Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

fidget spinner

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    boopishboopish Posts: 143 Member
    > @Kandy said:
    > boopish wrote: »
    >
    > > @DeKay said:
    > > I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\
    >
    > Same, I have autism and it's actually really getting to be a burden. People now look at me like I'm ridiculous if I take a fidget toy out of my bag to stim with (otherwise I chew my fingers or flap my hands).
    >
    > Also, at whomever said research has shown they don't help, I am psychology major and I study autism and based on both the fact that I've written two papers, done a presentation on, and have personal experience with fidget toys, I directly refute your claim. They do help. They don't stop stimming behavior, which I think might be why you're stating this, they just redirect it. Research studies I've read tend to focus way too much on whether or not the stim toys stop behaviors, and not on whether or not they reduce the severity or amount of time spent engaging in behaviors. They've been shown to be helpful at redirecting harmful and distracting behaviors. A lot of autistic people I know, to include myself, chew our fingers, flap our hands, or otherwise need something to occupy our hands with and it does help.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I didn't word my original statement properly. What I was trying to say wasn't that stimming doesn't help, or that it doesn't stop stimming, but that typically in classrooms, fidget spinners just lead to more distractions, which doesn't help at all. Also idk why anyone would want to stop stimming? That just seems plum to me-if I'm forced to stop rubbing my hair or biting my fingernails, I get even more stressed out. I definitely understand wanting to redirect stimming into something like fidget spinners, which can be quieter or less obstrusive, especially in a classroom. But as I detailed above, whether or not it's the fidgeter's fault, in classrooms (this is in high school/middle school btw, not college, where I imagine people are more mature), they aren't being used for their original intent, and are instead distractions, whether the kid is using it as a distraction or not. If they hadn't become a fad, and people didn't freak out and insist on using it whenever they saw one, fidget spinners wouldb be fine. But because of the reactions of the people around the user, plus all the fidget spinners with add ons like lights, they're just a distraction, to both the user and the people around.
    >
    > However, I would really like to read your papers/presentation if they're publicly available. I'm really interested in psychology and they would be really interesting to read! Only if they're publicly available or you feel comfortable sharing them though.
    >
    > Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you second paragraph. That was the original point I was trying to make, not that stimming doesn't help or that it should stop (which again I think is plum. If it helps the person and isn't harming other people, why make them stop? My hair twirling/petting doesn't hurt anyone)
    >
    > Edit: omg sorry for the super long paragraphs. I didn't mean to go on this long

Hey it's fine! It's not something I would post on here, and they aren't published because they were just meta-analysis done for two separate colloquiums (not official papers published in a journal, though I plan to be there some day! They are just very research heavy.) The presentation was actually done with a group of Autistic students on my campus. But yes, even in mainstream treatment for autism, stimming is heavily stigmatized. Granted, some behaviors like chewing your fingers, banging your head, etc. can be harmful and do need to stop, hand flapping and other types of stimming are frequently targeted. My ex just left an interview the other day because the woman told her that she had the children at the school, which is for autistic children, run 3 miles per day and engage in almost constant activity to curb the behavior, never giving them an option to learn to stim in healthy ways or do much of anything/be alone. Research also suggests that trying to stop the behavior can be detrimental to a person's mental health, causing severe anxiety. Stim/Fidget toys are a way to offset those distracting and dangerous stimming behaviors without directly forcing oneself or another to stop engaging in those behaviors.

