Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seriously, why are we still having these build issues?!

Comments

• vivica86vivica86 Posts: 231 Member
    Lofts and roofs- so frustrating. It took me forever to get the roof on this loft to look like I wanted it to. Tons of trial and error.

full

I wound up doing a walkway over the very front part of the loft which the game then treated as a closed room, and that kept the roof from peeking through.

Is this on the gallery? It's gorgeous!
    Let me take you down, cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields... <3
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Of course you can't pull a full roof through the second floor of the house and not have it cut through. Try it in real life, it wont work either.
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Of course you can't pull a full roof through the second floor of the house and not have it cut through. Try it in real life, it wont work either.

There is no "of course" about it and real life has nothing to do with it either. When you are building a normal second storey, with full flooring throughout (ie, not a loft), the game is programmed so that you can stretch a roof across the top of the lower storey and the roof will not show inside the upper storey. It was the same in Sims 3. Try it and see.

• StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    > @Piperbird said:
    > Simpkin wrote: »
    >
    > can you not use the wall-less floor thing that indicates a room. I dunno how to explain that thing and can't remember what it's called in the game.
    > I agree with the floor thing though, about deleting it. I never really build but have been recently and the floor deleting thing happened to me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's actually what I ended up doing to make the loft. But you still can't make the roof not come through if you use half walls or railings so you can look downstairs. I can make a wall and use window cutouts, and that works, but it doesn't look at all like what I wanted. I had SO many ideas for lofted libraries, bedrooms, balconies over pools in sunken sunrooms, and the game just doesn't let you. Unless you like flat rooftops. That's really the only way you can do it. Is there a mod or anything, that can force the game to recognize something as a closed room? I've never used a mod, but I am almost tempted to.

Look in the gallery at ( Fishermans Cottage Love). it has an upstairs loft and you can walk around and look down at the downstairs, also a bedroom and bath. that would be for sims 4, not sims3.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
    I wish we had the auto roof in Sims 4. that made everything easy.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited June 2017
    It's doable using 5 roof parts on the bottom storey, 3 half hipped and 2 half gable pieces.

2RNuiqp.png

LJAZCVU.png
    > @sawdust said:
    > It's doable using 5 roof parts on the bottom storey, 3 half hipped and 2 half gable pieces.

great job, your right you can not always just use a one piece roof
  • spiffehspiffeh Posts: 41 Member
    > @Piperbird said:
    > Simanite wrote: »
    >
    > But... toddlers.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah. I am really happy everyone got them, but I never cared one bit for them, and have not played them even once. Literally the only enjoyable part of this game for me has been the building. Everything else is so broken I gave up playing more than a year ago. I love playing TS3 and TSM, but build mode for TS4 really blew me away. I had a great time building for a long time. But as I tried to branch out into new build ideas, I just kept hitting snags. It's like the designers didn't even talk to each other. The two roof types don't match each other, there is a round floor but not a round roof option, paint schemes for 'matching' doors and windows don't actually match, it's like the sent 20 people to different cities to design the game, and didn't let any of them talk to each other at all. Maybe it has gotten better with some of the newer packs, but I just can't bring myself to buy them.

Roofing frustrates me to no end and I'm not even a very dedicated builder, but sometimes I like a break from my normal playing to build.
    > @spiffeh said:
    > > @Piperbird said:
    > > Simanite wrote: »
    > >
    > > But... toddlers.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Yeah. I am really happy everyone got them, but I never cared one bit for them, and have not played them even once. Literally the only enjoyable part of this game for me has been the building. Everything else is so broken I gave up playing more than a year ago. I love playing TS3 and TSM, but build mode for TS4 really blew me away. I had a great time building for a long time. But as I tried to branch out into new build ideas, I just kept hitting snags. It's like the designers didn't even talk to each other. The two roof types don't match each other, there is a round floor but not a round roof option, paint schemes for 'matching' doors and windows don't actually match, it's like the sent 20 people to different cities to design the game, and didn't let any of them talk to each other at all. Maybe it has gotten better with some of the newer packs, but I just can't bring myself to buy them.
    >
    > Roofing frustrates me to no end and I'm not even a very dedicated builder, but sometimes I like a break from my normal playing to build.

