Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The more I look at the worlds, the less hope I have for cars...

Comments

• ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Has anyone else noticed on the front page, when you look at the changing box in the bottom right hand corner, a "Tips and Tricks" one pops up with "Accessing the Map" at the bottom or whatever, and the picture focuses in on a road with a car driving on it.
    WHY?!
    Is it a hint or something? If not its the cruelest of jokes.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    Like when you first open the game i mean.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    Buses and taxis would work.

No they won't - Sims 4 has zero road system programming and zero roads or pathing for roads. Sims 1,2, and 3 all have road systems. The only thing that can resemble any kind of vehicle in Sims 4 is FX as it has fx pathing. Sims actually do not interact with fx. It is simply there for the players to get the feel there are vehicles and roads but none of it is usable. Where ever you see fx when you play even if your sims stood in the middle of that fx road the fx vehicles would appear to run right through them - and would not affect the sims what so ever.

But regardless - no matter what, where there is fx programming there is not any other programming but maybe a foot path crossing the fake street. It is all for the visuals. Had they meant for us to have anything that required a road system like cars or bikes or even like the witches brooms in Sims 3 - the first thing they would have put into the world was a standard map and road system. Neither of which exist in this game. It is also not something you can easily add in after the fact - so I just don't see it happening - at least not in the worlds we already have anyway.

But like all things in computer nothing is impossible - but mostly improbable.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    In computer games the engine is the limit to what's possible and the Sims 4 engine simply cant handle things like cars. Only the area you're currently at is loaded and the rest of the world is unloaded. The longest road in an active area is something like 100m and cars would despawn at the end of the road and have no way to progress to another area as they do not exist in that moment.
    So cars can only drive around in one area and the engine can only handle very small areas. Cars would basically be teleporters and noone would be happy with that so they wont add teleporting cars.
    @Nelus what are you talking about? As if they went a whole lot further in sims 1 and I still liked watching them get in the car pool lmao
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Wasn't it said that the roads weren't functional?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Has anyone else noticed on the front page, when you look at the changing box in the bottom right hand corner, a "Tips and Tricks" one pops up with "Accessing the Map" at the bottom or whatever, and the picture focuses in on a road with a car driving on it.
    WHY?!
    Is it a hint or something? If not its the cruelest of jokes.

Because ironically travel in TS4 is represented by a car. :/ If you haven't noticed you click on a car in the Sim phone to travel, and all other things related to travel in TS4 you see a car...it's like a bad joke.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Serenity1991Serenity1991 Posts: 38 Member
    I wish they would add cars :.( when cars sometimes drive by my Sims house it's so taunting ! That and seeing the cars around the town too!! There was a van parked in the town ! Why would they put them in there at all if they won't let us use them too:(
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Considering how the base game worlds were built, I have a feeling that they were originally planning to include vehicles but ended up deciding against it. To be honest, that's perfectly fine by me, vehicles would add a nice touch to a Sim's day to day lives but in the end, I'm not sure if the costs of making vehicles compatible with each world would really measure up to how useful they are from a game-play perspective. Although I'd still like to have them if possible and it would be nice if we could do more inside cars too.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited June 2017
    I would like to see cars like we had in the sims 2, fully functional with opening doors etc, it was nice just to have them even if they could only pull on and off the drive. I still want them even though the sims 4 is closed world. They still worked in the sims 2 after all.
    @Simsfan99111 Sims 1 was the most closed, basic thing they ever had and it even managed car pools lmao Give me that even, I dont need it to be fancy.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    Like sure when you travel TO a lot you teleport right there but going home is a whole different beast. My vampire keeps running across the whole lot in the sun to port home.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have never thought they would add cars, and to be frankly honest the people that always whine, and beg for them kinda irk me. As your post stated TS4 is not made for cars. Hopefully people will read this and will understand that now. Thank you for taking the time to post your observations and thoughts.

And for some more honesty, I'm glad there is no cars. I didn't get to play TS3, but my understanding is that alot of problems it had were due to cars. There is a mod, to clean up the cars on the road, that TS3 people pretty much have to have to make the game mostly playable. TS4 is already bad enough, we don't need to make is worse by adding cars.

