Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Long Haul Reading Circle

Comments

• ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    @ninaumi Thanks for pointing that out. I think I have fixed it now.
  • PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    Everyone's got great-looking stories so far, and I can't wait to read more.

Also @pickledsimmer congrats on the incoming baby! Here's to a safe delivery and easy first few months. And hopes for a short search for a house.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • SmallSeven01SmallSeven01 Posts: 312 Member
    edited June 2017
    ninaumi wrote: »
    @ny275 I see that on number 4 there is a wrong link.

Guys, your stories' beginnings are quite awesome, I really want more! :)

Btw. @SmallSeven01 Zaiden Dove is handsome! :smiley:

Thanks @ninaumi he is my favourite sim ever! And it was game genetics too!

@Asaoyoru
    Love the start of Hannah's story! She reacted so sweetly to finding out she had won the right to founding Newcrest.

@pickledsimmer Love the start so far. Going to be an interesting fight to see who wins!

A sorta-kinda pinned intro post is out!

http://sims4fitzgeralds.blogspot.com/2017/06/about-this-blog.html

It should be the featured post on my site, so that anyone going to the home page of the site can click it and (eventually) click the bolded generation to access the link to the first post of the generation.
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    I wrote a new chapter. It serves as kind of a prelude to some happenings in the future.

Success and Love 1/2
  • AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm caught up with everyone's stories and responses now and can talk about what I've read, yay! I'll just go in order of slots in the reading circle and write everything in spoilers for each of you. If you prefer comments on WP/your blog, just let me know and I'll switch to that.

In general: It's so cool how nearly all of you have democracy as a heir choosing device. I was very hesistant of doing that, because I feared nobody would vote and/or read my story anyway and I would end up with no votes and having to choose the heir myself anyway. But I will definitely vote for each of your future heirs because I love this way of picking!

@ny275
    • I like how you kept the heir vote so that you can choose what you want when you like. I feel that's a very convenient failsafe for when you fall in love with an heir and don't want to lose him due to voting! Nice idea!
    • I love pomegranates in Sims 4, any particular reason why you chose them? I think it's really cool how you tied them to his grandmother, but I was wondering. I once researched what plants give the best profit and I came upon dragonfruits. They have since helped me immensely with my household funding. :)
    • I really like your backstory and your set-up so far. I like how you put his traits within your writing and kind of hid them in plain view. I always feel this is more natural than just stating them, but both can work. I really like the small insights into his personality you are giving us with the first chapter and I like the idea of a gate. For me it immediately symbolizes that he went through the "gate to a new stage in life", but that might just be the literary analysis geek in me ;)

@pickledsimmer
    I really like your name for some reason. I only ever heard it as a first name before (Reinhardt) but I think it is very unique. I'm excited to see how the Bachelorette part will play out and I'm excited to read more! You have such genuine ideas! Best wishes for you and your baby!

@SmallSeven01
    Thank you for your thoughts about Hannah. My chapters feel quite text-heavy so I extra appreciate that you took the time! I agree that she is very sweet and for that reason I really like playing and writing her. She's a soft little soul :)
    I think your start is very interesting! I like the idea of telling your story in just pictures. It must be quite a task to choose the right ones that make up a story but I think you did very well!

@PurplishSimEater
    Oh yes, another spoilt child starting out, just like Hannah even though I have the feeling those two might be quite different. She's very pretty! And I like the snippet of backstory that we got. Time machine? That reminded me of Don Lothario's backstory in Sims 3 where he popped up in Riverview. I'm looking forward to reading more from you!

@ninaumi
    • Yay for the exemplar trait! I'm using it, too and love it so far. Hopefully you will get a good sim quickly :)
    • I'm amazed at how fast you found your potential romance partner. That takes me ages! But I guess for a legacy it is very good to have this things sorted out soon, hehe. If you decide to keep with Gavin I see some very interesting genetics coming up! Your founder is gorgeous and just like others I also hope those eyes keep in the family :)

I hope I didn't forget anybody. If I did, please say so and I will talk about your story, too. Thank you for giving me a good read this morning, all of you!

edited June 2017
    Hi everyone! Today's chapter is up!
    @PurplishSimEater Brittany seems like quite the character! It'll be fun getting to know her as the legacy starts. I love the use of a time machine accident, too.

@ninaumi
    I can't wait to see how things work out with Gavin. And yay for that promotion! I love that some of the careers give extremely useful rewards.

@Asaoyoru
    This chapter was beautiful! I love her outlook on everything. Being inside of her head is great. I know I will enjoy this generation
    Okay, now to answer @Asaoyoru 's questions and to ask some of my own.

How would you like us to discuss your story? Do you want constructive (!!!) criticism? Support? Maybe discuss some plotpoints and point out what we think is especially good?

