Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims has become predictable and boring.

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Basically the game needs things like an empathy mechanic and more discipline on what is defined as an emotion, trait, aspiration etc. and what the possible consequences are for the interplay between these elements. I remember Lyndsay Pearson being asked in an interview if they had consulted any psychologists on the design of the game and she answered in a very definite negative. I was gob smacked.
    Interesting. I bet some of the devs have side-hobby understanding of psychology though, for what that's worth. I think you pretty much need to have some understanding of human psychology to make it as a game designer because, to a certain extent, you're trying to predict what people want, how they will use a feature, etc.

Couldn't hurt for them to consult dedicated professionals though. But I would hope they'd be careful about who they consult, as some people in psychology just aren't very good at their job, or operate on outdated and/or ineffective models.

Aye, they could have looked in the Yellow Pages for cognitive neurologists :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited June 2017

Im not going to argue with you back and forth. Because this is nothing more than an attempt to derail. However, you said multiple times that I should just move on to a different game and use my imagination, because it's just a game. But I do not spend $40 on EP's and $20 on game packs , just to use my "imagination" for a video game. That is so weak. We are paying for this. It is not a free hand out. I want a life simulation that tries to mimic realism in some sense and one that has greater depth of feeling.

Again, if you are satisfied with the mechanics of the game as they are then there is no reason to take away from someone else wanting more out of this series. But for now, Im through. I can't be bothered in convincing someone who believes paying customers should have to pretend that a video game is more than what it is @Bear31
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    edited June 2017

Im not going to argue with you back and forth. Because this is nothing more than an attempt to derail. However, you said multiple times that I should just move on to a different game and use my imagination, because it's just a game. But I do not spend $40 on EP's and $20 on game packs , just to use my "imagination" for a video game. That is so weak. We are paying for this. It is not a free hand out. I want a life simulation that tries to mimic realism in some sense and one that has greater depth of feeling.

Again, if you are satisfied with the mechanics of the game as they are then there is no reason to take away from someone else wanting more out of this series. But for now, Im through. I can't be bothered in convincing someone who believes paying customers should have to pretend that a video game is more than what it is @Bear31

Whatever.....*laughs*......only one I see getting all upset is you. I never said that you should move on......I was saying you ought to find something that makes you happy cause right now it seems like you aren't. People do it all the time. They drop the game and play another and then come back to it. You're entitled to feel that way as you are as about writing and expressing yourself. No one is actually taking away anything here. I'm simply stating the other side of the issue because I am happy with the game, even if......on some things.....I agree with people here. Also, there is always an element of using one's imagination where the game is concerned, so no matter what, it plays an important part. Which is really all I'm saying to begin with.

Just so you know though? The attempt at derailing here isn't mine to claim. If you hadn't tried and failed hard at trying to turn me against the game and just accepted my first, now insulting me saying that using imagination is "weak" where the game is concerned, and furthermore insulting my intelligence by saying that I really am not seeing a game for what it is then we wouldn't have gone off track in the first place.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2017
    I agree it seem with the sims they just stay the same, with the same animation over again and again. it's like Ea doesn't want to push the boundaries when it comes to the sims.
    giphy.gif

edited June 2017
    This is a feedback forum. In case anybody didnt notice. Im here to give my feedback.So thats what Im gonna do. Anywho, the sims is the same dog and pony show it was back in 2004 and I want something bigger. I can see from the other posts in this forum and the responses that a lot of other players feel something missing. I hope that start listening to us <3
    Here's an insightful quote I grabbed from elsewhere on the forum, about our sims. This really speaks to what our Sims need :smile:

deeper social interaction is a must- not just for 4 but for the franchise in general. Currently social interactions are largely just spamming whatever actions you want until a bar goes up. Sure, in theory certain traits might make the sim you're interacting react more or less positively to certain types of interactions, but I'd argue there are further steps that can be taken to make interactions more organic. In addition to factoring in the sims respective relationships like you mentioned I think it would make a good deal of common sense to have them react to the 'flow' of their interactions as well. For example, randomly telling a joke might not have as big an impact as using that action as a followup to a complementary previous action (what makes such an action 'complementary' to a joke would in turn depend on various factors; a sim with a dark sense of humor will appreciate a joke following discussion of a serious topic while another sim might be severely put of by that same interaction).