As I stated in another post, I totally see where you're coming from. It is directly why I hate that it has been appropriated by non-disabled, neurotypical people. They misuse them, and get them banned from schools which negatively impacts those of us who use and find the "toys" helpful for curbing autism/adhd/sensory related behaviors that can be damaging. I also feel, to an extent, that my community is being mocked in some sort of way when videos such as the one that Markiplier on youtube came out with (related to fidget spinners) are commonplace. While I don't necessarily mind if people who aren't disabled or neurodivergent use these things, I think the new mainstream subculture that's been formed around it is pretty offensive, and harmful. What my autistic students group is doing this next semester is inviting individuals from local schools to come learn what fidget/stim toys are, how banning them and allowing non-disabled, neurotypical students use of these items to stigmatize them is harmful to disabled and neurodivergent students, how to offer alternatives, where to find alternatives, how to talk to their students about these issues and raise awareness/acceptance for autism/adhd in the classroom, and how to create stims/fidgets like a glitter bottle, stress ball, etc. that could be a fun activity in the classroom.
  • Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    boopish wrote: »
    > @Kandy said:
    >
    > > @DeKay said:
    > > I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\
    >
    > Same, I have autism and it's actually really getting to be a burden. People now look at me like I'm ridiculous if I take a fidget toy out of my bag to stim with (otherwise I chew my fingers or flap my hands).
    >
    > Also, at whomever said research has shown they don't help, I am psychology major and I study autism and based on both the fact that I've written two papers, done a presentation on, and have personal experience with fidget toys, I directly refute your claim. They do help. They don't stop stimming behavior, which I think might be why you're stating this, they just redirect it. Research studies I've read tend to focus way too much on whether or not the stim toys stop behaviors, and not on whether or not they reduce the severity or amount of time spent engaging in behaviors. They've been shown to be helpful at redirecting harmful and distracting behaviors. A lot of autistic people I know, to include myself, chew our fingers, flap our hands, or otherwise need something to occupy our hands with and it does help.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I didn't word my original statement properly. What I was trying to say wasn't that stimming doesn't help, or that it doesn't stop stimming, but that typically in classrooms, fidget spinners just lead to more distractions, which doesn't help at all. Also idk why anyone would want to stop stimming? That just seems plum to me-if I'm forced to stop rubbing my hair or biting my fingernails, I get even more stressed out. I definitely understand wanting to redirect stimming into something like fidget spinners, which can be quieter or less obstrusive, especially in a classroom. But as I detailed above, whether or not it's the fidgeter's fault, in classrooms (this is in high school/middle school btw, not college, where I imagine people are more mature), they aren't being used for their original intent, and are instead distractions, whether the kid is using it as a distraction or not. If they hadn't become a fad, and people didn't freak out and insist on using it whenever they saw one, fidget spinners wouldb be fine. But because of the reactions of the people around the user, plus all the fidget spinners with add ons like lights, they're just a distraction, to both the user and the people around.
    >
    > However, I would really like to read your papers/presentation if they're publicly available. I'm really interested in psychology and they would be really interesting to read! Only if they're publicly available or you feel comfortable sharing them though.
    >
    > Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you second paragraph. That was the original point I was trying to make, not that stimming doesn't help or that it should stop (which again I think is plum. If it helps the person and isn't harming other people, why make them stop? My hair twirling/petting doesn't hurt anyone)
    >
    > Edit: omg sorry for the super long paragraphs. I didn't mean to go on this long

Hey it's fine! It's not something I would post on here, and they aren't published because they were just meta-analysis done for two separate colloquiums (not official papers published in a journal, though I plan to be there some day! They are just very research heavy.) The presentation was actually done with a group of Autistic students on my campus. But yes, even in mainstream treatment for autism, stimming is heavily stigmatized. Granted, some behaviors like chewing your fingers, banging your head, etc. can be harmful and do need to stop, hand flapping and other types of stimming are frequently targeted. My ex just left an interview the other day because the woman told her that she had the children at the school, which is for autistic children, run 3 miles per day and engage in almost constant activity to curb the behavior, never giving them an option to learn to stim in healthy ways or do much of anything/be alone. Research also suggests that trying to stop the behavior can be detrimental to a person's mental health, causing severe anxiety. Stim/Fidget toys are a way to offset those distracting and dangerous stimming behaviors without directly forcing oneself or another to stop engaging in those behaviors.

Still, that's super cool! Getting to write papers like that all day is my dream haha.

Oh my god that's horrible. Seriously, being taught healthy, non-destructive ways to stim should be the priority! And engaging in constant activity can't be healthy. And that's just not realistic. In the working world, they won't be able to run around all day. Wouldn't it be more useful to teach them, as you said, non-destructive but still calming ways to stim? The fact that someone can run a school like that is just horrible.
    > @Kandy said:
    >
    > > @DeKay said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

As I stated in another post, I totally see where you're coming from. It is directly why I hate that it has been appropriated by non-disabled, neurotypical people. They misuse them, and get them banned from schools which negatively impacts those of us who use and find the "toys" helpful for curbing autism/adhd/sensory related behaviors that can be damaging. I also feel, to an extent, that my community is being mocked in some sort of way when videos such as the one that Markiplier on youtube came out with (related to fidget spinners) are commonplace. While I don't necessarily mind if people who aren't disabled or neurodivergent use these things, I think the new mainstream subculture that's been formed around it is pretty offensive, and harmful. What my autistic students group is doing this next semester is inviting individuals from local schools to come learn what fidget/stim toys are, how banning them and allowing non-disabled, neurotypical students use of these items to stigmatize them is harmful to disabled and neurodivergent students, how to offer alternatives, where to find alternatives, how to talk to their students about these issues and raise awareness/acceptance for autism/adhd in the classroom, and how to create stims/fidgets like a glitter bottle, stress ball, etc. that could be a fun activity in the classroom.