We do need different building heights or levels. you may not want your gazebo the same height from the ground as your home.
    Seems to me each person was told to design a little bit on the building parts as a sidekick. then they just put it all in build and left it up to us to make sense of it all. Now even when we make a wall to use as a fence. if you raise your house foundation you also give the fence the same foundation because they are walls as well, when you add a gate you would need steps to get in the gate. They had to know that lol.
  • spiffehspiffeh Posts: 41 Member
    > @Stormsview said:
    > > @spiffeh said:
    > > > @Piperbird said:
    > > > Simanite wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > But... toddlers.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Yeah. I am really happy everyone got them, but I never cared one bit for them, and have not played them even once. Literally the only enjoyable part of this game for me has been the building. Everything else is so broken I gave up playing more than a year ago. I love playing TS3 and TSM, but build mode for TS4 really blew me away. I had a great time building for a long time. But as I tried to branch out into new build ideas, I just kept hitting snags. It's like the designers didn't even talk to each other. The two roof types don't match each other, there is a round floor but not a round roof option, paint schemes for 'matching' doors and windows don't actually match, it's like the sent 20 people to different cities to design the game, and didn't let any of them talk to each other at all. Maybe it has gotten better with some of the newer packs, but I just can't bring myself to buy them.
    > >
    > > Roofing frustrates me to no end and I'm not even a very dedicated builder, but sometimes I like a break from my normal playing to build.
    >
    >
    > We do need different building heights or levels. you may not want your gazebo the same height from the ground as your home.
    > Seems to me each person was told to design a little bit on the building parts as a sidekick. then they just put it all in build and left it up to us to make sense of it all. Now even when we make a wall to use as a fence. if you raise your house foundation you also give the fence the same foundation because they are walls as well, when you add a gate you would need steps to get in the gate. They had to know that lol.

The separate steps for the gate thing got me the other day! It was so annoying.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I'm having exactly the same issue with that.
    Why don't they just let us delete a single tile of floor instead of the whole floor?!
    We can't even build a proper mansion staircase room

Sometimes I miss TS3 Build mode, it had much more features even though it was "harder" to use for new players.
    a256aFi.gif
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    sawdust wrote: »
    It's doable using 5 roof parts on the bottom storey, 3 half hipped and 2 half gable pieces.

2RNuiqp.png

LJAZCVU.png

This is exactly what I ended up doing. It isn't at all the look I wanted, but I didn't really have any other choice. But this presented a new problem. I hate the way the edge of the roof looks. But go ahead and place one of the roof trim options on it and watch what happens to the inside of your room. That was the point I went to bed in frustration.

You can, though. If you have a normal second story, or if you use the full wall and have the open area (as opposed to a half wall or fencing), you can pull a full roof through the second floor of the house with no problems. The game recognizes there is a room there, and leaves the room cut out in the roof exactly the way it should. The moment you change that to a half wall or fence, the game no longer sees that as a closed room. At some point in the coding, someone entered 'full wall = room' 'half wall/ fence =/= room'. We need to find that jerkface and tell him to fix that coding!
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
    @Piperbird, I totally sympathize with your frustrations. A suggestion for the roof edging:- Instead of using a roof trim, try placing a wall trim around the perimeter of your roof (not a frieze, but one of those trims that goes round the bottom of a wall). To do this, you will need to place a floor on top of your roof area (fence it all in and then knock down the fences, or use the that fenceless platform thing; then put your roof back on top of it). This will enable you to place a wall trim all around the outside edge of that "floor", where the roof meets it. This should neaten the edge of your roof and make a roof trim unnecessary. A warning, though -- the trim will also show around the bottom of the open area inside your loft, but if you choose one that is narrow and not too obtrusive, that could look quite good. Anyway, it's just a suggestion.
  • sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    This is exactly what I ended up doing. It isn't at all the look I wanted, but I didn't really have any other choice. But this presented a new problem. I hate the way the edge of the roof looks. But go ahead and place one of the roof trim options on it and watch what happens to the inside of your room. That was the point I went to bed in frustration.