I also think that more can be done to distinguish important relationships beyond, once again, a bar going higher. Family members and romantic partners in particular should have access to special interactions as a result of their special relationships. It would also be cool if sims had strong desires to see certain sims in particular and would suffer negative emotions and penalties to social fulfillment if they go too long without interacting with that one particular individual. Spouses and children shouldn't simply be people who occupy the same residence as your sim; your sim should desire to have meaningful interactions with them on a regular basis.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    This is a feedback forum. In case anybody didnt notice. Im here to give my feedback.So thats what Im gonna do. Anywho, the sims is the same dog and pony show it was back in 2004 and I want something bigger. I can see from the other posts in this forum and the responses that a lot of other players feel something missing. I hope that start listening to us <3

I never played sims2, I started with sims3. I also want something bigger and better. This game if played the way it is, is totally boring. I made it into my own soap opera told in pictures. I have a lot of CC and poses to make it more interesting.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2017
    Pegasys wrote: »
    The big difficulty I see is that starting with Sims 3 and now even more with Sims 4, there has been a shift from challenge/time management/restrictions to storytelling. As long as the Sims series is intends to serve the storytelling demographic, we will not get the depth of character the OP is seeking. Because depth of character is in a large part, based on restriction.

For example, in Sims 2 the Lifetime Want was randomly chosen and the player could not change it without jumping through hoops. In Sims 3, the player could select from a group of Lifetime Wish depending upon traits. In Sims 4, you can select any Aspiration at any time, no matter the sims's traits. And ironically, it's that ability to choose that detracts from the depth. If any sim can do anything at any time, then it's solely up to the player to assign depth.

This is similar to the discussion in another thread about how the parents scolding their children is not autonomous, and that was immersion-breaking. The answer some gave in that thread was that the player determines what kind of parent they want their sims to be. Storytelling, not sim-led challenges.

I agree I would like to see more depth and I think updating the whim/aspiration system would go a long way toward that. I personally would prefer an aspiration system somewhere between Sims 2 and Sims 3. The Sims 3 had more meaningful wishes, and the Sims 2 fear/aspiration loss mechanic was great.

However, with the Sims 4 they apparently originally meant for whims to be optional (hence the term "whims" not "wants" or "wishes"). I made a comment in another thread about how I wanted the return of the Sims 2 fear system, and someone replied they didn't want the game telling them what their sims wanted, or how to play their game, they want to decide what their sims wanted. Again, it's the storytelling approach. As long as that is a predominant aim, even with more and more interactions, there won't be the depth. Because, in my opinion, ironically, depth originates from having some restriction. And this game has been moving towards eliminating restrictions.
    I'm a storytelling player myself, but I don't think better personalities would stand in the way of that? On the contrary. What's standing in the way of a storyteller is a sim that has to go to the toilet ten times a day or has to constantly clean up mess. Unless you mean storytelling in a way that you use your sims as puppets, pushing them around, them doing everything exactly the way you want to. That wouldn't be a game though and afaic a total bore.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited June 2017
    Methinks someone can't stand someone with a different view point. Different view = feedback

Hope you get what you want
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    The OP is right. It is predictable and boring.

I make Sims 4 entertaining because I literally have to create drama. I have a lot of mods that allow Sims to kill other sims. My vamps can kill with drain life. I have my Sims start a lot of fights and have enemies. I use the group system from Get together to sort of form cliques. I try to keep the wealthy away from the poor. Sometimes I have stories where the poor hack the wealthy's bank account so the tables are turned and of course there is always a revenge story after that.

In Sims 2, things could go awry quickly. I remember a lightning strike happened and a tree caught fire and everything started burning down. Sims walking by were running over and dying. The household died it was so crazy I had to close out without saving and the fire was massive. I was going to let the deaths stick but too many died...lol I also remember my Sims at college had a fire in the dorm. A random passerby ran in to try to save the day and died too...lol I let that stick. I also remember my Sim was dating two sims at the same time. He went on a date with another Sim and well he got caught cheating and the slapping started up.

I really didn't have to do much in Sims 2 for things to get out of hand. In Sims 4 I have to create everything and even then I have seen enemies talking like they were friends. I didn't ask for them to be frenemies.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2017
    Bear31 wrote: »
    In the game, layers or not.......virtual doll house or not.........its just a game. I respectfully disagree with you OP. For me its simple, you either like it and play it or you don't and you find a different game to love other than the sims. I don't think that it is a virtual dollhouse kind of game. The depth comes from your imagination. Its always been that way and always will be that way. My sims, at least, have layers and depth because that's how I view my sims.

Do I wish that they'd do more with the traits? Sure.......like for instance if your sim was evil and mean, they'd do more than just perform mean interactions. They'd pull pranks anonymously, trip people up, etc.

Does that make or break the game? Certainly not. Why? Imagination.......it all comes full circle to that. I think that's what the devs want to keep. The ability to give us a specific amount of play without taking away our ability to imagine what it would be like to be them in their situations.

