Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Pets: Playable or Non-Playable

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    NPC pets do their own thing when they want to do it (or not do it) like a real pet that you can not control. Controllable pets seem to do less automatic pet type things because they are waiting for you to control them.

A NPC dog on an agility course may or may not do what you want and, with, enough training, will learn and even enjoy running the course. A controlled dog is all you. You tell it where to run, what to jump, which tunnel to run through. It will do what you say almost always because you ARE the dog and want to do it. You can't make the dog fail at a part of the course and learn to overcome it because you ARE the dog.

People who love cats, love them because they are independent and will do their own thing. If you are the cat, all that fun independence is lost. How do you act independent and ignore your owner?
  • HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    I can see an agility course still having sense with contollable pets. It could be similar to toddlers potty skill. Toddlers can't learn that on their own, pets wouldn't either. Moreover, it could be done that pets can't gain more skill points on the agility course without the owner/trainer, and of course, they'd be better and better with time. I mean, if they could restrict the first level of potty training to be two Sims activity, I believe they can stretch that for the whole range with pets training.
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited June 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    I think it will be cool if we can control them. That way, everyone can be happy. If they don't want to control their sims' pets, then they don't have to click on the pet, but for players who want, they are able to. :)

I agree with this one. Especially because I'd like to prevent my dog from being aggressive and evil as long as he/she isn't trained. And if my normal Sims are at work, I could make the pets systematically destroy all the furniture, which wouldn't be possible without controlling them :D

About the counter-argument "it would take away a household spot if we could control them":
    I would expect it to be like that even if we couldn't control them. You would need to view their needs somewhere, right? So I don't think that's different with either option. Just as DeKay said, just making them playable leaves you with both options.

Also, even if they are controlled they still have autonomy based on their training and traits! It's just that you can prevent them from scaring your spouse away if you can also control them :)
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited June 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    NPC pets do their own thing when they want to do it (or not do it) like a real pet that you can not control. Controllable pets seem to do less automatic pet type things because they are waiting for you to control them.

A NPC dog on an agility course may or may not do what you want and, with, enough training, will learn and even enjoy running the course. A controlled dog is all you. You tell it where to run, what to jump, which tunnel to run through. It will do what you say almost always because you ARE the dog and want to do it. You can't make the dog fail at a part of the course and learn to overcome it because you ARE the dog.

People who love cats, love them because they are independent and will do their own thing. If you are the cat, all that fun independence is lost. How do you act independent and ignore your owner?

They just need an AI system for when you not controlling them, like Sims already have that you aren't using, I would bet a lot of money controllable or not pets will have an Ai because of the nature of the Sims if the devs can't make a good Ai it won't matter npc or not pets will seem bland. With a good Ai a pet shouldn't seem to lay around waiting for commands, my pets in ts3 didn't they would do stuff like race around the house and scratch stuff or socialize with other pets and Sims beg for food my horses and dogs loved digging stuff up in the yard my cats would often go play with toys or adventure on counters. I really hope they still have that ai and improve on it for this generation.

The dog could fail and learn to over come it if it was a skill. Kind of like our sims can fail at yoga and learn to our come it right now. (Also @HelenaWiktoria I like the idea of having skills like agility be trained as the potty skill is for toddlers, makes sense since few dogs just start jumping on their own :D .)

I love my cat because she is very sweet and looks after me (least independent thing in the world). I love my Mom because she is very thoughtful and considerat and an awesome cook. I like my one friend because they always come up to me with the most random and unexpected things to talk about. I like my other friend because they are always extremely logical and good for working through problems with.

I can't control any of these people in real life just like I can't control my cat.
    I can understand all of them and come to expect certain thing from the though my cat included. Why is having control of multipule people OK but a pet not? Why is an animal deemed to have to be random and unexpected? I have worked with dogs horses and cats my entire life and I know I have always come to understand them and expect ceretain things from them same as as I do people, we don't talk about the weather but we sure can understand each other.

