Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

fidget spinner

I want a fidget spinner for my game!!!
Origin id: ActuallySammy
If you want to respond to me please make sure to @ me.

Comments

• meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Omg same!
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I hope this shows, but how about something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/videos/3221411451239356/
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I hope this shows, but how about something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/videos/3221411451239356/

Awwwwwwww!
    かわいい!
    KAWAII!!
    ♡ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\

Agree.
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\

I was just thinking this. Plus the fad will probably be over by the time they would be added, so it (in my opinion) would be a waste of resources.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member

To be fair, no one actually needs it. It's been proven that they don't actually (or very, very rarely do) help people with ADHD, autism, etc, so basically everyone is just using it as a toy/distraction.

And yeah. By the time they put something like this in, the fad would already be over lol
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Oh good to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »

Agree.

Also agree.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I hope this isn't added as an autonomy idle animation. These Sims do enough to interfere with what I tell them to do, or stop and do silly stuff (like smell the air and sigh,...get on with it already!) lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Kandy wrote: »

To be fair, no one actually needs it. It's been proven that they don't actually (or very, very rarely do) help people with ADHD, autism, etc, so basically everyone is just using it as a toy/distraction.

And yeah. By the time they put something like this in, the fad would already be over lol

I'm sorry idk what research you are talking about, but fidget spinners were designed for children/adults with autism/ADHD who have a fidget problem. Not all those with autism/ADHD have the need to fidget. And some fidget needs are different, some will tap their foot, some chew, and some fidget with their hands. The ones who are hand fidgeters, are for whom the fidget spinner was designed. My ADHD daughter is a chewer. I bought her a necklace, usually used for teething babies, to chew on during school. That way she keeps her hands and pencils out of her mouth,and the necklace is down inside her shirt, when not in use, to stay clean. When she can't chew she says it is like an itch you cant scratch. The necklace helps to calm her nerves, for she also has anxiety, and it soothes the need to chew, so she isn't putting germs into her mouth and she can concentrate on her school work. She can use this necklace quietly at her desk, causing no distractions to the class. This is what fidget spinners were for, so children, who are hand fidgeters, to soothe that need without distracting others. Other kids picked up on it, and it has turned into a fad. Which IMHO is appalling.
    Now as far as this research showing they don't help. Who was the subjects? Were they children with an actual hand fidgeting problem? If they provided the spinners I've seen around today, no wonder they didn't help. How is a shiny, spinner or one with lights supposed to not cause distraction. They have turned them into toys, and the use is nothing close for what they were originally intended. And if the subjects used in this study did not have a hand fidget problem, well how is it going to help someone for whom the product was not intended? It wouldn't help my daughter. She is a chewer, it would just be a toy to her.
    As far as putting them into TS4. No. Just no. The fidget spinner was designed for people with disabilities, and has been turned into a crazed fad. It's appalling, to me. Fidget spinners do not belong in TS4.
  • boopishboopish Posts: 143 Member
    > @DeKay said:
    > I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\

Same, I have autism and it's actually really getting to be a burden. People now look at me like I'm ridiculous if I take a fidget toy out of my bag to stim with (otherwise I chew my fingers or flap my hands).

Also, at whomever said research has shown they don't help, I am psychology major and I study autism and based on both the fact that I've written two papers, done a presentation on, and have personal experience with fidget toys, I directly refute your claim. They do help. They don't stop stimming behavior, which I think might be why you're stating this, they just redirect it. Research studies I've read tend to focus way too much on whether or not the stim toys stop behaviors, and not on whether or not they reduce the severity or amount of time spent engaging in behaviors. They've been shown to be helpful at redirecting harmful and distracting behaviors. A lot of autistic people I know, to include myself, chew our fingers, flap our hands, or otherwise need something to occupy our hands with and it does help.

