Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Am NOT a Family Player

Comments

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Could not agree more with you on this. "The Sims 4 is only about young adults and/or parties.", is just a big fat lie spread by certain simmers to push their own agenda (which is okay, I mean, there is nothing wrong with articulating ones wish for more content, what bothers me, however, is when simmers do it by emphasizing their arguements through lies which is simply not okay).

The truth is TS4 is lacking in the "YA-A only"-content part the most (and no, I don't want to limit it to Jobs or supernatural powers). I am thinking of stuff (activities, venues, objects etc.) aimed towards simmers who don't have their focus mainly on family gameplay. We've been asking for more adult-oriented content since like forever.

Let's talk about parties for a moment: Their potential is literally a joke compared to previous iterations. The social Events are often just a reskin of each other, they all feel the same to me (which is boring).

Even TS3 University alone, a single ep, provided more party-related objects and activites than TS4 with all its dlcs combined to this date. And don't make me start with TS3 Late Night --> you had different Clubs, bars and Lounges and each of them had their own logic (how sims behaved on the lot) etc.

Anyway, there is hoping that the flood of content dedicated to "family players" comes to an end and EA finally does justice to their Marketing campaign (which is clearly targeting Young adults and their, well, light hearted Lifestyle).

---

Since it fits here:

Something I've noticed is: Nintendo did the same Thing EA has been doing with TS4 since the beginning. Knowing their games/console/the content they provide are not necessary what YA prefer when it comes to gaming they still target them as their MAIN audience (let's be honest, while Nintendo's games are fun and all they are not something YA would consider "cool", for the lack of words).

You can look it up yourself in the official Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

There are ONLY YA and they are shown within a PARTY context (again: this is an ad for a CONSOLE). EA does the same with TS --> using YA gatherings (screenshots etc.) to advertise their packs although the content, the bread and butter of their game is really lacking content that could be considered "interesting" for that demographic in particular (usually young(er) people who ARE NOT simmers already don't care for freaking raising a virtual toddler or dog, let's be honest here). This just does not make sense to me.

When will we get our content? Why is EA silence on Young adult+ Play and Young adult+ Play fans?
    Nintendo isn't geared to adults it for all ages even kids and the sims is the same and since I am a family player I like how it is.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited June 2017
    To suggest that every pack is designed for families is laughable, and hardly true.

That's not what I said.
    I whole heartedly disagree on your 'neutral' base game content. Kids got some toys and playground equipment. YA+ got a whole suite of venues, interactive objects, events, etc. If it was so neutral there wouldn't be the constant flow of feedback that says 'where's the family play?'

Simmers were asking for their Content of choice. Same did I. I doubt that anybody was happy back then, so all this means nothing. Every aspect of the lifesim was crippled, they even fixed the YA+ venues with later dlcs because they were so lacking (Danceclub + bars).

But go ahead and Count all the gameplay items and possibilites for Family (friendly) gameplay and compare it to YA+ only Content (I am talking about the basegame btw, I don't even have to take all the DLC into consideration at this point). Even back then the Claim "Sims 4 is only about YA yadayadayada" was nothing but a lie.

In other words: As a Family you had 100 times more things to do (equals more Content) than as a YA single sim.

And that's no surprise since the amount of gameplay Options is huge when you Play a Family (child, teen, , 2xYA+).

Again: almost everything released in TS4 is compatible with Family play. However: If you don't Play with families then packs such as Parenthood, the Kids-stuffpack or the addition of toddlers etc. are completely worthless.
    You are right on one thing, the balance is totally off. YA female Sims have by far the most CAS stuff, there's hardly any building tools, and gameplay is heavily leaning toward YA+

I agree with you on the first part. While it does not affect me and I couldn't care less for Male sims I can agree on this as well: Male CAS is indeed still lacking compared to female Options, same applies to the Building Tools. But telling me that the General gameplay is heavily leaning towards YA+ is Kind of cynical, don't you think?

Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Nintendo isn't geared to adults it for all ages even kids and the sims is the same and since I am a family player I like how it is.

Have you seen the Trailer? Do you know nintendo's policy regarding Videogames? They are the most Family friendly Company on this planet (of Course, since they started as a toy manufacturer and still Keep this direction going). Look at their mascots, the franchises (games) etc. . Everything screams FAMILY FRIENDLY!

