Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Player-assigned tasks need more weight than Sim assigned-tasks.

Comments

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2017
    @DeservedCriticism your intitle to your own opinions on the game but i will say this when you make such post do not think that everyplayers think like you i sure do not not every player will agree with you since no one plays the same say your sim bladder is in the red its normal that they went to use the bathroom before doing something else

Disagreeing is fine. Derailing or attacking me is not.

Also, that's not what I said. I said past games had things like a bladder in the red as one of the few exceptions that could allow a sim to cancel your actions. THIS game lets all kinds of stuff cancel your actions, including very mundane wishes such as a desire to watch TV. A wish the Sims will repeatedly spam and re-queue no matter how often you cancel it.
    Who cares if the sims don't do as you ask its a game rather then get mad because they don't just chill and let them do what they want to do. This is about players choice here and we really don't have to control every little thing they do.

@DeservedCriticism there is nothing wrong with how the sims4 is i much prefer the way it is now than in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims4 is not poorly done it is very well done, you also need to realise no players plays the same all i see is great advantage on how the sims4 is made i do not order my sims around and when it comes to sim chosing what they do there is nothing wrong if the sim decide to do something the sim decide so if the sim decide to watch tv with out the player asking or to cook there is nothing wrong with the multi task system .

there is something wrong with how the sims 4 is I don't much prefer the way it is now unlike in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims 4 is poorly done (is or isn't - *all of it is subjective opinion*), you also need to realise no players play the same all I see isn't an great advantage on how the sims4.....
    You need to question yourself as to why you purchuse the sims4 then me when i purchuse the sims4 its because i like the fact that its diffrent than the pass version and i have played since sims1and if sims wents to sociolize while doing there task there is nothing wrong with this. If you did not like the sims4 from day 1 then you need to question yourself as to why you bough it in the first place no players plays the same. In my case i chose to play with aging fully off but thats my own choice, and when you played sims4 for a while or many hours the sims4 is actualy fun to play more fun than sims3 or sims2 since its diffrent. So i fully disagree with your post.

And it would be fair for you question why you feel the need to be on low esteem from someone's critizing critism over one/few minor flawed aspects the person see in the game. Question yourself: why do you dismiss someone's complaint when you yourself enjoying the game and therefor purchased it for what you like about it. If you did not like this constructive feedback from a fan, than you need to question yourself why are you continue on reading this If the rant is rubbing on your skin?

for your info if someone only complaints about the gamer then maybe its time they retire from the sims game series and move on i prefer the sims4 the way it is now to each there taste and to me the sims4 is not poorly done to each there opinions then i am done so you can think what you and i will never agree with what is mention in this post because i do not have the same view on the game

Or not retire but provide a FEEDBACK to the developers or game compay. It may help out meet magority of players standards and remedies the biggest pet-peeve problems.

Like imagine for a second in his situation. Let's say there was a (HYPOTHETICAL) scenario where you couldn't disable aging. You didn't even knew about that BEFORE you purchase the game, because devs didn't told you about (which is what they always don't address regarding flawed/lacking/missing features). Wouldn't you want to request the feature, regardless how you put it: negatively or positively. And how would you feel If you people suggestion "you should question yourself why you purchase this game?" ? Would feel guilty from the passive-blame somebody dropped on you? Just try to put yourself in the OP's shoes instead of suggesting such redudant response like that. Disagreeing is one thing, but putting a prejudgemental blame is another.
    Feedback is one thing but I am defending the game nothing needs to be done half of you who think something is wrong with it think it should be TS3 so go back and play the game you enjoy and quit trying to change the game to be like past games the appeal is that its not like past games. Sorry but really if you dislike the game don't buy the packs and don't play. Play the games you enjoy because TS4 is apparently not one of them

