March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 2.0

Comments

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    BlackSand wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »

Gotcha.
    One thing concerning some<<< (see what I did there?) criticism of TS4 emanating from this part of the forum is that it is heavily tainted for reasons I described previously. Whether they are willing to admit it or not...their disappointment over the things S4 didn't carry over definitely effects how they view TS4 as a whole. This is not an indictment.it's human nature...

In other words this isn't exactly the place to hang if you want an objective opinion of TS4.

Uzone...*puts on flak jacket... B)

Ya Think?
    But then again ... This is our house ... B)
    Thing is, the Sims 4 section isn't exactly the place if you want an objective opinion of TS4 either ;) Nobody is objective on these boards, we are all biased in one way or the other.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. I can be objective about the game in either section. I can admit the short comings of TS3 and the triumphs of TS4 and I can also say what TS3 does better and what TS4 is lacking. I just happen to think that TS3 is the superior game and it's my favorite of the series; however, that doesn't make my objectivity non-existent.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    aricarai wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    BlackSand wrote: »

Gotcha.
    One thing concerning some<<< (see what I did there?) criticism of TS4 emanating from this part of the forum is that it is heavily tainted for reasons I described previously. Whether they are willing to admit it or not...their disappointment over the things S4 didn't carry over definitely effects how they view TS4 as a whole. This is not an indictment.it's human nature...

In other words this isn't exactly the place to hang if you want an objective opinion of TS4.

Uzone...*puts on flak jacket... B)

Ya Think?
    But then again ... This is our house ... B)
    Thing is, the Sims 4 section isn't exactly the place if you want an objective opinion of TS4 either ;) Nobody is objective on these boards, we are all biased in one way or the other.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. I can be objective about the game in either section. I can admit the short comings of TS3 and the triumphs of TS4 and I can also say what TS3 does better and what TS4 is lacking. I just happen to think that TS3 is the superior game and it's my favorite of the series; however, that doesn't make my objectivity non-existent.
    One simmer doesn't represent a whole section of course ;) The statement was that 'criticism of TS4 emanating from this part of the forum is heavily tainted' and that 'this isn't exactly the place to hang if you want an objective opinion of TS4'. Which to me seems to imply people who say things about Sims 4 in this section must be taken with a grain of salt because they are not objective by default (including you apparently, according to the simmer who says it); when you want an objective view on Sims 4 you'll only find that in the Sims 4 section. Well, no. Being biased goes both ways ;) I see a lot of very subjective Sims 4 defending in the TS4 section.

(apart from the fact that whole statement has nothing to do with anything, because this topic handles how Sims 3 fans feel about a next Sims game and nobody can answer that question more accurately than a Sims 3 fan and it really doesn't matter in what section they are doing it)

(p.s. I think we are saying sort of the same thing by the way ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited May 2017
    Most of us in the TS3 forum have played either the Sims 4 demo and found it lacking or have played the actual "released" game. Just because we take exception to certain aspects that we've found missing in Sims 4, doesn't make our opinions any less objective than those players who have been playing Sims 4 for a long time. As far as we are concerned, we've taken a measure of Sims 4, compared it to the previous iteration and found it sorely lacking.

To the Sims 4 proponents - If you like the game, good for you. But for me, it's lacking so much that I will NOT put down good money for a game that I find is not playable to my style of gameplay.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Most of us in the TS3 forum have played either the Sims 4 demo and found it lacking or have played the actual "released" game. Just because we take exception to certain aspects that we've found missing in Sims 4, doesn't make our opinions any less objective than those players who have been playing Sims 4 for a long time. As far as we are concerned, we've taken a measure of Sims 4, compared it to the previous iteration and found it sorely lacking.

To the Sims 4 proponents - If you like the game, good for you. But for me, it's lacking so much that I will NOT put down good money for a game that I find is not playable to my style of gameplay.

I own it. But just the base game. I've played it. Every once-in-a-while I try and play it again and am once again reminded of all that is missing. Which is why I have never bought a SP, GP or EP for it. I refuse to send good money after bad in the hopes that doing so might improve my play experience. The basics are not there. No create-a-style and no edit town and especially, no open world. I could edit the town in Sims 2. It didn't bother me in Sims 1 because I didn't know what I was missing.

Back to the Sims roots? Back to basics? Back to focusing on the sims themselves? They can spin it however they like, they went beyond going "back" it's missing so much. I didn't ask them to go back, they should have gone forward.