The Wii and Wii-u , both were advertised as a Family console (in their announcement Trailers you see children and families playing Videogames together). Now compare the new Trailer I linked on page 1 to the Image I described. It does not fit. The Content/their games didn't Change but their PR Departement 100% focuses on YA Players all of a sudden ( just like EA does).

"[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm curious: are the family players satisfied now? They weren't before for several reasons and considered the game YA focused too much. It's clear EA has been trying to do something about that, I'm curious if they succeeded for the family oriented players as the topic suggests.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I'm curious: are the family players satisfied now? They weren't before for several reasons and considered the game YA focused too much. It's clear EA has been trying to do something about that, I'm curious if they succeeded for the family oriented players as the topic suggests.

Let me answer this for you joAnne: No.

It's obviously the only answer you can give to this question. And I bet you know why.

• Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited June 2017
    To answer JoAnne's question, I have been satisfied since day 1. Parents being able to give kids long cuddles, kiss their cheek, read them books at any time, express love.. are the interactions that make me feel warmth between them. Though I still want 'play catch, tag, swing kids around'... lol sorry fullspiral.
  • Options

Have you seen the Trailer? Do you know nintendo's policy regarding Videogames? They are the most Family friendly Company on this planet (of Course, since they started as a toy manufacturer and still Keep this direction going). Look at their mascots, the franchises (games) etc. . Everything screams FAMILY FRIENDLY!

The Wii and Wii-u , both were advertised as a Family console (in their announcement Trailers you see children and families playing Videogames together). Now compare the new Trailer I linked on page 1 to the Image I described. It does not fit. The Content/their games didn't Change but their PR Departement 100% focuses on YA Players all of a sudden ( just like EA does).
    Yes and I have a Nintendo Switch and I am telling you its not geared towards adults it geared toward everyone.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree with FullSpiral in the sense that it appears that every time young adults + get new content for them it usually comes with a bar on the lot. Now I don't know if that's to encourage sims to spawn so the lots feel lively but I do agree there is a world of content out there for young adults that don't include a bar/nightclub setting and that makes for some pretty boring game play. The new Stuff pack not included of course. But again young adults already had plenty of gyms in game to go to. I do feel they need something different.

I find it interesting when I last played the sims 4 I noticed that I tend to be bored with the young adult life stage until they have a family. And more often than not after the toddlers age I get bored and start all over. I do feel that unless you like the party lifestyle for your single sims, the game play is a bit lacking.

Compare that to my sims in the sims 2 and 3. With the sims 3 in particular my young adults and actually any sims without children live happy lives, I don't feel bored with lack of activities and actually theres been many a time when I've had to remind myself if I want them to have a child I better get too it soon. My current young adult sim spends her days snorkelling and windsurfing, she has just started the inventing skill and most days she is too tired to go near a bar. I say this because I feel she has so much more choice than her sims 4 "sister" who spends her time fishing as her "hobby" or in a bar/club/gym/spa.

That being said I do think family play can still be improved upon but to be fair lots of different players need some love as well. Deviant players are severely lacking and don't even get me started on builders who seem to have the short end of the straw.

@JoAnne65 As a family player I appreciate EA's effort the past few months but its not hitting the target for me. But that's because to me the AI is still very poor and the family play is still not as good as the previous versions. Not everyone feels this way and I'm happy for those that may now be satisfied. I also know as well that EA could give me every family object I love from the the previous games and it still wouldn't scratch my family play itch because to me family interactions aren't great. When I play the previous games I feel it, I just don't feel it with 4.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    op i am a family player as well but in my case as a family player i like to have a little realisme sometime even if i play with aging fully off i sometime went my sim to be able to clean there house or do chores before they get to enjoy themselves
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Yes and I have a Nintendo Switch and I am telling you its not geared towards adults it geared toward everyone.

Heh?! Yeah, of Course it is. Nintendo is still a Family oriented Company after all. What I was trying to say is that they shifted their Marketing efforts towards YA. With their reveal Trailer (which was the most important part in their whole PR strategy, all eyes were on Nintendo, every Frame of that particular Trailer was important) they wanted to adress their product especially to YA.

You only see YA in that Clip: YA hanging out, YA partying, YA playing alone, it's all about YA.

---

Remember how TS4's Marketing Team "introduced" TS4 to the public? Let's see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjzyPYovdU

Yep, it's YA all over again. YA everywhere.

Does this mean the game is only for YA? Heck no. No idea why you brought this up anyway.