In a few years when technology and computers are better, they can make a game that has an open world, with cars, and CASt and all those wonderful things that were great about TS3 but basically broke it in the end. I'm not talking TS5, but maybe TS6 or 7. IF the series makes it that far

I really don't understand how you can knock TS3 if you never played it. Cars and riding in them and getting out of them have been part of The Sims since day one. Even cabs. And what is the point of building ranch type houses with fake garage doors if we can't have cars? It's like an insult to see those murals of garage doors that came in CL. Don't you think? What is up with that? It's like 'here, here are some fake garage doors, have fun.' lol
    Cinebar wrote: »
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Cars would be Kind of pointless anyway. In TS4 when you are on a lot you press "m" to travel, it takes you immediately to the Location you want. You don't have to waste time watching them leave and actively "go" there.

However, if TS5 is open world again I expect them to bring Transportation back.

Well, I guess that Road Trip survey just meant text message, right? take a trip etc.

I took cc out of my S3 game right before S3 Supernatural and only had one crash since that time till now and that is many years later. I never used mods. Listening to others who have problems with that game, but who used cc & mods isn't really fair to the game. I had next to none of the problems reported with that game although I know S3 World Adventures had a very small routing problem along with the side of Graham's pet shop, the top lot with the waterfall, and an empty lot near the middle of the map; all these places had an extremely small area where collectable animals were unattainable or animals that didn't have the collect command. I'm aware of some issue with Island Paradise, but have never encountered it. These are really small things. If you are going to form an opinion about Sims 3, then don't form it with people who clogged up their game with cc and mods and ran it on low end computers. If you had a decent up to date computer and didn't add mods/cc, then you stood an excellent chance to have an incredible gaming experience. I know at times I would play all day because I would get lost in the game and that has only happened to me once in S4. I hate that you missed out on S3; it was best on a nice computer, that is for sure, but so worth it. You have no clue the millions of things added to each EP, plus getting content left and right. There was an extensive amount of gameplay with each EP and the stuff packs got better toward the middle as well as having an incredible store that added incredible amounts of play items. Playing S3 was like owning your own little world. I could leave my sims doing what I asked(and in S3 they always did as you said unlike S4 where they sometimes cancel out your commands even with low autonomy on) and look over the map view, which showed sims moving/cars moving and zoom to any lot to see who was there and what they were doing. The cars made it real.

Didn't they have a car & gas station on a billboard as a possible hint, Cinebar? Pretty sure it was in a trailer or promo picture for another item or something of that nature. And also as Cinebar said, they did have cars in a survey. As far as ruling cars out, I'm no one who knows what this game is capable of, nor am I a real expert in gaming as the ones who makes S3/S4, but people said they would never make the ocean usable in S3 and the S3 team tore it up making new functions and adding on.

While your words and thoughts, OP, on how it would be hard to add makes sense, I'm not a game/S4 engine expert and I don't have a clue what they can and can't do with that engine with their map tools that they have for altering the S4 hoods. With the new ease of CAS and Build now where several things are possible where they were not in S3, it could be possibly easier than we think. They have made it possible to move whole sections of fencing in S4 and more than one lot can fit on a huge lot now and all of that was impossible/not part of S3. You can also pick up stairs now and move them instead of starting over, so they have improved build; I'm just not sure to what extent and unless one of the simmers on here professionally knows about the S4 engine, then no one else will either. With the billboard, I wouldn't rule out cars, but they won't be what they were in S3 and they were awesome and fully useable in S3. In order to add any real nice EP type stuff, they are going to have to majorly alter the hoods, which includes railways, cars, Island Paradise type areas, ect. and the same would be true of cars. I think it is possible, but that they will fade like with S2 with useful functions like stopping at a gas station and then driving off into nothingness. Not what I wanted when I envisioned S4, but better than no cars/railways/gas stations at all. :)
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    I'd just be happy if they bring the carpool back with the funny vehicles from rusty old banger to limousine
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    knazzer wrote: »
    I'd just be happy if they bring the carpool back with the funny vehicles from rusty old banger to limousine

I didn't play some of the earlier versions of the Sims game; just 3 & 4. Rusty old banger; that's funny. Love the name. I'll bet it even had rust and that old look to it. I miss cars.