And it's boring. Stuck on the home lot. Watching the same townies walk by in the loop. I can't do it.

So I'll stay with Sims 3.

• MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    edited May 2017
    After reading, and contemplating a bit.
    TS>TS2>TS3... ...TS4
    (something went very wrong).

in comparison:
    Elite>Elite2>Elite:F>Elite:DA -a forward evolution of a franchise.
    If Elite Dangerous ended up like Deepspace, I wouldn't say it'd be bad. Just something went terribly wrong somewhere.
    If The Elder Scrolls, after Skyrim creates TES VI, a dungeon corridor shooter... ...I will surely say something has gone terribly wrong. -It might be a frightingly good corridor shooter, but its not open world (to use open world as an example) Ergo... Something's gone awry.

THAT is the plain fact about TS4. Its a 'good game' but they messed up, by offensively remove the innovation TS was from the beginning up to and with TS3.

Since the beginning of computergames, there must either be innovation, consistency or improvement. Prefferably all three. In my opinion, TS4 breaks with all three of these 'rules'. -Then I find games, subjectively, boring and gives a plums plum about it. I sincerely believe a lot of pre-TS4 simmers also feels like that.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I think we are going off topic. Which isn't strange since the OP removed the OP, but now it appears to be turning into an anti Sims 4 topic and personally I think that's a shame. The point of the OP was that Sims 3 fans want a Sims 3 2.0. Which as such is an interesting discussion. Do we?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Maybe. But as long as we're making wish lists, here's an idea I haven't seen expressed before.

How about if they split/spin off the series and give us both a TS3.5 and a TS4.5 (or 5.0) at the same time, from different development teams, in the future?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited May 2017
    @JoAnne65 - Fair enough, fair enough.
    Maybe(?) we are getting off topic, but TS3 2.0 is rather irrelevant. -It is the best bait to turn anything into a fire and brimstone-talk. It'd be better, imho, to clarify why people might have such aversions to either game. Then, maybe then, zealous TS4's could actually 'talk' with equally zealous TS3's (and previous iterations). -and mayyyyybeee be able to convince future devs how a future iteration of TS should/would/ought to be.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited May 2017
    It's funny how people think they are disagreeing with me when actually they really aren't.
    The point of this thread was that it sometimes seems as if all Sims 3 fans really wanted was a reskinning of the exact same game

One of the things giving people this impression (in addition to the fact that Sims 3 fans want their stuff back) is that with the exception of CAS every new feature of TS4 has also come under fire.

Considering millions of people are playing and enjoying the new features I think we can safely assume these new features can't be all that bad.

In fact they are so good in the eyes of some Simmers (myself included) we have forgiven their sins of omission and embraced TS4 for what it is...

In your (collective) defense I was suggesting that had most of the old stuff not gone missing a lot of the criticism of the new features would have been significantly diminished and many of you would be playing and enjoying TS4 today eliminating the impression that what you (collectively) wanted was Sims 3 redux.

Make sense?
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Maybe. But as long as we're making wish lists, here's am idea I haven't seen expressed before.

How about if they split/spin off the series and give us both a TS3.5 and a TS4.5 (or 5.0) at the same time, from different development teams, in the future?
    @igazor You mean, seriously ? (I'm not sarcastic, it's a genuine question)
    Because I'm also thinking that maybe this is the symptom that something must be done. That maybe the future of the Sims franchise is 2 different franchises, for different publics. One more casual and more kid-friendly like TS4, and one more complex that will truly satisfy gamers again. But would the Sims' spirit be lost in the process ?... They surely wouldn't even be called "the Sims". But I'd surely like to try the second product.

@Uzone27 While I can understand that things can look like this, especially when it comes to EPs, let's remember that 99% of all members here have no experience in game development. If you don't have much knowledge in this area, how can you suggest to create something that's both truly innovative and technically possible in 2017 ? It's not just a matter of nostalgia contrary to what some people are suggesting. Ideas behind a truly innovative game will most of the time come from skilled developers. You need the right tools to have the right ideas for a new product. It's when you're already concretely developing a project that you get new ideas. Members aren't to blame for reusing ideas. It's pretty normal.
    Candyd wrote: »
    Maybe. But as long as we're making wish lists, here's am idea I haven't seen expressed before.

Because I'm also thinking that maybe this is the symptom that something must be done. That maybe the future of the Sims franchise is 2 different franchises, for different publics. One more casual and more kid-friendly like TS4, and one more complex that will truly satisfy gamers again. But would the Sims' spirit be lost in the process ?... They surely wouldn't even be called "the Sims". But I'd surely like to try the second product.