Also, to break down why I dislike the fact that stim/fidgets are becoming a fad, let me just state that people with disabilities, autism, and adhd tend to have their own cultures. A lot of this culture revolves around fidget and stim toys. By non-disabled, neurotypical people making it a mainstream fad, they are appropriating that culture. Furthermore, by abusing and appropriating the use of these items, non-disabled, neurotypical individuals have gotten these toys banned from their schools, which harms those students who do need them, and have impacted the prices of these items. They have also created an atmosphere in which it is seen as a "ridiculous fad" and is thus stigmatized to use stim/fidget toys in public settings.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    People appropriate cultures all the time. The iconic all-American cowboy hat was appropriated from Mexican vaqueros. Christmas trees were appropriated from pagan Yule celebrations. There is nothing wrong with appropriating a toy.

That being said, I think they're annoying and I hope not to see them in my game.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member

I agree. It is really becoming annoying. Sigh...
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Kids today.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I seriously cannot wait for this fad to pass. There are people at work with them, and they are seriously annoying. That sound they make while I am trying to work makes me want to punch something. I suppose it is just a very expensive toy for people that would otherwise just click their pen.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Fidget spinners are stupid, annoying and the science behind them are questionable, end of story. I can't stand them going off in real life let alone Sims doing it
    FFCOojX.gif
  • KlumsyKateKlumsyKate Posts: 451 Member
    edited May 2017

They say it was a stress-relieving toy. However, I'm not a huge fan of it either. Schools are even banning fidget spinners because it is so annoying.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    In my opinion, fidget spinners are important in real life (benefits for quite a few groups), but wouldn't really serve much purpose in the Sims world.
    > @OEII1001 said:
    > People appropriate cultures all the time. The iconic all-American cowboy hat was appropriated from Mexican vaqueros. Christmas trees were appropriated from pagan Yule celebrations. There is nothing wrong with appropriating a toy.
    >
    > That being said, I think they're annoying and I hope not to see them in my game.

With all do respect, you contradicted yourself. You're last statement is the very reason appropriating this is wrong. Also, it's not a just a toy, it's a tool, and had they not been appropriated into mainstream culture, you likely would not know nor care about them. But because they have been appropriated, people such as yourself have negative views on them and it therefore negatively impacts those that do find these stim/fidget "toys" useful.
    due*** I apologize, I am tying this from a phone.
  • ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member
    I hope they make cc for people who do want them, but personally, I don't see how they serve a purpose in the Sims world. Besides, it's unfortunately a fad. By the time they finished making something like this, the trend would be over. It would only end up dating the game.
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa

I'm sorry idk what research you are talking about, but fidget spinners were designed for children/adults with autism/ADHD who have a fidget problem. Not all those with autism/ADHD have the need to fidget. And some fidget needs are different, some will tap their foot, some chew, and some fidget with their hands. The ones who are hand fidgeters, are for whom the fidget spinner was designed. My ADHD daughter is a chewer. I bought her a necklace, usually used for teething babies, to chew on during school. That way she keeps her hands and pencils out of her mouth,and the necklace is down inside her shirt, when not in use, to stay clean. When she can't chew she says it is like an itch you cant scratch. The necklace helps to calm her nerves, for she also has anxiety, and it soothes the need to chew, so she isn't putting germs into her mouth and she can concentrate on her school work. She can use this necklace quietly at her desk, causing no distractions to the class. This is what fidget spinners were for, so children, who are hand fidgeters, to soothe that need without distracting others. Other kids picked up on it, and it has turned into a fad. Which IMHO is appalling.

I'm not trying to say that stimming isn't a thing. Apologies if I came off that way. I have to twirl my hair, bite my fingernails/pencils, etc. when there's too much going on around me. What I was trying to say was that, from what I've read/seen, fidget spinners don't usually help people who do need to stim. What with them having different colors, lighting up, etc. and all this extra stuff, a lot of the time they're a distraction rather than a way to help the person focus. As I said, I'm sure some people are helped by fidget spinners, but a lot of fidget spinners are used rather as a distraction than a tool to help the person focus. Though they were intended to help kids with ADHD, autism, etc. keep themselves focused, they aren't generally being used this way (this is just based off what I've experienced in my own school, and what I've read from a lot of teachers).

