Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenthood -- where nothing really matters

I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
I played the Parenthood GP and really felt empty. While the actions with the teens were wildly hyped, there really isn't any reason to have those interactions because they have no consequence with the lives of the sims.

No matter if the teen is an emo or outspoken, the end goal is all the same: they all turn into regular adults and need jobs and everything is erased from their teen experience as if the pack never existed.

I've found it's easier to avoid the Parenthood pack interactions and obtain the goals of the teens quicker. The pack adds obstacles that have no real meaning nor consequence and are easy to avoid because no matter what you do, your sim will turn out the same with or without the pack.

As for the objects, the diary is cute. The science experiments are clever but after you do them the first time, there is no reason to ever do them again - ever. I did it without parents and my sims completed one experiment in a sim evening.

Unlike the toddler pack that added multiple dimensions to the little sims, the teen quests are not enough to give dimension because there's no consequence to how they live. Toddlers were new to The Sims, teens are not new. If you ignored the needs of your toddlers, Child Protective Services would take your babies away from you. There are no consequences for not tending to the needs of teens, whether you are a parent or a teen. I tested the teen experience by having teens live in a home without a parent. They acted as if I never installed the game pack. Whether they were "responsible" or not, they acted the same regardless of the traits. The trait system does not work.

While Maxis says the interactions impact character values traits, tuning these to any degree does not change how your sims live. Whether you have low conflict-resolution or high conflict-resolution, you will never notice it in the short daily lives of your sims.

There are a lot of details in this pack that you can try to tune, but the end result is meaningless because it doesn't change how your sims live before you installed the game pack.

As for the new objects, there really isn't anything very interesting besides the cute diary object. The science objects are nice to have but have no replay value or meaning to them. You probably will not want two robots or two volcanoes.

You can get this pack if you want a couple of neat objects. If you ignore teen emotions and traits, your sims will turn out just as if you did not install this pack. So that leads to the question, why go through all the trouble?
soul-glo.gif
Let your soul shine through.
Post edited by I8PIKACHU on

Comments

• DevinaleDevinale Posts: 209 Member
    it kinda doesn't surprise me that that's the case, because it's not exactly new that the trait system doesn't really work as it should though. And I feel like it's a recurring theme that alot of things in TS4 doesn't have replay value :/
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    so its pretty much just generations all over again? some new stuff, but overall useless/annoying gameplay
  • I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    edited May 2017
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Cool but if you ignore any pack then your sims are regular aswell so why buy any pack at all?

The Vampire Pack is not regular at all. Even the toddlers update was not regular. If you ignore the needs of your toddlers, child protective services will take them away. Both of those packs/updates have serious consequences for sims.
    soul-glo.gif
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Pretty much most stuff for the Sims 4 lacks replay value.
    Already had this feeling regarding the projects and it turned out correct :/
    From what I've seen so far, these new values don't do much.

Lol, I feel like "but the CAS and objects are nice" is pretty much the only thing I say about a lot of packs to this game :D
  • butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    I haven't gotten a lot of time to really dive into the pack yet as I had to work yesterday, but I'm a family player, so this may be nice for a while to maybe have something vested in the kids and teens.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Cool but if you ignore any pack then your sims are regular aswell so why buy any pack at all?

The Vampire Pack is not regular at all. Even the toddlers update was not regular. If you ignore the needs of your toddlers, child protective services will take them away. Both of those packs/updates have serious consequences for sims.

Yeah but if you ignore it then it is regular. If you don't ignore Parenthood then you get a game out of it. If you ignore Vampire stuff you don't get much out of it either.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    How can you tell if the trait system works if they were teens the whole time? They don't actually get the traits until young adulthood.

Because I played it through and it doesn't really make a difference whether you pass the traits or not.
    soul-glo.gif
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited May 2017
    How can you tell if the trait system works if they were teens the whole time? They don't actually get the traits until young adulthood.

Because I played it through and it doesn't really make a difference whether you pass the traits or not.

If that's the case it sure isn't what you said
    There are no consequences for not tending to the needs of teens, whether you are a parent or a teen. I tested the teen experience by having teens live in a home without a parent. They acted as if I never installed the game pack. Whether they were "responsible" or not, they acted the same regardless of the traits. The trait system does not work.

