Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What don't you like about toddlers?

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Nothing wrong on principle about a rant if it's clearly labeled as such and nobody's attacked. It sure can clear the head.

I used to hate toddlers when they were barely one step above objects, made my peace with them in Sims 4. But, yes, my first thought was "delay that paticular update as long as possible", too.
  • Brody9962Brody9962 Posts: 272 Member
    PlumDiddy wrote: »
    If this is an article about "your" opinions then why do you need the opinions of others? Arent you writing about how YOU feel? Why do you need to know if others agree w/you or not?
    And fyi anything with the word HATE in it is about hate. So it is a HATE article about a problem you have that already has a very nifty solution to it.
    Age em up. Age em up quick!!

I am only asking for others opinions, It is just pure curiosity. I dont NEED to know, but figured hey lets start a conversation about it
    Nothing wrong on principle about a rant if it's clearly labeled as such and nobody's attacked. It sure can clear the head.

I used to hate toddlers when they were barely one step above objects, made my peace with them in Sims 4. But, yes, my first thought was "delay that paticular update as long as possible", too.

Right? I am not attacking anyone who likes toddlers, cuz to each their own
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    A toddler should be able to ride a coffee table like it is a horse.
    LOL Now that would be awfully funny
    A toddler should be able to flood the bathroom by turning the bath taps on - they can reach the taps;

A toddler should be able to block the toilet.
    A toddler should be able to get its paws on a piece of artwork sitting on an easel - finished or not - that a Sim has been painting. The toddler should be able to add their paw prints on it or smudge it.
    A toddler should be able to swing on the curtains.
    You have so many awesome ideas lol and each one is making me laugh.,
    They steal my ideas.

Some of my ideas are in the game.

I call Mortimer Goth a bipedal rodent.

They added it into the game for teens that don't like children - the teen has a moodlet that refers to a child/toddler as a 'bipedal rat' - ie they didn't fully steal my idea - just changed it and thought I would not notice.

They steal tons of my ideas.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited June 2017
    Brody9962 wrote: »
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    I'll mention my thoughts,
    -Toddlers are the way to high maintenance for me, you have to teach them and train them., and its just way too much work for me. With toddlers, I don't have much time to enjoy the game as it sits
    -They are completely immune to death? That's not realistic at all...if a house catches on fire and your real toddler gets caught in it, they don't survive but the Sims toddlers do. So this means my toddlers in the game are even impervious to fire/
    -potty training is annoying....
    -I hated toddlers in 2 & 3 (Never played 1), and I surely didn't want them in 4...are they easier to deal with? Sure...but I much prefer Teenagers and above and tolerate child age, My babies & toddlers age up instantly so I can skip this age...I hate it so much.

As a rl mom of two toddlers....I'd be pretty darn heartbroken seeing a two year old burned in a fire....imo. And since in a lot of occasions, my kids sometimes play the game with me...I can't imagine how I could explain that.

But overall even though I don't agree with them, I respect your thoughts regardless, so continue.
    I am one of those players who actually enjoy the death of the sims, In fact, I bought spa day strictly for a death. I am a RL mom of 3 children myself, ages 10-14. So believe me, I know how heart breaking that stuff CAN be, though, I look at it as just a game, and that's how I explain it to my kids. That it is just a game. Then agian, I do some crazy stuff with my sims that my kids can't even play my version of sims,. so I have back up account for them to play on a different computer. I would be interested in hearing yours? What is it you don't like about them, if any, or if not, what is it you wish they included in them or hope to see in the future

I find it a bit tougher to explain it to a 2 and 4 year old. And understandable all of us simmers play differently.

And my thoughts?

Well I have a whole thread that I made back in September of 2014. After playing the game without being able to make a family that I related to (like weather i'm making an older or young family) I literally cried. and my kids couldn't relate to the "child" because they were too tall, and they couldn't do all the things the "big kid" could do. But then after thinking about it, my kids were able to do a bunch of things that the previous 2 and 3 toddlers couldn't do. Then It came to me that perhaps that's what generally made some simmers dislike them. And at that moment I decided to create that mega thread of how I felt the "new" toddlers could be like.