That's actually really cool! I wish there was a way to just... get students to understand how they're harming people who actually need to stim by using fidget spinners as a toy/distraction. Or to just educate them about that sort of stuff in general. Poor teachers already have more than enough on their plate, and adding students who misuse fidget spinners is just another thing that hinders their ability to connect with, teach, and help students. If everything could just stop being misused, that would be wonderful. We had "rubber erasers" a few years back that has a similar affect to fidget spinners, and most people used they respectfully, so they were never banned. I feel like it just comes down to most student's disrespect for their learning environment and the students around them. because they don't care about school, they don't care that they're distracting other students. It's one thing if you have ADHD and can physically not stay still (basically, it's not that kid's fault), and it's another thing if the student is just being immature and disrespectful. And I feel like the widespread-ness of fidget spinners has come about because of students not respecting their learning environment, and just disguising fidget spinners as a tool to help them focus, when it's anything but. And in turn, this harms kids who actually need things like fidget spinners to focus, because for most people, the idea of fidget spinners helping their concentration is just an excuse.

Phew :lol: I've been out of school for two days and I already wrote a darn essay.
  • Options
    > @Kandy said:
    >
    > > @Kandy said:
    > > boopish wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @DeKay said:
    > > > I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\
    > >
    > > Same, I have autism and it's actually really getting to be a burden. People now look at me like I'm ridiculous if I take a fidget toy out of my bag to stim with (otherwise I chew my fingers or flap my hands).
    > >
    > > Also, at whomever said research has shown they don't help, I am psychology major and I study autism and based on both the fact that I've written two papers, done a presentation on, and have personal experience with fidget toys, I directly refute your claim. They do help. They don't stop stimming behavior, which I think might be why you're stating this, they just redirect it. Research studies I've read tend to focus way too much on whether or not the stim toys stop behaviors, and not on whether or not they reduce the severity or amount of time spent engaging in behaviors. They've been shown to be helpful at redirecting harmful and distracting behaviors. A lot of autistic people I know, to include myself, chew our fingers, flap our hands, or otherwise need something to occupy our hands with and it does help.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I didn't word my original statement properly. What I was trying to say wasn't that stimming doesn't help, or that it doesn't stop stimming, but that typically in classrooms, fidget spinners just lead to more distractions, which doesn't help at all. Also idk why anyone would want to stop stimming? That just seems plum to me-if I'm forced to stop rubbing my hair or biting my fingernails, I get even more stressed out. I definitely understand wanting to redirect stimming into something like fidget spinners, which can be quieter or less obstrusive, especially in a classroom. But as I detailed above, whether or not it's the fidgeter's fault, in classrooms (this is in high school/middle school btw, not college, where I imagine people are more mature), they aren't being used for their original intent, and are instead distractions, whether the kid is using it as a distraction or not. If they hadn't become a fad, and people didn't freak out and insist on using it whenever they saw one, fidget spinners wouldb be fine. But because of the reactions of the people around the user, plus all the fidget spinners with add ons like lights, they're just a distraction, to both the user and the people around.
    > >
    > > However, I would really like to read your papers/presentation if they're publicly available. I'm really interested in psychology and they would be really interesting to read! Only if they're publicly available or you feel comfortable sharing them though.
    > >
    > > Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you second paragraph. That was the original point I was trying to make, not that stimming doesn't help or that it should stop (which again I think is plum. If it helps the person and isn't harming other people, why make them stop? My hair twirling/petting doesn't hurt anyone)
    > >
    > > Edit: omg sorry for the super long paragraphs. I didn't mean to go on this long
    >
    > Hey it's fine! It's not something I would post on here, and they aren't published because they were just meta-analysis done for two separate colloquiums (not official papers published in a journal, though I plan to be there some day! They are just very research heavy.) The presentation was actually done with a group of Autistic students on my campus. But yes, even in mainstream treatment for autism, stimming is heavily stigmatized. Granted, some behaviors like chewing your fingers, banging your head, etc. can be harmful and do need to stop, hand flapping and other types of stimming are frequently targeted. My ex just left an interview the other day because the woman told her that she had the children at the school, which is for autistic children, run 3 miles per day and engage in almost constant activity to curb the behavior, never giving them an option to learn to stim in healthy ways or do much of anything/be alone. Research also suggests that trying to stop the behavior can be detrimental to a person's mental health, causing severe anxiety. Stim/Fidget toys are a way to offset those distracting and dangerous stimming behaviors without directly forcing oneself or another to stop engaging in those behaviors.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Still, that's super cool! Getting to write papers like that all day is my dream haha.
    >
