Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Different parenting styles

What kind of families do you have now with the Parenthood pack? Are the parents strict, or do they even care what the kids are doing? Or does one parent say one thing and the other something else?

I'm finding this quite fun with my three families I'm rotating between. I have three siblings, who have a very wealthy background (money cheats), and all of them have their own families with very different ways of parenting.

The oldest sister Beatrice is divorced and is trying to balance the business career with taking care of a clingy toddler. She's ambitious and wants her daughter to grow up well, so she's always strict with her.

Then there's Delilah, who's a widow with two girls, a teen and a child. I suppose she's trying her best to raise the girls, but she's only ever used the calm tone to for example tell the younger daughter not to make a mess. I think it's like, she knows she should say something, but she just doesn't feel like getting into it too much, perhaps just ignore it the next time. And anyway, the butler will do the cleaning up, so why get upset?

And finally there's the youngest brother Devon with wife Sophia and a teen son and a child daughter. Devon is really just a big kid himself, who's always had his way, so he would rather just be best friends with his kids. But then, he did, for example tell calmly that her daughter should not make a mess. Twice. But then, when he caught her the third time, he yelled, because, I suppose he just ran out of ways to handle the situation. Sophie on the other hand is trying to teach both kids good manners, but isn't very good at disciplining her son.

What kind of parents do you have in your games now?
01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    It all depends on what is going on in the game save that I'm playing. I have one family that's very large (5 children, 3 of them being triplets) that household, the parents just let the kids do what they want, because they are just too tired to deal with it all. Another household, there is quite a bit of yelling (the strict part of the punishment), and another well the kids are so well behaved, punishment is not needed.
  • kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    It all depends on what is going on in the game save that I'm playing. I have one family that's very large (5 children, 3 of them being triplets) that household, the parents just let the kids do what they want, because they are just too tired to deal with it all. Another household, there is quite a bit of yelling (the strict part of the punishment), and another well the kids are so well behaved, punishment is not needed.

I kind of like the way the different parenting styles (or the ways you use them) give the sims more character. Actually probably more than the traits ever did...

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    the mum's firm, the dad's the nice one :D I don't ever wanna like yell at the kids or be super strict
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Both the parents are strict and ground but only the teen actually has been grounded the other girl had a time out and they yell at their kids LOL
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • ElainaElaina Posts: 80 Member
    I can't seem to play long enough to give my parents a fighting chance. And it's not really out of boredom. I have a non-existent attention span and while playing one family I will take a break and build a new house and then create another family. I will check in with them, but I never hang around long enough to have much influence in their parenting style.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    So far I've had one calm parent and one firm one to balance each other out. Haven't explored the other styles with different families yet.
    6riwm5.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I still use my old parenting styles from before we had ingame scolding options a lot. Like when the father saw his teen son, who was going through a mean phase, bully a child on the sidealk, he gave the teen a handbuzzer shock (being a secret agent that knocked the boy out), then bought him a cheap computer so he could act out his phase in the anonymity of the internet and threatend to lock him inside his room if needed. This family was pretty much "ey, they'll outgrow it on their own".

I don't like how drastic a simple scolding can change a young sim's core values. The teen in question, when punished by my method, learned to stopp the behaviour because of consequences. But he didn't become any nicer, just better behaved for the sake of avoiding trouble. Left to his own he'd always reset to his old behaviour. I couldn't use the scolding mechanic on him, as that would have raised his conflict resolution and emotional control, which would have been out of character for him. The boy grew up neutral in all categories except for responsibility, where he scored the bonus trait just from going to school for one week and cleaning the house occassionally.