I want you to discuss my story in whatever way you see fit. Swooning, exited blurbs, even rants if a certain character makes you upset. I especially love character analysis, so any of that is great! Plot points are always good too. Really, I'd love to hear any and all of your thoughts.

I only have two questions today:

First, if you are already tagged in a post, what name should we call you by so we don't have to continue to tag?
    What has been the hardest part about writing, planning, writing and blogging your legacy so far?
    @Asaoyoru
    The real reason I chose pomegranates is because it just seemed like the type of fruit his grandmother would grow. I also want him to have an orchard of sorts. I think an orchard would only make the eventual legacy house better. Dragonfruit are the most lucrative plant and just me, he is growing some! In 1.02 the plants behind him in the first picture are to start the dragonfruit. In my Drifter save, House 002 has maybe 20 dragonfruit plants that are not even perfect yet, and they bring in tens of thousands of simoleans with each harvest.

I'm so happy you like the backstory! Oh, since a few people have commented on the gate; The reason I included it is because as I was looking around the area I noticed it. I thought it would give off the idea of seclusion and prestige. However, your interpretation makes me seem smarter so let's go with that! ;)
    How would you like us to discuss your story? Do you want constructive (!!!) criticism? Support? Maybe discuss some plotpoints and point out what we think is especially good?

I would like the same as @ny275 . All your involvements in my story are already helping me immensely in every way. I even enjoy playing the game much more! :)

First, if you are already tagged in a post, what name should we call you by so we don't have to continue to tag?

You can call me Nina. :)

What has been the hardest part about writing, planning, writing and blogging your legacy so far?

The hardest thing is always the insecurity and inexperience as a writer which blocks my writing process, but that diminished quite a bit because I started I don't even know how many stories in the past, but abandoned writing all of them. :lol: I almost forgot to mention that I never know how to balance out my playing and writing.

@Asaoyoru
    Asaoyoru wrote: »
    I'm caught up with everyone's stories and responses now and can talk about what I've read, yay! I'll just go in order of slots in the reading circle and write everything in spoilers for each of you. If you prefer comments on WP/your blog, just let me know and I'll switch to that.

In general: It's so cool how nearly all of you have democracy as a heir choosing device. I was very hesistant of doing that, because I feared nobody would vote and/or read my story anyway and I would end up with no votes and having to choose the heir myself anyway. But I will definitely vote for each of your future heirs because I love this way of picking!

@ninaumi
    • Yay for the exemplar trait! I'm using it, too and love it so far. Hopefully you will get a good sim quickly :)
    • I'm amazed at how fast you found your potential romance partner. That takes me ages! But I guess for a legacy it is very good to have this things sorted out soon, hehe. If you decide to keep with Gavin I see some very interesting genetics coming up! Your founder is gorgeous and just like others I also hope those eyes keep in the family :)

I prefer comments on my blog.
    I need to make them married asap. :lol: You never know when you'll get old, and exemplar trait + democracy is really making it uncertain, in terms of how quickly I'll find an heir. Living with limited stuff, because of my founder's aspiration is, well, limiting already, but it will be even harder when she gets the child(ren).
    edited June 2017
    I'm fine with anything, really. I think Yoru would be good, it's short and easy to remember I think. ^^

I think the hardest part is not playing too far ahead. I made that mistake with Moving Mountains and have a huge load of screens that I need to somehow connect to make a story, which is why I'm taking a bit of time off with that save and try to find my muse. For me, the hardest part is finding a good balance between everything. Since I'm extremely unexperienced, I make a lot of mistakes, but I hope I'll be learning from them. ^^

@ Nina: Okay! I will comment my first reaction on your blog and come back here for discussions!
    I can imagine! I hope it goes well for you. Maybe you should try to have multiples :joy: The first few generations are always the hardest,
    but I think they are also really cool. I love working myself up from rags to riches, hehe.

@ny275
    Dragonfruits ftw! I love the idea of an orchard! Since the plants in Sims 4 live forever, it would be so cool to have later generations pick pomegranates from the same tree that Elias planted. :) I really like how artistic and cool he is. I might have been smitten already.

He and Siobhan will make beautiful babies *ships them already*

Not smarter, just different! I also like your approach on the gate question. I didn't know that it was premade, haha. Then again, I haven't really played much in Windenburg, even though I'm German. I am a traitor to my homeland :joy:
    1. First, if you are already tagged in a post, what name should we call you by so we don't have to continue to tag?

Just call me Purple or tag me if you so wish. Not horribly picky either way.

2. What has been the hardest part about writing, planning, writing and blogging your legacy so far?

The hardest part is just getting started - I'm so used to playing on triple speed that slowing down's been a bit of a change of pace, as is remembering to take screenshots. Also, finding the time; I'm working and taking an online class for college right now so my time's more limited than I'd like it to be.