@Uzone27 While I can understand that things can look like this, especially when it comes to EPs, let's remember that 99% of all members here have no experience in game development. If you don't have much knowledge in this area, how can you suggest to create something that's both truly innovative and technically possible in 2017 ? It's not just a matter of nostalgia contrary to what some people are suggesting. Ideas behind a truly innovative game will most of the time come from skilled developers. You need the right tools to have the right ideas for a new product. It's when you're already concretely developing a project that you get new ideas. Members aren't to blame for reusing ideas. It's pretty normal.

Non-sequitur...
    Pretty sure you tagged the wrong poster. :)

I never really gave that idea any serious thought until now, it just popped into my head. But why not? And it's not really serious vs. kid-friendly, just speaking to players who prefer one platform over the other for any reason. Or who like both at different times -- of course two sets of development teams means much more overhead, but potentially a lot more in sales as well.

The idea is not to further split and isolate an already divided customer base, but to expand the roof over the building that is The Sims that we all share. Or something poetic like that. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited May 2017
    So if wanting Sims 4 to have had open world and Create-A-Style retained; perhaps we were expecting Sims3 2.0 but as @Mazakeen said, I think we were expecting a worthy Sims 4 successor which built on the previous iteration with new features. And that wasn't what we got. What we got was a monumental step backwards. They completely trashed every bit of progress that came along with the Sims 3 and gave us Sims 1 in 2014 wrappings expecting us all to eat it up and "be happy"... Well, some of us aren't...

But when you have loading screens to go to a neighbour's house, you end up creating something worse than a closed-world situation. Your house is a separate entity. When one plays in Sims 4; nothing happens outside of your home while you are playing inside the home - it's like the outside world doesn't exist. Whereas in Sims 3 if you looked outside the window, you see Sims going around their business doing their own thing - story progression. For my style of gameplay, rabbit-holes don't matter. If my Sim gets a rabbithole job...well, that's 6 hours I don't have to worry about him/her doing something stupid like setting a SimmerChar on fire while making Goopy Carbonara. I can concentrate on doing something that will mess with his/her little Sim mind when he/she gets home from work like tearing his/her house down and rebuilding all the way up or doing other things to the lots. But the thing is while that Sim is at work, it's not like nothing happens in the neighborhood, you see kids going to school, you see adults going to work or townies hanging around the park. Every Sim is doing its own thing.

If I wanted a social interaction simulator where I wanted to blather on and on to one Sim or more Sims, I'd just pop open Evie and talk to her. She's just as responsive and irritating as doing anything in the Sims 4 and she comes up with better non-sequitur answers. And a 30-45 sec. loading screen to go from one's house to the park...I'm surprised that my Sim doesn't forget what it was that he/she was sent to do in the first place. Yes, we got those 3 minutes loading screens in TS3 WA but at least there it felt like they were going somewhere to do something. Whereas forget WA type adventures in Sims 4. Loading screens to visit every single market place (bookstore - loading screen, general store - loading screen, market food vendor - loading screen...), every tomb. every sightseeing location? And then they want to add other locations to it too - not just Egypt, France and China. With TS3 WA you got to go to Map View and get a birds-eye view of the whole map and you could go to ANY Location on the map...not just directly to a lot. which is what everyone will be restricted to with any attempt to recreate TS3 WA experience in a Sims 4 expansion pack. At least in TS3 we could stand "between" the lots if we wanted to or go anywhere on the map - no restrictions unless the place was outside the playing area of the constructed world.

Secondly, they blew Create-A-Style completely away...and left us with very limited options for clothing for the Sims, but oh, we're supposed to be sooo happy that we can dress our sim like a HOTDOG!??? :/ Meh... No color palette, no style options...no way to customize your Sim's clothing to not be a carbon copy of another Sim walking down the street. We can't dress our Sims the way that we want to using the color palette to customize the Sim's clothing to the color or style that we want her to have.

There is no CAW option either in TS4. Meaning what lots you have are what YOU are stuck with. You want to place a lot on that blank area of land on the map? Sorry...no dice. You're stuck with the SINGLE empty lot that you're given for that neighborhood that you're plunked into and if you want to go visit your neighbours to diffuse the boredom, oh...sorry...you can't do that either...unless you endure our loading screen. Of course if you don't care that you have no interaction with your neighbours then that won't bother TS4 players.