I'm on to the next family in rotation now, with a drunkard of a mother, an irresponsible rarely at home (cc) fairy father, a ruthless, ambitious worcaholic teen daughter and a daydreaming, idealistic, schoolskipping, painting teen daughter.
    Nice to hear everyone's different playing styles. I'm getting new ideas myself, too :)

• lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I still only have one toddler. Most of my other Sims are living the single life. My avi, Cree lives with her mom and dad in San Myshuno. Both are first time parents and are pretty laidback when it comes to discipline. I feel as if Ayana may get more strict once she starts having more kids. Ayana just bought a few parenting books, hopefully that will help her along the way.
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I usually play challenges, so my gameplay tends to be more strategy than story. In my randomacy, one of the goals I rolled was perfect children. It hasn't been updated to include Parenthood yet, but considering the goal was about striving for perfect kids, I played it so my sim's offspring for that generation couldn't receive any negative character traits and tried to have each of them earn at least two positive ones. The relationships between the kids and their parents were all daddy/mommy dearest by the time they reached YA, which, if I remember correctly, is described as having the best relationship with little discipline.

On the other hand, my rotational save has some storyline going on for different families. One of my favorites at the moment is the Fengs. MCCC gave Victor and Lily a son, and while they were together, I played it so their son was mainly cared for by his nanny, whom Victor was having an affair with and eventually left his wife for. They moved into the apartment across the hall and have since started their own family, leaving the son with his mother. Lily has the hates children trait, so I've been playing her as cold and distant and even resentful of her son, which spiked when Victor left them. I see her ignoring his victories and biting at the heels of his shortcomings, whereas with Victor, I see him ignoring him, period. He's moved on to his other family.

Once the son reaches YA, I want him to be responsible and have good manners, but insensitive and possibly argumentative due to his upbringing by Lily. I can see him having trust issues because of what happened between his parents, so I think the jealousy trait would suit his character perfectly. I want him to be resentful of both his parents as they're both pretty awful imo, and likely cold towards his half-siblings for having it easier than he did. It's going to be a mess of a family; I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and it might get even messier. The nanny wasn't the only woman Victor was seeing behind his ex-wife's back. He's also seeing Nancy Landgraab, a renowned criminal, and an alien with a vampire roommate who was quick to take care of a vampire who broke into their house to drink from her. Also, his new wife has the jealousy trait and wants to be a master vampire—just imagine what she could do to him if she found out he was cheating. And to top it off, he caught fire while cooking in his new apartment the day he left Lily. Karma is coming for him.

I'm loving it.
  • RDaanRDaan Posts: 88 Member
    I have a family with a child, from a previous relationship and a toddler and a baby from Anna's current marriage. Both parents are workaholics and the oldest spends a lot of time alone with her stepdad and she blames her mother for not spending time with her because she spends the little time that she haves on the two youngest
  • simmer_whoviansimmer_whovian Posts: 275 Member
    I'm mostly taking advantage of the options under Firm and Calm when it comes to my Sims' parenting style so far. I've yet to use anything under Strict but I should probably try it out too. I'll admit, the Calm approach is my favourite personally but it'd be fun to see if changing the approach produces different results in different families.
    I'm mostly taking advantage of the options under Firm and Calm when it comes to my Sims' parenting style so far. I've yet to use anything under Strict but I should probably try it out too. I'll admit, the Calm approach is my favourite personally but it'd be fun to see if changing the approach produces different results in different families.

I really love the question mark with the calm approach. It's like "Oh, why are you doing this..."

• Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I have two main families. In one both the parents are artists and free spirits so they let their kids explore their creativity by making messes all the time lol when they do discipline them they usually use the calm approach. In my other family however the mom has the hates children trait and is a total nightmare to her kid. The dad is the fun one and who does most of the parenting. Needless to say I'm planning to divorce them soon :tongue:
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    I have two main families. In one both the parents are artists and free spirits so they let their kids explore their creativity by making messes all the time lol when they do discipline them they usually use the calm approach. In my other family however the mom has the hates children trait and is a total nightmare to her kid. The dad is the fun one and who does most of the parenting. Needless to say I'm planning to divorce them soon :tongue:

I'm curious, does the "hates children" trait automatically affect the way the mother handles her children, or is it just the way you play because of the trait?

• Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    She tends to be tense or even angry around her child, especially if his friends are around. Sometimes she even gets a happy moodlet when she's mean to him. I also tend to play her that way for storytelling purposes.
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    She tends to be tense or even angry around her child, especially if his friends are around. Sometimes she even gets a happy moodlet when she's mean to him. I also tend to play her that way for storytelling purposes.