That's fine, but I'm pointing out you can't really know all the flaws officially without purchasing the game and feel blame for purchasing just because when you weren't even aware of what's borked in TS4 (which I can assume that's what happened to OP). I was for supporting everyone preference, which is why I responded to @friendlysimmers of reminding that, because "question whenever purchase it" isn't not gonna solve disapointment over what game didn't brough to meet his expection from this sequal. I'm ok with him/her standing up to game and expressing a conflicting opinion to the OP's.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    In Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3 - without exception - the player-assigned tasks always have priority over Sim-assigned tasks, with very few and often sensible exceptions. (example, a sim can cancel your order to read a book if his bladder is critical and he wants to pee) If a sim desires to read the newspaper and I desire that they shower, my command always takes precedence over their autonomous desire. If they're in the process of reading the newspaper on their own accord and I command them to shower, they immediately cancel their wish to go shower. And if I assign them to watch TV and then they queue an action to play arcade games themselves, they will not go play arcade games until I cancel their TV action I assigned or something else causes them to cancel it (Fun maxes out, TV breaks, another motive gets critically low, etc)

This system is not a thing in Sims 4, or at the very least rather poorly done. Sims are constantly capable of cancelling player-assigned tasks to pursue their own, and sometimes player-assigned tasks do not cancel sim-assigned ones. The most common example I have lately is that if I assign a Sim to read a book and they sit at a sofa near a TV, they will queue up a wish to watch TV every ~30 minutes, and this wish can cancel the desire to read a book. This is plum, because if the book provides fun then there's no purpose to them switching, and if the book is for learning a skill, then obviously it's not nice when they decide to do something else entirely. Sims will even do this if their fun meter is full and there should be zero reason for them to desire to watch TV. The result is a rather aggrivating and infuriating session of gameplay where the player must needlessly micromanage and babysit their sim just to ensure they complete a very basic task, constantly clicking to cancel out their bombardment of nonstop wishes to watch TV. Certain objects or scenarios are more notorious for causing this problem than others, and famously we've had a revolving door effect where one patch sets one object's desirability too high (BETween TV, woodworking table), and then another patch simply moves the desirability onto another that causes the exact same problems.

Another common offender is basic social interactions. Sims in this game obsessively seek out social interactions, sometimes to the point they abandon their home and walk out on the street. This too is a problem because it may cancel your assigned tasks, OR the Sim may go socialize alongside your assigned task since the two can be done side-by-side. The problem is Sims socialize so obsessively that even if though it's done side-by-side, it's very likely the two Sims would re-queue up new social interactions so frequently that your assigned task takes hours to complete. If you seek to cancel such social interactions, then once again you must babysit your Sims and micromanage them.

This is possibly one of the most basic features of any Sims game, existing in every previous title and always an important feature to ensure the player is not frustrated with Sim AI ruining their orders. Yet for whatever reason, it does not exist in Sims 4. This is absolutely absurd, perplexing, and I cannot figure out why this isn't a thing after 2 and a half years. My best guess is this is a result of Sims 4 prioritizing showing off the new multitasking system over old basic systems. AI and weight of actions seriously needs to be tweaked. For those that would respond "just turn off autonomy," that's not exactly a fix. That's basically suggesting Sims 4 shouldn't have autonomy, which is just as absurd since once again autonomy has existed since Sims 1.

Wanted to bring this up because this is absolutely something I see people complain about in various different forms (such as the woodworking table, BeTween TV, I believe the City Living basketball goal was named as one, and a couple others), but I've not seen this issue called out for the general problem it is: our assigned tasks need to hold priority over the sim-assigned ones, or this issue will constantly re-emerge, just via different objects and methods.