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I don't think the cars in Sims 2 were silly. There were even CC cars in Sims 1 even though everything beyond the lot was a gray void.

It's really about aesthetics. The Sims is a game that relies on that. We pay for new clothes and hairstyles to broaden the possibilities in our simulated world. Likewise, some people want cars because they're into cars, want to simulate the experience of owning a car with their sim family, or for storytelling purposes. Even if cars don't impact the gameplay that much (since sims can already walk), it would be a welcome addition for many.

Personally I'd like to see cars again. It just felt nice for my sims to have a sedan in the garage. I'd also like firefighters again too, but that's a different story altogether.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    yeah... I just wanted my sim to own the streets with this bad boy.

76997.jpg
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited July 2017
    Cars will never happen, or if they do, they'll be largely stationary and we won't see them pull out of the driveway.

Cross it off your most wanted list now to save yourself the disappointment.

Funny you make this comment, because I've long said that I wont bother with Sims 4 until there are toddlers, and this that and the other thing, but then I realize that Sims 4 is about to hit it's 3 year mark. No sign of Seasons, we only have 3 EP's. It seems like I'm waiting on a game that's never going to materialize? I dont know.
  • Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I don't think the cars in Sims 2 were silly. There were even CC cars in Sims 1 even though everything beyond the lot was a gray void.

It's really about aesthetics. The Sims is a game that relies on that. We pay for new clothes and hairstyles to broaden the possibilities in our simulated world. Likewise, some people want cars because they're into cars, want to simulate the experience of owning a car with their sim family, or for storytelling purposes. Even if cars don't impact the gameplay that much (since sims can already walk), it would be a welcome addition for many.

Personally I'd like to see cars again. It just felt nice for my sims to have a sedan in the garage. I'd also like firefighters again too, but that's a different story altogether.

Honestly, if cars were implemented into TS4 close to the same way they were in TS2 then that would be enough for me. It's been a while since I've played TS2, but if I remember right there were quite a few things you could do with the TS2 cars beyond just driving around as well.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2017
    Aesir26 wrote: »

Honestly, if cars were implemented into TS4 close to the same way they were in TS2 then that would be enough for me. It's been a while since I've played TS2, but if I remember right there were quite a few things you could do with the TS2 cars beyond just driving around as well.

No there weren't really that many interactions with cars in Sims 2. Removing any interaction that requires the car to move, you're left with sitting in the car (talk, kiss, makeout, and woohoo) and listening to the radio.

Since there is no pathing for cars, I doubt that cars would work like Sims 2. I doubt they would work like Sims 3. At most any car they come up with would be a decoration that you can click on and select "travel" - there is just no way to implement it like Sims 2 without major reworks that arguably wouldn't pay off. Sure they could animate them, and allow sims to sit in them but it would effectively lose the point of having a car. Sims can interact and listen to the radio on a couch, adding a car just for those interactions is very silly.

ETA: Woohoo is another interaction available in cars, thanks @Terra for the reminder :smile:
    Post edited by drake_mccarty on
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited July 2017

Nothing drives me crazier than fake cars hahahahaha When I go through the exchange and I see houses they built where they included a garage and custom content car in the driveway, I immediately skip it. Its like fake pockets on real life womens clothing. Hate. Hate hate hate. Why bother? hahahahaha Just admit you hate pockets and move on.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    There won't be any cars . Why there is no point ? The roads are not usuable , and are only for decoration .
  • mollytrollyzmollytrollyz Posts: 63 Member
    To be honest I would of thought they'd make much more money if they did find a way for cars, so many people have/use cars and other vehicles in day to day life.
  • ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    i would only want cars if we went back to open world, which is impossible in sims 4
    you're ele-phantastic