Both companies advertised their products differently in the past, today everything is all about YA. Sadly, TS4's Content does not reflect that in the slightest. On the contrary: It's all about Family Play.

• Options
    edited June 2017

Let me answer this for you joAnne: No.

It's obviously the only answer you can give to this question. And I bet you know why.
    Eh.., no I don't? Because after the complaints toddlers came (and they're good) and Parenthood came. So things changed, I don't get why 'no' would be the obvious answer. The OP seems to think they catered family players better too.
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    To answer JoAnne's question, I have been satisfied since day 1. Parents being able to give kids long cuddles, kiss their cheek, read them books at any time, express love.. are the interactions that make me feel warmth between them. Though I still want 'play catch, tag, swing kids around'... lol sorry fullspiral.
    That's great but I rather meant people who were not satisfied from the get go, did the dissatisfaction change over time is what I meant ;) If you were satisfied to begin with the new developments will have been nothing more but fine tuning.
    @JoAnne65 As a family player I appreciate EA's effort the past few months but its not hitting the target for me. But that's because to me the AI is still very poor and the family play is still not as good as the previous versions. Not everyone feels this way and I'm happy for those that may now be satisfied. I also know as well that EA could give me every family object I love from the the previous games and it still wouldn't scratch my family play itch because to me family interactions aren't great. When I play the previous games I feel it, I just don't feel it with 4.
    Thank you, that's really too bad...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    "That's great but I rather meant people who were not satisfied from the get go, did the dissatisfaction change "

I think so, since toddlers were added and Parenthood gp came out. : )
  • Options

Heh?! Yeah, of Course it is. Nintendo is still a Family oriented Company after all. What I was trying to say is that they shifted their Marketing efforts towards YA. With their reveal Trailer (which was the most important part in their whole PR strategy, all eyes were on Nintendo, every Frame of that particular Trailer was important) they wanted to adress their product especially to YA.

You only see YA in that Clip: YA hanging out, YA partying, YA playing alone, it's all about YA.

---

Remember how TS4's Marketing Team "introduced" TS4 to the public? Let's see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjzyPYovdU

Yep, it's YA all over again. YA everywhere.

Does this mean the game is only for YA? Heck no. No idea why you brought this up anyway.

Both companies advertised their products differently in the past, today everything is all about YA. Sadly, TS4's Content does not reflect that in the slightest. On the contrary: It's all about Family Play.
    It's a reveal trailer that was put out last year and they didn't have a huge launch title of games at the time to display I don't consider Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe adult games they were in that trailer or even Splattoon 2 an adult game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    "That's great but I rather meant people who were not satisfied from the get go, did the dissatisfaction change "

I think so, since toddlers were added and Parenthood gp came out. : )
    Yes, exactly, hence my question. The toddlers are unargumentably very good (but not enough for me because like the OP for me there's more to the game than just family play). I don't have Parenthood though, the package that gave new meaning to family life, hence my curiosity. For people who were satisfied from the beginning it will be the cherry on the cake, but since I was not satisfied myself, I am curious if Parenthood changed things for critical simmers like me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Eh.., no I don't? Because after the complaints toddlers came (and they're good) and Parenthood came. So things changed, I don't get why 'no' would be the obvious answer.

You clearly asked whether Players are satisfied (!) or not. You did not ask if Family Play got better.
    There are two Options why most of them won't say yes:

1) It would prove that I am right with my observation (too much Focus on Family Play).

2) It could negatively affect future Content developement for those who want even more Family gameplay (if they are happy why not please different playstyles as well).

I am sure a question like yours (especially in a thread like this) won't get you accurate answers.

• Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I don't understand this. There is not any more for families to do vs. YAs. In addition to the venues, there are all the skills, the careers, the jobs, the active careers. There's Retail and Restaurant Management. They add things for YA+s and then people complain it's boring - Outdoor Retreat, Spas, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing Wall. And let's not forget collections.

If you compare it to previous iterations, yes, there was more to do but previous iterations are now complete. Sims 4 isn't yet. As far as activities like snorkeling and windsurfing, those activities were added in the last EP for Sims 3. We still don't have Pets and Seasons, but I'm pretty sure they will be added. The biggest difference was Sims 3 WA, which was a very unique EP.

What kind of things would you like to see for YAs and up?
  • Options
    Eh.., no I don't? Because after the complaints toddlers came (and they're good) and Parenthood came. So things changed, I don't get why 'no' would be the obvious answer.