I completely agree with you and some of these examples are exactly why my sims cannot have nice things! I have to delete their TV and not allow them to have anything else on their home lot to at least get them to try and read a book. If there is a TV nearby and my single sim is eating, well there goes 5 hours for them to finish (thanks multitasking). Or better yet, Nancy Landgraab is jogging outside, so my sim takes their plate out to randomly talk to her, and then leaves the plate just outside her lot and it cannot be pick-up, fun times, spoiled plates scattered all over the sidewalk cause your sim can't pick them up, can't drag them from the sidewalk, and all because the game randomly decides that your sim (who is not low on social) needs to talk to some random person outside their lot, and even worse 90% of the time will not let you cancel the random interaction.
  • Options
    @DeservedCriticism your intitle to your own opinions on the game but i will say this when you make such post do not think that everyplayers think like you i sure do not not every player will agree with you since no one plays the same say your sim bladder is in the red its normal that they went to use the bathroom before doing something else

Also, that's not what I said. I said past games had things like a bladder in the red as one of the few exceptions that could allow a sim to cancel your actions. THIS game lets all kinds of stuff cancel your actions, including very mundane wishes such as a desire to watch TV. A wish the Sims will repeatedly spam and re-queue no matter how often you cancel it.
    Who cares if the sims don't do as you ask its a game rather then get mad because they don't just chill and let them do what they want to do. This is about players choice here and we really don't have to control every little thing they do.

@DeservedCriticism there is nothing wrong with how the sims4 is i much prefer the way it is now than in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims4 is not poorly done it is very well done, you also need to realise no players plays the same all i see is great advantage on how the sims4 is made i do not order my sims around and when it comes to sim chosing what they do there is nothing wrong if the sim decide to do something the sim decide so if the sim decide to watch tv with out the player asking or to cook there is nothing wrong with the multi task system .

there is something wrong with how the sims 4 is I don't much prefer the way it is now unlike in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims 4 is poorly done (is or isn't - *all of it is subjective opinion*), you also need to realise no players play the same all I see isn't an great advantage on how the sims4.....
    You need to question yourself as to why you purchuse the sims4 then me when i purchuse the sims4 its because i like the fact that its diffrent than the pass version and i have played since sims1and if sims wents to sociolize while doing there task there is nothing wrong with this. If you did not like the sims4 from day 1 then you need to question yourself as to why you bough it in the first place no players plays the same. In my case i chose to play with aging fully off but thats my own choice, and when you played sims4 for a while or many hours the sims4 is actualy fun to play more fun than sims3 or sims2 since its diffrent. So i fully disagree with your post.

And it would be fair for you question why you feel the need to be on low esteem from someone's critizing critism over one/few minor flawed aspects the person see in the game. Question yourself: why do you dismiss someone's complaint when you yourself enjoying the game and therefor purchased it for what you like about it. If you did not like this constructive feedback from a fan, than you need to question yourself why are you continue on reading this If the rant is rubbing on your skin?

for your info if someone only complaints about the gamer then maybe its time they retire from the sims game series and move on i prefer the sims4 the way it is now to each there taste and to me the sims4 is not poorly done to each there opinions then i am done so you can think what you and i will never agree with what is mention in this post because i do not have the same view on the game

Or not retire but provide a FEEDBACK to the developers or game compay. It may help out meet magority of players standards and remedies the biggest pet-peeve problems.

Like imagine for a second in his situation. Let's say there was a (HYPOTHETICAL) scenario where you couldn't disable aging. You didn't even knew about that BEFORE you purchase the game, because devs didn't told you about (which is what they always don't address regarding flawed/lacking/missing features). Wouldn't you want to request the feature, regardless how you put it: negatively or positively. And how would you feel If you people suggestion "you should question yourself why you purchase this game?" ? Would feel guilty from the passive-blame somebody dropped on you? Just try to put yourself in the OP's shoes instead of suggesting such redudant response like that. Disagreeing is one thing, but putting a prejudgemental blame is another.
    Feedback is one thing but I am defending the game nothing needs to be done half of you who think something is wrong with it think it should be TS3 so go back and play the game you enjoy and quit trying to change the game to be like past games the appeal is that its not like past games. Sorry but really if you dislike the game don't buy the packs and don't play. Play the games you enjoy because TS4 is apparently not one of them

