Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Long Haul Reading Circle

Comments

• allysimbuildsallysimbuilds Posts: 422 Member
    Sorry if I'm not vocal here, but I am keeping up with everyone's stories (leaving comments and stuff as I am able on your updates). Have to cut back on my upload schedule for personal reasons, but here's The Coffee Kids! I'll be posting weekly on Tuesdays until things get sorted out. Thanks guys! Oh, and this won't affect my reading your stories. Just my upload schedule. <3
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    @jbestxoxo A good start would definitely be to take about 30 minutes and go through the settings one by one. Open MCCC on your Sim's computer. Make sure the game is paused. If it's not paused, time will more forward incrementally as you switch between MCCC submenus, and you don't want your Sims to get up to something weird while you're not watching.

Then go through every single one of the settings, one by one. That will help you discover that you have control over a few things you may not know about. Most of the settings are pretty simple, you either enable or disable a particular function. Some are a lot more complicated, and greatly influence the structure of the game.

Some of the changes require a restart. It's better to go through the entire list of settings before restarting the game so you don't have to do it more than once.

Now to answer the question:
    Have any of you experienced writers block- or even had a rough time moving the legacy along in game- so far? How did you get out of it? Or are you still in it? If you are still in it, as your reading circle, what can we do to help?

I'm still very much at the beginning of my legacy. My founder isn't even married yet. I don't update as fast as you all. I can see it now. I'll be like halfway through my 2nd generation and most of you will be on your 6th, haha.

I say all of that to say that I haven't reached writer's block yet. My legacy will be very much like my other stories, more Sim driven. The game coding, plus MCCC, so far has always given me interesting things to write. But I am interested in everyone's else's answer. @MVWdeZT has already given me some wonderful ideas for when I run into writer's block at some point.
  • PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    Have any of you experienced writers block- or even had a rough time moving the legacy along in game- so far? How did you get out of it? Or are you still in it? If you are still in it, as your reading circle, what can we do to help?

No writer's block yet, just limited playing time. Which is about to get even more cut when I have to start juggling a full class load with lab hours and other extracurricular stuff. I've been wanting to play more, but I promised myself I wouldn't until the Toddler Stuff came out since I have a toddler incoming in my Fitzgerald save plus two more in Generation 2 and a 100 baby challenge in another save. What will help is getting MCCC up and running and trying to schedule in some playing time when I'm not busy.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    @MVWdeZT Great tips! I go through my pictures all the time just to see if there is a facial expression or something going on in the body language of my sims that I might want to incorporate. Sometimes it spins into an entire new chapter and storyline!
    You know, I’ve noticed that many legacies start out with an intriguing backstory and then run into trouble with the next generation, too. I know you said that’s probably a different question, but I’d love to read your answer!

@cecerose0208 I have yet to write a completely sims driven story. I think it’d be interesting. I only have one save where most of the sims are hands off. That’s the Drifter save. I always found it cool how the sims were able to form their own personalities and such without any direct interaction with me. MCCC doesn’t hurt when it comes to sims driven stories either! What happened with Carmen was absolutely crazy!

@PurplishSimEater I’m excited for toddler stuff! The more the merrier! MCCC will absolutely add another level to your game. It certainly has for me. When do your studies start?

Speaking of MCCC, I just want to let everyone know that in my personal play time and in talking to a few others, 5% risky woohoo is very high! And what’s worse is, I keep getting twins. If you love unexpected pregnancies and like playing big families, then by all means. But if that’s not really something you’re into, then you might want to lower it. Mine is now lowered to 1% and there have been no accidental pregnancies so far.

And to answer the question I posted, I haven’t had writers block so far in the sense that I don’t know what to write. I have struggled with knowing what I want to say but not knowing how to say it. In cases like this, I give my mind a break and the words will eventually come to me. :)

Wishing you all a great weekend!
    @ny275 Toddler Stuff comes out the 24th, I move back to college the 25th, and classes start the 28th.
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    Hi! I nominated all of you for the Handwriting challenge. I know some of you have already done it, but for those that haven't, I just wanted to let you know I nominated you. I posted the nomination on my other blog, so it might not show up on your WP reader.