Thirdly: Welcome to the PRAIRIES! Your lot is flat. There is no terrain mapping...or editing features. You get a grid...to build a flat terrain house ho hum...yep...no topographical features at all. WYSIWYG. Wow...we just went back to Sims 2. We can't have raised or lowered terrain on our lot. Want a gentle slope going up to your house? Forget it...Can't have it.

Fourthly: NO cars...no pools, no ghosts, no burglars, no cops, firemen or anything else until we're waiting for the next EXPANSION PACK...KACHING!!!! Hellooooo...more $$$$$. Goody...

Well, hey...at least the plus side is that I can breed cowplants and have an angry poop. Yeah... :/

Rant done.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    So if wanting Sims 4 to have had open world and Create-A-Style retained; perhaps we were expecting Sims3 2.0 but as @Mazakeen said, I think we were expecting a worthy Sims 4 successor which built on the previous iteration with new features. And that wasn't what we got. What we got was a monumental step backwards. They completely trashed every bit of progress that came along with the Sims 3 and gave us Sims 1 in 2014 wrappings expecting us all to eat it up and "be happy"... Well, some of us aren't...

But when you have loading screens to go to a neighbour's house, you end up creating something worse than a closed-world situation. Your house is a separate entity. When one plays in Sims 4; nothing happens outside of your home while you are playing inside the home - it's like the outside world doesn't exist. Whereas in Sims 3 if you looked outside the window, you see Sims going around their business doing their own thing - story progression. For my style of gameplay, rabbit-holes don't matter. If my Sim gets a rabbithole job...well, that's 6 hours I don't have to worry about him/her doing something plum like setting a SimmerChar on fire while making Goopy Carbonara. I can concentrate on doing something that will mess with his/her little Sim mind when he/she gets home from work like tearing his/her house down and rebuilding all the way up or doing other things to the lots. But the thing is while that Sim is at work, it's not like nothing happens in the neighborhood, you see kids going to school, you see adults going to work or townies hanging around the park. Every Sim is doing its own thing.

If I wanted a social interaction simulator where I wanted to blather on and on to one Sim or more Sims, I'd just pop open Evie and talk to her. She's just as responsive and irritating as doing anything in the Sims 4 and she comes up with better non-sequitur answers. And a 30-45 sec. loading screen to go from one's house to the park...I'm surprised that my Sim doesn't forget what it was that he/she was sent to do in the first place. Yes, we got those 3 minutes loading screens in TS3 WA but at least there it felt like they were going somewhere to do something. Whereas forget WA type adventures in Sims 4. Loading screens to visit every single market place (bookstore - loading screen, general store - loading screen, market food vendor - loading screen...), every tomb. every sightseeing location? And then they want to add other locations to it too - not just Egypt, France and China. With TS3 WA you got to go to Map View and get a birds-eye view of the whole map and you could go to ANY Location on the map...not just directly to a lot. which is what everyone will be restricted to with any attempt to recreate TS3 WA experience in a Sims 4 expansion pack. At least in TS3 we could stand "between" the lots if we wanted to or go anywhere on the map - no restrictions unless the place was outside the playing area of the constructed world.

Secondly, they blew Create-A-Style completely away...and left us with very limited options for clothing for the Sims, but oh, we're supposed to be sooo happy that we can dress our sim like a HOTDOG!??? :/ Meh... No color palette, no style options...no way to customize your Sim's clothing to not be a carbon copy of another Sim walking down the street. We can't dress our Sims the way that we want to using the color palette to customize the Sim's clothing to the color or style that we want her to have.

There is no CAW option either in TS4. Meaning what lots you have are what YOU are stuck with. You want to place a lot on that blank area of land on the map? Sorry...no dice. You're stuck with the SINGLE empty lot that you're given for that neighborhood that you're plunked into and if you want to go visit your neighbours to diffuse the boredom, oh...sorry...you can't do that either...unless you endure our loading screen. Of course if you don't care that you have no interaction with your neighbours then that won't bother TS4 players.

Thirdly: Welcome to the PRAIRIES! Your lot is flat. There is no terrain mapping...or editing features. You get a grid...to build a flat terrain house ho hum...yep...no topographical features at all. WYSIWYG. Wow...we just went back to Sims 2. We can't have raised or lowered terrain on our lot. Want a gentle slope going up to your house? Forget it...Can't have it.

Fourthly: NO cars...no pools, no ghosts, no burglars, no cops, firemen or anything else until we're waiting for the next EXPANSION PACK...KACHING!!!! Hellooooo...more $$$$$. Goody...