Actually I do, I want my sims to do what I want over the AI's random autonomous ideas for my sims. If I want my sim to read a book for a skill, aspiration, or maybe just because, I do not want the game to cancel this interaction to go out and talk to Bob Pancakes walking by. I, as the player, should decide when I want my sim to do something or when I just want to let the sim autonomously do things on their own. The game should not be canceling out my player directed actions for random actions.
  • Options
    @DeservedCriticism there is nothing wrong with how the sims4 is i much prefer the way it is now than in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims4 is not poorly done it is very well done, you also need to realise no players plays the same all i see is great advantage on how the sims4 is made i do not order my sims around and when it comes to sim chosing what they do there is nothing wrong if the sim decide to do something the sim decide so if the sim decide to watch tv with out the player asking or to cook there is nothing wrong with the multi task system . You need to question yourself as to why you purchuse the sims4 then me when i purchuse the sims4 its because i like the fact that its diffrent than the pass version and i have played since sims1and if sims wents to sociolize while doing there task there is nothing wrong with this. If you did not like the sims4 from day 1 then you need to question yourself as to why you bough it in the first place no players plays the same. In my case i chose to play with aging fully off but thats my own choice, and when you played sims4 for a while or many hours the sims4 is actualy fun to play more fun than sims3 or sims2 since its diffrent. So i fully disagree with your post.

I love how you always like to state in some form or another that "not everybody plays the game the same". I do agree with the statement, however I also notice that you seem to only believe it as long as it fits how you play. For example here are a few things you have posted in the forums that you do not want in the game because they do not apparently fit your play-style: Woohoo (you create your families in CAS) and do not allow them to do this), Breastfeeding, body hair, tattoos, piercings, and supernaturals, misbehavior, death, or other life states just to name a few. Based on these examples, you really do not believe in "diversity" and different ways to play? Most of these things you have stated in various threads sounds like if you do not want them in your game, then the developers should not consider any of this, because only your play style matters?
    You said "i do not order my sims around and when it comes to sim chosing what they do there is nothing wrong if the sim decide to do something the sim decide so if the sim decide to watch tv with out the player asking or to cook there is nothing wrong with the multi task system ." So since you are totally against woohoo (as you have stated many times on this forum), if your sims suddenly stopped reading a book to autonomously go woohoo or try for baby, and you could not cancel the action as a player, you would still be happy? Or would you complain that you did not want the game to randomly Que up actions randomly and disregard you as the player?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2017

That's fine, but I'm pointing out you can't really know all the flaws officially without purchasing the game and feel blame for purchasing just because when you weren't even aware of what's borked in TS4 (which I can assume that's what happened to OP). I was for supporting everyone preference, which is why I responded to @friendlysimmers of reminding that, because "question whenever purchase it" isn't not gonna solve disapointment over what game didn't brough to meet his expection from this sequal. I'm ok with him/her standing up to game and expressing a conflicting opinion to the OP's.
    I beg to differ that you can't tell if you like it from the beginning because first everyone knew there was no open world and that it was going to be missing stuff and yet you buy the game thinking that its going to change some how. I will say even I find that there isn't enough to do in the game but does it make the game bad to me personally no. So I realize that people are all different but if you keep buying a product after how many games after 2 years and its been 21 games and you aren't a satisfied customer by now don't you think you should just stick to the games you like. If I could get into TS3 I would but my game is laggy unplayable and frankly after multitasking I feel spoiled that I want the same gameplay in TS3 but I can't have it. All I miss is seasons and new places to go on vacation.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    But how can you tell how many were aknowledge of that fact that "your sim will cancel out your directed read a book command over automously switching to tv"? None, even more so that anyone can either like that aspect or dislike that aspect. That's my whole point about writing the comment. While to magority they really knew about the annouce that open world won't be introduced in this iteration, but in this thread that fact is unrelevant. We are talking about the feature that cancel outs player-commanded actions in a queue, which I don't believe was really promoted much or addressed at all by the devs.

