Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

INFO - Vanilla Network Will Be Under Maintenance. Details On Thread.

mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
Hello, Fellow Simmers! Just a Heads Up.

Vanilla, the company which hosts this forum have announced they will be doing a bit of maintenance on their network on Sunday, May 21st. During this time they have warned there may be connectivity issues; so heads up everyone!

Scheduled Maintenance
Disruptive Network Maintenance
Sunday, May 21, 03:00-04:00 EDT
A switch will be replaced in our hosting environment on May 21, 2017 at 03:00AM EDT. The maintenance window is scheduled for 1 hour. There will be connectivity loss during some of this time.

We apologize for the inconvenience this will cause.
Posted on May 5, 11:13 EDT

If you scroll down to the bottom of the forum page and look in the lower right-hand corner you will see the 'vanilla' logo. Click on it and it will take you to their page. Once you are on their page, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on 'Service Status' and it will take you to their service page where the announcement is.

Comments

• mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Why has this been moved to the Forum Ideas & Feedback section? Is there another notification in place which I am unaware of?
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Well this is for forums and you are sharing information regarding the forums so I don't see why it wouldn't fit here. :) Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll mostly just game that day.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
    This is also time sensitive information and it needs to be placed where as many Simmers as possible can see it. Otherwise, there may be a repeat of what happened a couple of weeks ago when EA did maintenance banning people from this site and not many knew what was going on.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    People weren't really banned from the site. It's just that the page error message kind of made it look like that ("you don't have permission to be here, go away" or whatever is not the best thing to see when a server based system is down) for an unexpected 19 hours and the advance notice given beforehand was far too brief.

If this is really only for one hour beginning at 3am EDT, I think I'll plan to sleep through it. Though of course I realize not everyone is in the same time zone, maybe we should all at least try to take naps at that time? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited May 2017
    @igazor

Hi, Igazor! :)

Last maintenance, I found out after the fact I wasn't wrongfully banned! This is after I contacted EA and was told there was no scheduled maintenance and the site was working just fine; it was something wrong on my end. They suggested I contact my ISP to get to the root of the problem; which I did! The whole event was unnecessary and carried unwanted stress for me. So, I thought I would give a heads up to spare people what I went through in the event they had an issue with this site on that day.

With people coming on site from different places at different times, I thought I would post early enough for word to make its rounds but, the moderators of this site have other ideas which is why I am now reaching Simmers in as many ways as I can.

Hope you are having a great day!

-Marie
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    I don't believe this unless I get it from a Guru..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    I saw this message last week when I was trying to check on the status of site when it was down but it's not there now as I just checked it and it's no longer on the Vanilla Home page. Last week when I kept checking the Vanilla page, it was coming up as a chart.
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    Try making a post on your page, that way people lurking through the activity feed can see it, and then they can tell their friends too. If you're part of a community, post in a general/chat thread (that already exists) as well to let people know. And you can put it in your signature too, that way people going by in threads can see it there as well. A good portion should learn this way, but it won't reach everyone. Hopefully the Guru's post several days ahead of time to avoid the panic.

@MadameLee Just follow the instructions she posted to find it, then scroll a bit. Here: http://status.vanillaforums.com
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    > @MizoreYukii said:
    > Try making a post on your page, that way people lurking through the activity feed can see it, and then they can tell their friends too. If you're part of a community, post in a general/chat thread (that already exists) as well to let people know. And you can put it in your signature too, that way people going by in threads can see it there as well. A good portion should learn this way, but it won't reach everyone. Hopefully the Guru's post several days ahead of time to avoid the panic.
    >
    > @MadameLee Just follow the instructions she posted to find it, then scroll a bit. Here: http://status.vanillaforums.com