I can play a cat that ignores their owner and cause all sorts of grief for it why couldn't I? In fact by playing an independent cat there is more opportunity to be independent because as a npc pet a simmer will just learn to play the system to get control because if there was never any control or predictability a pet would be annoying and pointless to train. iI I want a truly independent cat though I can be independent cat regardless of the owners actions and training because I can make that cat be independent.If my pet wants to be the most sweet obedient thing in the world I can also play that out because there are some pets (like my current cat) that are just obedient naturaly from the start little training required (my cat has come when called basically as soon as she got used to us after we got her.)

How is haveing the ability to control other Sims than just one "main" Sims any different from having the ability to control a pet if you choose? Both other people and animals can't be controlled in real life and all of them are very unique from person to person or animal to animal.

Edits: typos and auto corrects that were wrong
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I prefer not playable because the pets would be unpredictable I said this in another thread especially with the emotions sims 4 have imagine the pets a happier pet would be friendly and angry pet would be on the defense barking, growling, snarling, or with cats have all the hairs stand up. Etc...
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Playables, but with great autonomy
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    @BeJaWa Because i dont want them consuming household member space. You can repeat "you dont have to control them" until you are blue in the face, WE KNOW THAT, it wont solve the fact that we (or at least I) dont want them taking up space in our already full households
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    @BeJaWa like if they add exyra slots fine but i dont see them doing that otherwise they would have bu now for regular household members
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    @BeJaWa Because i dont want them consuming household member space. You can repeat "you dont have to control them" until you are blue in the face, WE KNOW THAT, it wont solve the fact that we (or at least I) dont want them taking up space in our already full households

That's why I said add household slots.
    I very much want pets to have their own spots to fill up which they actually did do in ts3 they added two extra spaces for pets to fill but if you went over that they would take up sim spots, so I can totally see them doing it again.
    As for why they haven't done it for sims space I don't know it is usually a common mod to put out for all generations but they never have.
    and the whole you don't have to play them is really only a small part of what I'm saying and not really my main point.

I also view that as a different issue because NPC or not they could take up space. my argument is that in regards to the NPC or not issue and only that, is if you guys don't want to play with them you don't meaning adding the feature shouldn't impact your game-style.
    Also part of my you don't have to play them is saying the ai should still be there NPC or not so if you don't trust a controllable to be spontaneous and act on it's own then chances are an NPC will also get dull, which is actually my main hang up here is I don't trust ai to actually provide the individuality I want, this is just my concern but I'm trying to explain my thoughts here so other users on this thread can see both sides written out and maybe gain some insight. I know I'm not going to change most peoples minds I'm just share my perspective so both sides of the coin can be seen.

Also the point that we can't control them in real life I was pointing out we also can't control others in real life so why play with multiple sims which is very different from a "don't have to play them" argument.

List goes on but I feel you are kind of simplifying my comments here and taking them out of context as most have been direct responses to another comment that I personally disagreed with and wanted to share my opinion on.

We evidently differ if they do take up normal sim space I would prefer to still play them because I see it as more valuable where as you wouldn't which is just a level of priorities and I won't convince you clearly of anything there but I still wish to make my concerns known and suggest alternatives to the concerns here that if they were put in the game may make both sides happier. :)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I'm fine with nonplayable so long as I can still create/customize them.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,582 Member
    edited June 2017

I'm sorry but either way, I don't think Maxis will ever make the pets take no household member space.

Why? Cuz the pets will have personality traits, statistics, relationships, etc and all of this carry data/information. Therefore, the more pets you have, the more CPU usage your computer is going to take up.

So, it wouldn't be smart to let players breed dogs/cats and exceed the household limit of 8 members cuz your computer is just probably going to crash or experience severe lag (if you have a beast gaming rig). Heck, even now, a lot of players with full households are already complaining that they have some simulation lag.