Other simmers also came up with ideas both in my thread and in maannny others (you should see the 'glance at toddler' ideas thread xD). And finally after thousands of ideas, parenting system ideas, and explaining why so many wanted them, they returned to us better than ever and soon after parenthood came as well <3.

Honestly I can't think of a single thing in my experience that would allow me to 'hate' ts4 toddlers. I simply enjoy the challenge and chaos lol <3. Not to mention, they feel far more emotional then the other lifestages imo which I find rather awesome. My playstyle is..hmm 'Choatic family play/Legacies" I suppose lol. I had always found the teens to be random roomates and child to be waaaay to perfect in my opinion. Luckily parenthood finally makes them feel like true kids to me.

There's soo much I'm excited to see for toddlers which Is why i'm hoping sooo much for a stuff pack for them!

Here's a small example of what i'm crossing my fingers to see in a sp:
    • Coloring Books
    • Play Kitchents
    • Powerwheels
    • Toddler tables! that way they can eat their food their if they don't wish to go in a highchair
    • Booster seats. More space towards the table
    • Kiddie Pools
    • Dolls
    • a random dino costume for them to dress up and play "terrorize home" :lol:
    • Tiny bunk beds (great for multiples)
    • A 'hold hand' interaction or a backpack harness
    • nursery games like "duck, duck goose"
    • Preschool (will probably be in a school pack but you get the idea lol)
    • baby drums

Edit: Just noticed I actually became the thread in september :lol: .
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • tiffrenee07tiffrenee07 Posts: 682 Member
    PlumDiddy wrote: »
    If this is an article about "your" opinions then why do you need the opinions of others? Arent you writing about how YOU feel? Why do you need to know if others agree w/you or not?
    And fyi anything with the word HATE in it is about hate. So it is a HATE article about a problem you have that already has a very nifty solution to it.
    Age em up. Age em up quick!!

I am only asking for others opinions, It is just pure curiosity. I dont NEED to know, but figured hey lets start a conversation about it

Oh ok, I was going to ask that question as well. There's nothing wrong with curiosity. In my case, I love the toddlers, though I wish there were more things for them to play with and more hair.
    Toddlers are nothing - mere husks - without the Daycare career.

384% of Simmers want a Daycare career.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited June 2017
    Edited: To add to this: The article is NOT a hate piece on toddlers by any means whatsoever, My article will be titled "Why I hate toddlers in The Sims 4" Not "why are they a bad idea"

Sorry, that's just really confusing. Your article isn't a hate piece but the title is going to be why you HATE toddlers? That's pretty much the definition of a "hate piece", lol.
    Like I mentioned, your opinions will not even be used in my article at all as this is MY views and my views alone

Yet more confusion. What does this have to do with the article if it's only about YOUR opinions? Honestly, it sounds like you're asking people to give you suggestions for why YOU should hate toddlers....which is basically what you appeared to say at the being of your OP:
    I am working on an article, and well, Just for research purposes but what I am looking for is reasons you hate the toddlers...even if you don't hate the toddlers in The Sims, then I am sure there is something you don't like about them. So let me know :) What is it you don't like about the toddlers?

I'm not even sure what the real point of all this, but I'll add my irrelevant opinion that I don't "hate" anything about toddlers. Are there things that I might do differently with them or change? Sure....but nothing that would rise to the level of "hate". I'm more interested in why you "hate" toddlers:
    -Toddlers are the way to high maintenance for me, you have to teach them and train them., and its just way too much work for me. With toddlers, I don't have much time to enjoy the game as it sits
    -They are completely immune to death? That's not realistic at all...if a house catches on fire and your real toddler gets caught in it, they don't survive but the Sims toddlers do. So this means my toddlers in the game are even impervious to fire/
    -I hated toddlers in 2 & 3 (Never played 1), and I surely didn't want them in 4...are they easier to deal with? Sure...but I much prefer Teenagers and above and tolerate child age, My babies & toddlers age up instantly so I can skip this age...I hate it so much.

