Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Preordering Parenthood

I can't see anywhere on origin where you can preorder parenthood. Will this come a little closer to the time or not at all?
Origin ID - eliselove1
Four Seasons Properties

Comments

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Do you really need to pre-order it? It's not like in the shops where there's a limited amount of boxes; we're talking intangible computer code here.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Do you really need to pre-order it? It's not like in the shops where there's a limited amount of boxes; we're talking intangible computer code here.

I agree with this but I kind of gave up making that argument :D anyway, GPs are technically never available on pre-order, neither are SPs, only ever EPs. However, OP, there are people who do preorder GPs on other websites so just keep an eye out for that if you really want to preorder it .. :) but it won't be possible on Origin.
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    Okies, thanks. I know they won't run out.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    Sometimes, if you are excited for a pack, it is nice to preorder just so you can look and see it is there waiting... ;)

I might preorder from Game. I'm gonna be buying the bowling pack today so am hoping that can give me some excitement until parenting comes along. Why must we wait?!!!
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I agree. It's not only that, but i might not have the funds for it when it comes out. I was also thinking about preordering from game, but don't know what they are like when it comes to receiving game codes from them. I don't wanna still be waiting for mine after release date lol
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

edited May 2017
    simlish1 wrote: »
    I agree. It's not only that, but i might not have the funds for it when it comes out. I was also thinking about preordering from game, but don't know what they are like when it comes to receiving game codes from them. I don't wanna still be waiting for mine after release date lol
    Perhaps someone who has preordered from them can let us know? I know they were always excellent in sending out ts3 packs early, I would usually receive them a day before release, but I have not preordered a download from them. It does say on their site that the release date is 29th, so maybe that is when they will send the codes out? (2 days early)

Edit: Just found this in another thread
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    Yep game sends the codes out like a day early but you can only use it on the day parenthood actually comes out. Well thats what happened for me when I used game to buy dine out?

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    simlish1 wrote: »

If you have the money now, why not put it aside so you can spend it later?
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    Well, I went ahead and ordered it since I was buying Bowling anyway... this is what I got from them:
    Game%20Download.JPG?dl=0
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited May 2017
    Please do not pre-order digital copies. There is absolutely zero incentive to do so and the only people that benefit from such purchases are the companies themselves.

Let's make something clear here: you have not even seen the pack. You are asking permission to pay money for a pack you haven't even seen yet. You saw a brief trailer that shows absolutely 0 info regarding the new traits that Sims get based on how they were raised. You saw next to zero interactions or content whatsoever. You have nothing to judge your purchase on beyond the title and about ~1 minute of content showed in a highly cinematic and staged little trailer.

Back in the day, pre-orders existed because there was an X sum of units and sometimes consumers needed to more or less place their bet if they wanted to invest in pre-ordering popular products that were expected to sell out. This will not sell out because it's digital property. You have zero incentive to pre-order. Pre-ordering does not mean you even get to play it sooner, as you could make your purchase 5 minutes before it releases and still play the game at the exact same time as people who pre-ordered.

Really hard to see this in the sense that again, you're basically volunteering to do something that doesn't benefit you, it just benefits EA. I mean, there's a reason this motto exists:

58e000a2a4026_remembernopreorders.jpg.1bcd7a8e98dccb1981ab8c052c68d972.jpg
    Post edited by DeservedCriticism on
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Can you preorder in the US or no?

only EPs can be pre-order GPs never have been @luthienrising ?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

Game in the UK has GP and SP preorders but it's still just a code and you can't use it till the game releases on Origin. I haven't seen a US preorder for a GP, at least not for the last one and maybe the one before that.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited May 2017
    @DeservedCriticism people have their own incentives for pre-ordering, and they can do so if they wish.

I pre-ordered because I was buying the bowling pack and it would just waste my time to go through all the ordering and paying screens again next week when I could just do it all in one go. People might want the money to go out of this weeks wages instead of next weeks.

Whatever the reason, it is up to the individual.

i've stopped commenting on his posts for this very reason. the information delivered is good however 1) the delivery sucks. first thing that comes to my mind is jerk but i remembered my goal for 2017 is to not be petty. 2) lack of knowledge of other peoples situation and their motives for pre-ordering.

i didnt know s u c k s is a banned word
    edited May 2017
    @DeservedCriticism actually I'd think this motto exists for preordering games in their alpha or beta stages rather than for preordering expansions of a game you already own, especially when you're fairly certain you will buy them anyway (and for many simmers, myself included, the need to collect can be a powerful force ;)) - given that those games might never leave their prerelease stages or be really, really bad when they do (and perhaps very different than they appeared to be during their prerelease stages). Although, then again, preordering such games may also give them the very financial boost they need to become great in the first place, so never ever preordering any of them may prevent some really great games from ever seeing the light of day. Guess there's pros and cons to everything. Still, I understand what you're saying. I never preorder anything if doing so doesn't benefit me in some or another straightforward way (like, getting it earlier or associated free content, paying a lower price, etc.). But hey, I get it if people just want to feel like they "own" it before actually having it. To each their own :)

ETA: changed a lot of stuff because I suck at typing coherent sentences using a tablet ;)
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited May 2017
    I dont think you can pre order from origin, you can from CD Keys and also game UK. I personally dont really see the point of pre ordering but i guess it makes sense if you were going to buy another pack and wanted to get it all done and paid for now.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    @DeservedCriticism people have their own incentives for pre-ordering, and they can do so if they wish.

