Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Pillars of Character (a Parenthood) Legacy Challenge

MicemSimsMicemSims Posts: 463 Member
The Pillars of Character Legacy Challenge is my Parenthood spin on the Legacy Challenge which was created by Pinstar, which you can find here.

This challenge will require the Parenthood Game Pack.

The Challenge
For your Sim to be eligible for heir, they must be in range to receive all the character value traits that you roll for them (which may be positive, negative or a mixture of both).

This allows for a bit more randomness and diversity in your children's personalities, as it's out of your hands.

This is a 10 generation challenge.

Creating Your Founder
• Your Sim must be a young adult. They can be either male or female.
• They can be an alien, vampire, mermaid, spellcaster or werewolf if you so wish.
• Your Sim may have any 3 traits of your choice.
• Your Sim may have any aspiration of your choice.
• Your founder will not have any character value traits as they were created in CAS.
• They must be the only Sim in the household.

Getting Started
• Create a new save. Your legacy family will be the only family that you will play.
• Ageing must be turned on, including for unplayed households.
• Your founder may move into any lot no matter the cost but if you want more of a challenge you may start with either a starter home using the starter funds or starting traditional legacy style by either..
a. Purchasing a 50x50 lot and purchasing the Knight of the Octagon Table.
b. Purchasing a 64x64 lot and purchasing two Points of Enmity and one Von-Windenburg's Trap, if you have Get Together.
• You can also start out by playing the Extreme Legacy starting point if you have Get Together..
1. Purchase a 64x64 lot, which will leave you with §8,000, but you will have to deduct your money down to §0.
2. To do this turn testingcheats on and enter the cheat "money 0" without the quote marks.
3. You cannot buy or build anything until you earn enough money to buy the Knight of the Octagon Table, which costs §8,200.
4. Once the Knight has been purchased the challenge can start as per usual.
5. The Knight must be purchased before the first set of bills arrive.
The two legacy starting styles, excluding the Extreme version, should leave you with the starting funds of §1,800.
• Once you have moved your Sim into their new lot you may not use anymore money cheats, so you should spend your money wisely. The higher the cost, the higher the bills.
• You may not use any cheats other than to reset your Sim or an object.
• Mods and custom content are allowed, but only if they do not give you an advantage over other players. Create-a-Sim custom content for example is fine. MC Command Center is also allowed if you want to add story progression to your worlds.

The Rules
• You do not strictly have to apply the traditional Legacy Challenge rules to this challenge, but if you wish you may do so. For example, you can choose to do a succession law etc. but it is not mandatory.
• Your Sim may marry whomever you want but you may not pick and adjust their traits yourself.
• Spouses cannot bring in any money with them when they move into the legacy house.
• You may only use an anti-ageing solution ONCE per Sim.
• No restarting after bad events.
• For an added challenge/bonus, every generation you must roll for 3 randomised lot traits and/or lot challenges. You can find a lot trait generator here. Change the values to be, "Generate between 3 and 3 lot traits". You do not have to do this if you don't want to.
• You may adopt a baby, toddler or child if you wish. It is up to you if you want to include them in the heir pool.
• You must randomise all aspirations and (regular) traits. You can use this aspiration & trait generator here.
• Before you start the challenge you must decide if you want to roll for 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 character value traits. This number must remain consistent through out all 10 generations.
• Once a child is born or when they become a toddler (it's up to you), you must randomise the character value traits that they will have to earn. If you choose to do 3 traits, you will roll between 1-10 three times using the following list as a guide:

1. Bad Manners (Manners)
2. Good Manners (Manners)
3. Irresponsible (Responsibility)
4. Responsible (Responsibility)
5. Argumentative (Conflict Resolution)
6. Mediator (Conflict Resolution)
7. Insensitive (Empathy)
8. Compassionate (Empathy)
9. Uncontrolled Emotions (Emotional Control)
10. Emotional Control (Emotional Control)

• Note down the character value traits each child rolls.
• If you randomise conflicting character value traits roll again, but you have to stick with the first trait you get. So if you roll bad manners first and then roll good manners, you MUST keep bad manners.
• Your Sim can have more than the chosen number of character value traits when they age up, but any other character value traits that your Sim receives do not count towards the challenge if you did not roll them.
• For example, you chose to do 3 character value traits & your Sim rolls bad manners, compassionate and responsible, and they receive four character value traits upon ageing up but none of them were bad manners then they cannot become heir. They must receive all rolled character value traits to be eligible.
• You must do this for every child born to each heir, and if you are including adopted children in your heir pool you will also have to roll for them.
• As another added challenge/bonus, for your child to become heir they must unlock the Happy Toddler reward trait (all toddler skills to level 3) or the Top Notch Toddler reward trait (all toddler skills maxed) in addition to earning their rolled character value traits. If you choose to do this, this again must remain consistent throughout the challenge.
• The challenge ends once the 10th generation is born.

