Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Noooooooooooo

Hi Simmers last night I was playing Sims 3, town Starlight shores I was busy building a house for my who are four friends who are living together and the lights and my computer went out because of a lighting and thunderstorm and I didn't get the chance to save so has this happen to any Simmers here?
d10f10cfadd5b2e97043ba6ec57f8ced.jpg

Comments

• DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    Yes, several times back in the early to late 00's, when I used to play on a desktop.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't think I have had that happen to me. I don't get many thunderstorms where I live. I did have a very slight thunderstorm today and I was playing. I was worried the power would cut out while I was saving which would corrupt the game. The power did not go out though :) . Keep saving when playing.
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    Not playing the Sims, but yeah I've lost work & stuff due to outages on desktops.
    My current PC is a laptop now, so no worries about outages.
    But how about this one:

Ever been playing the Sims & Windows 10 suddenly informs you that it's going to restart & install updates? And of course it doesn't even give you a chance to save what you're doing first!
    The really annoying thing about it is that, since I don't have home internet, I get online at wifi spots & it would always do it's "I'm restarting now! Plum you & whatever you're doing!" routine at home, two or three days after my last online session; I use it every day, but it would never do it's updating when I was shutting it down at the end of the day...nope always when I was in the middle of something!

Then I found out you can change how updates "behave" with a tweak in Group Policies. *makes rude gesture at whatever MS programmer thought automatic, uncontrollable updating was good idea*
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've seen those forced reboot messages in places where no one would expect to. Such as 6-story high screens in Times Square, with millions (give or take) of people watching. That's got to be embarrassing for whoever is in charge of those, but I wouldn't mind playing sims on a screen like that in between the updates. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I've seen those forced reboot messages in places where no one would expect to. Such as 6-story high screens in Times Square, with millions (give or take) of people watching. That's got to be embarrassing for whoever is in charge of those, but I wouldn't mind playing sims on a screen like that in between the updates. :)

Haha! I've seen plenty of blue screen errors on electric billboards & such, but not any reboot messages...yet...

Actually the updates were bearable until it force rebooted me while playing Borderlands, during round 18 in one of the long arena matches in the Moxxi DLC. If you've not played that game, the PC rebooting right then meant about 7 hrs of gameplay down the drain & at round 18 I was almost done! (long matches are 20 rounds long) ....rrrgg. That's when I decided "automatic updates must die".
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I've made it a habit to save every 15-30 minutes. If there is a thunderstorm then I wrap up what I'm doing and shut down. I'm so paranoid I flip the switch on the power supply as well. Our power goes out often because of storms during certain seasons. So I haven't really lost a lot of progress in a very long time. I know what to expect. :#
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I must be a paranoid old lady. When I hear a thunder storm, I turn off the TV, computers, won't answer the phone and try not to use the plumbing in the house ;)
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Just within the past month I was playing TS3 and NRaas Saver prompted me to save (as that what it does). So I saved, and got up to use the bathroom and get something to drink. I had the game set on pause so I wasn't worried about leaving the computer. Then the lights went out. It wasn't even raining. "Well, thank goodness I just saved the game!" I thought to myself. It was late evening so I got a flashlight and went about setting candles around my laptop so I could play a different game (just like they did in the 1800s!) . Just as I sat down the lights came back on.

*sigh*
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I tend to act like @Mikezumi when there´s a thunderstorm. I even unplug every electronic device, that doesn´t need electricity 24/7, like the stove and the tv. The only things that keep running are the fridge and my aquarium. :p

And I save. Often. Then I copy the saves on an external harddrive.
    And then I don´t save one time and that´s the only time the game crashes. Don´t take your werewolfs into CAS, guys.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    LOL! I must be super Un-paranoid, I tend to play on the computer and watch TV right through thunderstorms.. ;)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Sorry to hear that :(

Once I was playing The Sims with the headphones in and there was a storm in the game. When I took the headphones out I then realised that there was an actual thunderstorm...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I tend to remember being told that the metal parts of any electrical item that's plugged in when a house gets struck by lightening will be vaporised. I like to unplug things.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @Mikezumi When I'm at my parents home in Sweden, we unplug just about everything possible to unplug as soon as there's a thunderstorm. Out of necessity, as lightning when it strikes can fry the computer (happened once!)...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I must be a paranoid old lady. When I hear a thunder storm, I turn off the TV, computers, won't answer the phone and try not to use the plumbing in the house ;)

I used to love thunder and lightning storms until several years back now it struck a little bit too close for comfort and we lost about 3K in electronics and one of us got jolted to the point he lit up with a blue light and he couldn't breathe for a moment.
    Now we tend to be a lot more respectful of the damage the lightning can do and unplug until the storm passes. Still love the thunder though!
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @jillbg It's not happened to me but I have heard of people having their computers fried during electrical storms.

@Jessa_Dakkar I still love thunder and lightening storms but I respect them and take no chances with my computer and other valuables like my TV, my son or myself. That must have been a very scary thing for you! I can't even imagine! A friend of mine had a sister who was nearly killed when she was getting a glass of water during an electrical storm. She lost one of her senses - not sure if it was sight or hearing as it was about 20 years ago my memory is not the best these days. She also had bad burns to her chest and arms.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @Jessa_Dakkar You were lucky. I don't think we respect the force of nature enough. A lot of people live in cities these days, and thus don't have to fear thunder like when you live on the country side. I love watching thunderstorms - safely inside, and I'm always impressed by the different sorts of storms there are, depending on where you live. Worst is here in the mountains - you can hear the sizzling of electricity as the lightnings seem to be horizontal and the cracking of thunder seems neverending - echoing and crashing against the mountainside...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've hibernated my computer when a thunderstorm hits and unplug it if I'm still using it and wind up whatever I was doing and prepare to hibernate to save battery power.
    I was waiting for a bus at a bus stop during a thunderstorm and the bus stop sign got struck by lightening which threw us down on the ground and cause a few other kids wating with me to be injured.I had to run back to school to get them to call an ambulance for the other kids.I never take transit in a thunderstorm anymore and won't stand at a bus stop if there's a thunderstorm in the area again.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited June 2017
    My block of flats got hit by ball lightning once and it went down a chimney on the other side of the stair and over to a tree in the garden area. It threw the inhabitants to the back wall, luckily no one was hurt, only shocked. It set the top flat roof alight and 3 fire engines came. Then we had the most rain I have ever seen in my life, came down in torrents, which helped put the fire out.

I was just coming through the flat gate at the time and it went over me. I now always use surge protectors and unplug all small stuff before I go to bed. We don't get many thunderstorms where I live now, thank Plumb!
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Not playing the Sims, but yeah I've lost work & stuff due to outages on desktops.
    My current PC is a laptop now, so no worries about outages.
    But how about this one:

Ever been playing the Sims & Windows 10 suddenly informs you that it's going to restart & install updates? And of course it doesn't even give you a chance to save what you're doing first!
    The really annoying thing about it is that, since I don't have home internet, I get online at wifi spots & it would always do it's "I'm restarting now! Plum you & whatever you're doing!" routine at home, two or three days after my last online session; I use it every day, but it would never do it's updating when I was shutting it down at the end of the day...nope always when I was in the middle of something!

Then I found out you can change how updates "behave" with a tweak in Group Policies. *makes rude gesture at whatever MS programmer thought automatic, uncontrollable updating was good idea*

@ShojoDagger Oh! I feel your pain! I think Windows 10 toned back on that. I used to get real ugly when my computer would just shut down. That is wrong to do that!
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    Reading all this is surreal, lol, in the area I live in, theres never dangerous storms that threaten electronics. More likely to have heat that warps your game discs or something.