I pre-ordered because I was buying the bowling pack and it would just waste my time to go through all the ordering and paying screens again next week when I could just do it all in one go. People might want the money to go out of this weeks wages instead of next weeks.

Some people also decide to jump off cliffs, and that's their incentive and up to the individual. That doesn't make it a logically sound desire.

Your argument is more or less that making about 15 clicks is such a huge inconvenience that you'd rather pre-order a product you know next to nothing about. Meanwhile, the ramnification of such a practice - not due to one individual but of many individuals following that practice - is that companies often get away with a drop in quality so long as they can hype people up to purchase before people can see the flaws. Sims 4 itself had EA withholding press release copies because there was likely a fear they'd lose out on sales if people saw reviews before purchasing.

When we're talking about the industry as a whole, pre-orders are more damaging than good, and you've not really provided much reason to justify them; it's difficult to take "oh no I'd have to click 15 times again" seriously. Companies that do not allow for pre-orders have more incentive to ensure their game is up to snuff, whereas there HAVE been examples in the video game industry of a game making bank off pre-orders but never quite patching up quality.

orkhid22 wrote: »

i've stopped commenting on his posts for this very reason. the information delivered is good however 1) the delivery plum. first thing that comes to my mind is jerk but i remembered my goal for 2017 is to not be petty. 2) lack of knowledge of other peoples situation and their motives for pre-ordering.

If asking people to challenge their own thoughts and think critically of their actions makes me a jerk, then I dunno what to tell you.
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @DeservedCriticism actually I'd think this motto exists for preordering games in their alpha or beta stages rather than for preordering expansions of a game you already own, especially when you're fairly certain you will buy them anyway (and for many simmers, myself included, the need to collect can be a powerful force ;)) - given that those games might never leave their prerelease stages or be really, really bad when they do (and perhaps very different than they appeared to be during their prerelease stages). Although, then again, preordering such games may also give them the very financial boost they need to become great in the first place, so never ever preordering any of them may prevent some really great games from ever seeing the light of day. Guess there's pros and cons to everything. Still, I understand what you're saying. I never preorder anything if doing so doesn't benefit me in some or another straightforward way (like, getting it earlier or associated free content, paying a lower price, etc.). But hey, I get it if people just want to feel like they "own" it before actually having it. To each their own :)

ETA: changed a lot of stuff because I suck at typing coherent sentences using a tablet ;)

In what universe do most games offer pre-orders for their alpha or beta stages? Seriously, beyond tiny indie games that need said money for development, I've never heard of this being a thing.

The motto absolutely applies to any and all digital pre-orders simply because we lack incentive to pre-order. All of your statements, such as "I'm going to buy anyways," do not justify giving them money in advance. You are in no way harming yourself by holding onto that cash until release day or until you've seen the livestream.

It's really quite simple. You have two options:

A) Wait and inform yourself as much as possible about a purchase by using resources such as livestreams, early access reviews and informative articles, then make your decision to purchase or not based on the information gathered.

B.) Blindly throw money at EA because they did a thing. We dunno really know what the thing is yet, but oh my god it's a thing, so let me mortgage my house real quick.

There is zero meaningful motivation to opt for choice B. All of the arguments anyone has proposed thusfar have the problem where they're either ridiculously petty motivations or the rationale of "I'm going to buy it anyways" does NOT motivate you to purchase now when, as stated, you can still adhere to that belief and still inform yourself and wait.

What's more, that "I'm going to buy it anyways" rationale is part of the problem. Gamers seem to compulsively have this completionist mentality where they have to own EVERY single piece of official content without ever stopping to ask "will I get good use out of this?" We see this almost consistently here; after Bowling released for example, there were a number of threads about buyer's remorse where players expressed disappointment in their purchase. Promise you a majority of those very same people aren't going to learn a thing and they'll repeat that mistake with another pack some time in the future.

Really if anything, anyone who's opting for pre-ordering should probably take that as a sign that EA's got you roped in real tight. You've ceased being critical, you've ceased to even bother taking time to learn about the product before passing judgement, and you are now willing to blindly front the money on any packs they release. Either you're extremely easy to please, or when that buyer's remorse does strike, it's time to remind yourself you have no one to blame but yourself.

And yes, it's aggrivating for other consumers such as myself because while I'm trying real hard to call EA's attention to any lag or time distortion issues that are worsened by family play (both toddlers and kids are major contributors), the community is asking if they can give EA their money now, killing any and all incentive to fix some bugs that are highly relevant to the theme of this specific pack. Voting with your wallet is one of the best ways to make things happen (look at Mass Effect: Andromeda and it's animation tweaks), but pre-ordering is neglecting that vote entirely.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

Some people also decide to jump off cliffs, and that's their incentive and up to the individual. That doesn't make it a logically sound desire.