If you purchase the game, it doesn't mean that: what you find - you like everything about it. Maybe the OP find some annoyances/flaws that he cannot, but it doesn't mean it stop him enjoying other aspects or the game as a hole. It still doesn't stop him from asking more improvements.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    @gizzinator1 its just me thats like this but some of the content do not fit with my playstyle for exemple i made the choice never to let my sims age or die including townies for me i find it much more fun to play with aging fully turn off since i do not play generation or legacys if i have to age a sim to freeup space i decide when and who otherwise none of my sims will age and most of the time i keep my sims single parents and unmarried.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Ah, Sims Forums, never change.

Really, it bugs me that my sims don't do what I tell them to do because the AI really isn't good enough. It's fine if I'm focusing on one sim to have the others do things, but I often cue up actions because I know there are things that they should get done, and then when I check on them again, they're doing something entirely different.

I also hated it in Sims 3 when I would do things like, oh, have my celebrity sim go to the library to read his toddler books (it takes a fraction of the time there), and I'd have them all queued up, I'd focus on another sim, and then after going back to the celebrity, someone asked for an autograph or a picture at some point and completely stomped the queue.

It shouldn't be that difficult to prioritize player directions. I want to play the game, not watch TV.
  • Options
    @gizzinator1 its just me thats like this but some of the content do not fit with my playstyle for exemple i made the choice never to let my sims age or die including townies for me i find it much more fun to play with aging fully turn off since i do not play generation or legacys if i have to age a sim to freeup space i decide when and who otherwise none of my sims will age and most of the time i keep my sims single parents and unmarried.

First of all, I am not attacking you personally or how you play your game. This thread is about sims performing autonomous actions and even canceling player directed actions for autonomous actions in the game. I agree with the OP and how the current system needs to be adjusted so that player directed actions are prioritized over autonomous actions. For example, If I want my sim to read a book. I Que that action and my sim gets the book and sits on the sofa. I want my sim to read that book until 1) I tell them to stop or 2) their bladder need is critical and they either go use the toilet or stand up and pee themselves due to bladder failure. I do not want the game to autonomously decide that my sim needs to go outside to water her plants, paint a painting, watch TV, or talk to a random sim walking by their house. I didn't pay about $400.00 so far on this game to watch it play itself and ignore what I want my sim to do.

I don't have the parenthood pack, but according to what I read sims can now use "forbidden Words". For example if this is a feature you do not like, what if your sims were constantly using forbidden words all the time? What if you could not cancel the interaction or make them be nice, but instead the game's autonomy decided that all your sims were going to constantly use this interaction? The point the OP is making is that the player's choices for actions should be the priority, not the game canceling out player directives for autonomous behavior.

If you like the system how it is, well great, I am happy. For me, I agree with the OP that this is Feedback that I hope the developers look at because as you say, not everyone plays the same. I want to play my game, not create some sims, turn on autonomy, and see what happens like a mini movie.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited June 2017
    I understand some are okay with the Sims doing as they please but that doesn't mean the AI is not broken. If I cancel an autonomous action, I should not have to wait for my Sims to travel up their stairs or pull food out of the fridge and place it back in there before doing what I asked them to do.

This game's marketing statement was "You Rule" not "The Sims Rule." I get everyone has their own playstyle and I try to be mindful of that, but you have to agree if you want to control your Sims, you should be able to without the AI hindering the process.

• Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Yea that's pretty annoying, I hate when I try to make a sim do something, and that the sim ignore the command to go do something random, the commands should have priority.

The only time I wouldn't care as much would be if there's a need in red, like if everything is fine, but that my sim hygiene is in the red I could understand if the sim cancel my command of reading a book to go shower, but when all needs are fine and in the green there's no reason for the sim to cancel commands to do something else.

