Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Crashes Upon Save/Exit

I don't know why my game crashes when I go to save and exit the game. The game saves most of the time before it crashes, but why would it crash when exiting? I have my graphics on ultra and my game runs fine. It's just gets really weird upon exiting the game. It also just recently started doing this btw.

Comments

• Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Happens to me as well. Every single time I save and exit the game.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    There is sometimes an issue when using " save and exit". It is best to use " save" or " save as" then exit the game after saving.
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    There is sometimes an issue when using " save and exit". It is best to use " save" or " save as" then exit the game after saving.

That's what I do, but it still crashes in the end.
  • Options
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Hello

I am sorry that you are having these saving issues. Try seeing if going to the main screen or another lot that is different from where you usually save the game, may help.
  • Options
    Hello

I am sorry that you are having these saving issues. Try seeing if going to the main screen or another lot that is different from where you usually save the game, may help.

Well, even though it crashes every time I exit the game my saves are intact fortunately, but I will definitely try your method next time I play! :smile:
  • Options
    Hello

Well, even though it crashes every time I exit the game my saves are intact fortunately, but I will definitely try your method next time I play! :smile:

It is good that your game still saves okay, even though it crashes. I am sorry though that you are having the crashes.
  • Options
    Hello

It is good that your game still saves okay, even though it crashes. I am sorry though that you are having the crashes.

Ahh, don't you worry :smiley: It doesn't bother me so much!
  • Options
    fungamer2fungamer2 Posts: 40 Member
    Mine does the same thing. I always "save", go to manage worlds and then exit. I've never had a problem before when exiting my game. It just started doing this for the last 3 days. My saved game is intact, but it's just something weird that I noticed. I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same thing happen to them as well.
  • Options
    fungamer2 wrote: »
    Mine does the same thing. I always "save", go to manage worlds and then exit. I've never had a problem before when exiting my game. It just started doing this for the last 3 days. My saved game is intact, but it's just something weird that I noticed. I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same thing happen to them as well.

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue,

If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test see if the issues are still there after playing and saving your game.

Try lowering your graphics settings and see if that helps.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.

• Options
    ukbucketukbucket Posts: 32 Member
    I'm also having this happen but not every time I play, sometimes it happens once in every 3-4 times. I use a few mods and a small amount of cc and thought I had narrowed it down to one mod in particular so put everything else back, went back to my save that I hadn't been playing and then it happened the first time I played it. Can a save become corrupt by just having a mod in the folder even though you don't use the item? I have recently reinstalled everything so had it in my folder but never used it in game.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Mine also. I use Save As then exit. The game hangs really bad while trying to close. Sometimes, it causes the game to crash on exit, no matter how someone does it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    It's got me stumped, will do some more testing with the new save I started see how it goes. As long as the game is being saved it's not causing me too much bother but it's bugging me not knowing what the cause is.
  • Options
    ukbucket wrote: »
    I'm also having this happen but not every time I play, sometimes it happens once in every 3-4 times. I use a few mods and a small amount of cc and thought I had narrowed it down to one mod in particular so put everything else back, went back to my save that I hadn't been playing and then it happened the first time I played it. Can a save become corrupt by just having a mod in the folder even though you don't use the item? I have recently reinstalled everything so had it in my folder but never used it in game.

Hello
    Mods/cc files that are in your mods folder can cause issues even if you are not using them in your game.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.
  • Options
    Hi Rose thanks for the suggestions.

I had repaired my game and was playing without mods for a little while and never saw the issue, but even before that with mods in the issue was intermittent. If it happened every time it would be easier to pinpoint but i'll keep testing various things see if I can't get to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    Hi Rose thanks for the suggestions.

I had repaired my game and was playing without mods for a little while and never saw the issue, but even before that with mods in the issue was intermittent. If it happened every time it would be easier to pinpoint but i'll keep testing various things see if I can't get to the bottom of it.

I am sorry that you are having the issue :(
  • Options
    It's ok, the games are at least saving so that's better than having it crash while playing.
  • Options
    RavenAngel888RavenAngel888 Posts: 13 New Member
    My game will save, but, it won't exit. example: I saved and then I exited before my Dad and I went to the shops for a few things. When I came back (half hour or so) the game was still open. I had to sign out of my laptop and come back in for it to close the game. It's only been doing this since the (May?) patch, I think. :'(
  • Options
    My game will save, but, it won't exit. example: I saved and then I exited before my Dad and I went to the shops for a few things. When I came back (half hour or so) the game was still open. I had to sign out of my laptop and come back in for it to close the game. It's only been doing this since the (May?) patch, I think. :'(

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps, if the issue remains. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.
  • Options
    I had that happen once too, had to close it with task manager in the end. Repairing the game helps with most issues and I haven't had it happen again but I know a few people have mentioned it happening recently.
  • Options
    Bit of an update on my situation...I have been playing the last couple of days without any mods/cc and it is still occasionally crashing whilst exiting. It doesn't happen every time, maybe once every 3/4 sessions, and it does save before it crashes. Just wanted to say that, in my case anyway, it isn't mods/cc that's causing the issue.
  • Options
    Bit of an update on my situation...I have been playing the last couple of days without any mods/cc and it is still occasionally crashing whilst exiting. It doesn't happen every time, maybe once every 3/4 sessions, and it does save before it crashes. Just wanted to say that, in my case anyway, it isn't mods/cc that's causing the issue.

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having these issues. If you are using the " save and exit" option, it would be best to not use that. Use " save" then after saving , exit the game then. You may already be doing that, but just in case you weren't.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    Yeah, mine is like this too the other day, and I've never had a problem with "save and exit". Also, one time, I decided to save and exit but then it just goes back to live mode, like the game didn't want to quit. :D And I had to force exit on the game. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    For simmers having this issue, it may help to see if the crashing issues occur when exiting from a particular lot or if exiting from a different lot or manage worlds helps the issue. Perhaps see if there is a pattern.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    For simmers having this issue, it may help to see if the crashing issues occur when exiting from a particular lot or if exiting from a different lot or manage worlds helps the issue. Perhaps see if there is a pattern.

I'll have to test this next time. I've had it going on with my current save. I always save and exit separately. I'll save then choose exit. Sometimes it does fine, sometimes it refuses to exit, and sometimes it crashes. Seems pretty random, but I have played several different households, but I haven't played any other save in a while.
  • Options
    For me it has happened in multiple saves and with different households/lots. It doesn't seem to matter whether I save & exit or save first and then exit separately, it just randomly crashes after it has saved and whilst it's exiting.