I hope you understand that. If you really want the dogs and cats to take up no household space like the guinea pigs, and birds in the previous games, just know that the dogs and cats will have NO personality traits, NO relationships, NO skills, etc at all. Do you really want that? I'd rather they don't even put pets in the game if they are going with that route.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I like controlling them better, honestly. It leaves much more room for gameplay.
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2017

I hope you understand that. If you really want the dogs and cats to take up no household space like the guinea pigs, and birds in the previous games, just know that the dogs and cats will have NO personality traits, NO relationships, NO skills, etc at all. Do you really want that? I'd rather they don't even put pets in the game if they are going with that route.

I'm sorry but I don't understand.

I don't think they are crazy enough to do that.

The person I was replying to said they didn't want the pets to take up household space (8 member limit). If the devs were to allow that, it means the player could have as many pets as they want, right? However, pets such as dogs and cats have always had personality traits, relationships and skills, even autonomy and needs. And therefore all of these data will make your computer/processor work harder.

The more simulated beings you have in your household, the more your computer will have to process all of this. Therefore, it's not plausible to make the pets not take up household slots cuz it will just make the game lag too much if you have more than 8.

And of course, I know they're not crazy enough to make the dogs/cats to not have any skills/relationship, etc, which is why they need these animals to have their slots in the 8 household member limit. They might be able to bump up the household limit specifically for pets but they will still add a limit.

Do you get it now? :D I don't really know how else to explain it but this is just looking at the more technical programming aspect of it.
    832XG3D.gif
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Non-playable.
  • MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    Playable. If I don't want to take responsibility for my pet's actions I may as well just let it be and act as it wishes according to it's free will. Although, very often being able to play your pet comes in handy especially when it simply comes to logistics.
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited June 2017
    If they decide to make them playable then they should at least call the ep "animal-life" or something similar. Because then the Focus will be clearly on the experience of actively playing a household member which happens to be an animal with very limited potential compared to human-beings (the game is build around Sims after all, not animals, so their potential will always be very limited).

"Pets", however, implies that they are aiming for an accurate pet Simulation (--> works only non-controllable --> tamagotchi-gameplay-experience would eventually add a completely new Feeling to the game instead of just having another "household member" with "free will on").

Everybody who still does not understand why the functionality is different on "free will on" should now open TS3, create a household with 2 sims and get at least 2 roommates. Then compare how they behave in their game.

I will gladly repeat myself: People are asking for real (!) roommates for a reason (although, again, the game is called SIMS, you actually want to Control sims, don't you?) . That's why we also want a real (!) pets experience for a reason. I mean, being able to make your cat "attack" another sim might be cool for a Minute but it's much more realistic and fun if that happens because your pet does it autonomously AND - most importantly - you have NO Control over it. It's more fun even for Story telling. Both, in the sense of your Story in game and when you come to the Forum to write about it.

Insofar it does not only ruin the experience itself (of having a pet) but it would also cripple the potential for gameplay (does not allow scripts --> devs could introduce funny situations, does not allow chain-interaction --> more flexibility in behavior etc. due to the fact that pets have to be accessible to Player Input all the time).

I can see that in an open world environment it might be cool to go on an Adventure with a cat or dog (but it does not justify the downsides whatsoever) but within the context of TS4 - dead/closed neighborhoods - it just does not make any sense to me.

Seriously, the fact alone that you could always select your dog and make him go outside to pee is so bizarre that it annoys me. I don't want to PLAY a pet, I want to own it, but why even "owning" it (-->implies responsibility + taking your time to train, make the pet surprise you with unexpected behavior etc.) when you may just aswell do it all by yourself (BOOORING) XD . It defeats the purpose.

One reason why TS4 is considered boring is because you always have Control over everything, I don't know if that's always a good Thing. Obviously not.

Edit: It's beyond me that People who have been praising TS2 and its coherent dlcs as the best TS game ever prefer pets TS3 style (which, btw., was hated for having controllable pets with good reason, although the world was at least open and therefore had more benefits for pets). How the plum can this be?

Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

HalloMolli wrote: »
    [...]