The Labeikovsky's are almost totally sim-driven; I just use my creativity to make the events of the game make sense. The story doesn't focus on weddings and births, although they're major life moments and often get their own post in my realm, they aren't a big to-do. I suppose that is that makes my legacy a little bit different (honestly, being different isn't a focus of mine. The voice of a piece is enough to set a legacy apart in and of itself). While this is my first SimLit piece, I'm not a writing newbie; I have total faith in my mind to bridge the gap from game reality to story reality.

Having faith in yourself is honestly my most frequently used trick to combat writer's block. I earnestly believe that I can craft something, and often I do. Even if it means taking a break and thinking about it for a few days. My writing process isn't really the "normal" process, but it's never lead me astray, even when writing under pressure in college. Sometimes a break from writing, and routine, is enough to kick-start the creative flow. I hope that's helpful to anyone struggling!
    ny275 wrote: »
    Hi! I nominated all of you for the Handwriting challenge. I know some of you have already done it, but for those that haven't, I just wanted to let you know I nominated you. I posted the nomination on my other blog, so it might not show up on your WP reader.

That was cute! I already did it, but thanks for the second nom!

Also, @jbestxoxo I'm all caught up!!!! I read all the way from the beginning and I'm feeling very happy dance-y about it. I'm glad I started from the beginning because I feel like I have a really good sense of these Carnegie women. I love them so much!
  • jbestxoxojbestxoxo Posts: 271 Member
    @ny275 , thanks for the nomination!! I already did it too, though... but I wish I could do it again though my answers would be the same. haha

@cecerose0208 I cannot believe you're already all caught up!! That was dedication girl! :D

On another note, I am all caught up with everyone's stories and I can't wait to continue to keep reading more. Woot Woot.

Well, time to go do the handwriting challenge thingamabob. The real question is whether to use my "fancy" semi-legible handwriting or my "usual" train-wreck than I take my class notes in.
  • SmallSeven01SmallSeven01 Posts: 312 Member
    Oh the handwriting challenge looking forward to it.

Yes very much so. I have suffered a lot with it in my Amazon challenge. The dove legacy is a result of it. Sadly I haven't been able to post as much at the moment due to writing 18,000 words for MA dissertation so I guess it is a kind of writers block. Everyone is already so kind so I am not sure lol.

As I have a bit time this weekend expect the result of the dove legacy casting call to be up tomorrow. Also I will be catching up on everyone's stories so expect to see loads of comments!!!
    @allysimbuilds Will do. It'll be posted the same day as 1.07 (so most likely Wednesday or Thursday).
  • AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hello everyone! Hope you're doing fine today!
    I'm so looking forward to catching up with all of your stories soon, once my last three papers are written. Until then, I have unfortunately moved into the library and can only do so much as update my own story and read a very selected few that appear on my Wordpress reader. :'(
    I just really want to say I appreciate all of you and I think it's amazing that this reading circle is so casual, but can discuss awesome topics, too!

If anyone of you would be interested (I know some of you have already voted), I'm currently holding an heir vote for my "main legacy": Generation 2 Heir Vote So if you want to vote, I would be super happy! I haven't forgotten about BNLC, it's just going reaaaally slowly because I make my own poses for it now and the plot thickens, so it's a lot more work. I also want to prewrite a bunch of chapters as not so drop out of the plot and the hopeful suspense prematurely.

Thanks for your patience and attention <3 Have an awesome day! *runs back to her books*
    Asaoyoru wrote: »
    Hello everyone! Hope you're doing fine today!
    I'm so looking forward to catching up with all of your stories soon, once my last three papers are written. Until then, I have unfortunately moved into the library and can only do so much as update my own story and read a very selected few that appear on my Wordpress reader. :'(
    I just really want to say I appreciate all of you and I think it's amazing that this reading circle is so casual, but can discuss awesome topics, too!