I hope you enjoy this challenge if you decide to try it, and I'm open to any feedback or suggestions.
Post edited by MicemSims on

Comments

• BorntorunBorntorun Posts: 76 Member
    Sounds great - can't wait to try with the new parenthood pack!
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @MicemSims - This is an awesome challenge; definitely will try it. I have a couple of questions though:

1). If the Founder starts with the starter home & not the traditional legacy start are you allowed to move houses as your family grows (as long as you have the money to do so)? Just curious as a 20x15 home, is pretty small to have to stay there the entire challenge. Also can you have an apartment if you have the City Living EP? & if not playing the traditional legacy, any rules on moving houses? I like to move houses per generation (if not playing traditional legacy).

2). What happens if none of the founders children are in range to obtain the 3 random character traits when they aged up, meaning none of the children are eligible to be heirs? Would the default traditional legacy succession laws apply at this point?

3). When does the next generation start? Is it when the heir ages to YA or when the founder dies?
  • MicemSimsMicemSims Posts: 463 Member
    @Borntorun Thank you! Hope you enjoy playing it. :smile:

@Sha2520032003

1) If you're doing the non-traditional legacy start, you can move homes as often as you like and you can live in an apartment or a penthouse if you have City Living.

2) In my mind when I was writing the challenge I was sort of basing this part off the Perfect Genetics challenge. So if none of the kids have the required character value traits when they age up, then they aren't eligible and you'd have to go on and have another child and hope you'd be able to get them to acquire their traits. But if your founders/previous heir were elders when their last child ages up to a young adult, meaning they can't have anymore children and none of their children have the traits, you can fall back to a succession law if you like, or admit defeat meaning you've failed the challenge. You can choose what is more challenging/fun for you to do. The possibility of failing the challenge gives me more incentive to work towards getting the character value traits they need. :smile:

3) Next generation begins when your heir becomes a young adult.

Hope that helped. :smile:
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @MicemSims - Thanks for the response. I have a few other questions. Sorry, not trying to make this complicated, but I've run into something that I didn't anticipate.
    So I have two children that are in range for their randomized character values. One teen is 2 days away from being a YA & the other teen is 5 days away from being a YA. Since the first born will get to YA first, is she automatically heir? Since both of my Sims kids are within range of their character values, I'm just trying to figure out how I would determine who would be heir? It doesn't seem fair for it to automatically go with the oldest kid, as of course she would get to YA first.

Is this where the Succession Laws from the original legacy challenge kick in? I picked them before I started the challenge, as a backup in case none of my Founder's children met their character values. So my succession laws are Equality, Modern, & Exemplar (Loves the Outdoors).

So the eldest teen does not have the Loves the Outdoors trait. The second teen does. So it seems that my second teen would end up being heir since she meets all the succession laws too? Is that right? I'm sorry, don't mean to make this complicated. I'm in Generation 1 & just confused on how the heir is chosen if you have multiple kids in range & eligible for heir? I'm assuming this would default to regular succession laws?

I LOVE this challenge by the way!!! Randomizing the character values and the traits can really add some great diversity depending on who is heir. My first teen is in range for Bad Manners, Responsible, & Mediator....but she has the mean and hates children traits. The second teen is in range for Bad Manners, Irresponsible, & Uncontrolled Emotions.... & she has the loves the outdoors and gloomy traits.

Would love to hear your thoughts - thanks!
    @Sha2520032003
    No worries, ask away. They're good questions. :)

If you choose do to the succession law route (rather than choosing to fail the challenge if no kids have their required character value traits), the succession laws will only fall into place if none of your children have their required character value traits when they become young adults, but because two of your children will be in range to receive their character value traits when they age up, this means they are both eligible to become heir and you don't have to fallback on the succession laws. You can freely choose who will be the next heir between these two Sims. I hope this clears some things up for you.

Thank you, I'm really glad you're enjoying the challenge so far! :smile: Oh wow, you're going to have a wild ride no matter which one you choose to become heir! :lol: It should definitely be a fun wild ride though.
  • ptxabbyptxabby Posts: 1 New Member
    Can your starter sim get a job for money?
    @ptxabby
    Yep they sure can! You can earn money however you like as long as you do not use any sort of cheats. :)