Also @everyone thanks for the feedback so far! The tricky part right now is figuring out how to write a character that's a little ditzy and immature but not vapid or totally air-headed. As she's kind of my opposite personality-wise, she'll be fun to write for as a challenge.
    Ny is fine :)

Probably the pacing. In game, things go so quickly but I don't want my writing to be rushed. Also, it is difficult for me to translate days in the game into months/ years in story-time.

@Asaoyoru
    You ship them already, huh? They would make beautiful babies, wouldn't they? ;)

@ninaumi Having the heir at the right time is stressful for me! I don't want the parents to get old and die too soon. When toddlers came out that was and especially difficult thing to balance. With MCCC I actually made the lifespans longer... I think 30 days for both YA and A. This was before the patch that added days so it might not be too different from the original span now, but having it at 30 days makes me happy because it's more likely for grandparents to watch their grandchildren grow up.
    Hiya! Here's another update:

https://umisimslegacy.wordpress.com/2017/06/15/success-and-love-22/

This again isn't up to date, because I just can't use too many pictures right now. :neutral:

I have issues both @Asaoyoru and @ny275 mentioned. It's both hard for me right now to write and play. It's hard for me to write, since I have too many pictures, and I'm not updating the story until the end, and the challenge became progressively harder simultaneously.
    In answer to your questions:
    I would love a bit of everything constructive criticism, any ideas you have would be amazing.

Lulu is great or Sarah!

I fell in love with a picturacy idea after doing a post for my amazon challenge in just pictures. I think that is the hardest part- telling a story with just pictures and a caption. I think the posts in the end will be a mixture of picturacy and written.
  • pickledsimmerpickledsimmer Posts: 105 Member

Anything and everything! I'm looking to improve, I know that my grammar and spelling can be pretty bad, even reading over my own writing I miss things. Plot points is a good idea too! I tend to be all over the place sometimes or have nothing, depends on my mood when I write.

Pickles is good

Picking a direction to go in. I either have so many ideas running around in my head and try to include them all or none at all and my writing is bland.

Also I'll reply to comments later tonight, off to another house showing.
    The Barrow Legacy - UPDATED 08/14
    Update on game play and chapter-y stuff:

I got MC Command Center up and running in my game after much trial and error, so that should be fun. In enabling CC for the game, I forgot I had custom skin tones installed, so if my main character looks a little different than the initial pictures, that's why (as this change would happen post-Prologue and partway into 1.1). I'll have the prologue up and running after creating a new folder for pictures on my computer and the some quick edits to said pictures.
    Apologies for double-posting, but the prologue is live!

http://sims4fitzgeralds.blogspot.com/2017/06/prologue-whole-new-world.html

If someone could make that into a clickable link, that'd be great. I like blog comments, but if you'd rather comment on here that's fine too.
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Hey everyone! @ny275 Thanks for letting me join the circle. I was going to wait on starting my legacy, but what the hell? I've started it today, and you all can read the first post here! I'm calling it the Duvall Diaries, and it's an ISBI Legacy. I plan to update once a week.

So, to answer the questions that have been posed:

Support to keep writing would be great! A 10 generation legacy is no joke, and I could use all the support I can get. Since my legacy will be an ISBI legacy, getting feedback and criticism will help make sure I'm telling an interesting story around the legacy guidelines.

Feel free to call me CeCe, or tag me. I'm fine either way.

The hardest part is finding time. I'm also in another reading circle and writing a neighborhood rotation for that. I've been wanting to do this legacy for so long now, and having the reading circle start pushed me to make it happen. I tend to play more game-driven, so the plans for the story come together as I play. There is the occasional struggle there when my Sims don't do anything "interesting."

I got MC Command Center up and running in my game after much trial and error, so that should be fun. In enabling CC for the game, I forgot I had custom skin tones installed, so if my main character looks a little different than the initial pictures, that's why (as this change would happen post-Prologue and partway into 1.1). I'll have the prologue up and running after creating a new folder for pictures on my computer and the some quick edits to said pictures.

My game completely changed when I started using MCCC! I use it mostly for neighborhood story progression etc and recently I also pushed my young adult and adult lifestage up to 30 days. I feel like with the toddlers, my elders barely ever got to know their grandchildren and I wanted to kind of balance that out. Great idea from Ny I shamelessly copied xD

Welcome CeCe! I will read your story when I find the time, the same for everybody else. I managed to edit some pictures today. Comments and more insights will be posted tomorrow. Hopefully also a few questions that concern each of your stories indvidually :)

Have a great day/night - wherever you are! <3

I really like MCCC. It adds a lot to the game for me. I hope you enjoy playing around in it! Word of advice, though, if there's any sim not in a played household that you don't want to move/get married/ have babies because you have plans for them, make sure you flag them!

I think I commented on your blog, but I'm not sure. Here are the rest of my thoughts.

@PurplishSimEater
    I'm curious to know more about Brittany's past. It'll be entertaining to see what she does now that she's woken up in a strange place with nothing and knowing no-one!