ETA: My saying that "you either like it or you don't and find a different game to love other than the sims" is NOT my way of saying not to play the game.......just to clarify......
    I partly agree with you, imagination just has to keep playing a big part in this game. The thing is, it's Sims 4 where that aspect is scuppered for me. Because the sims constantly show me in very loud ways how they feel, constantly and sometimes without an obvious reason. Those emotions kill imagination much more than a character or personality would. The part where I agree with you: there must always be room for the player's imagination and for free interpretation. I don't want to constantly play a developer's choice or vision or script.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    The big difficulty I see is that starting with Sims 3 and now even more with Sims 4, there has been a shift from challenge/time management/restrictions to storytelling. As long as the Sims series is intends to serve the storytelling demographic, we will not get the depth of character the OP is seeking. Because depth of character is in a large part, based on restriction.

For example, in Sims 2 the Lifetime Want was randomly chosen and the player could not change it without jumping through hoops. In Sims 3, the player could select from a group of Lifetime Wish depending upon traits. In Sims 4, you can select any Aspiration at any time, no matter the sims's traits. And ironically, it's that ability to choose that detracts from the depth. If any sim can do anything at any time, then it's solely up to the player to assign depth.

This is similar to the discussion in another thread about how the parents scolding their children is not autonomous, and that was immersion-breaking. The answer some gave in that thread was that the player determines what kind of parent they want their sims to be. Storytelling, not sim-led challenges.

I agree I would like to see more depth and I think updating the whim/aspiration system would go a long way toward that. I personally would prefer an aspiration system somewhere between Sims 2 and Sims 3. The Sims 3 had more meaningful wishes, and the Sims 2 fear/aspiration loss mechanic was great.

However, with the Sims 4 they apparently originally meant for whims to be optional (hence the term "whims" not "wants" or "wishes"). I made a comment in another thread about how I wanted the return of the Sims 2 fear system, and someone replied they didn't want the game telling them what their sims wanted, or how to play their game, they want to decide what their sims wanted. Again, it's the storytelling approach. As long as that is a predominant aim, even with more and more interactions, there won't be the depth. Because, in my opinion, ironically, depth originates from having some restriction. And this game has been moving towards eliminating restrictions.
    I'm a storytelling player myself, but I don't think better personalities would stand in the way of that? On the contrary. What's standing in the way of a storyteller is a sim that has to go to the toilet ten times a day or has to constantly clean up mess. Unless you mean storytelling in a way that you use your sims as puppets, pushing them around, them doing everything exactly the way you want to. That wouldn't be a game though and afaic a total bore.

That said. I would love a game mode where I could have a kind of system view on the sims so, I can set their exact location and orientation...

...I'll go back to dreaming....
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    Bear31 wrote: »
    In the game, layers or not.......virtual doll house or not.........its just a game. I respectfully disagree with you OP. For me its simple, you either like it and play it or you don't and you find a different game to love other than the sims. I don't think that it is a virtual dollhouse kind of game. The depth comes from your imagination. Its always been that way and always will be that way. My sims, at least, have layers and depth because that's how I view my sims.

Do I wish that they'd do more with the traits? Sure.......like for instance if your sim was evil and mean, they'd do more than just perform mean interactions. They'd pull pranks anonymously, trip people up, etc.

Does that make or break the game? Certainly not. Why? Imagination.......it all comes full circle to that. I think that's what the devs want to keep. The ability to give us a specific amount of play without taking away our ability to imagine what it would be like to be them in their situations.

ETA: My saying that "you either like it or you don't and find a different game to love other than the sims" is NOT my way of saying not to play the game.......just to clarify......
    I partly agree with you, imagination just has to keep playing a big part in this game. The thing is, it's Sims 4 where that aspect is scuppered for me. Because the sims constantly show me in very loud ways how they feel, constantly and sometimes without an obvious reason. Those emotions kill imagination much more than a character or personality would. The part where I agree with you: there must always be room for the player's imagination and for free interpretation. I don't want to constantly play a developer's choice or vision or script.

Thankyou!! Exactly my WHOLE point about the imagination being a key component.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    The OP is right. It is predictable and boring.

I make Sims 4 entertaining because I literally have to create drama. I have a lot of mods that allow Sims to kill other sims. My vamps can kill with drain life. I have my Sims start a lot of fights and have enemies. I use the group system from Get together to sort of form cliques. I try to keep the wealthy away from the poor. Sometimes I have stories where the poor hack the wealthy's bank account so the tables are turned and of course there is always a revenge story after that.

In Sims 2, things could go awry quickly. I remember a lightning strike happened and a tree caught fire and everything started burning down. Sims walking by were running over and dying. The household died it was so crazy I had to close out without saving and the fire was massive. I was going to let the deaths stick but too many died...lol I also remember my Sims at college had a fire in the dorm. A random passerby ran in to try to save the day and died too...lol I let that stick. I also remember my Sim was dating two sims at the same time. He went on a date with another Sim and well he got caught cheating and the slapping started up.