And I don't want to turn off the autonomy option for my sims, I want my sims to be able to do stuff on their own, but if I give my sim a command I don't want it cancelled by the sim.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    In Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3 - without exception - the player-assigned tasks always have priority over Sim-assigned tasks, with very few and often sensible exceptions. (example, a sim can cancel your order to read a book if his bladder is critical and he wants to pee) If a sim desires to read the newspaper and I desire that they shower, my command always takes precedence over their autonomous desire. If they're in the process of reading the newspaper on their own accord and I command them to shower, they immediately cancel their wish to go shower. And if I assign them to watch TV and then they queue an action to play arcade games themselves, they will not go play arcade games until I cancel their TV action I assigned or something else causes them to cancel it (Fun maxes out, TV breaks, another motive gets critically low, etc)

This system is not a thing in Sims 4, or at the very least rather poorly done. Sims are constantly capable of cancelling player-assigned tasks to pursue their own, and sometimes player-assigned tasks do not cancel sim-assigned ones. The most common example I have lately is that if I assign a Sim to read a book and they sit at a sofa near a TV, they will queue up a wish to watch TV every ~30 minutes, and this wish can cancel the desire to read a book. This is plum, because if the book provides fun then there's no purpose to them switching, and if the book is for learning a skill, then obviously it's not nice when they decide to do something else entirely. Sims will even do this if their fun meter is full and there should be zero reason for them to desire to watch TV. The result is a rather aggrivating and infuriating session of gameplay where the player must needlessly micromanage and babysit their sim just to ensure they complete a very basic task, constantly clicking to cancel out their bombardment of nonstop wishes to watch TV. Certain objects or scenarios are more notorious for causing this problem than others, and famously we've had a revolving door effect where one patch sets one object's desirability too high (BETween TV, woodworking table), and then another patch simply moves the desirability onto another that causes the exact same problems.

Another common offender is basic social interactions. Sims in this game obsessively seek out social interactions, sometimes to the point they abandon their home and walk out on the street. This too is a problem because it may cancel your assigned tasks, OR the Sim may go socialize alongside your assigned task since the two can be done side-by-side. The problem is Sims socialize so obsessively that even if though it's done side-by-side, it's very likely the two Sims would re-queue up new social interactions so frequently that your assigned task takes hours to complete. If you seek to cancel such social interactions, then once again you must babysit your Sims and micromanage them.

This is possibly one of the most basic features of any Sims game, existing in every previous title and always an important feature to ensure the player is not frustrated with Sim AI ruining their orders. Yet for whatever reason, it does not exist in Sims 4. This is absolutely absurd, perplexing, and I cannot figure out why this isn't a thing after 2 and a half years. My best guess is this is a result of Sims 4 prioritizing showing off the new multitasking system over old basic systems. AI and weight of actions seriously needs to be tweaked. For those that would respond "just turn off autonomy," that's not exactly a fix. That's basically suggesting Sims 4 shouldn't have autonomy, which is just as absurd since once again autonomy has existed since Sims 1.

Wanted to bring this up because this is absolutely something I see people complain about in various different forms (such as the woodworking table, BeTween TV, I believe the City Living basketball goal was named as one, and a couple others), but I've not seen this issue called out for the general problem it is: our assigned tasks need to hold priority over the sim-assigned ones, or this issue will constantly re-emerge, just via different objects and methods.

I completely agree with you and some of these examples are exactly why my sims cannot have nice things! I have to delete their TV and not allow them to have anything else on their home lot to at least get them to try and read a book. If there is a TV nearby and my single sim is eating, well there goes 5 hours for them to finish (thanks multitasking). Or better yet, Nancy Landgraab is jogging outside, so my sim takes their plate out to randomly talk to her, and then leaves the plate just outside her lot and it cannot be pick-up, fun times, spoiled plates scattered all over the sidewalk cause your sim can't pick them up, can't drag them from the sidewalk, and all because the game randomly decides that your sim (who is not low on social) needs to talk to some random person outside their lot, and even worse 90% of the time will not let you cancel the random interaction.

I just got tired of the globe with the "liquor" in it. I swear my sims had a drinking problem because that was the first thing they wanted to do all the time before any needs so I got rid of it. If its wasnt that it was drinking water... le sigh
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    @DeservedCriticism I am SO sorry that these simmers can't see past themselves and think of game functions critically. It annoyed me to read some of these responses to you, like the one claiming that "you can't just expect for sims to do everything you tell them to!". Like, are you SERIOUS?! Thats the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME!