As to your first point, there actually isn't all that much you need to do to teach or train them. They can gain imagination, communication and thinking on their own. Throw down a toy, a stuffed animal, a tablet, a set of blocks and give them literally anyone to talk to and they can max out those 3 skills without any teaching whatsoever....obviously, teaching will level the skills faster. For movement, you need to carry them up and down stairs until they hit level 2, which happens rather quickly, but other than that, they are self-sufficient for leveling movement. For potty training, they need to get to level 2 to use the potty on their own, and that happens pretty quickly...after that you can direct them to go on their own...and at level 3 potty training, they go own their own without direction. For food, you can put food on the counter or a table or even the floor and they will grab a plate themselves. You do have to bathe them but once you've done the potty training, their hygiene bar goes down rather slowly.

As to the second point, I'm not sure what sort of virtual torture you would like to be able to inflict on toddlers, but I can certainly see why the developers of this game chose not to create scenarios where sim toddlers burn up in fires. I'm sure there is a mod somewhere which allows toddler deaths if that's what floats your boat.

As to the third point, see above in regards to the first point.

As to the final point, this may be the most telling of all. You admittedly hated toddlers before they were ever added to the game and don't play them. So I'm not really sure what the point of this exercise is other than maybe you'll feel better about the fact that you hate toddlers if other people say they hate toddlers too? If you don't even play toddlers and just age them up anyway, then why do you care....oh well, good luck with the article.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited June 2017
    Sounds more like a clickbait headline to me, like it belongs alongside, You Won't Believe What This Mom Discovered In Her Basement...

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    What I don't like about the toddlers so far :
    - There aren't enough hairstyles for all the toddlers I'm planning to have ! :D More generally there aren't that many CAS assets to choose from. Perhaps I have too many toddlers, or there aren't enough assets. So I hope that's something they'll expand in the near future.
    - There aren't that many outdoor activities for them at the moment. New toys and activities for my toddlers will hopefully come in the future too : especially outdoors and noisy ones (like a piano or a firetruck >:) )
    - When they are at the beginning of the motor skill, and they lose balance, it looks a bit unnatural to me. But that's probably something I'll get used to over time.
    - Interactions between toddlers could be expanded too. Perhaps it was because my little toddler was still at level 1 in communication but I didn't have any available with his cousin.

That's pretty much all I can think of. I'm really happy with the gameplay that is what I expected from the toddlers and really close to what I posted in the toddler threads, several skills, a focus on learning, emotions that are more volatile. And I'm really enjoying the chaos and the cuteness they bring to my households.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited June 2017

Well I don't hate the current toddlers.

I have disliked them in prior versions because basically all they were or could be was another chore for my sims. I did think the toddlers in 2 were cute but I rarely used needs cheats so they just weren't worth it unless I was doing some sort of challenge or self challenge play.
    This time around they are so much easier to take care of, and so frickin cute. They can put themselves to bed or sleep anywhere. They can eat in more ways also you just set out a plate and they can grab it themselves. In this way for more deviant or realistic players or story makers you can create households where they kids aren't catered too, coddled or anything along those lines if you want or chose too.
    I do kind of wish toddlers could die in this version .. but not in so many ways. Then the modding community could take over for other deaths that the main game probably shouldn't have in it.
    I'd also like them to keep the social service aspect though so no clue how that could be worked around. Maybe a drop down for a neglected child that gave the option of social worker or death. I'd like toddler ghosts to be possible also.
    Potty training is no where near as much as a chore as it was before by the way. Sure you have to do one session and frankly if you don't want to train them you don't have too they can use the diaper. You can even leave it stinky until you give them a bath. (Bad parenting but.. not like we all haven't seen it at one point or another).
    I don't get why you would have to do a hate article on them though. You already have your solution if you don't want to play with them.

