Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Taking notes while you play?

2...Next

Comments

• cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I mainly play TS3 but I do make notes all the time. My desk is kind of littered with post-it notes. I found a big cork board at a yard sale recently and my first thought was "I can pin my sim notes." so I bought it and hung it up above my desk. :p

That's what I need! Except I play on my laptop in the living room nowadays sitting cross-legged in my recliner, and I don't think my parents would be too happy if I put a cork board up next to the tv :D
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    cleo00 wrote: »
    I mainly play TS3 but I do make notes all the time. My desk is kind of littered with post-it notes. I found a big cork board at a yard sale recently and my first thought was "I can pin my sim notes." so I bought it and hung it up above my desk. :p

That's what I need! Except I play on my laptop in the living room nowadays sitting cross-legged in my recliner, and I don't think my parents would be too happy if I put a cork board up next to the tv :D
    A small dry erase board might be useful and you don't need to hang that. :)

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    edited October 2017
    No, not really. Only if I'm testing out mods, and it's computer notes anyway, not real, physical notepad notes. I was testing the compatibility of various grass defaults in my game and wrote all the problems and good things I saw about it down. Once I made some physical notes about lifespans and I have notes on how to imitate seasons and mods, mainly the only thing that is kinda to do with sims that I'm constantly taking notes on would be my characters in the sims that are actually part of my stor(ies.) Not all of them are. And it doesn't correlate with the game play.

But! When I used to play harvest moon when I was like 8, I could never stick to a save and I made this whole diary as my character like today I did this and I milked a cow and it was great yaaaay... I gave them really weird names. One of my characters in the saves was Benjey Todd.

Edit to say aaaaah I thought I was in the sims 4 discussion I'm sorry well some of what I said still stands don't yell at me pleeease
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    No, not really. Only if I'm testing out mods, and it's computer notes anyway, not real, physical notepad notes. I was testing the compatibility of various grass defaults in my game and wrote all the problems and good things I saw about it down. Once I made some physical notes about lifespans and I have notes on how to imitate seasons and mods, mainly the only thing that is kinda to do with sims that I'm constantly taking notes on would be my characters in the sims that are actually part of my stor(ies.) Not all of them are. And it doesn't correlate with the game play.

But! When I used to play harvest moon when I was like 8, I could never stick to a save and I made this whole diary as my character like today I did this and I milked a cow and it was great yaaaay... I gave them really weird names. One of my characters in the saves was Benjey Todd.

Edit to say aaaaah I thought I was in the sims 4 discussion I'm sorry well some of what I said still stands don't yell at me pleeease

No problem :cookie:2ivbr48.jpg
  • baranoutabaranouta Posts: 64 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! I don't take as detailed notes as it sounds like some people do, but I tend to like to keep track of what skills my sims have maxed, things they need for promotions in their jobs, and things like that. I always use a physical notebook because, playing on a laptop and sims being pretty resource-intensive, I prefer not to have anything else open on my computer when I'm playing.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    The last time I played TS2, I definitely kept a notebook. My entries were basic. Each family looked like this:

Hanks 103 Beach Grove (this is what I named the house)
    M Thomas 70 days old Business man (5)
    D Christina 70 days old Doctor (Rtr.)
    M Charlie 15 days to adult (5)
    M Trevor 15 days to adult (3)

M = moved meaning they have moved from their original lot - the number at the end tells me what page in my book they are on now
    D = Deceased and keeping track of age tells me how old they were when they passed on
    Rtr. = Retired

I've been thinking of restarting a new game (lost 4 generations with a pretty full neighborhood a few years ago in a catastrophic computer crash) I'm thinking about a spreadsheet this time. Got a pretty good one from TS3 legacy challenge a few years ago.

I keep track for no other reason than fun. I like to see the generations, how old my Sims live and try to make sure they don't all work the same career.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Am adding to my notebook (now that have one) the helpful things learned here on the forums, thread names that have links in them, useful tid-bits from other sites, etc. One of these days may even transcribe the assorted papers and envelopes into it...
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I do. I have a terrible memory and there are gaps between play sessions so its helpful to me to just give my notes a quick read and remember where and what everyone is doing with their lives or what they wish to do with their lives, or just... daily details I may have forgotten.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    I've never even considered keeping a notebook for that sort of thing... :o I quite like the idea! I've only ever kept written lists of names I liked and wanted to use in my legacies, lol. Usually when I play a legacy I'm posting online about I just screenshot scenes that happen and write commentary on it later without much pre-determined thought into what I'm going to write. And I don't usually keep track of other things either. I might start, though, because I like how organized it sounds~
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I think I was on a plane many many years ago and was thinking about Sims and needing to come up with names when babies were born. So I started a baby name list of names I liked. When I got home, I typed out the list and printed it. It's folded up in the front pocket of my "Sims" notebook. Now when a baby is born, I take a look and pick a name that fits with that family and cross it off the list. I also kind of think about what career that baby might end up having and if that name fits an attorney, for instance.

• ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I used to during the ts2 days, I think I'll start back again. I'll do it for ts2,3,&4.