Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BEYOND Frustrated- Windows 7 Issue

KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
edited May 2017 in The Sims (2000)
Hi there.
I am at my wits end with this game currently.
I ordered the CD Complete Collection version of TS1 last year. Installed it, played a few times, and then one day it stopped working. My startup menu pops up, I click play and pick my resolution, and then NOTHING. The game just stops. If you could even say it started in the first place. I've tried running as Admin, everything. All of it. Tried to replace the .exe with the patched version- Can't find it.
I even tried downloading a few versions online but after they download, I don't get the option to install them. It just takes me straight back to the startup menu where I cannot do ANYTHING.
I cannot even uninstall the game.
Why? Because it isn't showing up on my computer! I can't find the program to uninstall it, as if it doesn't exist on my laptop. In fact, when I put the CD in, the only way to get the game to start up is by going through My Computer and running the file.
I'm at a loss here and am about ready to throw my laptop across the room.
Anyone have ANY ideas?
I am not tech savvy so what I have been able to do has been thru Youtube videos or step-by-step instruction, to no avail.

Comments

• SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    -First of all, if you can't find the game, as if it weren't installed, I would use the program CCleaner (I don't know if you are familiar with it), and go to Tools/Uninstall. I've always found all my programs in its list, so maybe you will find The Sims there too.

-Then, using that same program, analyze and clean your computer (you can unselect the features you don't want it to clean, such as the Recycle Bin). Why using CCleaner? Because it'll remove the temporary files. I always do it after uninstalling any program.

-After that, go to Program Files and check if there is a folder called Maxis. If so, delete it.

-Now, install your game (I don't own the Complete Collection, but I guess there are more than 1 CD). If so, try doing this (I'm quoting myself from another post):

1) Install the base game in this rute: C:\Maxis. Once you do this, you'll have the following directory C:\Maxis\The Sims.
    (So don't install it in the default rute: C:\ProgramFiles\Maxis, that's the important thing).

2) Go to that directory, and inside the folder called The Sims you will see an exe file called Sims. You have to send it to your desktop, and go to its properties:
    2a) Then, click on Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
    2b) After that, also in properties click on Run this program as administrator. Click on accept, and that's it.

3) Try the game without installing any expansions to see if it worked. If not, maybe you have to select another option in compatibility mode, though that's the only one that worked for me.

If you can play the Sims, install all expansions in the rute I named, and that would be all. You don't have to do anything else to the exe file, that's required just when you install the base game, and then it stays that way.

Since The Sims 1 is an old game, it shouldn't require a lot of RAM to function. Please if you try these steps let me know the results :)
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    -First of all, if you can't find the game, as if it weren't installed, I would use the program CCleaner (I don't know if you are familiar with it), and go to Tools/Uninstall. I've always found all my programs in its list, so maybe you will find The Sims there too.

-Then, using that same program, analyze and clean your computer (you can unselect the features you don't want it to clean, such as the Recycle Bin). Why using CCleaner? Because it'll remove the temporary files. I always do it after uninstalling any program.

-After that, go to Program Files and check if there is a folder called Maxis. If so, delete it.

-Now, install your game (I don't own the Complete Collection, but I guess there are more than 1 CD). If so, try doing this (I'm quoting myself from another post):

1) Install the base game in this rute: C:\Maxis. Once you do this, you'll have the following directory C:\Maxis\The Sims.
    (So don't install it in the default rute: C:\ProgramFiles\Maxis, that's the important thing).

2) Go to that directory, and inside the folder called The Sims you will see an exe file called Sims. You have to send it to your desktop, and go to its properties:
    2a) Then, click on Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
    2b) After that, also in properties click on Run this program as administrator. Click on accept, and that's it.

3) Try the game without installing any expansions to see if it worked. If not, maybe you have to select another option in compatibility mode, though that's the only one that worked for me.

If you can play the Sims, install all expansions in the rute I named, and that would be all. You don't have to do anything else to the exe file, that's required just when you install the base game, and then it stays that way.

Since The Sims 1 is an old game, it shouldn't require a lot of RAM to function. Please if you try these steps let me know the results :)

I'll give it a go, thanks!
    @SoniaSimmer It didn't work. I managed to uninstall it and reinstalled but it still isn't working. Sims 2-4 it is. :#:/
  • GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    Assuming you already tried compatibility mode?
    Lift me up - Let me go
    edited May 2017
    Godlike wrote: »
    Assuming you already tried compatibility mode?

Sure did. I even had my brother in-law that works in IT check it out and he can't figure it out either. He took the game to try to install it on his laptop and narrow it down from there. Starting to think it isn't worth all of this trouble. :(
    @KHS12 If you did every single step I mentioned and it didn't work, I think it's your computer that for whatever reason isn't compatible. I don't know what Windows version you have installed or the rest of features it has. If you like, you could tell us and if we can think of a solution we'll post it :)
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

edited May 2017
    @KHS12 If you did every single step I mentioned and it didn't work, I think it's your computer that for whatever reason isn't compatible. I don't know what Windows version you have installed or the rest of features it has. If you like, you could tell us and if we can think of a solution we'll post it :)

Well like I said earlier, it worked before. I was able to play it a handful of times, which is why this is so perplexing to me.
    I have Windows 7!
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    Did you update Windows 7 recently? Also, what compatibility mode settings are you using?
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
    canitbeman wrote: »
    Did you update Windows 7 recently? Also, what compatibility mode settings are you using?

I'd say my laptop has had updates probably 5-6 times since the last time I played. My brother in-law was messing with it yesterday and looked at the comparability settings but he took the game with him and I'm honestly not sure :/ I should know in a few days!
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    edited May 2017
    KHS12 wrote: »

I'd say my laptop has had updates probably 5-6 times since the last time I played. My brother in-law was messing with it yesterday and looked at the comparability settings but he took the game with him and I'm honestly not sure :/ I should know in a few days!

There was a Windows 7 update (KB3086255) that disabled a copy protection scheme used by The Sims and many other older games.
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400

There was a Windows 7 update (KB3086255) that disabled a copy protection scheme used by The Sims and many other older games.

I remember that when I made a factory reset from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1, I had to remove an update that was responsible for my game not working. You could try to remove it and play :)
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

Yep and I initially removed it when I received the complete collection. So its not there anymore and the game still isn't working. :(
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    @KHS12 I play on Windows 7 and also have to delete the KB3086255 update to get mine to launch. The funny thing is, every time I delete it, Windows installs it back the next day. So I basically have to uninstall that update every day I play the Sims 1. You might want to recheck for it. Even if you hide it, it doesn't always stay that way.
    @KHS12 I play on Windows 7 and also have to delete the KB3086255 update to get mine to launch. The funny thing is, every time I delete it, Windows installs it back the next day. So I basically have to uninstall that update every day I play the Sims 1. You might want to recheck for it. Even if you hide it, it doesn't always stay that way.

I've checked but its gone. :(
    My brother in-law checked it out and tried it on his computer. He thinks its an issue with the CD itself, missing a specific component. I'm gonna try to reorder a copy if I can (amazon and ebay are pricey right now) and give it another go.
    If all else fails, I'll just play TS2-4.