I really didn't have to do much in Sims 2 for things to get out of hand. In Sims 4 I have to create everything and even then I have seen enemies talking like they were friends. I didn't ask for them to be frenemies.

Exactly. Drama has to be started by the player. It gets boring after a while telling my sims to react to a situation.

Your sims 2 story reminded me of when my sim went to work and her wall was struck by lightning. I say wall because it was day 5 of a legacy challenge. The fire got her cooker, the fridge, the shower, her bed and then the rain started and put it out. She lost everything and there was nothing I could do, I was tempted to quit but went with it.

Again, just proving my point further!! I too am a storytelling player.....hence where the imagination gives it depth!! I totally agree with what's said about the bathroom/cleaning up thing that was mentioned here. That to me doesn't make a good story. Usually there are ways to get around that problem though.
    edited June 2017
    Lol..... :p

@keekee53 The slapping in sims 2 was hilarious. Yes! We need more drama.Along with more complex sims :D<3

@MidnightAura

Our sims should at least get angry if their kids misbehave and we should get prompts telling us that our sim wants to groud their kid or not ;) Do teens even sneak out on their own? Or do we have to force that too? lol
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    the gurus want to add more to there was even some that called themselves team danger
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited June 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    Falynios wrote: »
    i'm gonna attribute the boringness and predictability to the thousands of people demanding the same content, over and over, and over again.
    This.

People wanted toddlers, not personality.
    People want laundry, not memories.
    People want time wasted developing preteens and preschoolers, rather than effort be put into making sims more individual and interesting.

It'd be nice if there was a gp or ep that was about memories, hobbies, interests and individuality.

yes please I think there working on it stuff like that takes time
    I would like it to be easier for sims to die and I would like there to be more ways to do so
    i'm gonna attribute the boringness and predictability to the thousands of people demanding the same content, over and over, and over again.
    This.

People want time wasted developing preteens and preschoolers, rather than effort be put into making sims more individual and interesting.

It'd be nice if there was a gp or ep that was about memories, hobbies, interests and individuality.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

They seem to be pretty stingy when it comes to any enhancements to existing mechanics so far - think of how many aspirations or new basic traits we have had since the game was released.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited June 2017
    @BrownGamerGurl1 in my experience yes you have to force it. And "sneaking out" may be a stretch. Have the parents stand by the front door and watch the teen walk out without a care in the world. Have him come back in and again Mum and dad won't care a bit. Mines didn't even look up from their movie.

At least in the sims 2, teens literally had to sneak out and in to avoid their parents!
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    This.

Pretty inaccurate. Lots of people want both, or the latter more. I know I would personally love an expansion pack that expands Sim intelligence over an expansion that adds anything else.

In fact, I'd say the reason of TS4's direction to be so based around Sims themselves and their personalities, was a direct result of people begging for it on TS3's forums. LOTS of people complained that TS3 Sims act like robots, unlike their predecessor Sims in TS2, and have asked time and time again for smarter, more expressive Sims. That's what TS4 has set out to do, but some still feel they haven't quite hit the mark.
    edited June 2017
    This.

They seem to be pretty stingy when it comes to any enhancements to existing mechanics so far - think of how many aspirations or new basic traits we have had since the game was released.

The aspirations are so boring and limited. By now, there should be a lot more. I also hate the new system and preferred the one from Sims 2, where their aspiration was a meaningful part of who they were .If their lifelong dreams werent met they could have a nervous breakdown lol. I want more aspirations , but aspirations don't really even matter now. The game needs consequences and rewards also for making our sims happy and not just the reward objects.

I want new life breathed into the sims @ModerateOsprey
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    This.

The aspirations are so boring and dumb. I also hate the new system and preferred the one from Sims 2, where their aspiration was a meaningful part of who they were .If their lifelong dreams werent met they could have a nervous breakdown lol. I want more aspirations , but aspirations don't really even matter now. The game needs consequences and rewards also for making our sims happy and not just the reward objects.

I want new life breathed into the sims @ModerateOsprey

I definitely agree with that. Aspirations and whims feel entirely useless because of the fact they are optional, and their rewards don't feel like they hold any significance within a game that is already VERY simple and easy to "win."

Sims 2 got it right. The aspiration and wants/fears system was mandatory, and it, too, had rewards which significantly made dealing with these systems much easier. In fact, completing an aspiration in TS2, which takes a pretty long time, ends up leaving your Sim in a "nirvana" state of mind, meaning the aspiration system can never leave your Sim depressed again. Of course, this didn't mean they couldn't feel depressed from other factors (break up, etc.)