You clearly asked whether Players are satisfied (!) or not. You did not ask if Family Play got better.
    There are two Options why most of them won't say yes:

1) It would prove that I am right with my observation (too much Focus on Family Play).

2) It could negatively affect future Content developement for those who want even more Family gameplay (if they are happy why not please different playstyles as well).

I am sure a question like yours (especially in a thread like this) won't get you accurate answers.
    Yes I did, I asked:
    Family players. It's clear they have been catering the family players lately and I was wondering if this indeed changed matters for those family players.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well they need to stop focusing on bad content in the game and focus more on good content like for exemple washers and dryers more family acvtivatys ect i can even say that partys do not even fit my playstyle i do not even send my sims to bars at night
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I don't understand this. There is not any more for families to do vs. YAs. In addition to the venues, there are all the skills, the careers, the jobs, the active careers. There's Retail and Restaurant Management. They add things for YA+s and then people complain it's boring - Outdoor Retreat, Spas, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing Wall. And let's not forget collections.

If you compare it to previous iterations, yes, there was more to do but previous iterations are now complete. Sims 4 isn't yet. As far as activities like snorkeling and windsurfing, those activities were added in the last EP for Sims 3. We still don't have Pets and Seasons, but I'm pretty sure they will be added. The biggest difference was Sims 3 WA, which was a very unique EP.

Snorkeling and windsurfing were not added in the last EP (which was ITF). And the other EP's also had a lot of activities for YA (I should know, it's my favourite lifestage ;)).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pegasys wrote: »

- a fleshed out Dating app (inspired by tinder) & more romance Options in general
    - EP: college & dorms & roommates
    - GP: bringing back hobbies for adults + teens (--> adding layers onto sim's personality)
    - Lot: Casinos
    - vacation: cruise trip + adventures + going on vacation with friends to have fun
    - expand on parties: Add more objects, activities such as Party games + Bachelor & bachelorette parties

Just to Name a few Things.

Edit: While thinking about it I came to the conclusion that Teens Need some love too. Hopefully we will see prom returning at some Point.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    'and the family play is still not as good as the previous versions.'

I honestly don't see how family play was that good in TS3, when sims with nurturing/family oriented traits, couldn't even give their kids family kisses, cuddles, so on. Whenever I'm playing TS3 families, I want the parents to give child-aged sim a kiss before they go to bed. Or I want the parent to wake up in the middle of the night to check on their child and tuck them in with a kiss. Not possible in TS3 either. And that is now possible in TS4 since parenthood gp.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    "I am curious if Parenthood changed things for critical simmers like me. "

No idea. You prefer young adult sims to go on adventures right? Like in WA. ; )
  • Options
    'and the family play is still not as good as the previous versions.'

I honestly don't see how family play was that good in TS3, when sims with nurturing/family oriented traits, couldn't even give their kids family kisses, cuddles, so on. Whenever I'm playing TS3 families, I want the parents to give child-aged sim a kiss before they go to bed. Or I want the parent to wake up in the middle of the night to check on their child and tuck them in with a kiss. Not possible in TS3 either. And that is now possible in TS4 since parenthood gp.
    Sims can hug their kids and read them bedtime stories, and kids can play tag and other games so there is that of course. I don't know what exactly is possible for children now in Sims 4, but for kids in 3 there's a lot to do. Hugging and cuddling and tucking in is not essential to everyone ;)
    "I am curious if Parenthood changed things for critical simmers like me. "

No idea. You prefer young adult sims to go on adventures right? Like in WA. ; )
    I'm in fact an allround player. I love adventuring with sims, playing out their careers, play their love stories, travel to the future etc etc, but I also love to play the family life. Sometimes after the adventures, sometimes during. I want the game to be allround, not just focusing on one aspect. Features for kids, pregnancies, daily life are equally important to me. I mean, the YA's are my focus, but I wouldn't enjoy them as much without the family aspect.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    "Hugging and cuddling and tucking in is not essential to everyone "

It is essential to me. To others, playing tag and kids having a lot of toys to play with is enough to make family play good in Ts3. For me it isn't. : / Also, what nurturing, family oriented person doesn't like to put arms around their kids while watching tv?

'and read them bedtime stories,'

Yeah but what if I want the sim parent to tuck them in without having to read a book first? See.. I can't.
    Post edited by Sofmc9 on