Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Notifications when being quoted

i wish we would get notifications when our comments are being quoted by other people. :|:|

Comments

• MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Ya same, but I guess it's not possible, but yea it's something I hate, I have to go check the threads I posted in to see if someone replied to me or not.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    If you go on your profile page and go into your personal Settings, there's a check box with the option to be notified when someone mentions you in a discussion. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.
  • ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited June 2017
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    If you go on your profile page and go into your personal Settings, there's a check box with the option to be notified when someone mentions you in a discussion. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.
    It always used to work, it stopped some time ago, maybe a year, probably not that long.

I do still see a 'mention' number flash up sometimes when I'm quoted or my ID is mentioned but it is quite hit-and-miss. The trouble now is that the notification page now lists EVERY time someone comments in a thread I've ever bookmarked so it's nearly impossible to find the actual mentions! :rage:
    Post edited by ajaxpost on
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    I used to get a notification when I was quoted. I think I stopped getting them about 6 months ago, give or take. It is rather annoying, having to remember what threads to check.
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I also used to get notifications when I was either quoted or someone mentioned me directly with the "@" symbol, but that quit working for me right around the time the forums were restructured.
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited June 2017
    It could be made possible if Maxis is willing to download plugins for this forum software. But not all plugins are safe and could potentially compromise/breach levels of that forum's security and more, so I can understand if they don't feel comfortable using 3rd-party tools not directly supported by Vanilla Forums.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    Trowicia wrote: »
    It could be made possible if Maxis is willing to download plugins for this forum software. But not all plugins are safe and could potentially compromise/breach levels of that forum's security and more, so I can understand if they don't feel comfortable using 3rd-party tools not directly supported by Vanilla Forums.
    i just think its sad how both game & forums are broken :'(
    its almost like they cant do anything right... just like me...
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2017
    Deleted.................
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Deleted.................

:*<3
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Deleted.................

:*<3

I saw that! :o
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    edited July 2017
    I didn't even know it used to work when someone quoted you. :D

EDIT: Wait, I have that option ticked, but it has never worked for me ever since I was here (which is like 3 years).
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    That's such a bummer that mentions don't work for you. :( I haven't had any trouble with mentions. I bookmark threads and use that page to see if there are new posts to read so the only time I get notifications is for badges, mentions, and comments on my own discussion threads. I've made it work for me.
    notifications.png

But yah, I do wish we'd be notified if someone quoted us. That would be heaven. :)
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    edited July 2017
    DeKay wrote: »

EDIT: Wait, I have that option ticked, but it has never worked for me ever since I was here (which is like 3 years).

@DeKay I just wanted to clear something up - mentions are when someone @ s you, not when you're quoted alone. I've done both here so you should get a notification. If not I'll stop sticking my nose in your business. :joy:

Sorry if you knew this already, I just wanted to be helpful after I reread your post. :)

Edit: Also, I would have put this all in one message but it doesn't alert people if you @ them in an edit.
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Meggles wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »

@DeKay I just wanted to clear something up - mentions are when someone @ s you, not when you're quoted alone. I've done both here so you should get a notification. If not I'll stop sticking my nose in your business. :joy:

Sorry if you knew this already, I just wanted to be helpful after I reread your post. :)

Edit: Also, I would have put this all in one message but it doesn't alert people if you @ them in an edit.

Ah okay. Yeah the '@'s works for me.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Turned the notifications off long ago. I don't need assailed by pop-ups every time somebody goes postal because I like the wrong video game.
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Turned the notifications off long ago. I don't need assailed by pop-ups every time somebody goes postal because I like the wrong video game.

:'(:'(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »

It does..sometimes.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.