    > Oh my god that's horrible. Seriously, being taught healthy, non-destructive ways to stim should be the priority! And engaging in constant activity can't be healthy. And that's just not realistic. In the working world, they won't be able to run around all day. Wouldn't it be more useful to teach them, as you said, non-destructive but still calming ways to stim? The fact that someone can run a school like that is just horrible.
    >
    > > @Kandy said:
    > > boopish wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @DeKay said:
    > > > I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\
    > >
    > > Same, I have autism and it's actually really getting to be a burden. People now look at me like I'm ridiculous if I take a fidget toy out of my bag to stim with (otherwise I chew my fingers or flap my hands).
    > >
    > > Also, at whomever said research has shown they don't help, I am psychology major and I study autism and based on both the fact that I've written two papers, done a presentation on, and have personal experience with fidget toys, I directly refute your claim. They do help. They don't stop stimming behavior, which I think might be why you're stating this, they just redirect it. Research studies I've read tend to focus way too much on whether or not the stim toys stop behaviors, and not on whether or not they reduce the severity or amount of time spent engaging in behaviors. They've been shown to be helpful at redirecting harmful and distracting behaviors. A lot of autistic people I know, to include myself, chew our fingers, flap our hands, or otherwise need something to occupy our hands with and it does help.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I didn't word my original statement properly. What I was trying to say wasn't that stimming doesn't help, or that it doesn't stop stimming, but that typically in classrooms, fidget spinners just lead to more distractions, which doesn't help at all. Also idk why anyone would want to stop stimming? That just seems plum to me-if I'm forced to stop rubbing my hair or biting my fingernails, I get even more stressed out. I definitely understand wanting to redirect stimming into something like fidget spinners, which can be quieter or less obstrusive, especially in a classroom. But as I detailed above, whether or not it's the fidgeter's fault, in classrooms (this is in high school/middle school btw, not college, where I imagine people are more mature), they aren't being used for their original intent, and are instead distractions, whether the kid is using it as a distraction or not. If they hadn't become a fad, and people didn't freak out and insist on using it whenever they saw one, fidget spinners wouldb be fine. But because of the reactions of the people around the user, plus all the fidget spinners with add ons like lights, they're just a distraction, to both the user and the people around.
    > >
    > > However, I would really like to read your papers/presentation if they're publicly available. I'm really interested in psychology and they would be really interesting to read! Only if they're publicly available or you feel comfortable sharing them though.
    > >
    > > Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you second paragraph. That was the original point I was trying to make, not that stimming doesn't help or that it should stop (which again I think is plum. If it helps the person and isn't harming other people, why make them stop? My hair twirling/petting doesn't hurt anyone)
    > >
    > > Edit: omg sorry for the super long paragraphs. I didn't mean to go on this long
    >
    > As I stated in another post, I totally see where you're coming from. It is directly why I hate that it has been appropriated by non-disabled, neurotypical people. They misuse them, and get them banned from schools which negatively impacts those of us who use and find the "toys" helpful for curbing autism/adhd/sensory related behaviors that can be damaging. I also feel, to an extent, that my community is being mocked in some sort of way when videos such as the one that Markiplier on youtube came out with (related to fidget spinners) are commonplace. While I don't necessarily mind if people who aren't disabled or neurodivergent use these things, I think the new mainstream subculture that's been formed around it is pretty offensive, and harmful. What my autistic students group is doing this next semester is inviting individuals from local schools to come learn what fidget/stim toys are, how banning them and allowing non-disabled, neurotypical students use of these items to stigmatize them is harmful to disabled and neurodivergent students, how to offer alternatives, where to find alternatives, how to talk to their students about these issues and raise awareness/acceptance for autism/adhd in the classroom, and how to create stims/fidgets like a glitter bottle, stress ball, etc. that could be a fun activity in the classroom.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's actually really cool! I wish there was a way to just... get students to understand how they're harming people who actually need to stim by using fidget spinners as a toy/distraction. Or to just educate them about that sort of stuff in general. Poor teachers already have more than enough on their plate, and adding students who misuse fidget spinners is just another thing that hinders their ability to connect with, teach, and help students. If everything could just stop being misused, that would be wonderful. We had "rubber erasers" a few years back that has a similar affect to fidget spinners, and most people used they respectfully, so they were never banned. I feel like it just comes down to most student's disrespect for their learning environment and the students around them. because they don't care about school, they don't care that they're distracting other students. It's one thing if you have ADHD and can physically not stay still (basically, it's not that kid's fault), and it's another thing if the student is just being immature and disrespectful. And I feel like the widespread-ness of fidget spinners has come about because of students not respecting their learning environment, and just disguising fidget spinners as a tool to help them focus, when it's anything but. And in turn, this harms kids who actually need things like fidget spinners to focus, because for most people, the idea of fidget spinners helping their concentration is just an excuse.
    >
    > Phew :lol: I've been out of school for two days and I already wrote a darn essay.