My question is to what end are you writing an article? Maybe you are doing your piece to request an option not to have them? You need to be realistic in that it is a life stage.
    Personally I think at this point EA learned their lesson in not including them up front.

egTcBMc.png
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Not enough CAS items other than that I think they are the best toddlers we've had in the sims
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I would not say "hate" the only thing I dont like about toddlers is they were not intergrated into any of the packs prior to their arival. Cant buy clothes for them with Get To Work cant eat out with them with Dine Out cant have a toddler club with Get Together and they cant go inside the tent with Outdoor Retreat and also no outdoor activities/playground equipment for them there's nothing they can do in parks or the backyard.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have to agree with @JimG72

Seems like you, the OP, are just trying to get some kind of justification for your own hate of toddlers. Or write a blog post titled: "Why I hate toddlers and other simmers agree!" Or you could just be trying to incite a full on toddler war here among other simmers. Or D : All the above. At any rate, however you feel about toddlers is fine and dandy, but why would a personal article that is strictly your opinion need the reassurance of others? Seems no beuno to me. But, for the sake of your article being completely accurate when you title it that all other simmers agree with your hate piece, I hate that toddlers are so limited on CAS items. And I really hate that we had to wait nearly 3 years to get them. But, the fact that they were done so well and are so amazing makes me forgive Maxis for making me wait so long.

Edit to add:

Considering you posted another thread about how you write articles for a different site, I'm even more inclined to believe you are not writing this as a personal article strictly about your opinions but more wanting others to agree with you so you can say how all simmers hate toddlers
    Post edited by DivieOwl on
    I am not looking to get a reassurance of others. Your entitled to your opinions, but so many times I see only ONE side of things, so I am writing the other side. I had to ban someone off my youtube channel for calling me all sorts of names just for stating in a Livestream "I can't stand toddlers" and no matter how many times I told her that it was my opinion and I respected hers, she ended up being banned, and it wasn;t because we had difference of opinions, it is because she would not let up and kept basically disrespecting, so one of my mods @DapperPaperBag ended up banning her.
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Edited: To add to this: The article is NOT a hate piece on toddlers by any means whatsoever, My article will be titled "Why I hate toddlers in The Sims 4" Not "why are they a bad idea"

Sorry, that's just really confusing. Your article isn't a hate piece but the title is going to be why you HATE toddlers? That's pretty much the definition of a "hate piece", lol.
    Like I mentioned, your opinions will not even be used in my article at all as this is MY views and my views alone

Yet more confusion. What does this have to do with the article if it's only about YOUR opinions? Honestly, it sounds like you're asking people to give you suggestions for why YOU should hate toddlers....which is basically what you appeared to say at the being of your OP:
    I am working on an article, and well, Just for research purposes but what I am looking for is reasons you hate the toddlers...even if you don't hate the toddlers in The Sims, then I am sure there is something you don't like about them. So let me know :) What is it you don't like about the toddlers?

I'm not even sure what the real point of all this, but I'll add my irrelevant opinion that I don't "hate" anything about toddlers. Are there things that I might do differently with them or change? Sure....but nothing that would rise to the level of "hate". I'm more interested in why you "hate" toddlers:

As to your first point, there actually isn't all that much you need to do to teach or train them. They can gain imagination, communication and thinking on their own. Throw down a toy, a stuffed animal, a tablet, a set of blocks and give them literally anyone to talk to and they can max out those 3 skills without any teaching whatsoever....obviously, teaching will level the skills faster. For movement, you need to carry them up and down stairs until they hit level 2, which happens rather quickly, but other than that, they are self-sufficient for leveling movement. For potty training, they need to get to level 2 to use the potty on their own, and that happens pretty quickly...after that you can direct them to go on their own...and at level 3 potty training, they go own their own without direction. For food, you can put food on the counter or a table or even the floor and they will grab a plate themselves. You do have to bathe them but once you've done the potty training, their hygiene bar goes down rather slowly.

