Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smoothie recipes

SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
What's your fave smoothie to make?
Any ideas what to put in with beet? I loathe it with all my being but wanna eat/drink it cause of my low iron.
Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)

Comments

• Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Any recipes I posted would just be ones that I found on-line, but have you considered just taking an iron supplement instead?
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    I do take iron supplement and I'm out of the "dangerzone" but I wanna keep upping my iron to get to an even better place. And don't wanna do it with pills anymore. With food it's a lot more healthier. And if I'm not sick anymore I don't have to take the pills, just wanna make sure I won't go back down with my bad eating habits.

And I got a blender off my mum and I'm sooooo into smoothies right now. So any recipe is welcome cause I just use a lot of bananas :D
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    I drink a lot of smoothies. Most of the time, it's what I have for breakfast.

I've seen and used many great recipes, but honestly, I tend to just throw together what sounds good to me and what I have. For example, if I have a bag of frozen mixed berries, I'll blend that up with some water, or what I've been using the last few times, lemonade.

I don't eat beets often, nor do I really like them much, so I'm not too sure what they would go well with, but I'm sure they would go decent with mixed berries. I used to, and still at times do, mix raw spinach in my smoothies, and that comes out pretty good, though it isn't the greatest source for iron. I do always put two tbsp of chia seeds in my smoothies, as well.

As for smoothies with bananas, I'd recommend fruits like oranges, pineapples, or mangos, and maybe mixed with the juices of any of those fruits. Bananas go great mixed with them.
  • Options
    @SoapSuds wow thanks for that. I will definitely buy the chia seeds. Just have to make sure they have them in my homecountry.
    But what do they taste like? Could you explain a little? :)
  • Options
    They honestly really don't have much of a flavor to them, so people use them in quite a few recipes. They go great in smoothies because of that. I like using them in my breakfast smoothies because they have quite a bit of nutrients in them, including fiber and protein, which are definitely nice to have in a breakfast.
  • Options
    I have a page bookmarked where I can buy them. I get money on friday so I'll order them then. The only bad thing is they have calcium in them which stops iron from absorbing. I just have to drink the smoothie in the morning and take the iron pill in the evening then.
    Or make an "iron smoothie" of some kind some other day.
  • Options
    Ah, that is a good point. Well, as I said before, I know raw spinach isn't the highest source for iron, but I'd recommend trying a smoothie with some raw spinach mixed in for some. You can tell it adds a little bit of taste, but it isn't much. It's pretty overpowered by the taste of the fruits. I used to do it all the time, and now that I'm thinking about it, I want to start doing it again.
  • Options
    Callous_LilyCallous_Lily Posts: 198 Member
    Almond milk, frozen banana chunks, 1 scoop of vanilla flavored protein powder, handful of fresh spinach leaves, and a handful of whatever fresh fruit is in season (yesterday it was pitted bing cherries).
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Spinach is high in iron, too and is a common ingredient in smoothies.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