Yes, you can't use the square or bevelled because, for reasons that are beyond me, EA has the trim going round the part of the roof that butts up against the wall. Also the angled, which looks good on the gable sections, looks different on the hipped sections and doesn't line up properly.

Build mode is full of "indiscretions" if you look closely. Best not to look too close. ;)
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Then, don't play the game anymore if you only enjoy building and it's too limiting/buggy for you.

Then, don't watch/read this thread if you only enjoy positive feedback and this one crawls under your skin. :)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    sawdust wrote: »
    Yes, you can't use the square or bevelled because, for reasons that are beyond me, EA has the trim going round the part of the roof that butts up against the wall. Also the angled, which looks good on the gable sections, looks different on the hipped sections and doesn't line up properly.

I am almost willing to swear that this is a problem that has only shown up lately. I don't remember it happening in the beginning, but recently I noticed it when I was playing in one of my older builds. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it before if it had been there right from the start, because it irritates the heck out of me.
    Maybe the new puppies have been chewing on the building tools again.? :)
    Stormsview wrote: »
    Maybe the new puppies have been chewing on the building tools again.? :)

Ah, those naughty puppies! ;)
    haha, funny
    > @FreezerBunnyCowplant said:
    > I'm having exactly the same issue with that.
    > Why don't they just let us delete a single tile of floor instead of the whole floor?!
    > We can't even build a proper mansion staircase room
    >
    > Sometimes I miss TS3 Build mode, it had much more features even though it was "harder" to use for new players.

That's not so hard just think like a backward computer.
    > @DeKay said:
    > Then, don't play the game anymore if you only enjoy building and it's too limiting/buggy for you.

That's not fair to say If someone enjoys building in the game that's good too. and we love to get gifts in the gallery. You just play the game your way and let others enjoy it their way. without saying they should not play. No one is boss off the anothers game. Builders are creative people.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2017
    Still look at my sun loft house I posted it here in early posts Its a 3 story house because the loft has a sunroof on it.

Here is the link to it a fully functional house ready to be plopped into the neighborhood.
    https://www.thesims.com/gallery/1B2F6FB5529911E780743A4C1C746172?
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    edited June 2017
    Stormsview wrote: »
    > @DeKay said:
    > Then, don't play the game anymore if you only enjoy building and it's too limiting/buggy for you.

That's not fair to say If someone enjoys building in the game that's good too. and we love to get gifts in the gallery. You just play the game your way and let others enjoy it their way. without saying they should not play. No one is boss off the anothers game. Builders are creative people.

The reason why I reacted this way is cuz Piperbird has always been complaining about the game since a few months after its release. So, I've come to the conclusion that they are just struggling to enjoy the game. OP has also tried playing in Live Mode and didn't like it, and I know that they enjoy building in the game, which is why I said that they should maybe stop if building is limiting since I don't think OP likes most of the other game features anyway. And it's kinda painful for me to watch another simmer 'forcing' themselves to play the game cuz I know the limitations will get to them quicker.

To be fair, I like building too but I just learn to accept some of its limitations and just try to find a workaround. The Sims is not a game solely on building, so it should make sense that it has limitations here and there.
    DeKay wrote: »
    Then, don't play the game anymore if you only enjoy building and it's too limiting/buggy for you.

Then, don't watch/read this thread if you only enjoy positive feedback and this one crawls under your skin. :)

Refer to my comment above.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    OP probably isn't force but enjoy some aspects of the game that keeps him playing that you may not known of.
    NNpYlHF.jpg