If anyone of you would be interested (I know some of you have already voted), I'm currently holding an heir vote for my "main legacy": Generation 2 Heir Vote So if you want to vote, I would be super happy! I haven't forgotten about BNLC, it's just going reaaaally slowly because I make my own poses for it now and the plot thickens, so it's a lot more work. I also want to prewrite a bunch of chapters as not so drop out of the plot and the hopeful suspense prematurely.

Thanks for your patience and attention <3 Have an awesome day! *runs back to her books*

I have tons of patience as I am still playing catch up. I feel like I'm never going to catch up because our circle is large and some people post so often. But luckily, I enjoy everyone's stories! I'll continue to try and keep up
    Off topic question- I know not everyone uses wordpress but for those that do... what the heck do I do for pics when I run out of space?! I'm at 98.6% utilization of the free 3G. Is my only option just to upgrade? :astonished:
    edited August 2017
    @jbestxoxo Image hosting is a thing you could try. I've never done it, but sites like imgur (I think) are an option. That's not really ideal as seen with Photobucket; they tend to offer the service for free for a while and then block the whole thing behind a paywall. If you aren't keen on upgrading your WP membership, that'd be the route to go. What OS are you running?

Edit:
    There are a few things you can do to utilize the space you have left 1) make sure all the images in your WP media library are in use and delete those that are not and 2) compress new JPEG images for upload to be less than 200KB per image...that second task is why I was asking about your OS. ;)
    @jbestxoxo Image hosting is a thing you could try. I've never done it, but sites like imgur (I think) are an option. That's not really ideal as seen with Photobucket; they tend to offer the service for free for a while and then block the whole thing behind a paywall. If you aren't keen on upgrading your WP membership, that'd be the route to go. What OS are you running?

Edit:
    There are a few things you can do to utilize the space you have left 1) make sure all the images in your WP media library are in use and delete those that are not and 2) compress new JPEG images for upload to be less than 200KB per image...that second task is why I was asking about your OS. ;)

I've tried Photobucket and it runs so horribly that I can barely stand to even load one image... I couldn't even image like 10+ per chapter. :unamused:
    I have Windows 10 with a iBuyPower gaming tower. I don't own Photoshop but I have Adobe Illustrator, maybe I can compress the images in there. I don't mind upgrading WP, I figured it would be pretty inevitable at some point... if I ever do another legacy I'd probably just start a whole new blog lol and an additional 3 GB should get me at least to G9.
    jbestxoxo wrote: »
    I've tried Photobucket and it runs so horribly that I can barely stand to even load one image... I couldn't even image like 10+ per chapter. :unamused:
    I have Windows 10 with a iBuyPower gaming tower. I don't own Photoshop but I have Adobe Illustrator, maybe I can compress the images in there. I don't mind upgrading WP, I figured it would be pretty inevitable at some point... if I ever do another legacy I'd probably just start a whole new blog lol and an additional 3 GB should get me at least to G9.

Idk how you do it in Illustrator (haven't used that in...7 years?!), but you'll want to export them to JPEGS and then compress. I checked out the packages, and they aren't that bad. The one they obviously want you to buy is the "Popular" package in the middle. Marketing... B) You could switch over to self-hosting from here with an outside company, I've used HostGator, and they'd give you more storage space than WP. Anyway, you do have a few options. The most important thing would be keeping your image size low, and using that practice indefinitely!

I have about half of 1.07 written, but I'm going to try and push it out tomorrow so I can focus on playing for 1.08 on Thursday once the Toddler Stuff comes out.

@jbestxoxo I've used Imgur with minimal problems on storage and whatnot in the past, though for the Fitzgeralds I just upload my pics directly into the post.
    @allysimbuilds Currently I do nothing to my pictures :sweat_smile: ... so I'll definitely start compressing them with the extra storage space.