I'll have to try a sim with the hates children trait have a child some day. I almost did in TS3, but then got bored with that family too soon.

• pihwhtpihwht Posts: 39 Member
    My "hates children" sim always got the calls from school, and was always the one the twins asked for advice. She wasn't nice to them.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    So, I played my dysfunctional family today (well, dysfunctional parents, actually, the family in itself gets along well). Mom is pretty much ignoring the idea of parenting, doing as she always does: drinking, going to work (as a mixologist) and socializing with the daughters. The girls volunteer for community work whenever they get a chance and have become besties over this. They argued a lot as children, so I call that progress. The ambitious girl has bought a school project and finished it, the idealistic girl goes around counceling people on how to mend their relationships. Dad performed a 180 degree turn, with his nose constantly in a parenting book. I don't know how it happened, exactly, I'm probably so used to playing him off lot that I have no routines for when he's home and just shoved the book under his chin to give him something to do.
    So at the end of the day I had much fun with the parenting pack once again, but I still don't use the actual parenting interactions much.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I downloaded a family who were expecting triplets, who are now close to aging to children, while their toddlers mum and dad discipline calmly, when they age to children it will be more firm. saying that, one toddler is a handful and has been disciplined more firmly. Then she went and hit the stuffed animal and I just ignored it. I was tired of telling her.
  • CxpmemeCxpmeme Posts: 76 Member
    I have multiple families that i play with but they all fall into the same "parenting category." They are mainly free spirited and happy i guess but they can be very firm with their discipline. I want to have a family where both of the parents hate children.... that would be interesting
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Right now my sims only have a toddler and they are very involved with her. They take turns working and spending the day with her. They are pretty relaxed parents for now, but once she ages up and starts school they might become a little more strict if the occasion calls for it.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've cheated so that the parents in my game all have level 10 parenting. I love influencing the children to do chores.

Apart from Jacques Villareal who doesn't give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I'm playing the legacy challenge. My Sim, Phoenix, married Gabriel, a Sim who 'hates children'. I didn't know he hated children until they got married and moved him in. They had their 1st born, Gabriella (who is my heir) & a set of triplets...Luca, Lux, & Kai shortly thereafter. Gabriel, does not have any patience with any of his kids. He's always tense...he autonomously swears in front of them. Actually, he doesn't really deal with them at all. But when he does get involved, it's usually never good....as he is very strict, a no-nonsense kind of parent. I have Phoenix, being a very gentle, nurturer and when the kids were toddlers, I always used the calm interaction. The triplets are now kids...and so far they're all turning out pretty good, thanks to Phoenix. But Gabriella, who is now a teen...is like her dad. She is always in a mood swing, very tense all the time. & a lot of her character values are in the red. I did a random roll for her traits and she is gloomy, and hot headed. Really isn't what I had planned for the heir of my legacy to have jacked up character values, but it definitely makes for an interesting story line.

Unfortunately, Phoenix didn't really have much time to spend with Gabriella, since she was practically on her own with the triplets. & since Gabriella is out of control, I find Phoenix, being a lot more firm with her. I'm really trying to reverse this dysfunction I got going on with the heir...but like I said, I think she'll be in the red for all the character values. I find Parenthood to be a mixture of interesting and chaotic....pretty cool how things can turn out. You can plan for perfect kids, but there could always be that curveball. I'm finding that the traits really do matter for all family members involved.
  • Qnehkz1Qnehkz1 Posts: 1 New Member
    Has anyone managed to get a parent - child relationship that isn't in the 'little discipline' category upon ageing up? My more sadistic side has been playing with a parent that's been pretty harsh on his kids. Lots of punishments and discipline actions used but when my sim aged up into an adult his relationship with his Dad was categorised as 'passive parent' which seems kind of like a sick joke to diminish the pain I've put this guy through! Just wondering if anyone had successfully got any of their relationships categorised as having had a lot of discipline or being authoritative and if so if you have any hints or tricks to help me out?

Thanks in advance and sorry for posting on an old thread - this is really bugging me and as a newbie I couldn't start a discussion so thought I'd try and find as relevant a post as possible!!