Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How come our profile walls churn info out into Activity? I don't like it.

plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
I was never much a user of my profile wall thing.

However, what I have realised is that they churn out here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/activity

If you write on your wall/add stuff, it churns into the Activity section.

So, if someone writes on your wall, does it also churn out into Activity - ie, a dormant account can suddenly spout to Activity because someone writes on someone else's wall?

I don't like it.

Is there an option to not output profile walls into Activity?

Comments

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Um... that's the whole point
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Simanite wrote: »
    Um... that's the whole point
    Why?

Why can't they not output to Activity?

If someone adds a lot of stuff to their wall, then it will spam into Activity.

Some people have private conversations running on their walls that will spout into Activity.

Some people may think that their Profile wall is only viewed if someone clicks to view their Profile - ie, they don't realise it is spouting to Activity.
  • Options
    It spouts everything.

If you change your Profile picture then it tells the world.

The thing is a perpetual announcer of everything.
  • Options
    The whole thing is potentially some kind of spammer's delight:

This Week's Leaders
    953 Points rosemow
    713 Points Mikezumi
    612 Points DeservedCriticism
    557 Points Simanite
    435 Points Charlottesmom
    398 Points SimGuruGraham
    346 Points plopppo2
    336 Points CyrusTheLoser
    332 Points CravenLestat
    295 Points luthienrising

What am I doing in that list - what are the 346 points for?

What is the point of this Activity thing?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In fact, that Activity section is being used as a sub-messaging board - ie, it is being exploited. It is being used to direct output, ie bypassing a forum posting.

EDIT:
    I guess it is used to 'harvest' these point things?
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member

There is a way around your profile picture from showing up on the Activity Feed. What some of us do is remove the picture that we have now and then add a profile picture. When doing it this way, it won't show up for everyone to see, the only person to see it will be you.

As for anyone wanting to hold private conversations, they can use the private messaging system that's available instead of using their wall/activity feed.

There have been members asking for a friends system like we have on the old TS3 site as some people don't want to see other members posts and they don't other members seeing their posts. I think SimGuruDrake has said something about the possibility of looking into something like that but I my guess is that it's not that high of a priority at the moment to add the friends system to the site at this time.

Then it's also been suggested that when we put members on our ignore list, that they would like to see it also working for the Activity Feed page since we can still see posts made by the blocked person. But then again, not sure how high on the priority list for this to be looked into at the moment.

And yes, members can still gain points by using the Activity Feed because whenever someone makes a post, then another member can give out Insightful, Like or Awesome to those posts. But as for the Post count that we have, the posts made on the Activity Feed doesn't count towards the Post count total. I have seen New Members spamming the Activity Feed thinking that they will get their Post count that way instead of posting in the forum sections of the site
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    There is a way around your profile picture from showing up on the Activity Feed. What some of us do is remove the picture that we have now and then add a profile picture. When doing it this way, it won't show up for everyone to see, the only person to see it will be you.

As for anyone wanting to hold private conversations, they can use the private messaging system that's available instead of using their wall/activity feed.

There have been members asking for a friends system like we have on the old TS3 site as some people don't want to see other members posts and they don't other members seeing their posts. I think SimGuruDrake has said something about the possibility of looking into something like that but I my guess is that it's not that high of a priority at the moment to add the friends system to the site at this time.

Then it's also been suggested that when we put members on our ignore list, that they would like to see it also working for the Activity Feed page since we can still see posts made by the blocked person. But then again, not sure how high on the priority list for this to be looked into at the moment.

And yes, members can still gain points by using the Activity Feed because whenever someone makes a post, then another member can give out Insightful, Like or Awesome to those posts. But as for the Post count that we have, the posts made on the Activity Feed doesn't count towards the Post count total. I have seen New Members spamming the Activity Feed thinking that they will get their Post count that way instead of posting in the forum sections of the site

Oh perfect! Thank you for informing us, guess now I don't need to fill up the activity board with all my failed avatar changes.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    I'd rather have a dual post option - ie:

Post = post to your own wall and nowhere else;
    Share= post to your wall and the Activity thing.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    I'd rather have a dual post option - ie:

Post = post to your own wall and nowhere else;
    Share= post to your wall and the Activity thing.

I do like this idea on having a choice on whether we want our posts to just show up on our walls or the Activity Feed since the New Members can't make their own threads when they need help with their game.