You and I both, but psychology and disability rights activism are my passions in and outside of academics, so I love these sorts of discussions.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    > @DeKay said:
    > I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\

Same, I have autism and it's actually really getting to be a burden. People now look at me like I'm ridiculous if I take a fidget toy out of my bag to stim with (otherwise I chew my fingers or flap my hands).

Also, at whomever said research has shown they don't help, I am psychology major and I study autism and based on both the fact that I've written two papers, done a presentation on, and have personal experience with fidget toys, I directly refute your claim. They do help. They don't stop stimming behavior, which I think might be why you're stating this, they just redirect it. Research studies I've read tend to focus way too much on whether or not the stim toys stop behaviors, and not on whether or not they reduce the severity or amount of time spent engaging in behaviors. They've been shown to be helpful at redirecting harmful and distracting behaviors. A lot of autistic people I know, to include myself, chew our fingers, flap our hands, or otherwise need something to occupy our hands with and it does help.

Also, to break down why I dislike the fact that stim/fidgets are becoming a fad, let me just state that people with disabilities, autism, and adhd tend to have their own cultures. A lot of this culture revolves around fidget and stim toys. By non-disabled, neurotypical people making it a mainstream fad, they are appropriating that culture. Furthermore, by abusing and appropriating the use of these items, non-disabled, neurotypical individuals have gotten these toys banned from their schools, which harms those students who do need them, and have impacted the prices of these items. They have also created an atmosphere in which it is seen as a "ridiculous fad" and is thus stigmatized to use stim/fidget toys in public settings.

I agree with this. I can't really speak for the ADHD/people with anxiety community but I have mild autism myself. However, I don't really fidget much which is why I didn't need the fidget toy in the first place. But I do feel like it might help some other people and it's kinda sad that these are going to be taken away from them in school just cuz some other kids are playing around with it and disrupting the class. Totally ruining the purpose of the product. :\
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    > @OEII1001 said:
    > People appropriate cultures all the time. The iconic all-American cowboy hat was appropriated from Mexican vaqueros. Christmas trees were appropriated from pagan Yule celebrations. There is nothing wrong with appropriating a toy.
    >
    > That being said, I think they're annoying and I hope not to see them in my game.

With all do respect, you contradicted yourself. You're last statement is the very reason appropriating this is wrong. Also, it's not a just a toy, it's a tool, and had they not been appropriated into mainstream culture, you likely would not know nor care about them. But because they have been appropriated, people such as yourself have negative views on them and it therefore negatively impacts those that do find these stim/fidget "toys" useful.

With all the respect due to a random, anonymous stranger on the internet, fidget spinners are not a culture. They are a product with zero scientific evidence supporting the claims of the manufacturers. They represent only the latest in a long history of people being taken in by the claims of snake oil.