As to the second point, I'm not sure what sort of virtual torture you would like to be able to inflict on toddlers, but I can certainly see why the developers of this game chose not to create scenarios where sim toddlers burn up in fires. I'm sure there is a mod somewhere which allows toddler deaths if that's what floats your boat.

As to the third point, see above in regards to the first point.

As to the final point, this may be the most telling of all. You admittedly hated toddlers before they were ever added to the game and don't play them. So I'm not really sure what the point of this exercise is other than maybe you'll feel better about the fact that you hate toddlers if other people say they hate toddlers too? If you don't even play toddlers and just age them up anyway, then why do you care....oh well, good luck with the article.

For the record, I dont need to someone to say they hate toddlers in order for me to feel better about hating them. I don't need YOU or anyojne else to validate my opinions on them.
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    I have to agree with @JimG72

Seems like you, the OP, are just trying to get some kind of justification for your own hate of toddlers. Or write a blog post titled: "Why I hate toddlers and other simmers agree!" Or you could just be trying to incite a full on toddler war here among other simmers. Or D: All the above. At any rate, however you feel about toddlers is fine and dandy, but why would a personal article that is strictly your opinion need the reassurance of others? Seems no beuno to me. But, for the sake of your article being completely accurate when you title it that all other simmers agree with your hate piece, I hate that toddlers are so limited on CAS items. And I really hate that we had to wait nearly 3 years to get them. But, the fact that they were done so well and are so amazing makes me forgive Maxis for making me wait so long.

Edit to add:

Considering you posted another thread about how you write articles for a different site, I'm even more inclined to believe you are not writing this as a personal article strictly about your opinions but more wanting others to agree with you so you can say how all simmers hate toddlers

I didnt say I wrote articles for a different site, the site I write articles is for is only one site, dvs gaming.
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

Well I don't hate the current toddlers.

I have disliked them in prior versions because basically all they were or could be was another chore for my sims. I did think the toddlers in 2 were cute but I rarely used needs cheats so they just weren't worth it unless I was doing some sort of challenge or self challenge play.
    This time around they are so much easier to take care of, and so frickin cute. They can put themselves to bed or sleep anywhere. They can eat in more ways also you just set out a plate and they can grab it themselves. In this way for more deviant or realistic players or story makers you can create households where they kids aren't catered too, coddled or anything along those lines if you want or chose too.
    I do kind of wish toddlers could die in this version .. but not in so many ways. Then the modding community could take over for other deaths that the main game probably shouldn't have in it.
    I'd also like them to keep the social service aspect though so no clue how that could be worked around. Maybe a drop down for a neglected child that gave the option of social worker or death. I'd like toddler ghosts to be possible also.
    Potty training is no where near as much as a chore as it was before by the way. Sure you have to do one session and frankly if you don't want to train them you don't have too they can use the diaper. You can even leave it stinky until you give them a bath. (Bad parenting but.. not like we all haven't seen it at one point or another).
    I don't get why you would have to do a hate article on them though. You already have your solution if you don't want to play with them.

My question is to what end are you writing an article? Maybe you are doing your piece to request an option not to have them? You need to be realistic in that it is a life stage.
    Personally I think at this point EA learned their lesson in not including them up front.

The article is nothing more then an editorial, It is not to request an option not to have them. Nothing more then an editorial,I am realistic in the fact that it is a life stage, but it doesn't have to mean I have to like it. and like anyone else, I am entitled to basically say "I dont like this., or I hate this" and write about it in what is basically nothing more then a glorified blog post under the name (editorial). It's not a news piece, it's not a petition to try and get EA to give ME what I want, because I got the big thing I cared most about getting in the sims, Vampires.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @Brody9962
    Okay fair enough :)
    egTcBMc.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top