THIS! <3
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    I just wish my sim parents would LEAVE THE TODDLER ALONE for the love of cheesecake! It gets annoying when I set the toddler to do something like say...play blickblock on the Wabbit or even just eat and the parents keep hovering around, checking on the toddler and making the tot cancel the action just to talk to them.
    As for autonomous actions cancelling out player directed actions, I will say this has been a recurring annoyance in both TS3 and 4. I play both games and while it's a bit manageable in 3 as long as you're not playing a large family, in 4 it really grates on my nerves all the time when I cancel an action and the stoopid sim just keeps on doing it....with a smile.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    it happens also already that tasks i give just go unnoticed by the game,
    they are ignored completely - not by sims but BY THE GAME itself, they just disappear into thin air
    i have to pause the game & give the task again, then it is performed

after so many years, basic bare functionality just not working, bugged
    & i'm pretty sure the devs are fully aware about that, it just doesn't bother them too much, not enough to fix it :joy:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    I just wish my sim parents would LEAVE THE TODDLER ALONE for the love of cheesecake! It gets annoying when I set the toddler to do something like say...play blickblock on the Wabbit or even just eat and the parents keep hovering around, checking on the toddler and making the tot cancel the action just to talk to them.
    As for autonomous actions cancelling out player directed actions, I will say this has been a recurring annoyance in both TS3 and 4. I play both games and while it's a bit manageable in 3 as long as you're not playing a large family, in 4 it really grates on my nerves all the time when I cancel an action and the stoopid sim just keeps on doing it....with a smile.

In real life most parents enjoy a toddler peacefully playing LOL (I am said parent and that give me time to clean and catch up on laundry) If my toddler is playing peacefully in his room with his older brother I won't bother him unless he really needs me (poopy diaper, hungry, needs attention you know the basics). Sometimes I feel like the sim parents can be a bit overbearing with the toddlers. No real parent is going to be up their toddlers behind all day, normally its quite the opposite lol
  • Options
    they are ignored completely - not by sims but BY THE GAME itself, they just disappear into thin air

& i'm pretty sure the devs are fully aware about that, it just doesn't bother them too much, not enough to fix it :joy:

Who knows maybe its something more complicated than we think? Idk I just think if it was an easy fix it would have been fixed by now or at least an attempt at doing so. Especially since its been going on for such a long time. I'm no programmer so I don't know. I just hope its something being looked into and going to be fixed before the iteration is completed. I'd hate to have another sims 3... :|:(
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited June 2017
    @DeservedCriticism I agree with you about the action weighting, in every single other sims game there is, the players actions always take precedence, either immediately cancelling out the entire action queue (unless it was player made) or causing a sim to end whatever task they were performing prematurely.

It would be nice if needs related actions (both player defined and autonomous) gained weight if that need neared depletion, so a low hunger motive would mean that a sim could cancel or block player interactions that weren't food related and/or vital (so move commands, play computer, ETC), just like in the old Sims days when a sim was unhappy, you couldn't make them learn skills; Although considering how du­mb the sims can be sometimes, that might not work either.

Then again, considering some of the trollish and thread derailing responses to your OP, maybe it IS a good thing the Sims cancel out 'their' actions, I'd hate to think what would've happened to the Sims otherwise.

I also agree totally with the following:
    @DeservedCriticism I am SO sorry that these simmers can't see past themselves and think of game functions critically. It annoyed me to read some of these responses to you, like the one claiming that "you can't just expect for sims to do everything you tell them to!". Like, are you SERIOUS?! Thats the WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME!
    Post edited by Evil_One on
    raw
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

Who knows maybe its something more complicated than we think? Idk I just think if it was an easy fix it would have been fixed by now or at least an attempt at doing so. Especially since its been going on for such a long time. I'm no programmer so I don't know. I just hope its something being looked into and going to be fixed before the iteration is completed. I'd hate to have another sims 3... :|:(

Don't be so sure, there were many bugs in TS3 that were very easily fixed by modders that the Sims team never got around to.
    raw
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I know. Then what's the point of playing the game, right? It's a video game, not someone's day of a life movie story. If *I* directed my sim to do or stop doing something, I expect them to do (or stop doing) the following. Otherwise, commanding/controlling a sim becomes pointless.....