I'm afraid it's a false message because the OP doesn't have the title of "Guru" or "Staff" member. I can only trust one of them to give me that kind of message
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited May 2017
    > @MadameLee said:
    > > @MizoreYukii said:
    > > Try making a post on your page, that way people lurking through the activity feed can see it, and then they can tell their friends too. If you're part of a community, post in a general/chat thread (that already exists) as well to let people know. And you can put it in your signature too, that way people going by in threads can see it there as well. A good portion should learn this way, but it won't reach everyone. Hopefully the Guru's post several days ahead of time to avoid the panic.
    > >
    > > @MadameLee Just follow the instructions she posted to find it, then scroll a bit. Here: http://status.vanillaforums.com
    >
    > I'm afraid it's a false message because the OP doesn't have the title of "Guru" or "Staff" member. I can only trust one of them to give me that kind of message

It is listed on the Vanilla website though, the people who host these forums....Regardless if it is fake or not, it is only for an hour. Just take it as a "maybe". I doubt it will affect us in the grand scheme of things anyways, but having a warning is nice.
    Post edited by MizoreYukii on
    @MadameLee - Message isn't fake but you wait for official word from a Guru. Hopefully, this site won't be affected, but should something happen at least people will have an idea of what it could be related to.

@lisasc360 - This is how I originally saw it. The message is still there, I just checked. Did you scroll all the way to the bottom of their home page where the 'contact us' information is usually found? Click on "Service Status', it is there.

@MizoreYukii - I've placed this in other locations besides this forum where Simmers may see it. Message isn't fake. It is still on the Vanilla website under the section of 'Service Status'.
    @mw1525 I know it isn't fake, I'm trying to explain to them to just take it as a warning, regardless if it is from a Guru or not. xD
    @MizoreYukii - Thank You. I understand people do post 'fake' messages from time to time, which is why I included instructions so people could read this information for themselves. I never for a moment thought It would be suggested I was a liar just because I am an ordinary Simmer and not a part of the staff. :(

Madame Lee wrote:
    I'm afraid it's a false message because the OP doesn't have the title of "Guru" or "Staff" member. I can only trust one of them to give me that kind of message
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Hey thanks for sharing the information. :mrgreen:
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
    @ChocoCub - You are welcome.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Thank-you for sharing, OP.

It sounds like something I'll hardly notice if I even try to get on the forums at that time at all. Like I'd probably try to open the site, realise it wasn't working and go do something else for 5 minutes to see if it came back up quickly or not, and that 5 minutes would really be like an hour or 2 anyway lol. But it's nice to have the warning in case, or for people who it may affect more.

I'm still shaking my head at the "it might be false" accusations, and it's been like 3 hours since I first saw this. I can't even believe that with posted proof people still won't believe it. Either way it's news about a forum maintenance that may not even affect a very large part of at least the North American simmers, other timezones might notice it much more though. It's not like it's a groundbreaking EP announcement (if a sims 4 EP announcement could be called that) or something. I just don't get the big deal about that at all. Who's going to lie about a 1-hour forum maintenance, like really? And given the lack of information about the last sims forum maintenance, that horribly long ominous one where I found out HOURS later on facebook after several others started asking there that it was just a forum maintenance and no nobody was banned. Well, I'm not sure how much faith that gives me in the sims staff to deliver these messages to us. But whatever.
  • MeeshelbyMeeshelby Posts: 1,914 Member
    Thanks for the info!!
    @dreamerz13 & @Meeshelby - you are welcome.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited May 2017
    It is still there when I checked at the time of this posting 16.43 uk 20th May. Thanks for the information OP
    Scheduled Maintenance

Disruptive Network Maintenance Scheduled for May 21, 03:00-04:00 EDT

A switch will be replaced in our hosting environment on May 21, 2017 at 03:00AM EDT. The maintenance window is scheduled for 1 hour. There will be connectivity loss during some of this time.

We apologize for the inconvenience this will cause.
    Posted on May 5, 11:13 EDT
    Before people call out others for giving false information why don't they do the check I did. The Vanilla Forum link is always at the bottom of the page. I've always found Forum info. helpful in the past.
    @Mchap353 - Thank you for confirming the message is still there.