All of that aside, cultural appropriation is not harmful, but rather beneficial. It breaks down barriers between groups. It just so happens that fad toys are not an ethnic group.
  • Options
    > @OEII1001 said:
    >
    > > @OEII1001 said:
    > > People appropriate cultures all the time. The iconic all-American cowboy hat was appropriated from Mexican vaqueros. Christmas trees were appropriated from pagan Yule celebrations. There is nothing wrong with appropriating a toy.
    > >
    > > That being said, I think they're annoying and I hope not to see them in my game.
    >
    > With all do respect, you contradicted yourself. You're last statement is the very reason appropriating this is wrong. Also, it's not a just a toy, it's a tool, and had they not been appropriated into mainstream culture, you likely would not know nor care about them. But because they have been appropriated, people such as yourself have negative views on them and it therefore negatively impacts those that do find these stim/fidget "toys" useful.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > With all the respect due to a random, anonymous stranger on the internet, fidget spinners are not a culture. They are a product with zero scientific evidence supporting the claims of the manufacturers. They represent only the latest in a long history of people being taken in by the claims of snake oil.
    >
    > All of that aside, cultural appropriation is not harmful, but rather beneficial. It breaks down barriers between groups. It just so happens that fad toys are not an ethnic group.

I'm sorry, but there is quite a bit of evidence, as I stated previously, to suggest that it does help lessen harmful stimming behaviors among people with autism or other disorder that need to keep their hands busy. It's not meant to stop behaviors, merely to redirect them. I know from personal experience as well, that it does help. I used to stim by chewing my fingers bloody and scratch at my skin, but using things like a fidget cube has helped me keep my hands busy in other ways. Stim toys have been a thing for over several decades, and they themselves are not a culture but they play a significant role among the culture disabled/neurodivergent people have built for themselves because they were designed for those people. And no, do you really think people rolling around in wheelchairs or getting wheelchairs simply to deck them out because they think it is cool is breaking down societal barriers? Because that is almost essentially what is happening here. A tool that many people use to help curb harmful self-stimulatory behaviors (because that is the intended purpose of said tool) is being used by people who don't need it, and who are getting it banned in some places because they decided these things are cool.

Also, back to your original analogies, do you realize how disrespectful those were? I myself am Pagan. I adhere to a Pagan religion, and I am also German. I know many people who adhere to Asatru (German Paganism) that do get upset because of the appropriation that occurred to those who practiced it. In what is now known at the city of Mainz, there once existed a tree theorized to be the basis of the myth of the tree of life. People attempting to convert the people there through appropriation are said to have cut down that very sacred tree and converted it into a church, erasing something that people revered and held dear to their identities.

The cultural appropriation of the German Pagan religion directly led to the the dismantling and almost complete disappearance of that culture, and the cultural identity of many people. It WAS harmful. All of those Yule rituals virtually lost their original meaning because people appropriated it.

You are essentially suggesting that erasing a culture is a good thing. And quite frankly, because you don't seem to be able to empathize with nor respect others, I am blocking/ignoring you, so this conversation is over.
  • Options
    > @OEII1001 said:
    >
    > > @OEII1001 said:
    > > People appropriate cultures all the time. The iconic all-American cowboy hat was appropriated from Mexican vaqueros. Christmas trees were appropriated from pagan Yule celebrations. There is nothing wrong with appropriating a toy.
    > >
    > > That being said, I think they're annoying and I hope not to see them in my game.
    >
    > With all do respect, you contradicted yourself. You're last statement is the very reason appropriating this is wrong. Also, it's not a just a toy, it's a tool, and had they not been appropriated into mainstream culture, you likely would not know nor care about them. But because they have been appropriated, people such as yourself have negative views on them and it therefore negatively impacts those that do find these stim/fidget "toys" useful.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > With all the respect due to a random, anonymous stranger on the internet, fidget spinners are not a culture. They are a product with zero scientific evidence supporting the claims of the manufacturers. They represent only the latest in a long history of people being taken in by the claims of snake oil.
    >
    > All of that aside, cultural appropriation is not harmful, but rather beneficial. It breaks down barriers between groups. It just so happens that fad toys are not an ethnic group.