While Maxis says the interactions impact character values traits, tuning these to any degree does not change how your sims live. Whether you have low conflict-resolution or high conflict-resolution, you will never notice it in the short daily lives of your sims.

this kind of implies that you've only played to teen (seeing as how the only way to have a high or low character value is by being a teen or younger). the character values don't have an impact until you get the trait from them after becoming a YA, and I don't recall anyone ever having said otherwise

If what you're trying to say is that you wish the system were more impactful before reaching YA, that's fair. But to say the traits dont work when you haven't even gotten them yet is maybe a little bit unfair.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited May 2017

If that's the case it sure isn't what you said
    It's exactly what I said. The traits exist but they have no bearing on the game play. They are so minute that you will never notice them.

I've played through YA and Adult with the traits. It's as if I never installed the pack.
    soul-glo.gif
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    @I8PIKACHU So if I'm understanding your original post correctly, a problem you have with the pack is that the destination (aka Young Adult with the new traits) is the full focus and the full goal of the pack, but the actually journey itself (adolescence) is rather hollow and devoid of any meaningful differences to gameplay?
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    But It's fun, in my opinion anyway, families seem a bit more realistic to me, falling out, arguing then making up and helping each other. I really like the GP, now I ve played for a few hours. I like the potential for storytelling as well.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    So I'm curious what OP meant and would also ask anyone else to comment: is this to say the traits you get as Young Adults are pretty much moot and meaningless with rather inconsequential gameplay??

I haven't purchased, I've only watched some brief snippets of Let's Plays. I do recall however how one Sim had Argumentative and had a social interaction..."Unintentionally Provoke." I thought that was very odd because the player had to intentionally select unintentionally provoke, so it was "unintentional" in name only. It left me wondering which of the following was true:

1) The traits and new gameplay are weaksauce and basically do absolutely nothing unless you MAKE them do something, thereby defeating the point. I mean we all complain the current traits are bad and a big part of that is that Mean and Evil Sims for example will still gain positive relationships if left unattended, so YOU have to often lead them to being mean and Evil. If Argumentative is something Sims rarely act on unless ordered to, it suffers from the exact same problem.

2) The traits still often pop up and show themselves via random gameplay and via Sim AI. That the dialog option exists is merely to provide players with storytelling options if they so prefer to manually select the choices themselves.

I find OP's first post a tad cryptic in how it was written so I'm unsure if he's criticizing just teens or the collective package including the value traits, though it seems like he means the traits are weak too. I'd love to hear commentary about them either explaining strengths or problems with them.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Ann21Ann21 Posts: 23 New Member
    Ah, so this is the only thing holding me back from purchasing Parenthood- lasting consequences. I have seen some Simmers post that traits seem to matter more now, but LGR and this post say otherwise.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't agree with this post, at all. You haven't played this pack long enough to determine that
    for everyone. Our sims parenting affects 'character values' which will have impact on how our
    sims behave in the future. Once our kids turn into young adults, is when they show the outcome of their upbringing.
    If you read the gameplay guide, you would know that. There's also plenty along the way that shows their
    upbringing. I am personally loving this new pack and the more we play the more we discover.
    They acted as if I never installed the game pack. Whether they were "responsible" or not, they acted the same regardless of the traits. The trait system does not work.

i could be wrong, but did anyone actually ever say that the character values were going to impact the sim before they reach YA and actually receive the trait from it? It kind of seems to me like you were expecting something that was never premised.

This. He or she, is just not putting out the right information.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't agree with this post, at all. You haven't played this pack long enough to determine that
    for everyone.

After re-reading this thread, I fail to see anywhere in the thread that the OP stated he/she was speaking on behalf of any other Simmers.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    for everyone.

After re-reading this post, I fail to see anywhere in the post that the OP stated he/she was speaking on behalf of any other Simmers.

OP suggested that this game doesn't have any impact on how the sims turn out, thats not just an opinion, it's speaking on behalf of the games mechanic's and it isn't true. The parenting is meant to strongly influence the sims SOCIAL behavior as young adults .You can not play this game for a couple hours and determine that it doesn't do what it is intended to do. Especially it isn't true. It's the social behavior that is changing and from most of the other users reviews it is doing just that.

But also, like a previous poster pointed out their transformation happens once they age up.And you will only know for sure , what the outcome is once you age them up and have them socialize with others, then you will see their traits play out. It doesn't work like he or she is describing , at all :*