@PurplishSimEater I'll give imgur a try going forward! I've used them recently for little things like my signature picture and they seem to be way better than Photobucket. :)
    @jbestxoxo I'm going to ignore the fact you do nothing to your photos... :#

@PurplishSimEater Thanks for weighing in on imgur. Do you need an account? It seemed like you didn't need one to upload photos, or maybe I already have an account with a service that owns imgur?

• AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    Hi, hope I can help with a few of my own cents!

You could try imgur, you can upload images there without making an account, but I'm not sure how long the images are saved there.

What you could also do is make additional Wordpress blogs as backups for your pictures. You make posts with your pictures there and then link the pictures in your posts. You have 3GB per blog, so this should work for a while. If you don't want to create additional blogs or use the media library for something else, you should definitely resize your images. Screenshots are MUCH bigger than they need to be. Wordpress resizes your images anyway, but screenshots use a lot of space pretty fast, same with photographs for example. So if you resize, you feed it smaller bits and that saves more than you think.

I can recommend using GIMP, it's completely free and has much the same options as photoshop if you know how to do work with it. I've done all my webdesign with GIMP for a while (even though I own both Photoshop and SAI for digital painting with my drawing tablet) and I prefer it actually. If you need any help with operating it, I would be glad to help you out. It's really easy and saves you SO MUCH space.

There are also a bunch of resizing programs online where you can add a whole bunch of pictures and resize them at once but I prefer doing it myself because that makes sure that the image doesn't get blurred or distorted. Exporting your pictures as JPEG lowers the quality only a tiny tiny bit (which nobody will notice) and also saves a lot of space. Screenshots are default png which makes them huge.

Hope I could help!

edited August 2017
    @Asaoyoru From what I remember, WP saves the images in full upload size, then "compresses" to the size you select for your blog. It's not really compressing there, its storing 2 separate images in its database for that image: one is the file you uploaded, and one is the size you selected. My husband mentioned GIMP a few years ago for photo editing, so I'm happy you could give your opinion on it. There's two others we're looking at for iOS that aren't Adobe products. Making multiple blogs is a fun way to cheat the system! >:)

All WP users: I don't think the process mentioned above has a huge impact on your storage space, but the ideal would be to upload the image in the size you want it to display on your blog. I'll give my process as an example: I first resize the .png down to a reasonable width of 1080 pixels (that's my monitor's resolution, and a standard by husband and I use on our other sites. You could do 900 pixels, or 500 pixels. The image will be smaller, but may be the size you'd like it to display on your blog). Then I do whatever touchups need to happen. Finally, I export the file to JPEG and compress to under 200KB. This process takes maybe 2 minutes per image? Once you get used to the process, it goes quickly.
    I use imgur! I make a separate folder for a run of chapters. For the story I write for this reading circle, I usually take about 150 screenshots and that ends up being five chapters with an average of 20 screenshots used in each chapter (I don't use every screenshot, some are just the same pic from different angles).

I just use my Google+ login for logging in. I love using Google to log in because it means I don't have to create a new account. When I upload pictures, they don't always show up in order, but it only take a few minutes to reorganize them in order. Then I delete them off my hard drive to save space there too.

When adding pics to my story on Wordpress, I just right click on the picture in the album on imgur, choose Copy link address, or Copy image address then go to the spot where I want the picture in the story and use the keyboard for Ctrl + v. The picture pastes right in usually.

When adding pics to the forums, I just hover over the picture in the album on imgur, then hover over the downward arrow in the upper right hand corner. Then I click Get share links and just Copy the BBCode share option. Then I go to the spot where I want the picture in the forum comment and use the keyboard for Ctrl + v.

To me, it's pretty user intuitive and very repetitive, so it's not too hard to get the hang of over time. The only space I use on Wordpress for images now is for the featured image of each chapter.

You can check out the organization of my imgur account here. Most of my albums are hidden though, so you won't see them all. So here's a screenshot!
    5ssBpsb.jpg