Now as far as this research showing they don't help. Who was the subjects? Were they children with an actual hand fidgeting problem? If they provided the spinners I've seen around today, no wonder they didn't help. How is a shiny, spinner or one with lights supposed to not cause distraction. They have turned them into toys, and the use is nothing close for what they were originally intended. And if the subjects used in this study did not have a hand fidget problem, well how is it going to help someone for whom the product was not intended? It wouldn't help my daughter. She is a chewer, it would just be a toy to her.
    As far as putting them into TS4. No. Just no. The fidget spinner was designed for people with disabilities, and has been turned into a crazed fad. It's appalling, to me. Fidget spinners do not belong in TS4.

I don't think there's actually been any studies on fidget spinners specifically. Just on stimming/fidgeting in general. I was wrong in my original statement (that they don't help anyone). Again, it's only the super colorful spinners or ones that light up that are an issue. A small spinner that one person is just quietly spinning to themselves isn't-and shouldn't be-a problem. Again, the issue is the attention that those fidget spinners take away from the student. Even if you have a regular, solid black spinner, students around that person will flock to them, ask to play with the spinner, etc. etc. I've seen this happen with the guy who sits next to me in Spanish. His fidget spinner is just plain black, nothing special. But all of his friends are constantly asking to play with it, see it, etc. The original intention of the plain black spinner was to give this kid some "background noise" so he can pay attention, but the way it's being used/responded to isn't actually helping.

Sometimes, it's not even the kid that's using it who's at fault. People around the kid will be the distractions by, as I said above, asking to use it. If fidget spinners were used as the way they were originally intended to-quiet, personal devices that help a person focus, there wouldn't be a problem. But they're not being used that way. They draw attention to the user, they get played with by other kids, they get thrown around, etc. etc. And all of that just distracts the user even more.
    edited May 2017
    boopish wrote: »
    > @DeKay said:
    > I hate to be a party pooper but I hate people who use fidget spinners when they don't need it and also just using it as a toy or fad. :\

Same, I have autism and it's actually really getting to be a burden. People now look at me like I'm ridiculous if I take a fidget toy out of my bag to stim with (otherwise I chew my fingers or flap my hands).

Also, at whomever said research has shown they don't help, I am psychology major and I study autism and based on both the fact that I've written two papers, done a presentation on, and have personal experience with fidget toys, I directly refute your claim. They do help. They don't stop stimming behavior, which I think might be why you're stating this, they just redirect it. Research studies I've read tend to focus way too much on whether or not the stim toys stop behaviors, and not on whether or not they reduce the severity or amount of time spent engaging in behaviors. They've been shown to be helpful at redirecting harmful and distracting behaviors. A lot of autistic people I know, to include myself, chew our fingers, flap our hands, or otherwise need something to occupy our hands with and it does help.

I didn't word my original statement properly. What I was trying to say wasn't that stimming doesn't help, or that it doesn't stop stimming, but that typically in classrooms, fidget spinners just lead to more distractions, which doesn't help at all. Also idk why anyone would want to stop stimming? That just seems stupid to me-if I'm forced to stop rubbing my hair or biting my fingernails, I get even more stressed out. I definitely understand wanting to redirect stimming into something like fidget spinners, which can be quieter or less obstrusive, especially in a classroom. But as I detailed above, whether or not it's the fidgeter's fault, in classrooms (this is in high school/middle school btw, not college, where I imagine people are more mature), they aren't being used for their original intent, and are instead distractions, whether the kid is using it as a distraction or not. If they hadn't become a fad, and people didn't freak out and insist on using it whenever they saw one, fidget spinners wouldb be fine. But because of the reactions of the people around the user, plus all the fidget spinners with add ons like lights, they're just a distraction, to both the user and the people around.

However, I would really like to read your papers/presentation if they're publicly available. I'm really interested in psychology and they would be really interesting to read! Only if they're publicly available or you feel comfortable sharing them though.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you second paragraph. That was the original point I was trying to make, not that stimming doesn't help or that it should stop (which again I think is stupid. If it helps the person and isn't harming other people, why make them stop? My hair twirling/petting doesn't hurt anyone)

Edit: omg sorry for the super long paragraphs. I didn't mean to go on this long
  • sassy_simmer727sassy_simmer727 Posts: 87 Member
    edited May 2017
    Fidget spinners: more controversial than abortion
    Happy simming to all and to all a good night.