Well, hey...at least the plus side is that I can breed cowplants and have an angry poop. Yeah... :/

Rant done.

^I think this pretty much sums up what I was trying to get across.... B)
    edited May 2017

I never really gave that idea any serious thought until now, it just popped into my head. But why not? And it's not really serious vs. kid-friendly, just speaking to players who prefer one platform over the other for any reason. Or who like both at different times -- of course two sets of development teams means much more overhead, but potentially a lot more in sales as well.

The idea is not to further split and isolate an already divided customer base, but to expand the roof over the building that is The Sims that we all share. Or something poetic like that. ;)

Yeaaaah. -To that new idea that popped up. - I wouldn't touch it with a hot poker.
    Its a pandoras box of... ...challenges.
    Microsoft tried it for years with OS' and Office. Neh it just cannot(?) work for games, unless you subscribe at the game. These days, subscriptional games only do so and so. -and if you subscribe, microtransactions will propably get renewed attention. -Today, only free2play can get away with microtransactions. Just saying.

Edit: With the exception of Eve Online.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
    @Nikkei_Simmer - Double Awesome.
    Thank You. You are adding what I didn't have breath to say.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
    @Mazakeen I type at 63wpm. :D And I tend to have a big mouth...at least that's what my wife says. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer - Good traits.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
    edited May 2017
    Mazakeen wrote: »
    Yeaaaah. -To that new idea that popped up. - I wouldn't touch it with a hot poker.
    Microsoft tried it for years with OS' and Office. Neh it just cannot(?) work for games, unless you subscribe at the game. These days, subscriptional games only do so and so. -and if you subscribe, microtransactions will propably get renewed attention. -Today, only free2play can get away with microtransactions. Just saying.

I have no idea what you are talking about. My suggestion was to split a popular line of products into two popular lines of products, with both of them being actively developed more less in parallel. No one said anything about subscription models.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

I have no idea what you are talking about. My suggestion was to split a popular line of products into two popular lines of products, with both of them being actively developed more less in parallel. No one said anything about subscription models.

True. I said that about subs. -I just built on what you said, like thee devils advocate. -Nice idea, but there are but's with all ideas. I'd love all Skoda's being handcrafted with a Ferrarri-engine, but it would be rather toooo costly.
    Just splitting a franchise on several platforms is plum. Imagine multiplying it (production) with two?
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...

True. I said that about subs. -I just built on what you said, like thee devils advocate. -Nice idea, but there are but's with all ideas. I'd love all Skoda's being handcrafted with a Ferrarri-engine, but it would be rather toooo costly.
    Just splitting a franchise on several platforms is plum. Imagine multiplying it (production) with two?
    Sounds like exactly what they are doing with Sims Mobile right now. There is no reason that a company like EA can't do more than one thing at the same time. But in the case of my idea, it's only just a fantasy... ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

Sounds like exactly what they are doing with Sims Mobile right now. There is no reason that a company like EA can't do more than one thing at the same time. But in the case of my idea, it's only just a fantasy... ;)

I'm trying to wrap my head around how two different products on the same platform would distinguish themselves?
    The features that were removed which make the game seem less "sophisticated" were removed for performance reasons, not to punish Sims 3 fans.

Is the idea to publish another game just for high end computer users?
    edited May 2017

I'm trying to wrap my head around how two different products on the same platform would distinguish themselves?
    The features that were removed which make the game seem less "sophisticated" were removed for performance reasons, not to punish Sims 3 fans.

I could see where these two fictitious products I just made up might have system requirements that differ from each other.

But no. The idea is to make more customers more happy more of the time. Not every idea that comes out of players' minds has some kind of conspiracy or nefarious motive behind it. And, for the record, my own simming computer can hardly be called "high end," mid-range at best for over five years ago when I purchased it.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited May 2017

I could see where these two fictitious products I just make up might have system requirements that differ from each other.

But no. The idea is to make more customers more happy more of the time. Not every idea that comes out of players' minds has some kind of conspiracy or nefarious motive behind it. And, for the record, my own simming computer can barely be called "high end," mid-range at best for over five years ago when I purchased it.

Where did that even come from? Uzone *scratches head

All I was wondering was how/why EA would double down on it's investment and create it's own competition?
    It's not as if they would be tapping a new market, just dividing the existing one, and doubling the overhead.

I was just curious as to how the games would differ enough to justify such a thing.
    You put it out there I was just curious is all.