Your argument is more or less that making about 15 clicks is such a huge inconvenience that you'd rather pre-order a product you know next to nothing about. Meanwhile, the ramnification of such a practice - not due to one individual but of many individuals following that practice - is that companies often get away with a drop in quality so long as they can hype people up to purchase before people can see the flaws. Sims 4 itself had EA withholding press release copies because there was likely a fear they'd lose out on sales if people saw reviews before purchasing.

When we're talking about the industry as a whole, pre-orders are more damaging than good, and you've not really provided much reason to justify them; it's difficult to take "oh no I'd have to click 15 times again" seriously. Companies that do not allow for pre-orders have more incentive to ensure their game is up to snuff, whereas there HAVE been examples in the video game industry of a game making bank off pre-orders but never quite patching up quality.

orkhid22 wrote: »

i've stopped commenting on his posts for this very reason. the information delivered is good however 1) the delivery plum. first thing that comes to my mind is jerk but i remembered my goal for 2017 is to not be petty. 2) lack of knowledge of other peoples situation and their motives for pre-ordering.

If asking people to challenge their own thoughts and think critically of their actions makes me a jerk, then I dunno what to tell you.
    SimTrippy wrote: »

In what universe do most games offer pre-orders for their alpha or beta stages? Seriously, beyond tiny indie games that need said money for development, I've never heard of this being a thing.

The motto absolutely applies to any and all digital pre-orders simply because we lack incentive to pre-order. All of your statements, such as "I'm going to buy anyways," do not justify giving them money in advance. You are in no way harming yourself by holding onto that cash until release day or until you've seen the livestream.

It's really quite simple. You have two options:

A) Wait and inform yourself as much as possible about a purchase by using resources such as livestreams, early access reviews and informative articles, then make your decision to purchase or not based on the information gathered.

B.) Blindly throw money at EA because they did a thing. We dunno really know what the thing is yet, but oh my god it's a thing, so let me mortgage my house real quick.

There is zero meaningful motivation to opt for choice B. All of the arguments anyone has proposed thusfar have the problem where they're either ridiculously petty motivations or the rationale of "I'm going to buy it anyways" does NOT motivate you to purchase now when, as stated, you can still adhere to that belief and still inform yourself and wait.

What's more, that "I'm going to buy it anyways" rationale is part of the problem. Gamers seem to compulsively have this completionist mentality where they have to own EVERY single piece of official content without ever stopping to ask "will I get good use out of this?" We see this almost consistently here; after Bowling released for example, there were a number of threads about buyer's remorse where players expressed disappointment in their purchase. Promise you a majority of those very same people aren't going to learn a thing and they'll repeat that mistake with another pack some time in the future.

Really if anything, anyone who's opting for pre-ordering should probably take that as a sign that EA's got you roped in real tight. You've ceased being critical, you've ceased to even bother taking time to learn about the product before passing judgement, and you are now willing to blindly front the money on any packs they release. Either you're extremely easy to please, or when that buyer's remorse does strike, it's time to remind yourself you have no one to blame but yourself.

And yes, it's aggrivating for other consumers such as myself because while I'm trying real hard to call EA's attention to any lag or time distortion issues that are worsened by family play (both toddlers and kids are major contributors), the community is asking if they can give EA their money now, killing any and all incentive to fix some bugs that are highly relevant to the theme of this specific pack. Voting with your wallet is one of the best ways to make things happen (look at Mass Effect: Andromeda and it's animation tweaks), but pre-ordering is neglecting that vote entirely.

deuces
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited May 2017
    No one needs to explain their reasoning for pre-ordering something. It's your money and no one else gets to say anything about it.
    MadameLee wrote: »

Game in the UK has GP and SP preorders but it's still just a code and you can't use it till the game releases on Origin. I haven't seen a US preorder for a GP, at least not for the last one and maybe the one before that.
    Amazon in the US put the Vampire pack up for pre-order. According to simsvip, CDkeys also has a pre-order for Parenthood pack.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @DeservedCriticism tl:dr and I don't care anyway :p

I am not usually deliberately rude but to wake up to such a post before work on a Monday morning kind of got my goat. I don't need to justify my choices in life to anyone here.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited May 2017
    Btw cdkeys has it for only £13!!
    Screen_Shot_2017-05-22_at_12.30.41.png
    giphy_1.gif
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    @DeservedCriticism why are you writing a huge essay over if someone wants to preorder something or not? it's up to them, it is their money. Not yours therefore they can do what they want with it.
    giphy_1.gif
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    Btw cdkeys has it for only £13!!
    Screen_Shot_2017-05-22_at_12.30.41.png

Oh cool thx for that, just pre-ordered for the first time myself since they also had another game I wanted for 12 less than on steam ^^
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    When we buy in another place that Origin, the gamepack is nevertheless displayed on Origin or not?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    When we buy in another place that Origin, the gamepack is nevertheless displayed on Origin or not?

They send you a code which you then redeem on Origin to get the game.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.