HOWEVER, there should a few life threating/changing exceptions. If a fire erupt on the lot, all sims should run out of the house despite what the user told them to do.

NUFF SAID.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I have noticed this after playing with the toddlers/family GP. Not sure where it all comes in, but my toddlers can get out of their chairs if they want to and it makes me so mad. I want to decide if they go or stay. Maybe a toddler was bad and they need to sit for a while. Also, my sim father and mother would cancel out my wishes to take them out of the high chairs and that is with free will turned off. In S3, my sims always did as I instructed, but I can't play with life if my sims won't do what I want. The toddlers in the chair didn't need anything, but wanted down and I had to remove the door to keep my sims doing what I asked. I don't want my toddlers able to escape from their chairs and I want sims who do what I want. You are correct OP, the wishes of the player should override any sim interactions unless it is death related or related to a child being taken because a need hasn't been met. Sims should never be able to cancel out my commands. :s
  • Options
    tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    @DeservedCriticism I agree with you and unlike some of the ones that attacked you. It makes no sense when I tell my sims to do something that they don't do it. It aggravates me when they go out to eat with each other they decide to get up and roam around instead of sitting down at the table. These sims are not real, they are NPC and we should have control over them when we tell them what to do, regardless of what some think. If I don't want control over them I would leave them be but then again I wouldn't be playing a game would I? I be watching them, like watching a movie so why would I play if I can't control my sims.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited June 2017
    AI is absolutely terrible in Sims 4. The balance is off and socialization takes priority over pretty much any action. Seeing how Sims 4 was intended to be a social multiplayer game it's not surprising that The Sims assemble into groups to socialize constantly.

I also find it annoying when I cancel out an action, submit a new one only to find that my action is stuck in que while the action I cancelled is still going. Sims usually complete the action, especially if it's 'grab food' 'social with..' etc. The AI has serious issues recognizing when actions have been cancelled or submitted. I can't tell you how many times I have cancelled a 'grab food' interaction while the sim was across the lot, only for them to still go get whatever food they could and eat it. The action que shows the action with a big ol'cancel 'X' through it, but it doesn't recognize it as cancelled. After awhile it's become way too obvious that the game is borked and it's probably not going to be fixed.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    AI is absolutely terrible in Sims 4. The balance is off and socialization takes priority over pretty much any action. Seeing how Sims 4 was intended to be a social multiplayer game it's not surprising that The Sims assemble into groups to socialize constantly.

I also find it annoying when I cancel out an action, submit a new one only to find that my action is stuck in que while the action I cancelled is still going. Sims usually complete the action, especially if it's 'grab food' 'social with..' etc. The AI has serious issues recognizing when actions have been cancelled or submitted. I can't tell you how many times I have cancelled a 'grab food' interaction while the sim was across the lot, only for them to still go get whatever food they could and eat it. The action que shows the action with a big ol'cancel 'X' through it, but it doesn't recognize it as cancelled. After awhile it's become way too obvious that the game is borked and it's probably not going to be fixed.

It is pretty sad that this game, hands down, has the worst AI of the franchise. I mean the Sims in Sims 1 would have their minds explode if they tried to walk through a doorway at the same time as someone else, but at least you could take precautions to avoid that, plus they slowly worked on improving AI with the expansions.

Sims 4...? I honestly cannot do anything at all if my Sim decides to go wave at some random Sim across the lot, and I've seen with my own eyes that sometimes a Sim's wish replaces my command so fast that it doesn't even appear in the queue before it goes to the little active actions area.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"