spa Day of stuff packs. People will use the Fitness SP for house building, which sounds awesome to me to be honest
    FFCOojX.gif
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I wish it had been a military course of objects for Sims as a precursor to the military career. Instead of that modern day wall to climb how about something like the military uses?>TS2, I digress. How about some courses on a venue lot where Sims have to run through those tires like football players and military? You know outside the box of ideas.

Oh, I miss the obstacle course from Sims 2! That would've been nice too
    Thing is though, its gonna end up being the Spa Day of stuff packs. People will use the Fitness SP for house building, which sounds awesome to me to be honest

I thought Spa Day was pretty nice, actually

• Options
    CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    I thought Spa Day was pretty nice, actually

I agree spa day was really really nice, but I've heard complaints about how Spa Day is a waste of money because they rarely use to spa items
    FFCOojX.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top