Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Glitchy, Laggy, Unplayable Game

Let me preface by saying Yes, I do play with mods and Yes, they are all updated.

Ever since City Living came out my game has been basically unplayable. The glitches with the festival lots are annoying but I can avoid those. My biggest problem is that it takes my sims FOREVER to do things, if they ever do them at all. After one day in game things get incredibly slowed down. My sims stop going from one task to the next and resetting them does not fix this issue.

I removed my Sims 4 folder and tested a completely clean game and was able to run through an entire week with no issues whatsoever (I didn't feel it was necessary to test any longer than that).

Is there anyway to make my game function better while still using my mods and CC (since I feel they make the game better)??

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    Hello
    I am sorry that you are having these issues. Try moving your mods folder to the desktop. Launch the game, and a new mods folder will be generated. Exit the game. Then put your mods/cc from the old mods folder into the newly generated mods folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem. Put one item or batch in , test the game , take it out. Then test another one, to find the cause of the issue.
    You will then be able to see which mods/cc are causing the issues , and will be able to keep the rest of your mods/cc
  • Wishonmeh05Wishonmeh05 Posts: 637 Member
    @rosemow Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably do that, it will just take me a crazy long time to test all the CC
    Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the issue is still there with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing the problem. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.
  • Kajsa_liisaKajsa_liisa Posts: 24 Member
    One fast question. Is it enough to just move the sims 4 folder so the game cleans from bugs or should i reinstall the whole game to be on safe side?
    @Kajsa_liisa Just pull the sims 4 folder and it is a completely clean game
    @rosemow I have everything broken down in folders by category (i.e Build, Objects, Clothing, etc) so I was just going to replace one folder at a time and narrow it down from there
    One fast question. Is it enough to just move the sims 4 folder so the game cleans from bugs or should i reinstall the whole game to be on safe side?

Hello @Kajsa_liisa
    You can just move the sims 4 folder. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder. Test the game between placing back each folder.

@rosemow I have everything broken down in folders by category (i.e Build, Objects, Clothing, etc) so I was just going to replace one folder at a time and narrow it down from there

That is a great idea! :)
  • SimmerKittenXSimmerKittenX Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Wishonmeh05 said:
    > Let me preface by saying Yes, I do play with mods and Yes, they are all updated.
    >
    > Ever since City Living came out my game has been basically unplayable. The glitches with the festival lots are annoying but I can avoid those. My biggest problem is that it takes my sims FOREVER to do things, if they ever do them at all. After one day in game things get incredibly slowed down. My sims stop going from one task to the next and resetting them does not fix this issue.
    >
    > I removed my Sims 4 folder and tested a completely clean game and was able to run through an entire week with no issues whatsoever (I didn't feel it was necessary to test any longer than that).
    >
    > Is there anyway to make my game function better while still using my mods and CC (since I feel they make the game better)??

Hello,
    I play The Sims 4 and there have been many occasions where my game has been very laggy and glitchy.

- Sometimes if you have a lot of things in your PC's recycling bin it conflicts with the game's performance because all of your deleted files are just sitting there in the background - in the recycling bin, and not actually gone. What I did was right click on the recycling bin and click "Empty Recycle Bin".

- Make sure you have any required meshes for your CC. For example, in CAS you might give your Sim some CC shoes, and it makes their feet invisible/glitchy. Make sure that you download the mesh if one is required for that piece of CC. The link for the mesh(es) are usually given on the CC's download page. If a piece of CC's origin is from a pack such as City Living and you do not own that (expansion/game/stuff) pack, delete the CC as it will not work and will most likely glitch (something).

- Make sure all your mods are up to date and compatible with your version of the game, as well as keep the game itself up to date.

- Go to File Explorer > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Cache and delete any files that are in the Cache folder.

- Go to File Explorer > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and delete the file that says "localthumbcache.package" and not any other files as it may break/glitch your game. A new localthumbcache package will be generated next time you open The Sims 4, but it will not be as big in size. The smaller the size of the "localthumbcache.package", the better.

- Sometimes if you have too many screenshots and recorded videos it may make the game run slower due to all of the storage it uses.
    Go to File Explorer > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Screenshots or Recorded Videos and cut all of the files in one of those folders and paste them into a folder which is not in The Sims 4. Therefore you can keep your captured moments and have a faster running game.

- Go to File Explorer > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > onlinethumbnailcache and if there are any files inside of that folder, delete them.

I hope this works for you! :smile:

- SimmerKittenX

P.S: I know this was from a month ago, but if anyone has the same issue then this may help them. :smiley:
  • PoohbearsimmerPoohbearsimmer Posts: 1 New Member
    If anyone has any problems like this, one thing I like to use is http://www.modthesims.info/d/561550 . It filters out the bad mods and tells you exactly how it affects your game.