I'm sorry, but there is quite a bit of evidence, as I stated previously, to suggest that it does help lessen harmful stimming behaviors among people with autism or other disorder that need to keep their hands busy. It's not meant to stop behaviors, merely to redirect them. I know from personal experience as well, that it does help. I used to stim by chewing my fingers bloody and scratch at my skin, but using things like a fidget cube has helped me keep my hands busy in other ways. Stim toys have been a thing for over several decades, and they themselves are not a culture but they play a significant role among the culture disabled/neurodivergent people have built for themselves because they were designed for those people. And no, do you really think people rolling around in wheelchairs or getting wheelchairs simply to deck them out because they think it is cool is breaking down societal barriers? Because that is almost essentially what is happening here. A tool that many people use to help curb harmful self-stimulatory behaviors (because that is the intended purpose of said tool) is being used by people who don't need it, and who are getting it banned in some places because they decided these things are cool.

Also, back to your original analogies, do you realize how disrespectful those were? I myself am Pagan. I adhere to a Pagan religion, and I am also German. I know many people who adhere to Asatru (German Paganism) that do get upset because of the appropriation that occurred to those who practiced it. In what is now known at the city of Mainz, there once existed a tree theorized to be the basis of the myth of the tree of life. People attempting to convert the people there through appropriation are said to have cut down that very sacred tree and converted it into a church, erasing something that people revered and held dear to their identities.

The cultural appropriation of the German Pagan religion directly led to the the dismantling and almost complete disappearance of that culture, and the cultural identity of many people. It WAS harmful. All of those Yule rituals virtually lost their original meaning because people appropriated it.

You are essentially suggesting that erasing a culture is a good thing. And quite frankly, because you don't seem to be able to empathize with nor respect others, I am blocking/ignoring you, so this conversation is over.

I would hope that someone claiming to be in the field of research would understand the difference between anecdotal and scientific evidence. Regardless, given your eager efforts to paint me as some sort of bigot, I think it would be good if we do not interact from here forward. Fare thee well, stranger.
  • Options
    I would also like to note that random strangers on the internet are still human beings, and therefore worthy of basic respect. There, I'm done.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I would also like to note that random strangers on the internet are still human beings, and therefore worthy of basic respect. There, I'm done.

They are. But you should practice what you preach. You passed all judgement on me because I said a fad toy was annoying. You don't know a thing about me. Respect is given when respect is shown, stranger.

Now we're done.
  • Options
    kittymama4589kittymama4589 Posts: 2 New Member
    To all of you saying fidget spinners are tools, not toys, here is the TRUE story that proves they are in fact a toy.

A mother (I honestly forgot her name) had a daughter with ADHD, she made homemade toys all the time, but the little girl would just destroy them. Then, one day she came up with the idea of the "spinning toy". Seeing how well her daughter played with it, she tried to sell the idea to a toy company. Sadly, they rejected. 20 years later, the fidget spinner became the most popular toy on the market.

That is the story, but why would she sell a TOOL to a toy company? Proof that the fidget spinner is a toy, and it is not useless. And no, I'm not in anyway supporting this toy, I don't like it either. But I'm tired of hearing it be call the wrong thing.
  • Options
    kittymama4589kittymama4589 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @ponderosa said:
    > I hope they make cc for people who do want them, but personally, I don't see how they serve a purpose in the Sims world. Besides, it's unfortunately a fad. By the time they finished making something like this, the trend would be over. It would only end up dating the game.

Most of the content we have in game doesn't serve a purpose, either! But you know why Maxis (or EA) makes 'em? 'Cause they know a lot of us will love 'em. I can see the children sims spinning these lil' things.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Trading Standards are testing them in Scotland as there are safety issues. "some batches have been imported from China and may be defective. They contain small parts and some light-up versions of the toys are powered by button batteries which can cause internal burn injuries if ingested>>>>>".

I could see this as a cause of Death for toddlers in Sims4. >:)
  • Options
    jereni11jereni11 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, I want for you to ask for help in the choice of fidget, that strongly gets my husband tired at work and at home small speaks and breaks away often, I very need your help, I read that they well settle nerves https://fidgetsguide.com/best-fidget-toys/ that will suit better for a husband.
  • Options
    FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Please no, even just the word "fidget spinner" sounds cringey
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    this, is a Keyblade...
    latest?cb=20150124020513

Now Pretend this keyblade is a Fidget spinner...

giphy_1_by_mphattyboi-dbkep1c.gif
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2017
    I want a fidget spinner for my game!!!

Same. Why not? More things for sims to do is better.
  • Options
    caralina1324caralina1324 Posts: 51 Member
    I mean, they probably have mods for this already but I don't think they are functional.