Edit: It's beyond me that People who has been praising TS2 and its coherent dlcs as the best TS game ever prefer pets TS3 style (which, btw., was hated for having controllable pets with good reason, although the world was at least open and therefore had more benefits for pets). How the plum can this be?

To be fair, when I played TS2, I actually wished the pets were controllable. Maybe it's cuz I was so used to controlling my sims that whenever I switch to a pet and when I click on object and the tooltip that says "no actions available", it just makes me so mad. :D Makes me feel like I have some sort OCD or something even tho I don't. LOL.

And also, I've never played TS3, so I can't really say how boring it is. I wish I have TS3 right now to try out your room mate thing you're talking about, but I don't, so. :\
    832XG3D.gif
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member

The person I was replying to said they didn't want the pets to take up household space (8 member limit). If the devs were to allow that, it means the player could have as many pets as they want, right? However, pets such as dogs and cats have always had personality traits, relationships and skills, even autonomy and needs. And therefore all of these data will make your computer/processor work harder.

The more simulated beings you have in your household, the more your computer will have to process all of this. Therefore, it's not plausible to make the pets not take up household slots cuz it will just make the game lag too much if you have more than 8.

And of course, I know they're not crazy enough to make the dogs/cats to not have any skills/relationship, etc, which is why they need these animals to have their slots in the 8 household member limit. They might be able to bump up the household limit specifically for pets but they will still add a limit.

Do you get it now? :D I don't really know how else to explain it but this is just looking at the more technical programming aspect of it.

No, I understood the first two times you explained.

I was just responding to that one part :smile:
    > @DeKay said:
    > x_Always_Heart_x wrote: »
    >
    > DeKay wrote: »
    >
    >
    > I hope you understand that. If you really want the dogs and cats to take up no household space like the guinea pigs, and birds in the previous games, just know that the dogs and cats will have NO personality traits, NO relationships, NO skills, etc at all. Do you really want that? I'd rather they don't even put pets in the game if they are going with that route.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm sorry but I don't understand.
    >
    > I don't think they are crazy enough to do that.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The person I was replying to said they didn't want the pets to take up household space (8 member limit). If the devs were to allow that, it means the player could have as many pets as they want, right? However, pets such as dogs and cats have always had personality traits, relationships and skills, even autonomy and needs. And therefore all of these data will make your computer/processor work harder.
    >
    > The more simulated beings you have in your household, the more your computer will have to process all of this. Therefore, it's not plausible to make the pets not take up household slots cuz it will just make the game lag too much if you have more than 8.
    >
    > And of course, I know they're not crazy enough to make the dogs/cats to not have any skills/relationship, etc, which is why they need these animals to have their slots in the 8 household member limit. They might be able to bump up the household limit specifically for pets but they will still add a limit.
    >
    > Do you get it now? :D I don't really know how else to explain it but this is just looking at the more technical programming aspect of it.

Yeah you're right lmao I wasn't cluing in on that. Sorry
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    Yeah you're right lmao I wasn't cluing in on that. Sorry

It's okay. :)
    832XG3D.gif
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    I like pets being playable, but with good autonomy. That way I can let them do their own thing, but take control if necessary.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think at this point in time its really silly to add pets and not make them playable.

The key word, being silly.
    We expect a decent ai for them and then simply if we want to we can take control when we want, its a really simple addition and its just makes things better, there's literally no reason to say no logically.
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    I think at this point in time its really silly to add pets and not make them playable.

The key word, being silly.
    We expect a decent ai for them and then simply if we want to we can take control when we want, its a really simple addition and its just makes things better, there's literally no reason to say no logically.

I completely disagree. There is no Logical reason to make them controllable. Why, I said in my post above.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    We could have limited control of our pets, that when we click on our pet we get a menu of things the pet can do. like go bark at door, play with a toy, eat food. go outside to poopy. go get their collar to go for a walk. same with any of the pets.
    If your pet learns things the object could be clicked on, to allow the pet to interact with that object. It should not be a need to have it take up a slot that's for family members.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor